Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Cross Country Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAW4135  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our meet got rained out today. We did a 1.5 mile run all out on our track when we got home. 7:45, not bad, I was 5:08 at the mile I totally died off like the third and fourth laps >.>

^FQ reminded me of a funny story. Every year at a big meet, we would take people's bananas that they didn't want and put them on the road. The road was like an interstate people were going like 65 mph, those bananas got absolutely destroyed.

Granted this was like my freshman year, we were all stupid back then. But the bananas exploded like crazy!

Also, last year we came back onto our bus and found a random bottle of lotion just sitting there. Since no one claimed it, we all decided to have one guy stand by a window and when cars would drive be he would give the "Jizz in my pants" look, and then another guy who was ducked down would squirt the lotion on the window. People's reactions were PRICELESS.

That is all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the LSU Invitational... Its a college meet with some high school races beforehand. I ran a 27:05, but it's a 5K and it's a really tough course, so I probably could have done better. My previous record for a 3mile or a 5K was 29:55, so it was nearly a 4 a five minute improvement. although I had ran a 26:57 5K at practice once, but running on hills and stuff is sooo much harder than a couple of laps of flat ground, so I consider this my PR. It was also a huge improvement from last week, when I ran the JV 2 mile race and only got a 16:47. My 2 mile split from this 5K was something like 16:04, so I can probably break 24 minutes this year, which is my goal.

I still hate Cross Country though. So incredibly painful.

FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not puke at my last meet which makes me sad. The tradition is over.

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I got a PR of 25:16 at the race today! That's an improvement of about a minute and a half, which is quite a lot for me, considering the conditions I was in. (very little sleep, not very hydrated, etc.). I'm getting quite a bit closer to my goal of breaking the 24 minute mark, which is exciting. In two weeks I get to finally run at a course that isn't one hill after another the entire time, so I should be able to get my goal time then.

LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Generic!

Yesterday we had a meet where the course was basically three laps around the sporting complex of a high school. I ran 18:24, but our coach said that the wind that was blowing took off about 25 seconds >.< . Unfortunately my season only has 2 races left, and only one of those races is 3 miles, so I just have one chance left to break 18.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo, just ran a 22:22 3 mile! That's nearly a 3 minute PR. Of course, every race before this one has been incredibly hilly and just plain hard to run at, but this race was completely flat the whole way, so I had a bit of an advantage, but still. That's a really good time for me, almost an 8 minute improvement from the end of last year. So yaaaay.

LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing job Generic! I was really rooting for you to get up to that spot where you wanted, nice job.

I ran my last official race of the year yesterday at our conference meet. I finished 13th in the Soph race with a time of 17:59 (yesssssss ). I'm pretty happy about that, but at the 1.5 i waas 8:30 >_>. I knew at that moment I went out way too fast.

Our team won the conference, and our awesome Sophomore runner won the race in 14:56 (it's a slow course 0_o) and hopefully our team will end up ranked somewhere like 15th in the state going into regionals.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, let me just mention that my conference run was a fuckin success

Going into the meet, my time from last year was 22:05, which is(was) also my PR, and I've been dreaming of breaking that 22:00 milestone all season. Before the race began I was telling myself to go for 21:30 but eventually changed to 21:00. Another teammate mentioned to go for 20:00 but I said NO WAY IN HELL and kept at 21:00. (subconsiously I think I wanted to try for 20:00, idunno). Race started...

...racing...
...racing...
...racing...

...I see the finish line, I'm ready to puke, I see 20:25 at the clock, sprint, puke, walk, puke, puke, go "yes," then puke. (btw, I had 4 small pukes fyi).

My time was 20:33, a rough approximate 1:30 increase and I happened to SHATTER 22:00 and SHATTER 21:00.

19:59 NEXT YEAR WOO!

GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so epic FingerQuick. One of the best feelings ever is breaking two barriers in the same race that you haven't broken before. I remember last spring I broke both 13 and 12 in the same race in the 2 mile, and it was incredible. Awesome job; I think you'll get alot faster than 19:59 next year.

SAW4135  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a rollercoaster for me the past few weeks, but FQ that story was epic. Truly it was. That is such a huge drop!

Llama, nice job at shattering 18:00! Under 6:00 minute pace FTW, especially if it wasn't *that* fast of a course.

My conference went extremely well, probably the best race of my life. The week before I ran a 16:18 on a course that was 2.94 miles, but it is supposed to replicate the time you would normally run on the state course.

So naturally, at conference I just hoping for a better time than last year's 16:19 and 8th place finish.

The conference race was expected to be a close one between 3 teams; as the gun goes off, I settle into about 5th place. I'm flying and I actually feel like I have a chance at competing with everyone there.

As I approach the mile marker, a few kids pass me, so I'm sitting in about 12th. I went through in 5:04, a good 10 seconds faster than what I normally go through.

I stay relaxed and latch onto a group of about 3 other kids. I make a move as I approach the 2 mile mark and I'm sitting in about 9th place. I go through in about 10:35, which breaks my P.R. of 10:40 (also set during a XC race).

During the last mile, I'm doing everything I can to stay with a group of kids that are competing up in front me. I pass one kid, but then another one of his teammates passes me back. As we approach the 800 meters to go mark, I'm slowly being gapped by the four kids in front of; I am currently in 11th place.

As I approach the last turn, I through in a surge and quickly move into 10th. As I look at the quarter mile dead straightaway ahead, I see one more kid that I could possibly pass about 25 meters in front of me. I pump my arms, get on my toes, and sprint like I've never sprinted in my life. With about 10 meters to go, me and him are neck and neck; however, his foot crosses the line literally .2 seconds before mine does.

I finished 10th place, with a time of 16:06. I didn't make All-Conference (Top 7), but I still medaled. Also, 7th place was 16:03, so it was a pretty close finish overall.

Our team won for the third year in a row, for both guys and girls. I finished 3rd on the team, my highest finish of the year. Not bad for losing summer training to appendicitis

Unfortunately, our team blew up at Regionals yesterday, barely making it out with a 4th place finish. Our chances of going to State are looking slim, for our entire team ran really bad. However, the course was sloppy and our race was delayed from 10:30 to 1:30 because of lightning, so that may have had a bad effect on us considering we were up at 5:00 and literally laid around until our race.

Here's hoping Sectionals goes well! Last (guaranteed) race of my Senior Year. I'm gonna try to break 16:00 and make it count!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an interesting story SAW, sucks that you lost a single digit placement by .2 seconds though lol good luck at Sections though. Hope you break 16:00

anyways, my final race is this wednesday and I honestly don't see myself breaking 21:00 again. I might just run for the fun of it because I already finished my goal this year (and my goal for next year o_O), but then again, I might actually try my hardest all season and aim for <20:00. Eh, all I really care about is going to State so I'll be cheering on Varsity like crazy.

GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012

GenericName  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, State is on monday - leaving for it tomorrow morning. Really high hopes for both a first place runner and a first place team. We aren't favored for winning, but our team can run a smarter race than the team we are behind, and all of their times in the rankings are from reaaaaly flat, easy courses, while our team's times are from this ridiculously hilly hell of a course, without any sprinting. Essentially, if one of the guys on our team can pass this little group of three or so people on the other team, that means we win, and I've never seen someone pumped up so much about a race than the guy who needs to pass up those guys.

Also, the guys who has won state for the last few years, always beating our best runner, is apparently a little bit injured. Also, the guy runs with no sense of pace. He goes out in the beginning basically sprinting for as long as he can, and is completely dead for the second half or so of the race. Our best runner can beat him though, if he doesn't go out too fast.

Sooo excited for state. (I'm not running of course, I'm the worst on the team with my 22:22. Still a respectable time though, for this only being my second year of running.)

LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenericName wrote:
Well, State is on monday - leaving for it tomorrow morning. Really high hopes for both a first place runner and a first place team. We aren't favored for winning, but our team can run a smarter race than the team we are behind, and all of their times in the rankings are from reaaaaly flat, easy courses, while our team's times are from this ridiculously hilly hell of a course, without any sprinting. Essentially, if one of the guys on our team can pass this little group of three or so people on the other team, that means we win, and I've never seen someone pumped up so much about a race than the guy who needs to pass up those guys.

Also, the guys who has won state for the last few years, always beating our best runner, is apparently a little bit injured. Also, the guy runs with no sense of pace. He goes out in the beginning basically sprinting for as long as he can, and is completely dead for the second half or so of the race. Our best runner can beat him though, if he doesn't go out too fast.

Sooo excited for state. (I'm not running of course, I'm the worst on the team with my 22:22. Still a respectable time though, for this only being my second year of running.)
I wish the best of luck to you guys on Monday! Even though Monday seems like a bit of an odd day to have a state XC meet.

Last Saturday we had our state meet in Peoria, Illinois. The park there, Detweiller, is legendary and there have been many memorable races, notably Craig Virgin's 13:50.6 record run there. This year, however, Lukas Verzbicas at Sandburg was running for the record, and at the race he almost got it! He finished at 13:54.0 and aside from the 2nd place finisher everyone was so far back haha.

SAW, Cody Webster was 3rd (maybe you know) but yeah he's really fast and I had him finishing up there in my predictions! It was fun seeing him run.

We finished 20th, which was very mediocre in the grand scheme of things but we didn't really care about placing, we were glad we had gotten to state for the first time since 1981. Our sophomore ran 14:35 and finished 12th, which makes him fastest sophomore in the state and favorite to win the individual title in 2012! It was amazing seeing him do well, and I'm looking forward to some great races next year.

SAW4135  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, Llama, I predicted a top 10 finish for Webster for sure, top 5 on a good day.

I did NOT expect him to get 3rd! Amazing.

I declined to go as an alternate to state, I would've been to upset seeing as our team got 6th in Sectionals. (Top 5 go to State)

We all ran our best races of the season, we just couldn't overcome the setbacks we've had this year. Every runner in our top 5 was injured at some point this year

We sent an individual, he got 71st I believe? And our girls team missed qualifying by 3 points, they also got 6th We sent one runner and she got 42nd or so IIRC.

So yah, I went 16:15 at Sectionals with a tad bit of wind, but I can honestly say I ran as hard as ever. It just sucks, Edwardsville and United Township beat us, despite the fact that our 5th guy was less than a minute behind our first guy (who finished 15th).

Edwardsville had Sweatt, who got 2nd, and UT had a one-two punch of Webster and Sands, 1st and 10th respectively.

There was just no way for us to compete with that Oh well, I had a memorable season, from the guardrail to the appendicitis to getting another medal at Conference (something I deemed impossible at the beginning of the season after my 17:58 ).

@FQ best of luck to your team, sounds like it'll be the race of their lives And if it is any consolation, we have a kid on our team, his first race his freshman year was 25 something, and he ran 16:30 at regionals this past year as a senior. It doesn't apply to everyone, but if you keep training you can get better Just gotta believe!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I don't regret it later, but a group of friends and I are joining the cross country team at my high school. Let me just say I have NO ENDURANCE whatsoever.

Any tips on increasing said endurance? Practice is going to be three days a week, and during the summer, it's everyday.

Oh, and does anyone have any tips on water consumption? How much should I drink during the day (before practice)?

The 95 degree weather here in Jacksonville is really going to suck hard.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: