Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Cross Country Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it for 2 of the 3 years my school had it. (I did the 1st and 2nd years, then I graduated.) Our school decided a CC team was too expensive somehow, seeing how since our school is small there were 20 people on the team. Apparently one school bus a week and 20 uniforms is sooooo expensive. My best 5k time is 20:08, and I'll always kick myself for never breaking the 20 mark.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I'm legitimately surprised we got this many responses. Makes me feel good, heh.

So a little more about myself running. Last year was my first year, and I was awful. The very first time I ever ran I got like 28:20 for 3 miles. I swore to myself I would take 10 minutes off of that by the time I graduated (I'm a sophomore now). Heh, I've already gotten 10 minutes off of that. :U Anyways, my PR for that year was 20:39, and I remember that I felt like I was FLYING the whole race, but in retrospect I know I wasn't going very fast. xD

So I kept working at it. Track started pretty much right after Cross Country. I suddenly found myself not running last behind everyone. By the end of track season I had run 5:24 in the mile and 11:27 in the 3200. This was astronomically better than I ever thought I could do, lol. I pledged to run over the summer, which I did. I think I came close to 500 miles by the end of the summer, which isn't super impressive in a nine-week summer, but I was satisified.

This year, I'm proud to be part of a solid Frosh-Soph team. There are seven of us who could finish, really, in any order, and our times all seem to be confined to 18:15 - 17:45, which is very tight but consistent for a F/S team.

So, I live in Illinois. I believe Illinois is the third fastest state in the country, behind California and then Texas (but don't forget, we have the fastest runner in the country). The meets are so exciting, seeing records broken and challenged every week, no matter what course or even who is running, it's a golden age for running in Illinois (then again, it always is ). The team that I'm on (well, Varsity) is ranked 26th in the state. Top 25 go to the state meet in Peoria. There are several teams that are ranked far above us that we know we have beaten and will beat, so this is exciting for us.

We've always run without the spotlights, but this year is different. Some eyes are actually on us.

We have a big meet this Saturday, where I'm going to meet SAW4135 . There are 19 of the most competitive teams there and some analysts (lol who analyzes IHSA XC?) have us written in as a potential dark horse to win this meet. The odds are long but we're a very hard working team.

Some responses to you guys...

blackhawk12 wrote:
This year looks like an entirely different story, for me. We're knocking down tons of miles like it's nothing (last week I only ran five days and managed more than 60 miles) We're just starting our speed workouts, and our first 10-man meet is this coming Friday. We have been running workouts, for our 4-7th ranked runners, at about a 17 minute 5k pace, so it'll be interesting to see what happens as the season progresses, and if we'll be able to hold together the amazing things that started last year.
Wow, that's some intense workouts lol. I ran 7 days last week and only ran 60 miles. Hope you get faster and you're team does well.

SAW4135 wrote:
Actually considered making this thread, but I was gonna wait for after my meet tomorrow

It's a friendly meet, its all our conference teams, many of which we won't actually see until conference due to there being 3 Class 3A schools, 2 2A schools, and a 1A school.

Not sure what my goals are for this year yet, I had a big setback this summer with surgery on my appendix, but I have hopefully recovered enough to be our 3rd man on the team until we bring back a runner from injury.

I'll post tomorrow with my results from the meet. It's a 3x 1 mile loops, first time anyone has ever run this course. I'm hoping to open up with a low 17:00, we'll just see what happens though
Frankly, I think you should get your goals high, especially since, imo, the success of your team relies on supporting Stojanovic with strong 2, 3, and 4 runners (that's you ). I think I got his name right... IIRC. I'm looking forward to seeing you run at St. Charles.

Also, are you guys running at Peoria on the 11th? Our coach is thinking if sending us down there, since we have a sophomore that may be the fastest in the state and could try to win the F/S race.

FDXCpinballwiz wrote:
My best 5k was an 18:27, best 2 mile was 11:02 and my best mile was a nice little 4:55. I love being a sub 5:00 miler lol. I also ran indoor and outdoor track...well that was until I got kicked off for saran wrapping a freshman >_> (apparently iniation isnt what it used to be)
Lol, fail. We initiate freshman by baptizing them by the waters of running (a fountain/bum bath at the park where we run). Those are some solid times as well, I think I'm on par with those right now

GenericName wrote:
My best time last year, my first year, was a 29:58. And that was a major accomplishment for me. My worst time was like 40:30. >____________> But that my was first race ever. So ehh. :/
Um. How does that happen, lol. Once I power walked a 5K in 36:30.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
diddin  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Llama, I'm from Illinois too. CC is a BIG thing here, isn't it?
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddin wrote:
Awesome! You go to Nequa?

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
SAW4135  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just got done with our friendly meet.

O.o

I'm not exactly where I thought I would be. Finished 4th on the team, 17:56. Took the first mile out in 5:30, brought it back in 6:16 and 6:10. Not good for me, I expected to at least be under 17:30.

We won the meet, but it didn't feel like it since all of our guys ran bad (except for our sophomore kid, he did well).

Also, Stojanovic is being held out indefinitely, he has been working out but idk exactly when he will be back. Unfortunately, without him, we stand almost no chance of going to state. It'll be a tough year, hopefully our team drops down, we have about 5 guys competing for the 5th spot on our team, which will hopefully boost us up.

Also, I got to see Cody Webster run, idk if you know him Llama, but he was 25th in the state last year, and he is one fast kid. 4:16 1600, 9:37 3200. Yah, he's pretty good

Hopefully I will get a chance to knock off the rust and break 17:00 at St. Charles.

Also, PR-wise

Mile: 4:50
3 mile: 15:57

I placed like low 200s at state, our team was 21st overall (out of 26). I ran 16:30.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip wrote:
diddin wrote:
Awesome! You go to Nequa?

Nope, Belvidere North. Probably different class, we're not too big.
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember yesterday we were training and it was 90-100 degrees outside. Half of our group didn't think it'd be that hot out at 3pm (I was one of them). We all ran slugishly, sweat about a gallon, got dizzy, etc.

tl;dr Dehydration/overworking

Eh, felt nice running earlier today though. And we have a 2-mile course at this place called Rosemount I believe. I suck though, so my time last year was 15:xx (close to 15:05). I'm looking forward to try getting 13:00-13:30 this year.

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
blackhawk12  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip wrote:
Wall of Text

Well, Illinois definitely has more at stake in XC than Minnesota does

LlamaYip wrote:
blackhawk12 wrote:
This year looks like an entirely different story, for me. We're knocking down tons of miles like it's nothing (last week I only ran five days and managed more than 60 miles) We're just starting our speed workouts, and our first 10-man meet is this coming Friday. We have been running workouts, for our 4-7th ranked runners, at about a 17 minute 5k pace, so it'll be interesting to see what happens as the season progresses, and if we'll be able to hold together the amazing things that started last year.
Wow, that's some intense workouts lol. I ran 7 days last week and only ran 60 miles. Hope you get faster and you're team does well.

Thanks The only real reason that we keep on building this mileage so high is so that when we cut our miles in half (sometime mid- to late October) we'll feel super fresh. To me, it's one of the best feelings in the world, running times and workouts that used to be hard but now feel like just another walk in the park.

FingerQuick wrote:
I remember yesterday we were training and it was 90-100 degrees outside. Half of our group didn't think it'd be that hot out at 3pm (I was one of them). We all ran slugishly, sweat about a gallon, got dizzy, etc.

Eh, felt nice running earlier today though. And we have a 2-mile course at this place called Rosemount I believe. I suck though, so my time last year was 15:xx (close to 15:05). I'm looking forward to try getting 13:00-13:30 this year.

Ugh, tell me about it. We've been running two-a-days for the last three weeks, so we get humidity in the morning, heat in the afternoon. Yesterday morning it was un-fricken-believably humid. What was supposed to be a nice little four mile run turned into some sort of sweat must-destroy-all-hydration death run. And then tempo in the afternoon *shudders* I can't wait 'til it starts cooling down, this is too hot to run in.

My team, unfortunately, stopped going to the Rosemount meet two years ago. I'd like to do a two mile race (we did the Red Knight invite last year) but it doesn't look like that's in the cards. Speaking of meets, is your team going to Griak, Swain, or any Basset Creek races?

Also, good luck at Rosemount!

EDIT: also, HA ran CC

My GH Acc. Thread |
TheThirdDay wrote:
Personally, I can't wait for March 20th: Blowjob, steak, and shut the fuck up day.
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear, this won't be a daily workout update for me, but today was great. We were doing 400 repeats up a hill, which seems like it would be really hard at the start, but I felt great during it. I ran 10 of them, not a whole lot, but they were all about 80s, which is equivalent to maybe 72 on a track. I'm pumped for the meet on Saturday.

SAW, I was just thinking. How can I find you without it being like, all awkward and stuff lol

GenericName  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FingerQuick wrote:

Pfft, On an average day at cross country practice for my school's team it's at least a heat index of 100, with the actual temp somewhere around 95. About two weeks back our heat index was like 115 and we were running as normal.

Lrn2run in heat, lol

But anyway, I'm improving a ton, I think I might be able to break 24 or 25 this year. That will be like a 5 minute or so increase over my first year. Also, all of you people are like incredible at XC. Wow.

FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Generic, Iamlrning2runinheat

So yesterday was our 2-mile and I did somewhat okay. PRed by about 1 minute. Ended with around 14:15. I puked twice after the run which felt great lol. Now I can't wait until Faribault next week >_>

Also warmth piles during meets are hella good

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
ShonSuperStar  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do Cross Country in school but it was never over a set distance. I did run a 5k CC once last year though and got 17.10 I think.

I'm more of an 800m runner though. I used to do 800 and 1500 though my strength outweighs my endurance so I'm starting to do 400 and 800 now.

GesterX - "This has got to be one of Wales' top 5 accomplishments of all time. "
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Shon Super Star
SAW4135  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got to see Llama up at St. Charles

Never got a chance to talk with him about his race, I hope he did well and posts soon!

I ran a 17:15 for 3 miles. I was our 2nd guy, a lot of guys are sick or injured (and one kid missed the bus >.>), but I was kinda aiming for sub-17 minutes.

Ah well, I'll have Peoria Woodruff next week. Llama, you said you might go to that too? P.M. me if you wanna talk individual races and stuff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! After first weekend of meets, I'm feeling alright haha.

I got the pleasure of meeting Seth (SAW4135) today, but at very awkward times lol, so hopefully next week at Peoria, we can have a better talk lol.

Personally, I sucked so badly. I ran 19:10 and felt like complete crap the entire race, especially the last mile which was overly awful. Our whole F/S team finished between 18:15 - 19:45, so we're consistent, but alot slower than where we need to be.

However, our Varsity team stood out today. Two of our top runners went out really fast, like at 4:58, and they finished 2nd and 3rd today finishing at 15:14 (one is a Sophomore) and we finished 3rd at the meet, so its awesome.

I'm gonna PM SAW lol

blackhawk12  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a meet... Dunno, I got 18:48, which isn't really a bad time, considering it was run on the State course, a really, annoying, hard course. The worst part about it is the constant shirt from grass to gravel as the course is tilting sideways up some hill or another. Kills the legs.

I know I can run faster, but I have a feeling that the next barrier I need to cross isn't a physical one, it's a mental one. I'm positive I can break 18 minutes, I just have to get that into my head, have to focus on that in the middle of the race, from 2k to 4k, the roughest section of my race. Any advice?

My GH Acc. Thread |
TheThirdDay wrote:
Personally, I can't wait for March 20th: Blowjob, steak, and shut the fuck up day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: