ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Never played GH, which one should I get first?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LanceBriggs55  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Never played GH, which one should I get first? Reply with quote

Hey guys, hope you're well.

I bought DJ hero a few months back (I'm more into hip-hop, trance, house etc) and have become fairly decent at it. I'm not a massive fan of rock or metal, but I do like some songs of this genre. After listening to any good/decent songs though, they do grow on me. So I wanted to buy Guitar Hero or Rock Band, just looking for suggestions on which game has the best tracklist in your opinion. I'd probably prefer one with more commercial songs/bands at first, but I have never heard of Dragonforce before, but after a few play throughs I like TTFAF. I'm also aware that DLC is available.

Also, for anyone that owns DJ Hero, how difficult is GH compared to DJH? I know that TTFAF is the hardest song, but it looks fricken impossible to me.

Cheers
inv4der  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're more after mainstream/poppy, Band Hero or Beatles are good bets. GH5 and RB2 are also good if you're willing to learn to like metal and heavier rock, although they both have good amounts of well known songs. RB games tend to be more DLC oriented, and GH tend to me more disc/export oriented. (Keep in mind that GH allows you to make your own songs in game, and RB has the upcoming RBN through RB2 in which indie and mainstream bands will release their songs as DLC.)

Also, the peripherals used for play (DJH vs RB/GH (and of course, there's three seperate skill sets with GH/RB)) are different, and while they use similar skill sets, it's really a thing you'll have to decide for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest GH2. It has a great setlist and the engine is perfect in my opinion. The HOPOs are easy to hit (unlike GH1) yet the engine isn't too lenient (as some say GH3's is). I think it has a nice learning curve as well and most of the songs are really fun to play. I would say without a doubt it is the best game to develop fundamental GH skills (aka the perfect mix of GH1 and GH3). GH1 won't allow you to effectively practice your HOPO skills and GH3's timing window is very large which means if you start on that game you may become sloppy and moving to other games will be much more difficult. GH2 requires a good fretting hand as well as good timing.

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vosnos wrote:
I would strongly suggest GH2. It has a great setlist and the engine is perfect in my opinion. The HOPOs are easy to hit (unlike GH1) yet the engine isn't too lenient (as some say GH3's is). I think it has a nice learning curve as well and most of the songs are really fun to play. I would say without a doubt it is the best game to develop fundamental GH skills (aka the perfect mix of GH1 and GH3). GH1 won't allow you to effectively practice your HOPO skills and GH3's timing window is very large which means if you start on that game you may become sloppy and moving to other games will be much more difficult. GH2 requires a good fretting hand as well as good timing.

He hit the nail on the head. The only issue is that you want more mainstream music. Therefore, if you want this type of engine, get RB2. It has the exact same engine, but the music is just a bit more know.

Then again, the most mainstream game out there is Band Hero; it has the sloppy engine, though.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
No1ButU  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have to disagree and say go with Rock Revolution....

Okay, I'm joking. Guitar Hero 2 is a really good choice if you can find it, copies are getting more rare as time passes since the company that made it now makes Rock Band, and GH2 is no longer available in retail outlets, unless that have some old as shit stock sitting around. The nice thing is, you can get a guitar easily enough, then just get the game off kijiji/craigslist/ebay.

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome to ScoreHero, good to see you're into DJ Hero. Feel free to join our growing DJ Hero community.

Now, onto what is suggested for a first game. First, what system are you planning to get the game for? If a next gen system like the Wii, XBOX 360 or PS3, I personally recommend GH5, which covers many genres, lengths and timeframes of music (and it's got a different mix of Bring The Noise 20XX if you're into that)... If pop is your thing, Band Hero is what you want to invest in. Plus, both those games support downloadable content, so new songs and challenges are always at your fingertips. If a PS2, go with what is probably the best on that system: Guitar Hero II; you'll snap it up for cheap anyway.

And then if you like the Guitar Hero side of things, look out for Rock Band 2, which is even more songs at your disposal... And maybe The Beatles: Rock Band for the parents. No, The Beatles are the forerunners of modern music, and will give you further insight into their music and evolution.

Again, welcome to ScoreHero, and I hope that all the responses in this thread are taken into consideration, and you make the right decision.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say get GH2. Then if you like it and want another get GH3. If you like these then I recommend you rent GH1 just so you can see it and know what you are and aren't missing. Then rent GH:80's, good setlist and really fun, but its short. Skip WT cause it sucked and get GH:M then GH:SH. If you like those go ahead and get GH5.

I left a few games out because I don't really know why.

BTW, I recommend playing RB2 on the side of all this and getting all DLC that you like. I guarantee that got some.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
DanSoup  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ready to jump straight in, go for Guitar Hero 5 or Band Hero, both have pretty nice setlists with more well-known songs than the other games (Band Hero especialy).

If you want to try before you invest a lot, perhaps try to acquire a cheap copy of GH3, this also has the advanatage of having the "easiest" engine.

Be careful with everyone suggesting Guitar Hero 2, everyone here has a big sentimental boner about it so take all the reccomendations with a pinch of salt.

If you go to "Home" at the top of the website, then "Top Scores" you can choose a game and view a list of all the songs in that game (on disk and DLC) and compare the setlists of the different games that have been suggested.

Or do what I do and buy every single one

Some say he came back just to fix the "5-Note Chord" banner in his sig...
[23:01] <DanSoup> Did you know, girls masturbate as often as men
[23:01] <DanSoup> they just lie about it normaly
[23:01] <SillyScape> no-one mastrubates as much as me
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to you that the best game out of the series to me has been Rock Band 2. An excellent setlist, about 70/84 are from MAJOR bands. It has the cleanest engine and least amount of game-changing glitches or problems. It also has over 800 DLC now, if you can't find something there then wow haha. If you like The Beatles I'd go with that first (The Beatles: Rock Band), but you really should like the Beatles to enjoy that one fully. If you are purely looking for a poppy setlist, I'd go with Band Hero, as nearly the entire game is based around chart-topping rock and pop. GH5's setlist has a lot of indie and bands that I've never heard of, so if the setlist you are looking for is the one you wanted in your OP, go Band Hero over GH5.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
boss1592  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say GH5. RB2 has a great setlist, but GH5 imo just has better and more inovative gameplay, with party play, 4 of the same instrument, and despite what anyone says, has alot of fun songs on each instrument. RB2 is a great game though, so u cant go too far wrong with either
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
Wattershed  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy. Get GH5. It has the best engine with many great features like Party play, Rockfest and challenges. It has a low difficulty curve and many popular songs.

Don't really get why people are telling you to get an outdated game when there are much better engines out there. GH1,2,80's and 3 all have a lot of bad covers as well.

With GH5 you can also increase the song count in game. Pretty stupid to buy the early games now seeing that they only have the songs on disk to play. If you get GH5 you can import World Tour and Smash hits (Not all).
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for something filled with alot of tracks you have probably heard of, I really suggest getting Guitar Hero: Smash Hits or Rock Band 1. The setlists of these games are very easy on the ears and enjoyable while still very diverse.

But as for gameplay overall, I believe you should really jump into GH5 or RB2. Everyone keeps saying GH2 and all of that, but GH2 has covers, only rhythm/bass for co-op and limited and expensive DLC on the 360 version. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love GH2. I just think most of the people here are having nostalgia influence their decision. Quite frankly, what may be old-hat and classic to most SHers might be completely outdated for newer players. That being said, if you can get GH2 for cheap, go ahead, but you might want to go ahead start in the new games.
gamecubeRLZ  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say get RB2 or GH5, based on which set list you like more. If you like those and get pretty good at the game, then i suggest you get GH3. It has the most challenging on disc and dlc songs by far, but it is a little too hard for inexperienced players. It gets a bad rap sometimes, but it is a really fun game.

And if you have played DJ Hero you should pick up on guitar hero pretty quick. the gameplay is extremely different, but if you are good at one rhythm game others come pretty easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: gamecube rlz PSN Name: mrstuprigge
jeffo2448  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I like GH's gameplay better, I'd say go for GH5 for the reasons previously stated.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what system do you have? If he doesn't have a 360 he can't play GH2 guys. :| And I really wouldn't recommend GH2 if you want more songs you've heard of. (Plus ^ that sentimental boner that DanSoup commented on). GH2 is a good game, but if you have a next gen system you need an up to date game.

For just learning how to play, I'd recommend GH5 or Band Hero. There are some easier songs with a nice learning curve in there but some challenges thrown in. There are some pretty hard songs, but nothing that the game throws at you long before you're ready. RB2 is also a good game, but the engine is tighter and there are a lot more pretty hard guitar charts. Personally, I can't stand playing guitar in RB2 after getting used to GH5/BH. But if you plan on playing vocals or drums, any 3 of those games are a good buy. Really they're all awesome. :P

As far as difficulty between DJ Hero and Guitar Hero... DJH was faster for me to pick up, but only because I had played rhythm games for so long. Other than that, I've been playing for weeks and I'm still on Hard (with only 2 5*'s to go). There are some things in DJ Hero that I would be shocked if anyone could combo (notice I didn't say impossible, just shocked). I find DJ Hero to be way harder than GH. If you're good at DJ Hero, you'll be able to pick up GH fairly quickly.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: