Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
When is drug use okay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: When is drug use okay? Reply with quote

This thread is not about drug legalization. Don't even bring it up.

I take a drug called citalopram. When taken once daily, it makes me a bit happier and reduces my risk of suicide. I also take a drug called lithium carbonate. Once daily, it has the same effects along with preventing me from falling of my rocker. This is "medical use" of a drug.

I have a friend who smokes weed at least once a day. She does it because she finds it fun. She's not addicted to the drug but chooses to use it daily as a hobby. This is "recreational use" of a drug.

Another friend of mine drinks alcohol every single day, most often towards the afternoon. He reports that without it he feels terrible. This is called "addiction." For the purposes of this thread, we will assume that he has no interest in the drug other than to curve withdrawal symptoms.

I suffer from chronic nausea. I drink ginger ale every morning to help keep symptoms down. However, occasionally I will use marijuana to divert the nausea while also enjoying its effects. This would be both medical and recreational.

Which of these usages are okay?
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recreational if you're not intending to harm anyone or anything with it, medical if it's needed.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third situation is the only one which I have an issue with. Using a substance to fight off withdrawal symptoms from said substance is a dark road to travel. It never ends well.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This thread is not about drug legalization. Don't even bring it up.

Considering this is the primary reason why drugs could ever be considered anything short of "okay", this is kind of a silly restriction on the discussion. However, out of respect, I will not bring it up beyond that little aside.

But to entertain the specific question, I think the purpose is to prioritize acceptable practice in terms of medicinal, recreational, psychological etc, and to separate drugs that are "illegal", or even with those that are considered Acceptable By The Federal Government, a wholly owned subsidiary of the pharmaceutical lobby.

This is why I consider the prescription drug of case 1 to be a bit dicey. You're basically being told what's good for you, and you're putting your will to live in the hands of a little bottle your doctor gives you. Find other avenues for these people that give them a sense of purpose - an exciting business endeavor, a sports league, a hobby, whatever. While I think people have the right to take drugs for whatever reason, I think there are better avenues to achieve the stated goal than through drugs.

Case 2 is totally cool by me. On those terms, I say no harm, no foul.

Case 3 is exactly what makes cigarettes so addictive. When a smoker suffers withdrawal, they feel nauseous and ready to puke. I don't condone continuing to feed that habit, but as long as that habit isn't affecting others, I don't see a problem.

Case 4, completely non-controversial. Same as case 2. People should have enough to bitch about without worrying what you do in your spare time.

Last edited by googleimage on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to respect the thread as well so I will not bring up legalization but all I can say to googleimage's first point is; ridiculous.

googleimage wrote:
This is why I consider case 1 to be total bullshit. You're basically being told what's good for you, and you're putting your will to live in the hands of a little bottle your doctor gives you. Find other avenues for these people that give them a sense of purpose - an exciting business endeavor, a sports league, a hobby, whatever. Not a fan.

This is absolutely false. Someone has cancer, let's push them out into the world of lacrosse or have them collect stamps, that'll surely help the pain of cancer that pulses through their body right? Or AIDS, not much can be helped there, but if there was medication are you saying that rather than GIVE them medicence to slow down the spread or ease the pain, you want to give them something nonmedical? Medicine in general? This is horrible advice to give to people (although the money you're saving the insurance companies must be a lot!)

googleimage wrote:
Case 3 is exactly what makes cigarettes so addictive. When a smoker suffers withdrawal, they feel nauseous and ready to puke. I don't condone continuing to feed that habit, but as long as that habit isn't affecting others, I don't see a problem.

There are ways to help cope with withdrawal. There are stuff like therapy, and medi-

oh

Quote:
Case 4, completely non-controversial. Same as case 2. People should have enough to bitch about without worrying what you do in your spare time.

I thought you opposed medicinal use, so why would you go with Case 4?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
This is why I consider case 1 to be total bullshit. You're basically being told what's good for you, and you're putting your will to live in the hands of a little bottle your doctor gives you. Find other avenues for these people that give them a sense of purpose - an exciting business endeavor, a sports league, a hobby, whatever. Not a fan.

googleimage wrote:

So you have no problem with people who take drugs recreationally but you have an issue with people who take drugs that save people's lives and keep people from possibly killing themselves.

I take a lot of offense to this.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nausea vs. suicide. They must be equal, of course.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
googleimage wrote:

googleimage wrote:

So you have no problem with people who take drugs recreationally but you have an issue with people who take drugs that save people's lives and keep people from possibly killing themselves.

I take a lot of offense to this.

Perhaps I need to clarify, because my initial version of my first post was written a bit hastily: when the stakes are "fun" and "recreation", then I don't have a problem at all. There's really no stake in the final outcome. But when the stakes are life and death, then yeah, I think the importance of considering alternate avenues increases dramatically. I'm not sure creating a life that's only worth living because of drugs is a super-duper option, at least as far as there's a dependency.

Last edited by googleimage on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
Actually, no I don't. I just don't think it's the "best" approach, either.

The best approach to someone dying of cancer isn't to make them play golf. The best approach to someone suicidal isn't a hobby.

googleimage wrote:
Nausea vs. suicide. They must be equal, of course.

There's literally no context here so I'm going to assume you're talking out of your mouth here.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
The best approach to someone dying of cancer isn't to make them play golf. The best approach to someone suicidal isn't a hobby.

[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
googleimage wrote:
Actually, no I don't. I just don't think it's the "best" approach, either.

I don't subscribe to the idea that you should just settle for the "easy answer" because the stakes are high and you don't want anything horrible to happen. I think you want to look for a solution that's sustainable, first and foremost. If you're creating a dependency on a drug, then you're not really treating the problem.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All four are "okay." As in, non-dangerous to others and not (assuming this is in a country when it's legal) "morally" wrong.

As for which ones I agree with? Well I'm in the same boat that case 3 is the "worst." But of course this is a textbook case of blame the sin, not the sinner. The nature of such substances is that they are so addictive beyond our control (I know of so many people who hate the taste of beer but still drink to get drunk for a multitude of reasons). Addictive drugs target the most primal part of your brain, so to blame someone who is truly addicted is just ridiculous - when the addiction is bad enough, trying to "quit" whatever it is might as well be in the same vein as trying to stop eating or sleeping or other basic functions. It's a tragic case, but again, unless we go deep into this hypothetical addiction, it's not explicitly hurting others or doing anything illegal.

The others are fine, although the first case worries me (not to the extent that it did googleimage) but that's just because it is assumed the suicidal/depressed person is only taking drugs to feel better and otherwise doing nothing. Medicine can do a lot to help, but depending ONLY on medicine and not trying to better one's life is pretty dumb too. My psychology professor always told us that if you keep doing what you're doing you'll keep getting what you're getting... so yes, you can take a drug that sends out all the right chemicals to make you happy, but once the drug wears off, if you haven't considered the part of your life and what made you so depressed in the first place, it's really just a band-aid fix. That's why people who just take a pill to solve their problems and never go to counseling or otherwise explore their problems are foolish to me.

And to counter TL, I don't think it's comparable to talk about the use of drugs to treat depression next to the use of drugs to treat physical pain, such as with cancer. I definitely support the use of drugs for either thing, though. I can say this having taken multiple anti-depressants in my life and while they worked temporarily, I never stayed happy long-term until I addressed the real problem. Which is what I imagine googleimage is trying to say, albeit a lot harsher.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were all the "medicinal" purposes prescribed by an actual doctor? This is the only thing that bothers me, as I've known too many people who decided to take medicine into their own hands and had bad results follow, even when it seemed like they knew what they were doing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I forbid legalization talk is because we've already had a thread on marijuana legalization. If you want to have a thread about drug legalization in general then make it

I like to think of my antidepressant and mood stabilizer as safety nets. It's difficult for me to get by and be happy as well as physically healthy, so I use the medication to keep me in my bounds. It is a little disheartening to know that I dependent on these medications to feel even the least bit normal, and that I am physically dependent on one of them. Therapeutic techniques never did me much good so I've put my trust in ever increasing doses of medications. As morbid as this sounds, I can appreciate my pills when I consider that the chances that I'd still be alive without them are slim.

Just BTW, even though I am speaking about the issue from a personal perspective, I will not take any criticisms personally and I will not be offended. I'm just not that kind of guy.

NavyCherub: For the purpose of this discussion, the first example will be directed by a doctor, and the last example will not necessarily be.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
NavyCherub: For the purpose of this discussion, the first example will be directed by a doctor, and the last example will not necessarily be.

In that case I approve of the first one (though when the usage comes to physical dependency I would definitely start looking at alternatives because that rarely ends well) but disapprove of the last one. I am also fine with the second one. The reason I am ok with one use of the marijuana and not the other is because in the one I disapprove of it is being used to avoid a problem rather than actually attempting to fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: