SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Chefs of ScoreHero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TQSG  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am beast at cooking breakfast.

I actually enjoy cooking for myself whenever I can (which is usually in the mornings because of my school schedule), holding a pan is one of the most powerful feelings in the world. The first thing I ever attempted to cook was an egg, and from there I went up to an egg sandwich, and from that I hopped over to cooking meats like bacon and sausage and I even took on a steak once, and then I took on french toast. I do very much enjoy making french toast whenever I please, like at midnight.

I never did learn how to cook something decent, just some breakfast stuff. Though I'd love to learn how to cook shrimp, or just seafood in general. Can't be that hard.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: TQSG
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made spaghetti for the first time ever today. It actually tasted better than my mom's, who's been making it for years. I was so surprised at how a little tablespoon of salt added to the boiled water along with the noodles could add so much flavor (and she thought it'd make it taste worse >______>)

I want to learn how to make chicken francaise, which is one of my favorite foods ever. All of a sudden I just wanted to learn how to cook, so it's kinda cool that this thread came along :P

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Confury  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

I want to learn how to make chicken francaise, which is one of my favorite foods ever. All of a sudden I just wanted to learn how to cook, so it's kinda cool that this thread came along :P

Yeah, I was really happy when I saw this thread pop up since I'm starting my cooking adventure myself. Maybe this thread could be beneficial to my cooking somehow... And uh, I add salt to every pasta I cook now after tasting the difference.

Also, if you ever end up having extra pasta but no sauce, you can heat up the pasta with some butter and add garlic to it, tastes great. Trick my mom showed me. I might be missing something though.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confury wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Yeah, I was really happy when I saw this thread pop up since I'm starting my cooking adventure myself. Maybe this thread could be beneficial to my cooking somehow... And uh, I add salt to every pasta I cook now after tasting the difference.

Also, if you ever end up having extra pasta but no sauce, you can heat up the pasta with some butter and add garlic to it, tastes great. Trick my mom showed me. I might be missing something though.

That sounds really good; garlic always makes everything taste better to me I'm gonna try my hand at making meatballs with cubes of mozzarella inside of them sometime this week. My aunt always used to make them and they were absolutely delicious.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once my Dad moves out and I'm no longer forced to cook, I think I'll enjoy it more. Then I'll start tampering more in the kitchen.

On a side note, I baked a carrot cake today. It was magical.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deserts is something I haven't quite ventured into yet. I'd like to learn how to make brownies from scratch and maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot. Tonight I'm going to cook a pot roast I believe. Cut up some carrots, throw in a few red potatoes, add some peppercorn seasoning (love peppercorn!), and add some onion flavor (I don't have any onions to throw in the mix but I have some onion seasoning). Put it all in the crock pot for about 6 hours.

I'm drooling as I type.......
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
Deserts is something I haven't quite ventured into yet. I'd like to learn how to make brownies from scratch and maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot. Tonight I'm going to cook a pot roast I believe. Cut up some carrots, throw in a few red potatoes, add some peppercorn seasoning (love peppercorn!), and add some onion flavor (I don't have any onions to throw in the mix but I have some onion seasoning). Put it all in the crock pot for about 6 hours.

I'm drooling as I type.......

I used to be able to make a really great chocolate cake. I can't remember the exact recipe, but it involves putting coffee in the cake mix to help bring out the flavor. It tastes really amazing with the coffee added in. If I can find the exact recipe I'll put it up on here.

FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some easy things to make for someone who would like to get into cooking/baking?
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeXBird wrote:
What are some easy things to make for someone who would like to get into cooking/baking?

As far as I can tell, from-scratch macaroni and cheese is simple.

Also, that carrot cake I mentioned earlier was amazing.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac n Cheese is pretty simple. The recipe that was given earlier seemed pretty good. And really, you don't even need to add crackers to the dish. That's just for extra quality and what not (personally think the crackers make it taste better but they're really not necessary).

The way I started off was grilling meats in a skillet. Try your hand at cooking a boneless chicken breast on the stove. Do it over medium heat (high heat will cook it too fast and dry it out), add whatever spices you want to it (if any), and flip it about 5 minutes in (depends on breast thickness). Best if you add a little olive or vegetable oil on the bottom of the pan so it doesn't stick.

If you want it a little juicier, you can add a little bit of water (about a 1/4 cup, maybe not even that much) to the skillet and then put a lid on top. It's really fairly simple. This was one of the first foods I experimented with cooking.

As for sides, I like to cook fresh vegetables. I pick everything from the produce area of the store. I steam asparagus, boil red potatoes, steam broccoli, cook carrots, whatever. I also cook rice from time to time. But here, I buy the boxed rices that are flavored (usually Uncle Ben, long wild rice). Side dishes are one of the areas I'm working on expanding. I want to learn how to make more from scratch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember Jesse made a thread documenting recipes that SH users submitted; I could probably find it but I don't really feel like it at the moment.

I absolutely love cooking and baking and I really started when I was younger when I helped my mom make French toast on weekends, and the occasional banana chocolate chip muffins (both are great )

In my school, I took a Foods and Nutrition class last year, where we basically cooked a pretty wide variety of foods, like muffins, Christmas cookies, stir fry, soups, pizza, etc. Great class. This year I take an international foods class which is going pretty well. We've just finished "studying" Italy (by study, I mean cook a shitload of food ). We made rigatoni, fettuccine alfredo, and bruschetta. The group who did a presentation on Italy prepared home-made pasta, which turned out nicely.

I think I have most, if not all, of the Italian recipes and I have a good recipes for the muffins I talked about earlier, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, apple crumb muffins, and snickerdoodle cookies.

Next year I'll probably take another foods class where the first half of the year we make a bunch of cakes and stuff like that and the rest of the year we make regional US foods
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man. I love Chicken Cordeon Bleu. Making it is so much fun, and the end product is a mouthwatering ORGASM.

I'm also a spices sort of guy, so my weekend treat is a panini with ham, pepper jack, fresh onion/lettuce, Spicy Ranch (MMMMMM.), Cayenne Peper, Crushed Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Seasoning salt, and Italian Herbs. Best damn sandwich a man could ask for. (I should take pictures, ha. )
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

I want to learn how to make chicken francaise, which is one of my favorite foods ever.

The recipe is simplistic, however requires a lot of quick multitasking.

Making francaise sauce on its own is good also; dipping bread in it or even using it as a sauce on pasta is amazing.
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 100% dessert chef lol. I cannot cook anything decent tasting or looking for main courses, but I love making desserts, especially stuff like mousses and cheesecakes.
I have no idea why it's only desserts XD
I make a mean butternut squash soup though.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
Davers  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
I am a 100% dessert chef lol. I cannot cook anything decent tasting or looking for main courses, but I love making desserts, especially stuff like mousses and cheesecakes.
I have no idea why it's only desserts XD
I make a mean butternut squash soup though.

Whenever I do venture into desserts, I think cheesecake from scratch will be one of the things I learn to make first. I love that stuff. Probably my favorite desert. I love going to The Cheesecake Factory or Copeland's to eat just because they have the most awesome cake ever. Man, I wish I had some right now.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: