Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The 2012 Political Race Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people have elected a GOP House, and a Democratic Senate and President. The message that should be received by both parties is to work together and compromise to deal with the fiscal cliff, immigration reform, etc.

I understand Dems might be frustrated by this, but if they don't like it, they need to turn the House in 2014. It's going to be two years of passing stuff that isn't ideal, or two more years of gridlock.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
I agree that people should pay for their own abortions and contraception, but I draw the line at calling a fetus the mother's body and not the unborn child's body. There is plenty of legal precedent for convicting people of the murder of unborn children, so it's not a leap to say that the notion that it's the mother's choice what to do to her own body (whether the fetus lives or dies) is questionable and perhaps even selfish. If a woman was raped, then by all means, that woman should be allowed to abort the pregnancy because it was not her choosing to engage in intercourse. If the pregnancy risks the life of the mother, she should be allowed to abort the child. When a non life-threatening pregnancy came from consensual sex, that makes it more of a morality issue, boiling down to whether the mother feels it is convenient to keep the baby she took part in creating. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, and if they can't care for the baby, at least put it up for adoption so that child at least has a chance to live.

This could lead to some pretty dicey situations if it did come into practice. What if a couple was just stupid and when the girl found out she was pregnant, she decided to claim rape so she could get an abortion? Who's going to believe whose story? The guy saying it was consensual or the girl who said it was rape? I'm sure this is a very cut and dry example, but it could be a possibility.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
raynebc  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
What if a couple was just stupid and when the girl found out she was pregnant, she decided to claim rape so she could get an abortion? Who's going to believe whose story? The guy saying it was consensual or the girl who said it was rape? I'm sure this is a very cut and dry example, but it could be a possibility.

I'm sure the claim of rape can be contested by the father by requiring that she submit to a test to determine the father if the father contests the claim. Then again, people will be stupid and irresponsible either way, but unborn people should have rights too. It's not like they're tumors to be dug out of a human body and disposed of.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on SH - I can't remember who, but I'd certainly credit them if I could - fairly recently put forth the point that "abortion is murder, but it's alright if you were raped" is a very odd claim. If you accept that an unborn child has a right to life, why is it permissible to terminate that life based on the fact that it is the result of a rape? Would that be equally permissible once the child has been born?
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
megallica  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
Someone on SH - I can't remember who, but I'd certainly credit them if I could - fairly recently put forth the point that "abortion is murder, but it's alright if you were raped" is a very odd claim. If you accept that an unborn child has a right to life, why is it permissible to terminate that life based on the fact that it is the result of a rape? Would that be equally permissible once the child has been born?

there's still a psychological aspect to the matter of cases of rape

post partum depression is pretty serious, and has driven many new mothers to leave their babies in dumpsters

if the mother is already in a damaged psychological state before birth, and she feels boxed into a corner, she may resort to less legal methods of abortion that are dangerous and could end up killing both the mother and the baby

if the mother dies, both die.

personally, i can't imagine any case concerning me, where i would want an abortion, unless it was to save the life of a girl i got pregnant, but i can't pretend that my views would be the best choice for everyone else

as much as it can seem selfish and practically criminal to use abortion as a method of birth control out of sheer convenience, it can be hard to draw a line where it absolutely shouldn't happen and where it absolutely should. and it could be even more difficult to police the issue if people lie about their reasons

raynebc wrote:
but unborn people should have rights too. It's not like they're tumors to be dug out of a human body and disposed of.

i absolutely agree that they should have rights

but when women were resorting to back alley abortions that could potentially kill the mother as well, something had to give

it's unfortunate, but this is an issue that doesn't really have a win-win solution. adoption is the closest thing to a compromise, and abortion is a win-lose. these are pretty much the only options available for couples that don't want their baby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
raynebc wrote:
but unborn people should have rights too. It's not like they're tumors to be dug out of a human body and disposed of.

i absolutely agree that they should have rights

but when women were resorting to back alley abortions that could potentially kill the mother as well, something had to give

This is not a minor point. Abortions will happen, whether or not they are legally allowed. Better to make them legal and safe.

But it's also good to have sex education and make birth control available, which would cut down on the number of abortions anyway.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:

I'm trying to maintain a balanced opinion on the matter, looking beyond the the justification or lack thereof for murder (I believe murder is horrible, but justified in certain cases such as self defense) and determining who is responsible for the child. A raped woman did not choose to have sex and get pregnant, she shouldn't be burdened against her will for something that wasn't her own doing. And yes, some abortions are worse than others (sex selected abortion especially).

bclare wrote:
This is not a minor point. Abortions will happen, whether or not they are legally allowed. Better to make them legal and safe.

But it's also good to have sex education and make birth control available, which would cut down on the number of abortions anyway.

Another reason against Planned Parenthood's abortions: They are inconsistent with following safety standards, and in several cases unlicensed and unqualified staff provide services to clients. My understanding is that their class of facility doesn't have to meet various medical guidelines. If they get taxpayer money, they should be held to the same standards as any hospital offering comparable services has to meet.

Free contraceptives are everywhere, and yet people are still constantly getting pregnant. Too many people aren't paying attention, are too lazy or are too stupid to practice safe sex. That shouldn't be a reason to endorse abortion, people need to change their behavior.
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I feel on abortions: I'm not a fan. If I were a woman, I would never get one unless it was from one of the aforementioned scenarios of life endangerment or rape. But I'm not a woman, and I can't make a decision about a woman's body because it's not mine. That's why I'm in favor of having access to abortion, with a specific restriction on, for lack of a better word, "elective" abortions after a certain point (somewhere between 20 and 24 weeks, or whenever the fetus could survive outside the womb [otherwise known as, in my opinion, when life begins]). Like others have mentioned, I'm also a proponent of increased access to birth control and sex education.

One other thing about this topic: What would our SH users think about something like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Finland

To compare, the abortion rate in Finland is 8.9 per 1000 women as of 2008, whereas the United States is at 19.1. http://m.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/06/geography-abortion/1711/

The Finnish system is an interesting concept, but I'm sure the idea of "free abortions" would cause most hard-line republicans to shit a brick or two.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bible supports fetuses being a person only after it is born btw. Like anything in the Bible, it is up to interpretation and translation. I take no credit for this, so I will instead link/quote from this blog, and the only reason I do is because people use religion as an excuse to ban abortion, without even so much as a second thought. If you oppose it for other reasons, fine whatever. Anyway:

Quote:
After God formed man in Genesis 2:7, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”. Although the man was fully formed by God in all respects, he was not a living being until after taking his first breath.

In Job 33:4, it states: “The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”

Again, to quote Ezekiel 37:5 & 6, “Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

In Exodus 21:22 it states that if a man causes a woman to have a miscarriage, he shall be fined; however, if the woman dies then he will be put to death. It should be apparent from this that the aborted fetus is not considered a living human being since the resulting punishment for the abortion is nothing more than a fine; it is not classified by the bible as a capital offense.

According to the bible, destroying a living fetus does not equate to killing a living human being even though the fetus has the potential of becoming a human being. One can not kill something that has not been born and taken a breath. This means that a stillborn would not be considered a human being either. Of course, every living sperm has the potential of becoming a human being although not one in a million will make it; the rest are aborted.

I personally believe that abortion is 100% a woman's choice. It has also made no sense, for me anyway, to oppose abortion except in certain cases. If you think it's murder, and/or a sin, why advocate it in certain exceptions?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
bclare wrote:

Another reason against Planned Parenthood's abortions: They are inconsistent with following safety standards, and in several cases unlicensed and unqualified staff provide services to clients. My understanding is that their class of facility doesn't have to meet various medical guidelines. If they get taxpayer money, they should be held to the same standards as any hospital offering comparable services has to meet.

Free contraceptives are everywhere, and yet people are still constantly getting pregnant. Too many people aren't paying attention, are too lazy or are too stupid to practice safe sex. That shouldn't be a reason to endorse abortion, people need to change their behavior.

Free contraceptives are everywhere? Where? And it's not just about throwing free condoms at people; sex ed is important.

Also, what's your source for saying that PP is unsafe or unlicensed? I tried to look up anything like that, but the only claims I could find were from semi-obvious crackpots.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pretty good recent collection of health violations:
http://familyfoundation.org/2012/09/breaking-news-fetal-remains-blood-found-in-virginia-abortion-center/
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abortion is a wedge issue and a base-motivating issue. That you guys have just spent a couple of pages debating it at the expense of all other issues shows how powerful it is.
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Abortion is a wedge issue and a base-motivating issue. That you guys have just spent a couple of pages debating it at the expense of all other issues shows how powerful it is.

True. It does show that it is an issue that will never come to an agreement on. Same with religious beliefs, the one true faith (I'm agnostic BTW), and peace vs war.

On the other hand, how 'bout the new states that legalized pot and gay marriage? Or Puerto Rico possibly becoming the 51st state?

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state. Not only for the historical significance, but I really just can't find a reason why they shouldn't. They're already a territory of the US, and something like 10,000 Puerto Ricans serve in our military. They voted on it and they want to join us, I don't see denying them to be a good move at all.

Plus to deny them statehood would look bad for the GOP as well, since they need to improve relations with Latino voters if they hope to get anywhere in 2014 and 2016. Also being Catholic they will probably tend to vote Republican as well, it would only help them. I guess we'll see.

Plus there's something psychological about it, people will want to visit there once they become a state (I know I would, it's way closer than Hawaii). If increased tourism means more tax dollars for our government and a better quality of life for them, it seems like a win-win. I think it could help out everyone, but I'm always open to discussion.

If this happened flag companies everywhere would rejoice! And we'd need a new Animaniacs song! I'm partial to a simple 9/8/9/8/9/8 star flag, but I kinda like this one too strangely enough.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

Plus there's something psychological about it, people will want to vacation there once they become a state

I'm... not sure what this means. Are you saying you wouldn't vacation there purely because it's not a state?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: