SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Cross Country Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorasgoof wrote:
Hopefully I don't regret it later, but a group of friends and I are joining the cross country team at my high school. Let me just say I have NO ENDURANCE whatsoever.

Any tips on increasing said endurance? Practice is going to be three days a week, and during the summer, it's everyday.

Oh, and does anyone have any tips on water consumption? How much should I drink during the day (before practice)?

The 95 degree weather here in Jacksonville is really going to suck hard.

Drink water whenever you have the chance during the day. Lots of it. Also, get in more than 3 days a week of practice, if possible. 4 or 5 days a week of running is a must. Also, there's nothing that can be done about the heat, I'm afraid. It's pretty awful in Louisiana as well. :/

I'm starting my summer training in about a week. I'm hoping to get up to 7 miles of endurance by the end of the summer. I should able to do it. My goal for the season is breaking a 20 minute 3 mile.

I'm dreading this.

sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today was my first day. It wasn't HORRIBLE, but I definitely have room for improvement.

The best feeling in the world is when you're done with a lot of stretching, workouts, and a decently long run. The word "pure" comes to mind, but it doesn't really explain what I'm talking about.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
SAW4135  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorasgoof wrote:
Well, today was my first day. It wasn't HORRIBLE, but I definitely have room for improvement.

The best feeling in the world is when you're done with a lot of stretching, workouts, and a decently long run. The word "pure" comes to mind, but it doesn't really explain what I'm talking about.

I know the feeling. Running does actually make you feel amazing as you grow accustomed to it

Right before a run (about 30 minutes), drink enough water not to where you feel bloated, but enough so your mouth isn't dry. As long as you are somewhere in that range, you should be fine. After a run, drink as much water as you want, your body will need to recover. As for during the day, just stay hydrated. If you feel tired or sore, go drink water, it'll help you more than you think.

Also, running 5 days a week is a must. Even if every other day is a nice 2-3 mile jog, its necessary to get your body adjusted to that schedule. It'll also help build up better lactic acid resistance, which will increase your overall endurance as a whole as you get faster.

So don't go out and kill yourself with running, just slowly build your mileage. It'd be better to do 5 days of running one mile than one day of running 5 miles. Getting a summer base for cross country is key, and if you do it right, and can be miles ahead of the competition and even surprise yourself!

Good luck!

On a personal note, I'm not running cross country in college, but I will probably continue to run over the summer and at college, just in a club or by myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So summer training is now well under way for runners all across the nation (including myself) and I was wondering how XC runners on the site are preparing for their upcoming season.

I've been running 55-60 mile weeks and have participated in several 5Ks (as evidenced by my avatar) and it's actually been lots of fun. I can't wait for this season, we REALLY want another birth into the state meet.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm steadily improving, but that's not saying much. We run four days a week, and I ride my bike twice a week. I take one day off to let my shins heal, because they always hurt.

We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
GenericName  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ran a total of twice this summer! That;s more than last summer, when I ran once. However, I am going to run.... starting in july. I swear it.

It's because I'm going to have access to a treadmill for a few weeks, and I think I would much prefer raining on a treadmill than running around my neighborhood, which smells bad and is hard to run in. I hate running on asphalt.

/excuses

I'm not the most competitive runner...

LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorasgoof wrote:
I'm steadily improving, but that's not saying much. We run four days a week, and I ride my bike twice a week. I take one day off to let my shins heal, because they always hurt.
That's a great way to start, remember to keep building on your workouts as the summer progresses. As for your shins, do you know why they hurt? If not it could definitely be your shoes or the way your feet hit the ground when you run or something, I know freshman year I had some shin problems and that was fixed when I made my running form more of a 'rolling' motion to reduce stress on any one part of my foot (feet). Or the support in your shoes could be bad.

GenericName wrote:
It's because I'm going to have access to a treadmill for a few weeks, and I think I would much prefer raining on a treadmill than running around my neighborhood, which smells bad and is hard to run in. I hate running on asphalt.
I've never been able to stand treadmills so I respect you for that lol.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
wiczac  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay yeah love this thread lol. my first year of cross country my PR was 17:20, i guess my whole team thought i was insane for running that kindof time my sophmore year but i wanted state so bad and didnt make it. anyway ive been running 10 miles a day slower speed than race pace, but im still booking it, i was wundering if anyone had any tips on how to really cut down my times and make state? that would be awesome, i lift, do abb workouts like crazy i have run out of ideas on how to get better.
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is laughable to you guys, but I finally built up enough endurance to be able to run a full mile without stopping at all. Queue laughter.

I've gotta build it up more. I need to be able to run a 5K in the same manner.

Anthony8  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I remember the good old days of cross country. I ran 19:47 in my freshman year, after that I didn't give a crap about the sport and now I regret it .

For now, I'm just running on my own time and I've made quick progress in a week. I can at the very least run 6 miles at a medium pace. Even though I know I'm doing well in terms of my own conditions, there's also the matter of shin splints . I think I may be running too hard or either my shoes are outdated (I've had them for 2 years and I mainly use them for walking). What could be the problem?
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2012 season is officially under way after this past week (at least here in Illinois) and I KNOW all of you runner/GH players are out there. I'm not the only one around here, I can be sure of that.

Because I know all of you care, I'll just post a brief update.

On Saturday I won the Open Race at our meet (lol) in 17:36, and the next guy was about 20 seconds back... even though that's not a PR for me, it was definitely the most fun I've ever had in a race before. Unfortunately, we have a fantastic team and I'm fighting for my top 7 life as best I can. I would love to run for a state-qualifying team my senior year (that would be this year) but there's a lot of work I have to keep putting in this season if I want to make that happen.

The real exciting this is that our best runner is one of the best runners in the country; he's ranked #1 in the Midwest by NXN standards and has a lot of great times to keep that credible; as a soph he ran 14:36 for 3 miles at the state meet, and last year as a Junior he ran 4:09 for 1600 and 8:55 for 3200. His big goal is to win state this year and I'm honored just to be on a team with him.

How are everyone else's seasons looking?

P.s. my PRs are now 17:29 for 3 miles, 10:55 for 2 and 4:56 for 1.

LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like there was a whole lot of interest in this thread the last time I posted this. But I will still post once more in this and hopefully there will be someone else to chime in.

I write today because my teammate and close friend won the Illinois State Cross Country individual championship in 14:05 for 3 miles, the tenth fastest time ever run on a very historic course. That day will be one I remember forever; although we failed to make the state meet as a team, his victory was more than enough compensation for whatever disappointment we had. Moving forward, he plans to move towards attempting to qualify for the Nike Cross Nationals and Footlocker National Cross Country meets. Based off of who may or may not be registering for these meets, he has a good shot at winning the Midwest qualifying meets for both races and he has a great chance at very high finishes in the national meet.

I ended up #7 on the team, and the fastest time I ended up running was 16:49. I know I could run faster than that but I came a long way since running 23:20 my freshman year so I do believe my career was a success. Depending on where I attend college, I could try walking on to a team somewhere, possibly even D1, if I make enough improvement. Track is still ahead of me and I will be hustling to run some great times there.

I hope someone (anyone?) else had a good reason to report... or any season to report? Meh?

FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my final race of high school cross country about 2 weeks ago. Wanted to get as close to 19:00 as I could for the whole season but only ended up getting 19:48. Tying my personal best. Still felt amazing breaking 20:00 my second time ever. And for the first time that whole year, that WHOLE 4 years of running, I collapsed to the ground at conference with puke spewing out of me every few seconds. Probably one of the best feelings ever.

Also Llama, since you're a senior, hopefully you understand where I'm coming from. I don't want cross country to end for me. I'm gonna miss it and I already do. The people I've met during that sport and everybody that I've talked with. Done. At least in that sport, there's still track and I guess communication outside of running, but I'm still gonna miss it. At conference I teared up twice before running. And when we went to state I cherished it. I'm guessing the same is for you, which would be great haha.

I'm still going to run on my own free time, mainly pushing for under a five minute mile by track season. But I also want to continue training for 19:00 or under, which I'm going to have to accomplish through a road race of some sort in the future.

EDIT: 14:05? HOLY FUCK. Honestly thats beyond rediculous. Our top guy at state got a PR of 15:58 and I thought that was amazing. Wish I would've seen how that guy looked after a 14:05. Grats to him entirely.

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 14:05 is seriously National level stuff right there. I think the best guy on our team was somewhere around 14:50s? And I thought that was insane :p

I do remember the best runners in CA getting 13s during the biggest meet in the country (Mt. SAC)... that was something else. That race even has hills for cryin out loud!

Haha I kind of miss running... but not enough to actually get off my butt. It's been over four years now and I'm much too lazy to run at all
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay responses
FingerQuick wrote:
Had my final race of high school cross country about 2 weeks ago. Wanted to get as close to 19:00 as I could for the whole season but only ended up getting 19:48. Tying my personal best. Still felt amazing breaking 20:00 my second time ever. And for the first time that whole year, that WHOLE 4 years of running, I collapsed to the ground at conference with puke spewing out of me every few seconds. Probably one of the best feelings ever.

Also Llama, since you're a senior, hopefully you understand where I'm coming from. I don't want cross country to end for me. I'm gonna miss it and I already do. The people I've met during that sport and everybody that I've talked with. Done. At least in that sport, there's still track and I guess communication outside of running, but I'm still gonna miss it. At conference I teared up twice before running. And when we went to state I cherished it. I'm guessing the same is for you, which would be great haha.

I'm still going to run on my own free time, mainly pushing for under a five minute mile by track season. But I also want to continue training for 19:00 or under, which I'm going to have to accomplish through a road race of some sort in the future.

EDIT: 14:05? HOLY FUCK. Honestly thats beyond rediculous. Our top guy at state got a PR of 15:58 and I thought that was amazing. Wish I would've seen how that guy looked after a 14:05. Grats to him entirely.
I'm glad you can commiserate with me, haha. These four years have been great and I'm definitely an emotional/sentimental person, so I cried when we didn't make state (long story short, we thought we were going but then they corrected a scoring error and we actually didn't qualify) and then I cried again when Jack won state, since that kind of felt like closure for us. Most of my closest friends in high school are on cross country and track, and I've met countless people from around the region and the country, some even kinda famous, through running. I wish I had four more years of high school XC... but college XC may be the next best thing.

We do have one more race left, that being the Nike Cross Midwest Regional meet. Jack will definitely be trying to win that race and qualify for the Nike Cross National race. I just want to use this as one last chance to leave it all out there on the course, because I may never get that opportunity again. I want to break 17:00 for 5k, and although that course is awful, with a little luck I think I can get there.

Yes, 14:05 is insane. Illinois itself is crazy; we had one other runner qualify for state, and he was 15:08 but still finished in 57th. It took like 14:48 to be all-state (top 25). So we're used to these fast times.

This is a video of that race, and at about 4:04 in the video is the beginning of the final stretch where Jack pulls away. They're moving very fast...

Even more insane was that the winner of the girls race ran 16:02. That destroyed the previous course record by 20 seconds and she's still improving (she's a junior) so that was beyond awesome to witness in person.

alexhaz64 wrote:
Yeah, 14:05 is seriously National level stuff right there. I think the best guy on our team was somewhere around 14:50s? And I thought that was insane :p

I do remember the best runners in CA getting 13s during the biggest meet in the country (Mt. SAC)... that was something else. That race even has hills for cryin out loud!

Haha I kind of miss running... but not enough to actually get off my butt. It's been over four years now and I'm much too lazy to run at all
Well I'm not sure what distance those 14:50's were coming from, but if they were 5k's, that comes to about a 14:15 3 mile which is NUTS. So it's insane anyways haha.

Mt. SAC is something like 2.85 miles though. It's a lot shorter than what most national runners run, but the hills are definitely a super tough factor, I've seen video of that course and it's painful just to watch. Sarah Baxter ran 16:00 there earlier this year and that kinda got hyped up as the greatest high school running performance of all time, definitely by a girl and possibly by anyone.

I know you can do it Alex haha I realize that I will probably have to motivate myself to continue running after high school if I don't make a college team but I think that running will be something I keep close to me for the rest of my life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: