ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
MLG & Rhythm Gaming (Update: Interview w/ MLG CEO Sundance)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertiggo  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: MLG & Rhythm Gaming (Update: Interview w/ MLG CEO Sundan Reply with quote

Update 3/25/11

The 60th episode of The Loser's Bracket podcast is online. Listen in to hear the CEO of MLG, Sundance DiGiovanni, talk about the next season of MLG... this includes my conversation with him about this thread.

I recommend listening to the whole interview, but if you just want to hear about the rhythm gaming portion, the talk about it starts at just about 33 minutes.

Quote:
The first event of the 2011 MLG circuit is just days away! Helping us kick off the season right, Major League Gaming’s CEO, Sundance DiGiovanni, stopped by The Loser's Bracket to update us on all things MLG. Tune in to hear Sundance discuss throwback events, Starcraft, Black Ops, Rhythm Gaming, Smash Brothers, Gears/Epic and much more! This is his most transparent and straightforward interview to date.

Click here to listen: http://www.vvv-gaming.com/forum/topic/49048-losers-bracket-round-60/

Update 3/23/11

I just had a great talk with Sundance DiGiovanni, the CEO of MLG, about this thread. In his words, paraphrased... "While it isn't official, the idea of running Rhythm Gaming at MLG is on the white board. Meetings are in place and we're trying to make it happen."

This thread was passed around the MLG office. They were shocked to see the outpour of people who loved this idea. We have done our part. Now it is time to wait and see if it happens. It may not happen as soon as we want it to, but we have accomplished what this threads original intent was... MLG has taken notice of this incredible community. Great job everyone!!

You'll be able to hear my full conversation with Sundance on vVv Gaming's "Loser's Bracket" podcast this coming Thursday. Stay tuned!!!

Original post:

If Major League Gaming were to run a Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock tournament, would you come play in the event? In this potential scenario, lets say there was a decent prize amount on the line for the top 8 players.

Recently I had made a post about how MLG was planning to run DJ Hero 2 at an event this coming year. We at vVv Gaming have been hard at work coming up with a proposal for the CEO of MLG to run Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock instead, as that there is a much bigger competitive gaming community for the game. In addition, with the difficulty of the game, it is a perfect fit for a competitive environment. Below is a draft of our current MLG ruleset... any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

MLG Pro Face Off

Mode: Competitive / Pro Face Off
Instrument: Guitar
Difficulty: Expert
Character: Player Preference
Extra - Hyperspeed: Player Preference
Other Extras: Off
Tilt Sensor: Player Preference
Touch Strip: Player Preference
Venue: Set by judge.
Cheats: None

Legal Guitar Modifications

•Hardwiring fret buttons in guitar neck to the guitar body.
•Custom guitar skins and faceplates, as well as custom paint jobs, stickers and lights.
•Adding parts to make a malfunctioning guitar work as intended. (Ex: Paper shims in a Les Paul neck, Using a rubber band to fix a broken whammy bar, Duct tape, etc)
•Removing the tilt sensor.

Illegal Guitar Modifications

•Moving any of the buttons to a different part of the guitar. This includes the "back" button, strum bar, whammy bar, and the five fret buttons.
•Adding anything to the guitar that gives the player an unfair advantage. For example: taping a bottle cap over the "back" button to make the button easier to hit.

Match Rules

•Players must supply their own Guitar controller. Any official Xbox guitar will be considered legal. (Explorer, Les Paul, GH4/Gh5 Guitar, Warriors of Rock Guitar and Stratocaster)
•Players must be on time to their scheduled match. Being two minutes late will be a verbal warning. Being four minutes late will be an automatic loss of one song. Being six minutes late will be considered a forfeit.
•Winners will be determined by high score.
•The tournament is a double elimination bracket.
•Best two out of three songs until the elite eight. Afterward, best three out of five.
•Continuation sets will be best of seven.
•Before a match starts, each competitor may select one song that the opponent cannot choose to play. This song will be "vetoed" and unavailable for selection.
•The higher seed in each match can pick to either choose the first song or defer.
•Players may not choose the same song/songs two rounds in a row. After a round has passed, the song/songs may be selected again.
•Songs may be selected once per opponent from the MLG Setlist. In the event of a continuation set, different songs must be played.
•If needed, tiebreakers will be selected randomly by the ref from a list of potential tiebreakers.
•Before a tiebreaker starts, each competitor may select one song that will be "vetoed" and unavailable for random selection.
•Pausing the game equals an automatic forfeit of the current song.
•Both squeezing and the tick glitch are high risk, high reward techniques. As such, both techniques are legal.

MLG Setlist

1. Bat Country
2. Been Caught Stealing
3. Black Widow Of La Porte
4. Burn
5. Call Me the Breeze (Live)
6. Calling
7. Chemical Warfare
8. Dancing Through Sunday
9. Deadfall
10. Fury of the Storm
11. If You Want Peace... Prepare For War
12. Modern Day Cowboy
13. Move it on Over (Live)
14. Nemesis
15. Psychosocial
16. Ravenous
17. Setting Fire To Sleeping Giants
18. Speeding
19. Sudden Death
20. Suffocated
21. Ties That Bind
22. This Day We Fight!
23. Tones of Home
24. Unskinny Bop
25. (You Can Still) Rock In America

Potential Tiebreakers

1. Black Widow Of La Porte
2. Burn
3. Call Me the Breeze (Live)
4. Calling
5. Chemical Warfare
6. Fury of the Storm
7. If You Want Peace... Prepare For War
8. Nemesis
9. Psychosocial
10. Ravenous
11. Setting Fire To Sleeping Giants
12. Speeding
13. Sudden Death
14. This Day We Fight!
15. (You Can Still) Rock In America

What we need from YOU, the competitive Guitar Hero community:

-Spread the word! The more people who know about this, the better the chance it will happen. Let MLG know you want to see Warriors of Rock on the circuit this year.

-Give suggestions for how the event should be run! The more information the better. Rules, set up, anything that can make a difference in the quality of the event. Remember, MLG has never run a rhythm game and as such this is new territory for them. This thread will be passed along to Sundance, the CEO of MLG, so that he can see your feedback.

-Show up! If the game does make it into an event, we need to make sure the attendance is stellar. The bigger the attendance, the better the chance we see more national level rhythm gaming tournaments in the coming years.

-Last but not least, show the world why the rhythm gaming community is special! Smash Bros Brawl was taken off the MLG circuit partially due to the controversy that arose from top players being shady and splitting prize pots for guaranteed winnings. Play with intensity and play to win, but shake hands and stay friendly after a match win or lose.

This can and WILL happen if we get enough support. Lets show MLG we want this to happen!!

Original post found here: Click Here!!
gallery_5702_642_2556.png

Last edited by Vertiggo on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Paradise
elScarecrow  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly take part if I had the time/money to do it, but seeing as my family can't afford to fly me somewhere for a guitar hero tournament that I would surely get my ass handed to in. I guess this just goes back to the debate of what makes tournaments worth it for people...

but for everyone that can do MLG then yes this would be phenominal.
Deschain  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MLG officials want to incorporate "Rockfest" modes to make it more "interesting" (aka costumes and crap, but on a lesser level), I would try to accommodate them, but be very careful about the modes allowed. We don't need no stinkin' Battle Mode repeats.

Other than that (other than get rid of Ties That Bind, I'm terrible on that song), this looks awesome, and I if they had an event in Texas (Quake-Con plz?) I would certainly bust my butt to get there, tournaments are SO MUCH FUN people.

Last edited by Deschain on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
Vertiggo  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deschain wrote:
If MLG officials want to incorporate "Rockfest" modes to make it more "interesting" (aka costumes and crap, but on a lesser level), I would try to accommodate them, but be very careful about the modes allowed. We don't need no stinkin' Battle Mode repeats.

Other than that, this looks awesome, and I if they had an event in Texas (Quake-Con plz?) I would certainly bust my butt to get there, tournaments are SO MUCH FUN people.

This would be straight up Pro Face Off if it happens, I'd make sure of it.

...and also, the first event this year IS in Dallas. Doubt we'd be able to get the idea approved that quickly... but you never know! The more support this idea gets, the better the chance it will happen!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Paradise
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea so much I can't even express it in words!!! REALLY hope this happens! There really aren't many things in life that are more fun than these events to begin with, but if they add GH too, I might as well buy my ticket asap . Let's show them how much we all support this!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE GH6 AT MLG MAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun idea

"You say it draws near, the tits will be clear" - The Way It Ends
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more enthused if it came to somewhere near Missouri, like St. Louis or Kansas City, but cheers for the rest of us!

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Vertiggo  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support so far everyone! Retweet this tweet if possible to get any twitter followers the link to this thread:

http://bit.ly/foHoiF

voidedalive2x wrote:
I'd be more enthused if it came to somewhere near Missouri, like St. Louis or Kansas City, but cheers for the rest of us!

The 2nd event is in Columbus, Ohio. That's about a 7 hour drive... it could happen!!
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertiggo wrote:
voidedalive2x wrote:

The 2nd event is in Columbus, Ohio. That's about a 7 hour drive... it could happen!!

I drove 8 hours to DC and back this past October. Most fun weekend I've had in well over a year. It was worth every second I drove, and I drove all by myself . Imagine the crazy antics you and a couple friends can have on a trip to an MLG event, then the event itself, and then the ride home after. Honestly, if you guys ever get a chance to make it to an event, DO IT!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that Guitar Hero should be featured at MLG events. With Guitar Hero featured as a title durring the MLG weekend is going to add a lot of great things to the events. Its going to bring in new type of players, talent, and potential sponsors.

Every year I attend the Chicago Auto Show and a local radio station sets up a Booth where people can step up and play guitar hero and the person with the Highest score wins free tickets to a show. Just being a spectator to a small scale event like this it is awesome! seeing it on a large scale stage would be even cooler!

I WOULD LOVE TO SPECTATE THIS AT AN EVENT!!!

Its going to add a section to the MLG events where its MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY. It will give people and famly members a chance to get away from some of the violent content in the games and add a place where people can go and have a good time enjoy some good music and gaming talent.
Draktyr  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interest level: High!
QuiteThePreston  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the money I would definitely attend every MLG event that had Guitar Hero. I think my head would explode with excitement! I vote YES!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLG > School
111110% approval

<--------------- ON RB2. YEAH I'M THAT AWESOME
http://www.youtube.com/user/lsapg09
http://www.twitch.tv/andpeegee
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: andpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: