ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
R.E.M. Breaks Up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vampire-Jekyll  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: R.E.M. Breaks Up Reply with quote

I honestly thought this would never happen.

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

http://remhq.com/news_story.php?id=1446
Season 9 Standard Controller Champion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: FourItchyTasty
POKE-JJ  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite surprised too, but it seemed to be mutual more than anything. At least they had a good run.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a fan, I think it's good of them that they are able to put the band to rest on their own terms.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww man. This is the 2nd band on my list of "Bands I'd love to see play before I die" that have broken up before I got the chance. The first was Gorillaz.

Let this be a lesson to you folks. If a band you really like does a concert in your area and you can afford to go, by all means, do it. Even if the price seems high, you will regret it so much if they break up soon after

:'(

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Hailz said.

I mean, sure, they haven't actually made a really good album since Reveal, but they made some really good albums (Automatic For The People is still in my top half dozen ever). And I'm told they were pretty good live too. Damn.

(They were second place on my live list behind U2, who I can see going the exact same way shortly.)

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Vampire-Jekyll  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
The first was Gorillaz.

Umm... I'm confused. They just came out with an album recently and I've been a fan since the first album. At no point have I seen anything about a break up, unless you count Del leaving.
Season 9 Standard Controller Champion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: FourItchyTasty
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampire-Jekyll wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
The first was Gorillaz.

Umm... I'm confused. They just came out with an album recently and I've been a fan since the first album. At no point have I seen anything about a break up, unless you count Del leaving.

Well, it looks like we're both right. It WAS reported that they were breaking up, but now it appears they are just taking time apart to work on other projects. So there is a chance of return at least (but if it was due to a big argument and trouble for some time I can't see things ever being the same again, but I will cross my fingers anyway).

The album that just came out was created during their most recent tour with an iPad, IIRC. Not really the same as a real full-length album, so I don't really count it as for sure sign that they are going to stick around. But yeah, the point is I didn't see them in December and now I'm regretful.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Sixen  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No REM!?

It's the end of the world as we know it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SixenSH PSN Name: Sixen
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never listened to this band much, but yeah this is definitely the best way for any band to break up. 31 years is a long, long time to play together, so it's a hell of a run. With all the rabid fans I've seen though, I almost want to start listening to them now (although I partially don't since I would never get to see them play).

I know it's much easier said than done, but they really should do one last farewell tour. I know many band claim it (Kiss) and then still come back a few times, but these guys seem to have the honesty to actually mean it, and that way they could recap on their entire career.

Hailz is right though too. I can't think of any specific examples where a band I wanted to see has broken up before I wanted to see them (other than just being too young, which there was nothing I could do about), but every band has to disband at some point. That's why I'm making a point of seeing Judas Priest on their Epitaph Tour, for example. While they said it's not the end of the band, it will be their last ever world tour, and who knows if they'll hit my area on one of their smaller future tours. Plus, seeing ALL of their classics in one set? Can't pass that up.
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I saw Disturbed months before they went on Hiatus. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Anyway, to the OP, it's always sad when a band decides to call it quits, but the band never truly dies, so long as someones listening to the works they made .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: