Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How do I delete a page I've created?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: How do I delete a page I've created? Reply with quote

The answer might be right under my nose but I missed it.

I created a redundant page that I'd like to nuke. Any help appreciated.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only sysops can delete pages. You can request a delete by using the (and I'm just guessing here; haven't looked through the wiki, but I've been on wikis for long enough to say this with certainty) {{delete}} template.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
Only sysops can delete pages. You can request a delete by using the (and I'm just guessing here; haven't looked through the wiki, but I've been on wikis for long enough to say this with certainty) {{delete}} template.

No, you're thinking of MediaWiki (Wikipedia). There aren't any templates in WikkaWiki. (There aren't even any namespaces.)

However, A page or category that sysops could check for pages that need deletion probably should be created. There's a maintenance list being maintained on rkcr's user page, but that's all we've got at the moment.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rckr actually put in a better solution, he redirects the page to the one with content.
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
machchunk wrote:

No, you're thinking of MediaWiki (Wikipedia). There aren't any templates in WikkaWiki. (There aren't even any namespaces.)

However, A page or category that sysops could check for pages that need deletion probably should be created. There's a maintenance list being maintained on rkcr's user page, but that's all we've got at the moment.

I would think that adding the Category: CategoryDeletionRequired would be the best idea, because anyone could add to it once it's created.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
rckr actually put in a better solution, he redirects the page to the one with content.

I don't know if I really like the idea of this though because eventually the Scorehero Wiki will be FILLED with hundreds of useless pages that just redirect to a few different articles. It will make finding specific articles much more difficult I think. For example, we already have some "TTFAF" and "TWiE" song pages being created. When you click on them, it just redirects you to the system page. Why do they even exist, though? It's just taking up useless space and they should be deleted. I'm still not sure if we should have "Definition" pages or just have one big article called "GH_Terms" and fill it with things like whammy, front-end, back-end, pre-tilting, alt-strumming, optimal, upper-bound, and many more. We definitely need those things, but I'm just not sure if putting them altogether or not is a good idea. If we DO put them altogether, I'm not sure if we should keep and redirect all of the articles, or just delete them.

Also, why in the world do we keep things like "Scorehero.com" when "Scorehero" is already there. I mean maybe the mods haven't gotten to it yet and I completely understand that they're probably extremely busy, but this is just one of many examples of articles that definitely need to be deleted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if only moderators have this power or if everyone can delete the pages they've created, but wiki pages can be deleted by adding /delete to the end of the url.
For example, I found this out the hard way after creating a http://www.wiki.scorehero.com/BriGuy page instead of http://www.wiki.scorehero.com/user_BriGuy page.

I deleted the first one by entering http://www.wiki.scorehero.com/BriGuy/delete into the url bar and confirmed the delete.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
I'm not sure if only moderators have this power or if everyone can delete the pages they've created, but wiki pages can be deleted by adding /delete to the end of the url.
For example, I found this out the hard way after creating a http://www.wiki.scorehero.com/BriGuy page instead of http://www.wiki.scorehero.com/user_BriGuy page.

I deleted the first one by entering http://www.wiki.scorehero.com/BriGuy/delete into the url bar and confirmed the delete.
That's only for mods, I just tried to delete a page and it said "You are not allowed to delete pages." As much as I would like to have access to this feature to quickly delete incorrect userpages and such, I realize it's not really feasible to give that power to anyone since somebody could easily start deleting everything.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess until further notice, you can PM a mod to delete a page that you've created by mistake or other good reason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
blingdomepiece wrote:

I don't know if I really like the idea of this though because eventually the Scorehero Wiki will be FILLED with hundreds of useless pages that just redirect to a few different articles. It will make finding specific articles much more difficult I think. For example, we already have some "TTFAF" and "TWiE" song pages being created. When you click on them, it just redirects you to the system page. Why do they even exist, though? It's just taking up useless space and they should be deleted. I'm still not sure if we should have "Definition" pages or just have one big article called "GH_Terms" and fill it with things like whammy, front-end, back-end, pre-tilting, alt-strumming, optimal, upper-bound, and many more. We definitely need those things, but I'm just not sure if putting them altogether or not is a good idea. If we DO put them altogether, I'm not sure if we should keep and redirect all of the articles, or just delete them.

Also, why in the world do we keep things like "Scorehero.com" when "Scorehero" is already there. I mean maybe the mods haven't gotten to it yet and I completely understand that they're probably extremely busy, but this is just one of many examples of articles that definitely need to be deleted.

It's fair to disagree with redirects rather than deletion, because I do, too. My solution is not what I would prefer, but it's all I can do since I don't have any powers to delete pages.

Also, redirects are a good precursor for deletion. With a redirect, whoever was editing the page knows where to work further. Deletion would leave them in the dark as to what happened.

I think it's reasonable to expect some redirect pages to exist, when there's really two ways that people think of something (such as the official through the fire and flames page and "TTFAF"). But for the most part I'd rather pages be deleted in the long run.
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkcr wrote:

It's fair to disagree with redirects rather than deletion, because I do, too. My solution is not what I would prefer, but it's all I can do since I don't have any powers to delete pages.

I do entirely understand this and for NOW it is a good substitution.

rkcr wrote:

Also, redirects are a good precursor for deletion. With a redirect, whoever was editing the page knows where to work further. Deletion would leave them in the dark as to what happened.

I think it's reasonable to expect some redirect pages to exist, when there's really two ways that people think of something (such as the official through the fire and flames page and "TTFAF"). But for the most part I'd rather pages be deleted in the long run.

We just need to figure out where to draw the line at. When should a page be deleted instead of redirected? There are defintely times where both of these would be the better decision. Hopefully the mods can make the right decisions when those times come. I'm sure they will, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been a sysop over at Wikipedia, but I have a pretty good idea of how their jobs work with regard to deletion.

First - when to redirect? Typically, if a page is something like "TTFAF", it won't have content anyway, some idiot will just have created the page. If this is the case, content of that page will be deleted and it will be turned into a redirect page. I don't know how the "#REDIRECT [page]" code works outside of MediaWiki, but that tends to be the easiest solution for acronym pages.

If the page is not an acronym and has the same content as another page, it'll just be deleted.

Second - what sort of organizational system should be used? The way it's ended up on Wikipedia, most of the time pages are organized onto a "List of [type of list]", with the individual terms being redirected to their page. For example, if we wanted to have a "List of general Guitar Hero terms", we could put them in alphabetical order and have the terms redirect to their pages. It's an easy system, it stays organized since all you have to do is add new pages to it, and if the page gets too big, it can be split off into more specific sections.

Third - what the heck is WikkaWiki? I like the software that MediaWiki uses, and this system seems odd. No categories, no namespaces, and no templates? We're going to have a hell of a time trying to keep the right pages. Wikipedia is full of users who go to new pages and list them with {{delete}} (or {{db|reason}}/{{db-[type}}) so that sysops can delete them. Now, however, either we're going to have to have a huge percentage of sysops or there is going to be a large number of useless pages backlogged in the deletion realm. Without namespaces, things are going to be interested; namespaces are a very handy way to organize into user pages, content pages, and all the assorted things (essays about the wiki, rules, etc) that would end up in a "SHWiki" namespace. Without categories...*shudders*...it's going to be insane trying to find things in general areas. Suppose someone wants to just go to "songs". Instead of going straight to the "Category: Songs" page, they'll have to go to a list of all songs or go to the specific songs, both of which take much more time, especially if the user is unsure about the name of the song.

Whew, wall o' text. I'm interested to see how our wiki deals with all of this.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a redirect is a perfectly good solution. For example the other day there was a "permarocker" page and I accidentally created a "perma-rocker" page because it appeared as a Wanted Page. If you delete pages like this they are going to get recreated by some other well-meaning user. It also puts less pressure on people to remember the specific way they must link to every concept to have it resolve. I'm not saying you want to have a ton of redirects, but it seems to me that some quantity of redirection makes life easier, not harder.
SpikeX  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of adding more redirects rather than deleting them (as I admittedly have been), I'm the type of user who just likes to type things into the address bar to go to the page. So if I can type /GH3 instead of /Game_GuitarHeroIIILegendsOfRock, you better bet I want a redirect in place. It especially makes it easier for people writing articles, as well, as they can just go "blah blah, well in [[GH3 Guitar Hero 3]] blah blah" instead of using the really long name.

Also, I've noticed a lot of users are just creating links and not checking them. For example, I ran across a link to "GuitarHeroRockThe80s". Now, obviously this didn't exist nor should it, but my point is that users will publish links that don't exist. But if we cover most of the bases (GH3, GHIII, GuitarHero3, etc...), then when a user inadvertently links to an incorrect spelling of the page, at least the user clicking on the link will be redirected to the correct page instead of viewing a completely dead link.

We shouldn't be worried about "filling up" the wiki, unless the webserver is running out of database storage space, or WikkaWiki doesn't scale well, I don't forsee a problem if we redirect a few acronyms to their respectful pages.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with SpikeX and this was the reason I had just added redirects for GH1, GH2, and GH3 (wanting to be able to change the URL as a shortcut). I think it should only be done for acronyms that aren't ambiguous within SH terminology. Though even if an acronym is ambiguous, the page could be changed to contain several links and simply not redirect automatically. Storage is not an issue and the software makes use of page caching so it should scale just fine.

Regarding "what the heck is WikkaWiki", please read my post here: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16609

We do have categories, namespaces and templates, just not in the form that you're used to seeing. As I'm still trying to work out all the minor bugs being reported, I haven't had the chance to explain everything that is available, though some of you have figured some things out on your own.

Categories are built automatically based on context by simply including a link (just writing the text alone will auto-link) to the name of a category page somewhere (anywhere) within the page body. Then in the body of the category page, you simply write {{category}} and it generates a full listing of all pages in the category. Category pages are nothing more than pages in themselves, and therefore subcategories are easy to set up as well. There's a link in the main menu to the root of category navigation which should make everything very easy to find. rkcr has been a tremendous help regards to setting up and maintaining most of the categories thus far.

Namespaces have been simulated by reserving a prefix of the tags for particular subject domains. For example, no one is allowed to create pages that begin with Game, Song, or User (with exception of your username matching the text after "User_"). If the need arises, more can be made in the future. Drawing the parallel to Wikipedia, browsing the "main namespace" can be done through Categories and the PageIndex, whereas browsing the "user namespace" can be done through UserIndex; all accessible on the main menu from anywhere on the wiki.

Templates most definitely exist through the form of "actions", but I haven't explained them much yet. As an example, the infoboxes for song pages are generated from the actions, {{songinfo}} or {{songstats}}. What you probably don't know, is that you can pass parameters into that action to add more data to the infobox, such as:

{{songinfo
artist="artistname"
album="albumname"
genre="genrename"
album="albumname"
year="xxxx"}}

Note: if a pre-generated value from the database already exists in the infobox (i.e. artists for RB songs), it will take precedence over whatever you type.

That's just one example of a template that I've created, but as the need arises, many more can be added. I've also recently added templates for embedding certain videos:

{{youtube id="11-character-code-from-URL"}}
{{ustream id="integer-ID-from-embed-code"}}

and for embedding your XBL gamercards:

{{gamertag name="tagname"}}

This is just the beginning, and many more templates will be made for your use as requested. Another plan of mine is to create an action for a generic infobox where you can specify all the headings and data values to generate the entire box, possibly with other optional style-related parameters. And templates for more specific topics will be added as the need arises.

While I'm not well-parsed with MediaWiki's behavior, I could even create actions for {{delete}} and {{db|reason}} or anything else as you mention (if you explain how they work) in order to attempt to mimic the same behavior to help those who are familiar with editing Wikipedia.

As linked above in my post though, I feel WikkaWiki is much more flexible and given the plan to merge our dynamic score-tracking/song stats with user-generated content, many more possibilities are available here. There's nothing I see that can't be extended to cover the capabilities of MediaWiki; it's just a different interface with similar but slightly different syntax.

EDIT: I just realized everything I've said isn't really relevant to answering the topic question. As others have said, only wiki admins can delete pages. In terms of bringing attention to pages to delete, I like ManfredvonKarma's suggestion to add them to a new category such as CategoryDeletionRequired. That will generate a nice list for us of everything requested for delete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Wiki Brainstorming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: