Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
2011 USA Possible government shutdown/budget issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: 2011 USA Possible government shutdown/budget issue Reply with quote

So... we're two days away from a government shutdown. I really didn't think there would be one (I was 80-20 on this), but now its more like 40-60. I don't understand something.. they had forever to pass a budget. The democrats had control of everything, and they didn't get it done. And honestly, even though we have a split congress, they should still be able to pass a budget.

So uh.. I guess.. discuss.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I guess I'm gonna go with "What is going on here?".

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, the government can't agree on a new budget for the year, even though they've extended last year's budget for a while now. If they can't agree on a new budget by Friday, the government will shut down, and only the members of Congress can do anything(so they can get a new budget done). Last time it happened was in...95? I just know it was while Clinton was in office. It's pretty sad, but this is our government now; can't agree on a single fucking thing.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know shit is serious when Brian leaves a comment.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They try so hard for democracy (with every check & balance possible) to avoid having a dictatorship... that they end up with a government where no decisions can really be made.

Then again, I can't really say that I am surprised... because if we as American's can't agree... and we elect officials.. what chance is there that they will agree?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what happens when your congressmen have their heads too far up their asses to stop and attempt to cooperate.
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and when they are so bent on keeping their power they are afraid to step out of line or speak of for fear of losing the next election. I'm sorry, but if you do a good job... I'll vote for you. I don't need you to sugarcoat & bs things for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So uh... what happens if they can't agree on one by Friday? (i saw Brian's post, but is there more to it?)
Davers  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to read up on this more, a co-worker tried to give me a quick rundown of the situation earlier today but that really isn't enough to gauge an opinion. However, in response to FreeXBird, supposedly if they can't make a decision by Friday, they are going two whole days without government or something like that which will in turn save something like $40 billion dollars.

Again, I really need to look this up more (don't have cable to watch the news), so if anyone has a good article for me to read, please post.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
they are going two whole days without government or something like that which will in turn save something like $40 billion dollars.
If it saved that much, it'd probably just shut down for a few months, and BAM! 11 trillion dollar debt paid!
BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
More like this is a rare topic I actually know something about. >__>

Any government money can't be sent out(i.e., Social Security), and only the members of Congress, along with anyone that provides essential services(police, firefighters, medical teams, military, etc.), are allowed to continue their jobs. If it's non-essential, then it will be discontinued until a new budget is agreed upon. This is because since there's no new budget, there's no appropriated funds.

For those who don't know what the disagreement is, the Republicans want big budget cuts and less government spending, while the Democrats aren't agreeing to it. Unless one side caves in, the shutdown will end up happening.

EDIT: @ Davers: To my knowledge, the shutdown wouldn't be for 2 days, it'd be until the two sides agree on a budget, however long that takes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
Qarx  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
Davers wrote:
they are going two whole days without government or something like that which will in turn save something like $40 billion dollars.
If it saved that much, it'd probably just shut down for a few months, and BAM! 11 trillion dollar debt paid!

But this is nothing compared to the 15% or more you could be saving on car insurance by switching to Geico .

Ah, but seriously, I don't know to what extent "no government" would be. Does this mean that they can't do anything during such a period or what?

EDIT:

Ninja'd with an explanation. Nice.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Davers  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianBAM19 wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:

Any government money can't be sent out(i.e., Social Security), and only the members of Congress, along with anyone that provides essential services(police, firefighters, medical teams, military, etc.), are allowed to continue their jobs. If it's non-essential, then it will be discontinued until a new budget is agreed upon. This is because since there's no new budget, there's no appropriated funds.

For those who don't know what the disagreement is, the Republicans want big budget cuts and less government spending, while the Democrats aren't agreeing to it. Unless one side caves in, the shutdown will end up happening.

EDIT: @ Davers: To my knowledge, the shutdown wouldn't be for 2 days, it'd be until the two sides agree on a budget, however long that takes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The lady at work told me she heard two days, but it could very well be longer than that. But no SSI? Not too many people are going to be happy with that. I'll probably never hear the end of it from my grandmother now
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutdown will go on until they agree on a budget.

And no, the shutdown will not give us "40 billion dollars". Numbers are getting completely mixed up now.

40 billion dollars is the number the republicans want to cut, while the democrats want 33 billion. Its actually pointless they're arguing over this.. 7 billion dollars is nothing in terms of our budget.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianBAM19 wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:

Whoa whoa, let's say this budget stalemate goes through Monday, would I, as a student at a public, government funded school, not have to go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: