Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Indie Music
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Indie Music Reply with quote

Well, there are threads for every other genre out there, but not my favorite. What's up with that? Don't give me that "Technically Indie isn't a genre" shit. You know what I mean. Generally Indie rock, Indie Pop, and even Indie Dance, but it encompasses a lot.

If you're unfamiliar with Indie...
Wikipedia wrote:
In popular music, independent music, often shortened to indie music or "indie", is a term used to describe independence from major commercial record labels and an autonomous, Do-It-Yourself approach to recording and publishing.

Independent labels have been known to strive for minimal influence on the artist they represent, avoiding the artist-cultivating behavior of many major labels. Artists represented by Independent labels have been known to be focused more on producing music than becoming wealthy and/or well known.

I didn't start getting into the subculture until pretty recently. I found the music to be kind of boring or whiny or just unpleasant until I really gave it a listen.

It just feels like more to me now. It's deep. Usually the lyrics are super meaningful. Very deep with hidden emotions and deeper meanings. It's an indescribable feeling to listen to a good indie track or album. I was first introduced to the style back when my friends were raving over Radiohead. I hated Radiohead (You can even find evidence of my hatred of them in old SH posts). Recently my fellow "metalhead" brother started listening to indie. He convinced me to give it a serious try too.

The first album I listened to was Hospice by The Antlers. It remains my favorite album of all time. I was hooked after that. I used Pitchfork as my source of indie and completely immersed myself in the culture. It's nearly all I listen to now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the thread. I want to know who listens to indie (we're going to use the loosest definition of the genre for this thread) and everything about your listening of it. Your favorite bands, favorite songs, favorite record labels, how you started listening to it (no one starts with indie), your source of indie, etc etc etc...

I'll go first.

Since I'm fairly new to the scene, most of my favorite bands so far are new or have new albums this year. I'm trying to go back and find great bands from past years, but it's like playing catch up. I'll link my favorite song from each band too.

The Antlers - my all time favorite band, and needless to say, my favorite indie band

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion blew me away. I went back and listened to every album after that. Here Comes Indian is now my favorite.

The XX - love the mixing and the combo male female vocals

Dirty Projectors - I'm really only heard Bitte Orca, but I'm going back to listen to all of their music now.

Sunset Rubdown - Probably my second favorite indie band right now. Dragonslayer blew my mind. I looooove Silver Moons.

Bloc Party - Yeah, who knew? I didn't really like Helicopter from GH3 back when I played, but now I love their stuff. I guess I just learned how to listen to it.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago may be my second favorite indie album. I can't wait until more releases are out from Justin Vernon (He only has one album and one EP). I just love those artists who go into isolation (teehee Peter Silberman).

Volcano Choir - needless to say, I like this band. Pretty much Bon Iver + post rock sound from Collections of Colonies of Bees

Death Cab for Cutie - and I used to think they were just emo shit. My loss I guess. At least eyewin told me to give them a chance. I never even knew. Thanks a bundle eyewin.

Next bands on my list to listen to are:
-Vampire Weekend
-Yeah Yeah Yeahs
-Panda Bear (I have high expectations here)
-Phoenix
-Girls
-The Flaming Lips
-Arcade Fire (high expectations here too, I hear they're similar to The Antlers)
-Grizzly Bear
-Bat for Lashes
-Japandroids
-Real Estate

And surprisingly I'm not that into Neutral Milk Hotel (if you're new to indie everyone just raves over In The Aeroplane Over the Sea being the greatest album of all time) or Radiohead. They're both okay, but nothing that I really got into minus a few songs I could pick out that I love.

GO GO GO DISCUSSION.
clawmaster2  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Indie Music Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
Next bands on my list to listen to are:
-Yeah Yeah Yeahs
-The Flaming Lips
-Bat for Lashes

Of the bands you listened, these I've been interested in. I'm a huge YYY's fan and can tell you personally, if you are to listen to them, listen to their albums in order. Oh and get all the EP's, especially Master EP. Totally worth it.
I've been meaning to get into the Lips lately, but haven't picked up on them yet. Also they're gonna be on Yo Gabba Gabba this month or next month I think.
And Bat For Lashes, well, I'd have to be in that mood to listen to her. It's different but very good. Pick up on Pomplamoose as well! They're sort of a youtube band. They're not super well known, but they're good for a cute couple :P
I've heard of She & Him since the movie 500 days of summer, but I haven't picked up on these two yet, I've heard good things.
Another recommendation, Handsome Furs! If you haven't heard of them then please do check them out. They're strange but very good to listen and relax a little. And Company of Thieves? A little more known but still good. I like it :P
Venim619  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from Arizona, there's always been one indie band that I turn to when there's really almost nothing else to listen to. They're called the Format. They came out with two albums and then sadly broke up. However, the lead singer started a new (New York based) band called fun. that are more poppy but still a great listen. I recommend checking both bands out.

The Format: http://www.myspace.com/theformat

fun.: http://www.myspace.com/fun

And OP, props on the Animal Collective and Arcade Fire.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Venim. I really liked both, but especially fun. I'll definitely be looking into both bands more. Fun was really unique and... fun! I'm going through both of their music on their myspace pages now.

Do you have any recommendations with which albums or songs to start with? Or which ones are the best?
vosnos  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making this thread! I've been getting into Indie Rock more and more these past few months. Here's what I've been listening to most:

Animal Collective: Though I haven't given their albums thorough listens, I do enjoy what I've heard so far. I own MPP and Strawberry Jam and my favorite song by them by far is Bluish.

Arcade Fire: Hands down one of my favorite Indie/Alternative bands. Absolutely everything on Funeral and Neon Bible is exceptional and they're on a pretty heavy rotation in my library. I can't decide which album is better as they're both magnificent but my favorite song at the moment is Black Mirror (on Neon Bible). Fugitive, I guarantee you will not be disappointed when you get around to listening to them. Can't wait for their new album this year.

Belle and Sebastian: I fell in love with "If You're Feeling Sinister" and just got Tigermilk. I think the simple guitar melodies and his gentle voice go perfectly together.

The Flaming Lips: I started with Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and really enjoyed it. Fight Test is definitely my favorite song off the album. I really like their psychedelic-indie sound. Gonna try and listen to The Soft Bulletin and Clouds Taste Metallic next.

Neutral Milk Hotel: One of the great staples of indie rock, NMH is just great. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is on of the greatest albums ever and I'm trying to listen to more of On Avery Island. Favorite song is probably Two Headed Boy.

Honorable Mentions:

Built to Spill
Fleet Foxes
My Bloody Valentine
Pavement

What's up next:
Bon Iver
Bright Eyes
Grizzly Bear
The Jesus and Mary Chain
My Morning Jacket
Wolf Parade
Yo La Tengo

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

Fugitive  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vosnos, I'll definitely be checking out the bands you listed. This is why I love talking about indie music, I ALWAYS get new bands to listen to. You should check out The Antlers actually. In the Pitchfork review they kept comparing it to Arcade Fire's Funeral, so if AF is one of your favorite bands, I bet you'll like Hospice.

I vaguely recall hearing of Belle and Sebastian, but they'll be on my list of bands to check out now too, as will all the others you listed.

I've been meaning to listen to Pavement too. Thanks for reminding me.

I think you'll really like Bon Iver when you get around to that too. They're a lot like The Antlers, therefore a lot like Arcade Fire.

You really should listen to Animal Collective's Here Comes the Indian. It's my favorite album, and even though it's a little different that MPP, I think it's better.
eyewin8  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Fugitive's up next list, I've listened to several of those. Out of those I really liked Phoenix's Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, Girls' Album, both Arcade Fire albums and Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest. I thought that Vampire Weekend was really over rated and didn't really enjoy their style on the first album. I still need to pick up Contra though. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are pretty good, but they don't have much of a unique sound to me. I liked a few songs on the first album, but nothing really stood out on It's Blitz. You'll probably hate me for this because I know you really like Animal Collective, but Panda Bear was a letdown. It was more of the avant garde side of Animal Collective, which I don't care much for. I've only listened to his last album once, so I should probably listen to that again sometime soon so I can judge it better.

I've been meaning to get into Bright Eyes, Sigur Ros, Yo La Tengo and TV on the Radio, but I keep forgetting to download something.

Also, Bon Iver and Arcade Fire are amazing. Easily in my top 5 indie bands

inb4 >indie as a genre

EDIT: VVVVVVV Portugal. The Man is one of my favorite bands right now. I love everything that they've put out so far. I recommend the debut album, and their newest album if you want to get into them.

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.

Last edited by eyewin8 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few of these here, they may be debated as indie but all are either indie or signed to an indie label (that seems like an oxymoron x_x)

*Tally Hall - solid stuff, listen to "Greener".

*Portugal. The Man - not the best stuff on their Myspace, listen to stuff from the album Waiter: "You Vultures!".

*Maps & Atlases - Insane guitar stuff that I'd like to see in GH/RB but that is actually upbeat and happy and insane, listen to anything from Tree, Swallows, Houses such as "The Most Trustworthy Tin Cans" and "The Ongoing Horrible" from that page.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku

Last edited by this1neguy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
Few of these here, they may be debated as indie but all are either indie or signed to an indie label (that seems like an oxymoron x_x)

Ha, yeah, it seems like an oxymoron, but really indie label is just a label that tries not to interfere with the artist's work at all. It's pretty much impossible for a band to get out there without some label backing them, so labels are necessary.

Also, thanks for more recommendations guys. My list of bands I want to listen to is pretty vast, and growing pretty fast. (heh, rhymes).
Venim619  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Format, I'd definitely listen to their first album, Interventions + Lullabies, first. Especially listen to The First Single and Tune Out. Their only other album, Dog Problems, is my favorite of the two because of the title track, Snails and the Compromise (which, if you played Sims 2: University, should sound familiar).

Because fun. is relatively new, they only have one album, but my personal favorite off of it is At Least (I'm Not As Sad As I Used To Be) just because it doesn't really stick to the average guitar/bass/drum set up of most songs.
Strykerx  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to emphasize Portugal. The Man because they are my absolute favorite band. All of their albums are way different, but I love all of them. Choosing an album to recommend is pretty tough... Go with the debut Waiter: "You Vultures!", their newest one The Satanic Satanist, or if you can find it, the EP called It's Complicated Being a Wizard. The last one is basically one 22 minute song and is more like their debut than other stuff.

Side note: Gonna see them in March, can't wait

Edit: Oh and their website has a bunch of free mp3's from each album.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venim619 wrote:
With the Format, I'd definitely listen to their first album, Interventions + Lullabies, first. Especially listen to The First Single and Tune Out. Their only other album, Dog Problems, is my favorite of the two because of the title track, Snails and the Compromise (which, if you played Sims 2: University, should sound familiar).

Because fun. is relatively new, they only have one album, but my personal favorite off of it is At Least (I'm Not As Sad As I Used To Be) just because it doesn't really stick to the average guitar/bass/drum set up of most songs.

I've listened to Aim and Ignite by fun. and Dog Problems by The Format. I have to say that fun. is amazing. My favorite song on Aim and Ignite is either The Gambler or All the Pretty Girls. Dog Problems wasn't as good as Aim and Ignite, but it is still worth listening to

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a nagging suspicion that my old housemate was really into The Format... although maybe I'm confusing them with someone else 'cos he almost exclusively listened to electro.

Er, right, where to start with indie...

Girls: lovely album. What's interesting to me is that his fairly unique and fucked up life story manages to influence the music without dominating it. I talked a bit about them here too, although apparently I neglected to mention that the song I linked to is about my second or third favourite song overall last year.

David Ford: I mentioned this guy in the singer-songwriters topic but he fits in here quite nicely as well. He used to be the singer and primary songwriter in the band that changed my life more than any other. They started off unashamedly power-pop but their second album took a massive shift and it was clear that his priorities had changed. A couple of months later they split up and eventually some solo stuff emerged. I always grudgingly enjoyed his stuff - I say grudgingly because it took a long time for me to forgive him for splitting Easyworld... which, in hindsight, is pretty stupid. Of course, I got over that and now happily listen to him a lot. Long story short: he's fantastic. He is the only musician out there at the moment whose songs are capable of reminding me that I still have a heart, and 'Making Up For Lost Time' (from the new album out next month, hear a snippet on the Myspace) is probably the best song I've heard in years.

Okay, short comments on stuff already mentioned now 'cos I'm tired...

Vampire Weekend: bought the first album, listened to maybe three songs. Haven't bought the new one yet but what I've heard is awesome.

The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard, and the title track remains one of my favourite songs ever.

Neutral Milk Hotel: I was completely obsessed with In The Aeroplane Over The Sea for a while. I still love it, but in a slightly less scary way. On Avery Island is brilliant too... 'nuff said really.

Bright Eyes (and all the other stuff involving Conor Oberst under however many names): fantastic. The pairing of Digital Ash In A Digital Urn and I'm Wide Awake It's Morning is a masterpiece, particularly if you consider it as two halves of a whole.

(Here's hoping my long ramble doesn't kill this thread like it did the pop discussion, hurrr.)

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time "indie" fan here. A lot of amazing artists have been mentioned here! I'll try to add some that I think you guys will like that certainly get overlooked more than they deserve (some are getting popular anyway, but y'know)

-------------

Earlimart - One of my favorite bands. They have a bit of different sounding things, though, so it's sort of hard to explain what they sound like. They have some incredibly mellow and.. uh.. intricate.. songs.. And they have some pretty energetic stuff, too. Has a male and female vocalist.
Songs the check
Drink on the Job - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv1BHv_NlJQ
Bloody Nose - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ZELwMb_mk
Happy Alone (Female vocals on this one) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiWtzesa0bQ

Wolf Parade - I know they've been briefly mentioned already, but I feel like throwing some details out because they're fucking amazing. Genius vocals! Very rough stuff, but very well thought out as well. I don't see how anybody wouldn't appreciate them
songs
I'll Believe in Anything - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df91aCyNMPo
Dear sons and daughters (some of my favorite lyrics in here) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3f0U9IPOb4
Shine a Light - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxO1LP1vfg&feature=fvw

Iron and Wine - Folk like. Very calm for the most part. Should be checked by everyone
songs
Naked as we came - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-A-iiPoLg
He Lays in the reigns -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Cv8P4xvnE
(Fucking amazing song. As soon as it starts you can tell it's good)

Cat Power - Calm stuff for the most part. Fans of artists such as Feist should be pretty happy with this music. Female and her piano, pretty much. Though it will sound cheesy, to simply put it, some of her songs are absolutely beautiful.
Songs
Maybe Not - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skreabVrMRk
Metal Heart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EUf05qWCGo

Will add more sometime soon.
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
clooficarus  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Social Scene - You Forget It In People is probably their most mainstream album but all their music is good in my opinion; they have a really deep atmospheric/ambient and versatile sound.

Passion Pit ~.~

Interpol and Bloc Party for the guitar hero bands both really fuckn good the dual guitar work is great - listening for texture =)

"Knowledge for its own sake - - that is the last snare laid by morality: we are thereby completely entangled in morals once more"

-F.N.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: