ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Future of Competitive Rhythm Gaming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vVvGaming  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: The Future of Competitive Rhythm Gaming Reply with quote

Earlier today, an article was posted on the Chicago Tribune's Geek to Me blog written by vVv Gaming's own rhythm gamer vVv Paradise. The name of the article is "From Guitar Hero to Rock Band: The Future of Competitive Rhythm Gaming."

As that ScoreHero is one of the homes of competitive rhythm gaming, we from vVv would love to hear community member opinions. Is Paradise right with his views or is he incorrect?

Quote:
Over the last five years, rhythm games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band have reached unparalleled levels of popularity in North America. The number of game titles that use colored buttons on plastic instruments has reached the double digit mark and Harmonix, creator of both Guitar Hero and Rock Band, is looking to progress the genre further with their latest titles. But with sales numbers down for both Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock and Rock Band, rhythm gaming is showing signs of genre fatigue. What does the future hold for fans of music gaming and competitive rhythm gamers?

Full article can be found here.

vVv Gaming's Accomplishments Threads
*Rock Band
*Guitar Hero
*DJ Hero
Garwood  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Future of Competitive Rhythm Gaming Reply with quote

vVv Paradise wrote:
where there are gamers with a desire to be the best, there will always be competition!

Basically.
It's not as broadly popular but there will always be a niche community.

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how they took the Score Duel out of Rock Band 3, I'd say the competitive aspect of things is looking better for Guitar Hero, at least on a one-on-one basis. ;)

But in all seriousness, there will always be the hardcore fans who compete til the end. But the same can be said with any game - there are still people who care about getting the high score on Tetris or PacMan or whatever, but to say it's the "in" thing everybody is doing at the arcade anymore, not really. The general public will care less about how high of a score you can get on Guitar Hero but the niche market competition will always be there, whether it lives on ScoreHero or the leaderboards.

No doubt I'll be playing plastic instruments until they break and play with future children and so on. But I'd certainly agree that with the genre exhaustion and outrageous amount of content available, I'm much less motivated to go for FC's or compete on any songs since it'll literally get lost in the shuffle when 10 new songs come out the next week. Not that I need recognition to make it worth doing, but I figure if a fan like me is overwhelmed by all of this the casual player doesn't want to touch rhythm game competition with a 10 foot pole.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
massi4h  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as long as WCG continues to pick GH, I'll keep playing it competitively I guess. But tbh they were never really too competitive in the first place. And at the utmost top level, it can really just come down to squeezing (you have the same path to go down every time you play a song, unlike say Quake 3 or something) and with offline lag even degrees of squeezing can be risky.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's what I was thinking of at first, but that's only one tournament. It would be awesome to get GH on the MLG circuit or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, honestly it's quite surprising that Guitar Hero does not have an MLG circuit, especially since it's one of the most skill-based video games out there.

I think having sightread GH/RB tournaments would be really cool and allow for people to be competitive without getting so hung up on laggy activations and squeezing

Plus, what could be more motivating than training for publicity and money if there was MLG, and not just a high xbox live or scorehero ranking?
NU Grad 2015
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: