ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Quickplay+ Power Strategy Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDSmith  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: The Quickplay+ Power Strategy Thread Reply with quote

List of songs where 20 stars are possible (21 with FC)

All are done on the highest difficulty with Nova+ and Generator+ unless noted. If further information is available I've added a link.

Warriors of Rock

2112 Pt. 2 - The Temples of Syrinx - drums
2112 Pt. 4 - Presentation - drums
2112 Pt. 5 - Oracle: The Dream - drums
2112 Pt. 6 - Soliloquy - guitar/drums
Again - guitar/bass/drums
Been Caught Stealing - guitar/bass/drums
Black Rain - guitar/bass/drums
Black Widow of La Porte - guitar
Bloodlines - guitar
Bodies - guitar
Calling - guitar
Chemical Warfare - guitar
Cherry Bomb - drums
Fascination Street - guitar/bass/drums
The Feel Good Drag - guitar/drums
Free Ride - drums
Fury of the Storm - guitar/bass
Get Free - guitar/drums
Ghost - guitar/drums
Graduate - guitar/drums
Hard to See - guitar/bass/drums
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due - guitar/bass
How You Remind Me - drums/vocals
I Know What I Am - guitar
If You Want Peace...Prepare for War - guitar/bass
Interstate Love Song - guitar/drums
Jet City Woman - drums
Love Gun - drums
Machinehead - guitar/drums
Modern Day Cowboy - guitar
Nemesis - guitar - video
The Outsider - guitar
Pour Some Sugar On Me (Live) - guitar/drums
Psychosocial - guitar
Re-Ignition (Live) - guitar/drums
Renegade - drums
Scumbag Blues - guitar/drums
Self-Esteem - guitar/bass/drums
Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants - guitar
Slow Hands - guitar/drums
Stray Cat Blues - bass
Sudden Death - guitar/drums
Tick Tick Boom - guitar
Ties That Bind - guitar/drums (drums TBC)
This Day We Fight! - guitar/bass (guitar TBC)
There's No Secrets This Year - guitar/drums
Tones of Home - guitar/drums
Unskinny Bop - guitar/drums
Wish - drums

Guitar Hero 5

Comedown - guitar
Demon(s) - guitar/drums (drums TBC)
Do You Feel Like We Do (Live) - drums (TBC)
Hungry Like the Wolf - drums (TBC)
In My Place - guitar/drums
In The Meantime - drums
Judith - drums
Kryptonite - guitar
L.A. - guitar
Maiden, Mother and Crone - drums (TBC)
One Big Holiday - drums
Scatterbrain (Live) - guitar
Superstition - bass (TBC)
Sympathy for the Devil - bass
What I Got - bass (TBC)
Wolf Like Me - guitar

Band Hero

Back Again - guitar/drums
Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - drums
Bring Me to Life - guitar
Don't Speak - guitar/drums
Every Rose Has Its Thorn - guitar
In a Big Country - bass
Kung Fu Fighting - guitar
Lifeline - guitar
Paralyzer - guitar
Rio - drums
Sugar, We're Goin Down - guitar
Take A Picture - guitar
Take What You Take - guitar (TBC, FC + star power path needed)
Y.M.C.A. - drums
You Had Me - guitar

Metallica

The Black River - guitar/drums
Demon Cleaner - drums
Evil - drums
Fade to Black - drums
Fight Fire With Fire - guitar
Hit the Lights - drums
King Nothing - drums
Mother of Mercy - guitar
No Leaf Clover - guitar
The Unforgiven - guitar
Turn the Page (Live) - bass (Easy, with Nova + Amplifier)
Whiplash - guitar/drums

Smash Hits/Greatest Hits

Cult of Personality - drums
Free Bird - guitar
Freya - drums (TBC)
Hey You - bass
Monkey Wrench - bass
Psychobilly Freakout - guitar
Shout at the Devil - drums

World Tour

Everlong - drums
The Joker - guitar
The Kill - bass
Love Spreads - guitar (drums TBC)
Never Too Late - guitar
Obstacle 1 - drums (TBC)
Our Truth - guitar
Santeria - bass
Shiver - guitar/drums
Stillborn - guitar/bass/drums
Stranglehold - drums
Today - guitar

DLC

'54, '74, '90, 2010 - guitar (Speed Freak+/Multiplier Extender+ and Nova+)
21st Century (Digital Boy) - guitar
Addicted - guitar
Afterlife - guitar
Ain't Got Nothin - bass
All The Right Moves - guitar
Always - guitar
Anything - drums
Because of You - guitar - video
Bloodmeat - guitar
Blue Monday - drums (TBC)
Broken Man - guitar
Burning in the Skies - drums
Camel's Night Out - guitar/bass/drums
C'est Comme Ca - drums
C-lebrity - guitar
Cyanide - guitar
Debaser - guitar
Degenerated - bass
Dez Moines - guitar
Down With the Sickness - guitar/bass
Fat Bottomed Girls - guitar
Fat Lip - drums
From The Blue/Point of No Return/TTRTS - drums
Grave of Opportunity - guitar
Guitar Duel with Zakk Wylde - guitar
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits Theme - guitar/drums
Hangar 18 - drums (TBC)
Harder to Breathe - guitar/drums
Hark The Herald Angels Sing - guitar
Head Like a Hole - drums
Headstrong - guitar
Hot Blooded - drums (TBC)
I'm Outta Time - bass
In The Shadows - guitar
Indestructible - guitar/bass/drums
The Infection - guitar
Into The Void - guitar
Jimi - guitar/bass
Juke Box Hero - drums
Kid Charlemagne - drums (TBC)
Kings and Queens - drums
Laser Cannon Deth Sentence - guitar
Last Resort - guitar
Lay It on the Line - drums
Lemon Frosting - guitar
Lied der Deutschen (GH Version) - guitar
Livin' on the Edge - guitar
Love in an Elevator - guitar
Low (Travis Barker Remix) - drums
Modern Day Delilah - drums
Munich - drums
Name - drums
Plowed - bass/drums
Rag Doll - guitar
Ready to Fall - drums
Resistance - bass
Sacrifice - guitar/drums
Sample in a Jar (Live) - guitar/drums
Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades - guitar
Simple Man - guitar
Single - guitar
Stricken - guitar/bass/drums
Take the Money and Run - drums
Ticks - drums
To Be Where There's Life - instrument unknown
Twilight of the Thunder God - bass/drums
Waiting for the End - drums
Who I Am - guitar/drums
Wretches and Kings - drums
Your Face - guitar
Youth of the Nation - drums

List of songs where max stars cannot be obtained using score stars alone

These use two of the powers that give 5 stars irrespective of score, thus 16 stars with an FC. Best powers to use are Speed Freak+ and Crowd Hyper+.

SH - I Love Rock 'N' Roll

Guide to getting high star counts

So I've been playing Warriors of Rock for a week now and I've had time to tinker with the various powers in Quickplay+. I've posted a few tips below to help people maximise their QP+ score and get as many power stars as possible.

Also, I made this thread so that people can discuss which powers are best used on which songs to achieve as many power stars per song as they can.

Note that not all of these may be correct but it's just what I've observed. Also, these are just general guidelines. If you find a method that contradicts what's below, let us know about it and we can treat it as a notable exception.

Feel free to add your own tips, either in general or for any particular song.

1. General information

The maximum number of power stars attainable by score alone on a song is 21 (20 + one for the FC, thanks Kubuh). It may be possible to get higher if one of your powers is one that gives you 5 stars unrelated to score, but this hasn't been proved obtainable yet.

As far as we can tell so far, it is not obtainable on all songs. Like with normal 5-star ratings, the cut-offs appear to be dependent on the multiplier. That means you want to keep your multiplier as high as possible for as long as possible. The highest possible multiplier is 36x, but if you use the two powers to produce this you are limited to whatever star power the chart throws at you. Generally use powers that give a 24x multipler and allow use of SP for far longer than normal Quickplay would allow.

2. Instrument selection

First and foremost, don't pick vocals to attempt it with - the scores are lower in general and won't get you as many stars. As an example, I FC'd Fury of the Storm on Expert vocals in Domination mode and only got 39 stars.

You generally want to try it on either guitar or drums - guitar for the chords, which can get you a lot of points, and drums because they are generally playing continuously throughout the song when the guitar takes breaks. However, there are a few that are best on bass, so don't forget this on songs like Sympathy for the Devil.

As a broad rule, if the drum chart has far more notes than the guitar/bass charts (e.g. Dammit or Seven) then pick that. However, if the guitar chart is chord-heavy (e.g. Take a Picture) go for that.

3. Power Selection - Part 1

One of your two powers to pick should always be Star Power Nova+, which makes your star power multipler 6x instead of 2x. As useful as some of the other powers are, if you don't have this one your maximum star power multipler is 12x. With this one, your max star power is 24x, and 36x if you add in Extended Multipler+.

4. Power Selection - Part 2 / Song Strategy

Before you pick your powers, think about the speed and difficulty of the song you're playing. Generally you'll want a combination of the powers that boost star power, but if there's a difficult song that you cannot combo to save yourself then you may be better picking one of the powers that gives you 5 stars unrelated to score. Assuming you're playing a song that you can 4- or 5-star in normal Quickplay, you shouldn't need these powers and can focu on the three that boost SP.

The speed of the song is important. Remember that the duration of accumulated star power only varies with BPM, so star power will last longer on slow songs. Also, on songs with low BPM, star power phrases will generally show up after less measures (since four measures in a slow song can be as much as 20-30 seconds).

However, slow songs may not have as many notes per second as ones with faster BPM, so if you pick Star Power Generator+ (where every 10-note streak gives 10% SP) it'll take longer to fill the SP meter and may not refill fast enough to keep SP going for a decent length of time. In these cases the SP meter may die away before there are enough notes to refill it.

My strategy is, for a fast song (e.g. Dyer's Eve) your best bet is to combine Star Power Nova+ and Star Power Generator+, so that you have a maximum 24x multiplier and regain 10% SP every 10 notes. Your SP will drain faster, but because of the high note speed you will regain it faster, and so your SP will last longer than the short time that 4 measures at high BPM normally gives you. Plus it helps you keep SP going for longer in between SP phrases.

However, for slow songs (e.g. Enter Sandman) you have a choice: either do the above, which works the majority of the time (and gives better scores) or combine Star Power Nova+ and Star Power Amplifier+. This power fills your SP meter immediately instead of just giving you 1/4, meaning that one star power phrase gives you 4 measures of SP. And since slow songs take longer to get through 4 measures, you'll often find that another SP phrase comes along shortly after your SP finishes, meaning you have very little in the way of downtime between activated star power. But only use Amplifier+ if there aren't enough notes to keep Generator+ active.

5. Experiment!

Like I said at the beginning, these guidelines are great for getting high star counts but they may not give the maximum possible stars. It all depends on the chart.

A great example I found was Born to Run's guitar chart. Around about the time this DLC was released for World Tour, the star power charting was overly long, with one star power phrase lasting for several measures. In the case of Born to Run, this means there are several places where you can fill your star power meter with one phrase and a hell of a lot of whammy. In this instance, I used Star Power Nova+ and Extended Multipler+ to push my max multipler up to 36x, and there was more than enough star power in the chart that, used in the right places, it was easy to get 15+ stars on that song.

6. To Finish, Some Examples

I just thought I'd run through a couple of songs I've played in QP+ to give you an idea of how my strategies have gone.

Harder to Breathe - 18 Stars - Slow song. SP Amplifier+ gave me almost constant 24x multiplier throughout the song.

Do You Feel Like We Do - 17 Stars - Lots of solos and chords, so went with the Star Power Generator+. Wasn't that good of a run, but still got a hell of a high score.

Nothin' But a Good Time - 17 Stars - This one I did on drums with Generator+ on. Hi-hat rolls at the beginning got me SP quickly and then it was there for most of the song. Lots of sustains in the guitar part so I thought it'd be better on drums.

American Pie - 15 Stars - This is a tricky one. The intro and outro are really slow and perfect for Amplifier+, but the middle few verses are faster and better suited to Generator+. I got 15 stars with Amplifier+ (and missing one SP phrase).

Dyer's Eve - 12 Stars - Used Generator+ and did well enough for a 5* but still only ended up with 12 Stars. So either I didn't do well enough, or it's better on Drums, or there's a better power combination out there.

Battery - 11 Stars - Fast song, so I used Generator+, but had trouble comboing it so didn't do very well.

Enter Sandman - 10 Stars - Used Amplifier+ but missed a couple of SP phrases so it cost me.

I hope that helps everyone. If anyone has any of their own tips, strategies or just general debate to add, then by all means let me know. If you've found a method better than mine I'd be glad to hear it, so we can help maximise QP+ scores. Happy scoring!

Last edited by DVDSmith on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 138 times in total
Kubuh  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximum would be 21 stars, you get an extra star for an FC in the power challenge as well.
And I'm pretty sure it works exactly like domination mode for maximum stars, so 20 would be the maximum number of score stars but you could get more with the 5 extra stars power.

I don't see any song where that'd be actually possible though so I guess 21 would be the max that anyone will actually get.

And I generally use SP Nova and SP Generator. Unless the song has very few notes (I Love Rock & Roll, Gratitude etc) in which case I use SP Nova and Multiplier Extender. There is a possibility that SP Amplifier is better though, haven't really tested it out.

But yeah, most songs it'll probably be SP Nova and SP Accumulator that are the best, and they'll never be bad as long as you can almost FC the song.

And as I said, you might wanna add that you get an extra star for FCing the song.

Last edited by Kubuh on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yveul  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 21 stars on Sugar We're Going Down on guitar, with SP Generator and SP Nova. BPM are extremely low and it's a great 3chords fest, I guess we can find some DLC like that. IIRC, the star bar was still increasing when I finished the song, so I guess there's no real limit.

Great thread by the way !

EDIT : Nevermind. "Classic" stars are indeed capped at 20.

Last edited by Yveul on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DVDSmith  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubuh wrote:
Maximum would be 21 stars, you get an extra star for an FC in the power challenge as well.
And I'm pretty sure it works exactly like domination mode for maximum stars, so 20 would be the maximum number of score stars but you could get more with the 5 extra stars power.

I don't see any song where that'd be actually possible though so I guess 21 would be the max that anyone will actually get.

And as I said, you might wanna add that you get an extra star for FCing the song.

Edited, thanks. You're probably right, 25 stars is probably theoretically possible but unless they release a DLC song that's like Take a Picture but twice as long and at Dragonforce speeds I don't see that happening.

Unless it actually is possible with Take a Picture to get 20+ stars - would probably need Star Power Nova+ and Axel's Ankh power though.

Edit: 21, Yveul? Was it an FC? I thought the bar stopped filling when I hit 20 on Take a Picture but I might be wrong.

Edit 2: It's called Generator+, not Accumulator+. Should've realised before I saw Yveul's post. *facepalm*

Last edited by DVDSmith on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yveul  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was an FC, that's why I got the 21st star. I'll try it again, just to be sure, I may be wrong !

EDIT : Yep, you're right, I'm totally wrong. Basic stars are capped at 20 !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Barfo  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been playing quest so far, so i havent seen this w.r.t also having a score on there (ive been just checking avg multi in more stats at end of song), but what i noticed is that the powerstars that you get from the score contribution (as opposed to the character power ones) defintiely seem to follow a similar formula to classic quickplay stars (just extended). To wit, from what ive seen so far 4 and 5* seem to be at 2.0 and 2.8 multiplier as usual, and id guess 1 through 3 star are the same too (in GH5/BH: 0.1, 0.65, 0.9) - 2->3 stars defintiely goes faster than 1->2 which is a property ive come to expect from GH5.

As far as the extended stars, the only one that ive been able to extensively study is the 6* one, as anythign higher than that is just really hard with only one (usually non upgraded except for encore) power. The highest avg multi that i got while still 5* was 4.669 or soemthing (dont have sheet i was writing it down on in front of me), and the lowest multi i got while still 6* was 4.696, therefor i think it the cutoff was somethign between those, pretty close i think to the high end since in that run i got the 6* on the very last note of song. I got to 7* one time, and i wrote down the multi (dont have it in front of me) but what i recall was that it was in the low 6's, and i had beaten 7* by a good 30-50% by the bar, so it looks like the distance from 6->7 is smaller than 5->6 - it might not be a fixed increment which i had originally hoped (and still hope)

If score displays in power challenge, and if no fail also works it should be not too hard to just do a traditional style plus one minus one proof of a song, though it will be a hassle doing it 15 times to get the exact cutoff for each power star up to 20. Maybe htis weekend if i get bored of the core game (fat chance!) i'll get started on such a project.
Mike65707  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you see the score in a power challenge Barfo and I don't see why no fail wouldn't work. :P

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
DVDSmith  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went and played Sugar We're Going Down and the bar stopped filling after 20 stars. So 21 is definitely the maximum by score alone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're not getting at least 15 stars from score you should just go ahead and use Speed freak + Crowd Hyper and net an easy 14-17 stars

(Ranging from 4 starring the song to 6 Stars from score + an FC)

Assuming you're just playing to get stars and rank up instead of going for scores. (I almost always use Generator and Nova for score)

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
DVDSmith  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garwood wrote:
if you're not getting at least 15 stars from score you should just go ahead and use Speed freak + Crowd Hyper and net an easy 14-17 stars

(Ranging from 4 starring the song to 6 Stars from score + an FC)

Assuming you're just playing to get stars and rank up instead of going for scores. (I almost always use Generator and Nova for score)

I just got 16 stars on Get Free guitar with Star Power Nova+ and Speed Freak+ (10 stars by score + FC). There may be some songs where you could get 15 stars by score, so it may be possible to use this route too.

Edit: Just played Cherry Bomb guitar with Nova and Amplifier (14 stars, 799,000) and then Nova and Generator (16 stars, 911,000). Neither was an FC (in fact I missed in the same place twice).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 Stars on Rio Drums. With Star Power Generator+ you can actually keep star power active for the entire song once you get the first 50 notes. Got 19 stars on that one, 20 is probably doable, I missed in a few places.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 19 Stars the other day on Disposable Heroes with Star Power Nova+ and Generator+. I also have first place on the Power Challenge on X Guitar with 3.9million. I haven't tried any other combinations. I also got 19 Stars with the same setup on Frantic, and it was an FC too.

Barfo  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got an easy 19.5 stars on DYFLWD (and 4.95M points) on drums with pandora + echo powers. The notes are very dense realtive to the BPM so SP hardly runs out at all. I missed 20 or more notes spreac through the whole song:

The 20 stars would be easily possible with a better run, and im certain FC would get 21.

Note that this was 20.259 avg multi when i checked more stats. Theres somethign different going on in domination mode, as I got 28.762 on a song with only 19 score stars, and 28.723 on a different song in dom and got all 20..
DVDSmith  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted in Guitar/Bass forum that they got 21 stars on Again guitar with Generator and Nova. So that's three songs that can definitely get 21 stars (four if Barfo's right about DYFLWD drums):

Again - guitar
Sugar We're Goin Down - guitar
Take a Picture - guitar

Would be good to get a list going in the wiki.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
i got an easy 19.5 stars on DYFLWD (and 4.95M points) on drums with pandora + echo powers. The notes are very dense realtive to the BPM so SP hardly runs out at all. I missed 20 or more notes spreac through the whole song:

The 20 stars would be easily possible with a better run, and im certain FC would get 21.

Note that this was 20.259 avg multi when i checked more stats. Theres somethign different going on in domination mode, as I got 28.762 on a song with only 19 score stars, and 28.723 on a different song in dom and got all 20..

so are the Stars based on the multiplier ? if so, does it means a easy/medium/hard player could reach the same numbers of stars as the expert player ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: