ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors Reply with quote

999 is a horror visual novel slash puzzle game for the Nintendo DS. It's also one of the 11 (or so) M+ rated games for the DS, and believe me, it shows.

It's like someone took Phoenix Wright's style, took story elements from the good parts of the SAW movies, set everything on a cruise ship, and added "escape the room" puzzles and CYOA elements to it. In other words:

999 is about a group of 9 people that wake up on a cruise ship with no idea how they got there. They find out they've been selected by someone named "Zero", who is putting them through a test known as the Nonary Game. They have to traverse the ship while getting past various obstacles, without breaking any of Zero's rules. If they don't follow the rules, they will be killed. Oh, and they only have nine hours before the ship they're on sinks. Wonderful. The game has 6 (or more) endings, and the decisions you make can influence if anyone dies, and who, among other details.

[Edit] Also, here is a trailer/the opening cinematic. I'd avoid the comments just in case of spoilers, obviously.

Amazon has ten five-star reviews, IGN gave it a 9/10 (<_<), and at this time GameFAQs has three 9/10 and three 10/10 reviews. I'm only an hour or two in so far, but it's already well worth the $35 and getting better. It's very well-written so far, and the characters are extremely interesting and easy to like (or hate).

Has anyone else played this great game? (Please put spoilers in size 0 or quote/white text with a warning, of course - there's supposedly a lot of "twists" in this game and no one wants to be spoiled.)
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.

Last edited by InflatablePie on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like something I would love. Also kind of like Heavy Rain with the different endings.

I totally want this...

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Silly  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the trailer and read a few reviews so decided to get hold of it. I'm playing through it now and it's absolutely fantastic so far. I can see myself putting in a lot of time to get every ending if it carries on being as good as it is now. Definitely worth getting if you have a DS.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
DeusPayne  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might pick it up. Kind of sounds like a grittier Room 215.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
This sounds like something I would love. Also kind of like Heavy Rain with the different endings.

I totally want this...

Heh, I was thinking of the Disgaea games... they, too, had lots of different endings (e.g., Disgaea Infinite has 14 of them).

Erm, but yes, I remember seeing an article in a Nintendo Power about this game. It definitely sounds interesting; I'll be looking into it later. It does make me wonder what kind of puzzles this has, though....

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
It does make me wonder what kind of puzzles this has, though....

Have you ever played Crimson Room or similar games?

That's the main puzzle type so far it seems.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
Silly  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten five of the endings so far (although I'm not sure I fully understand the 'true' ending).

spoilers about another ending wrote:
The axe ending... you can see it coming but even so it's still chilling when it happens... though her motive is understandable, but how in the fuck did she kill Seven (not to mention the other two) especially with others in the room?

Overall I've thoroughly enjoyed this game and will definitely be replaying it through even more times as the story is fantastic.

Are there any other games similar to this available on the PC or DS?

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InflatablePie wrote:
Qarx wrote:
It does make me wonder what kind of puzzles this has, though....

Have you ever played Crimson Room or similar games?

That's the main puzzle type so far it seems.

Why, yes I have. I enjoyed it, though it was highly frustrating that I didn't know how to get that second battery >_>. It was literally the only thing that I needed a guide for >_<.

Anyway, if that's how it is, then I'm interested. How long is the game (assuming you get only one of the 6 endings)? Also, does it have a New Game+ feature? Finally, other than different endings, is there anything you can get from replaying the game?

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
Anyway, if that's how it is, then I'm interested. How long is the game (assuming you get only one of the 6 endings)? Also, does it have a New Game+ feature? Finally, other than different endings, is there anything you can get from replaying the game?

I've been playing for about... five or six hours max if I had to guess, and I'm not sure if I'm done with one ending path yet. Might be close though.

Essentially, yes. You can have a new game plus where you can skip dialogue you've seen and previous options are greyed out so you can get to the different endings. At least, that's what I read somewhere...

You get different endings and slightly different storylines, so you find out different information and twists and stuff along the way. I think. Ask Silly.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if anyone is interested, J-Dub (AKA Jew Wario) has his own review of 999. Given the responses I've gotten here, and the review, I think I'll see if I can get this game .

My Backloggery
Silly  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some endings are slightly longer than others - I believe my first playthrough was 3-4 hours long, but with the New Game+ type option subsequent playthroughs could potentially be halved in length due to being able to skip dialogue (you still have to re-solve puzzles you'd previously done but all dialogue/instruction there is skippable too) It's possible to get to a couple of the endings going through as few as two doors.

Each ending is very different and the storylines (and thus possible endings) drastically change depending on your choices. There are some critical points - where making a certain decision will actually guarantee a bad ending regardless of future actions (which will only change which bad ending you end up with).

In addition, you get the option of replaying any of the puzzle rooms you've encountered directly from the main menu.

ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw you post the link to this earlier this week on Faceboob, and after checking out some of the reviews, I'm actually quite interested in this game. If I had a working DS, (or even a DS ) I'd definately try to get it. I might try to get my brother to pick this up at some point.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadoWolf wrote:
I saw you post the link to this earlier this week on Faceboob, and after checking out some of the reviews, I'm actually quite interested in this game.

Mission accomplished. :D

Having trouble with a numbered door puzzle. Gonna tiny it in case of minor spoilers/puzzle spoilers: I think it was Door 6? I'm here with Lotus and Seven, and I have to check like three different rooms, two of which have paintings of a whirlpool and river looking thing. I don't want to use a guide, but this is frustrating me. I found a screwdriver thing for the desk, but can't find a handle. =/
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

Silly  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Room 6 had me stumped for a while but it was mainly due to oversights on my part. tiny text engage: I assume you've used the screwdriver on the drawer with the strange handle and worked out what to do with the handle. Have a look at the underside of that handle-less drawer... Which room could that be useful in?

Also, does anyone happen to know where I can get hold of one of the watches that were given with the pre-order of the game? I know Aksys had them for sale on their site fairly cheaply, but it was US-only and they seem to be sold out. I found a seller on ebay who wants $50 but won't ship outside of the US (along with the fact I'm not paying THAT much). :/

InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH I get it.

Also, no, but if you find a cheap numbered watch, let me know. :D
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: