Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Christian/Religious Bands and Artists
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Christian/Religious Bands and Artists Reply with quote

Yeah that's right, I did it.

I have a few favorite artists that are Christian. I know there are other fans on ScoreHero.

These are my favorites:
TobyMac - sample
Hawk Nelson - sample
Casting Crowns - sample
BarlowGirl
Newsboys
Relient K

I'm basically a huge Tobymac fan. I have every album and all the remix albums. He's playing a show here in Evansville next Sunday, I'd love to try and go but I'm not sure if I can (or should spend the money).

My fiance has also discovered a couple of REALLY good Christian metal bands. One of them sounds pretty much like a Judas Priest clone, which is awesome. Where are these songs in Guitar Praise or whatever that GH Christian clone is!? They would be a blast to play.

Regardless of your religion, I'd hope you'd acknowledge good musicianship when you hear it. Also keep in mind that several of these artists aren't even "in your face" Christian. I would label them more as "*genre* with Christian values." At least listen to them before you knock it.

Also, if you're not-Christian and you have a problem that this music exists I will kindly show you the door. Hopefully ScoreHero can handle this thread.

So have at it! Who are your favorites?

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
SPinD0cter  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the Christian music where every single song is about God and stuff. But bands like August Burns Red and Underoath I really do like. Oh, Sleeper just created an album basically about the fight between Jesus and Satan. Needless to say it is an epic album
Guitar Hero 80's FC's [18/30]
Guitar Hero 3 FC's [46/70]
Guitar Hero 5 FC's [73/85]
Guitar Hero Metallica FC's [28/49]
Guitar Hero Smash Hits FC's [33/48]
DPooch  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to The Swift's album Singing Back to You.

I love that album.

'Rain Down' may be my favorite worship song ever.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: poochz0rz
TheRaw  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPinD0cter wrote:
I'm not a fan of the Christian music where every single song is about God and stuff. But bands like August Burns Red and Underoath I really do like. Oh, Sleeper just created an album basically about the fight between Jesus and Satan. Needless to say it is an epic album

ABR is amazing.
I love Oh, Sleeper's first album but not too into their newest work..

A lot of christian hardcore bands are tight: Norma Jean, Haste the Day, As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada, Texas In July, etc.

And then there's We Came As Romans, who might as well be Christian.

It's interesting that I like a lot of Christian bands since everyone in my family is a devout Christian and I'm agnostic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite band is Christian, mewithoutYou.

I urge everyone to look them up.
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy Christian music a lot; I've seen tobyMac, Hawk Nelson, David Crowder Band, and Fee (x2) live, and they were all great.

Hailz, I'd highly recommend going to the tobyMac concert, the one I went to was a free concert and it was absolutely amazing. I'm not usually a fan of hip hop but tobyMac pulls off a brilliant fusion of hip hop and rock... and can do it all live.

A lot of people don't like the "straight up Christian" songs, i.e. worship songs, and to some degree I can see why. A lot of worship songs have similar chord progressions and are often melodically uninteresting, despite the lyrics (I lead worship at my church, and more often then not I am playing a G, D, Em, C, A, Am, or F#m chord of some sort, there isn't much variety.)

A lot of modern worship bands have developed their own style reminiscent of U2: A lot of bands rely heavily on the delay effect set at dotted eighth notes to create a "bouncy" sound, and other bands just use a lot of of chorus and reverb.

However, a refreshing break from this stereotype is a guy named Matt Papa: he cleverly uses a variety of musical modes and blues progressions to create a very interesting sound without the use of too many effects. Some of his songs are straight-up rockers (Lead Me On, You Can Do Anything, We Will Shine), while he has his fair share of softer hymn-like songs (Hymn in C, In Christ Alone).

I also am a fan of Stryper, which is stereotypical old-school 80s hair metal (actually from the 80s) Christian band that has a style somewhat similar to Judas Priest. I saw them live at a really intimate venue last November, and I really enjoyed it, although I was a little deaf for a couple days afterward.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRaw wrote:
A lot of christian hardcore bands are tight: Norma Jean, Haste the Day, As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada, Texas In July, etc.

The bolded ones are NOT christian rock/metal bands. Basically, I have my bones to pick with religious-based music, but at the same time I listen to a good number of christian metal/rock bands.
To anyone that enjoys christian metal-core, listen to Inhale Exhale (some really cool stuff right there), Children 18:3 is a pretty cool christian punk band, and once I get my damn iTunes working I'll be back with some more.

Edit: Shit, forgot Thousand Foot Krutch and Showbread (great band, seriously)
jackmav41  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switchfoot and David Crowder Band.
David Crowder Band is just plain awesome and Switchfoot has really good songs. Also, of you look into some of U2's stuff, they have songs called Where The Streets Have No Name, Yahweh, With or Without You.

<- NTSC FTW!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 286406839581
Capt.Howdy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
My favorite band is Christian, mewithoutYou.

I urge everyone to look them up.

Although I am not at all a Christian, and hate pretty much all "Christian bands" I've come across, I came in here to suggest mewithoutYou. Honestly some of the best written music I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to start...I like a bunch of Christian music!

I've had more recent opportunities to see Fireflight and Thousand Foot Krutch in concert. Amazing!

Also:

Demon Hunter
RED
Skillet (although I'm waning on them somewhat)
Casting Crowns (I love what they did with "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day")
Delirious

On the progressive side, Neal Morse.
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95% of the time I listen to music solely for aesthetics, so I'm not too concerned as to whether a band is Christian or not.

Living Sacrifice is a pretty good one that hasn't been mentioned yet... I have their 'best of' album and it's pretty solid, which is saying a lot because I'm usually not into pure death metal too much. Also, if you're into bands like Suicide Silence, which I am not, then the band Impending Doom reminds me a lot of them, and they're Christian too.

One thing I find funny about Christian metal bands is when they don't know where to draw the line lyrically between trying to have Christian lyrics and trying to sound brutal. For example, Impending Doom has a song called 'Silence the Oppressors,' which sounds real heavy, but in one song their lyrics are "This is our worship...GORSHIP!" which only serves to make me laugh.

Demon Hunter has some good songs, but they all have the property of having a good chorus while the rest of the song is unimpressive.

For non-metal, I got a free CD from blockbuster with some christian chistmas song remakes and they were surprisingly great. The singer and the guitarist in particular were both amazing, and they added a nice 80's sound to the songs, which worked a lot better than I had expected.

Creed sucks though, in my opinion.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets get some better Christian Metal bands in here.

Easily the best would be Tourniquet. Some pretty epic metal over the years. Started off abit more speed metal like, then kinda thrash, then kinda got soft, but this decade it's been harder and more heavy stuff, but all good. Highly recommend them. They have a new album in the works I believe. I'm hoping this year.

Psycho Surgery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5-14J5LHuU

Architeuthis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKie5aYrTYE

Besprinkled in Scarlet Horro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO1U3O5p1_Y

Perfect Night For a Hanging
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bse4HAMC1Js

Another great band is Deliverance. They aren't around anymore I think, but had a few good songs.

Weapons of our Warfare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPHcjhqhh8
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamelot is a damn good christian metal band.

Skillet & Flyleaf too. I have athiest friends who still listen to those bands, lol

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerminX13 wrote:
Kamelot is a damn good christian metal band.

Kamelot is in no way a christian metal band, and if they are, they were definetly the first to feature guest musicians from satanic bands

Also, Flyleaf isnt really a christian band, just a band of christians.

Edit: And since no one else mentioned them, try out Horde. I personally hate them but others might like them.
jesse0986  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an absolute sucker for a good beat, and I dare anyone to listen to Kirk Franklin's "Looking for You" without tapping their foot or bobbing their head or some other shit. Not terribly familiar with the rest of Franklin's work but it's mostly gospel, which may turn some away. Still, this song is awesome and always puts a smile on my face.

Also Common isn't really marketed as a Christian artist but he focuses on Christian-related themes quite a bit. "Be" is one of my favorite tunes in the world. Another sick beat and Common's got a ton of talent as a lyricist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: