ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
OK, so how do you guys want your GenChat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you guys want your Rant thread? I've come up with some good ideas for rules:

Hobo111 when he was really bored wrote:
1. You don’t rant about Rant Thread.
2. You don’t rant about Rant Thread.
3. Only one guy to a post.
4. As many goddamn rants as you want.
5. They rant using keyboards.
6. The rants go on as long as they have to.
7. If this is your first post at Rant Thread, you have to rant.
8. The rant thread isn't for flaming people. It isn't for rants that are thinly disguised attacks on other people, like "I hate people who have this opinion." three posts down from someone who posted that opinion. No direct attacks, no passive aggressive attacks, no flaming. It just leads to trouble. Thank you for understanding.
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my GenChat medium rare.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
So how do you guys want your Rant thread? I've come up with some good ideas for rules:

Hobo111 when he was really bored wrote:
1. You don’t rant about Rant Thread.
2. You don’t rant about Rant Thread.
3. Only one guy to a post.
4. As many goddamn rants as you want.
5. They rant using keyboards.
6. The rants go on as long as they have to.
7. If this is your first post at Rant Thread, you have to rant.
8. The rant thread isn't for flaming people. It isn't for rants that are thinly disguised attacks on other people, like "I hate people who have this opinion." three posts down from someone who posted that opinion. No direct attacks, no passive aggressive attacks, no flaming. It just leads to trouble. Thank you for understanding.

No. Right, I just want to remind you of the thread rules:

Rule One: No Poofters!
Rule Two: No member of the forum is to maltreat the newbies in any way at all -- if there's anybody watching.
Rule Three: No Poofters!!
Rule Four: Now this time, I don't want to catch anybody not ranting.
Rule Five: No Poofters!
Rule Six: There is NO ... Rule Six.
Rule Seven: No Poofters!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I'm pretty sure Pieman was joking when he wrote this

Oh sweet Jesus I am so glad someone here has a working sarcasm detector.

blingdomepiece wrote:
It's like writing a program with one function. You can do it, but it's hell to deal with later.

Or writing an entire Perl script all on one line.

GuitarHailz wrote:
People still posting in the Rant thread either really cared about the site or just loved trolling it.

Or both.

GuitarHailz wrote:
I personally would like the idea of The Rant Thread to stay around, if only for the catch-all for things too minor to really deserve their own topic.

Same. A little like the sober Drunk Thread in a way. (Omg next year I can totally post in the drunk thread, besides that one time I posted but I wasn't actually drunk.)

SDoner8790 wrote:
I like my GenChat medium rare.

STEAK BRO

bjwdestroyer wrote:
Like that'll ever happen.

Watch your back.

~

Also, I'm totally on board with the whole rip out topics from the Rant Thread thing. Mods have done it before but really infrequently. I think if a topic seems like it could stand on its own at the mods' discretion it should definitely be yanked. Not to say that people should rely on mod yanking and should try to make original threads, but it's a tool we can use. I really like the Rant Thread by the way. It's kind of epic. 400 pages and 6000 posts. A little slice of SH history in a way. But it is kind of a mess, too.

Also, bdp's Seinfeld analogy made me chuckle.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
toymachine  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like turtles
youhas  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I failed to post here yet? Damn, am I getting slow in my old age. Anyway, perusing the thread and co-opting ideas at random:

GuitarHailz wrote:
I want more people to post individual topics, and I think the success of this approach comes completely from the community's reaction to it and the mod's silent removal of obvious BS. If someone posts a new thread and are greeted with snarky, sarcastic remarks, trolling, meme pics, complaints that the thread is bad or stupid, etc, nobody is going to want to post anymore.

Agreed: this, with so much emphasis. This is the number one aspect of General Chat that intermittently frustrates me. It's the reason I occasionally don't post original topics for months at a time, or why I'll go on "hey, General Chat is in moron soup mode again!" self-imposed sabbaticals. I like this place, and I like being a productive community member, and I want to help... but during those times when it feels like the inmates are running the asylum, trying feels futile. "Please help me avoid futility!" would be the number-one-with-a-bullet request on my personal wishlist.

ready2rock wrote:
On locking topics: I think the snarky comment did its job at a time where there were a lot more people around with a lot less experience with the forum. Now that people know what is expected, silent removal is probably sufficient most of the time.

Yeah, that sounds about right. It was a fun idea that ran its course, but is probably less productive in the more modern era.

bjwdestroyer wrote:
Given the declining interest in ScoreHero, the last thing we need is to divide General Chat (alternatively, given the declining interest in ScoreHero, the last thing we need is an entirely new subforum).

Yeah, that sounds about right, too. I know I've maintained a domain and run forums before; sticking to the smallest possible roster of sub-forums always seemed like a choice idea. "One sub-forum with a slurry of threads" seemed to trump "so many sub-forums populated by dying thread-counts" in every way, in my opinion.

GuitarHailz wrote:
I personally would like the idea of The Rant Thread to stay around, if only for the catch-all for things too minor to really deserve their own topic. (I mean, nobody would want me to make a new thread every time I want to say "fuck my boss!" because then there would be nothing else in GenChat )

Yeah, that sounds about right, three. There's definitely a middle zone between "this is too stupid for me to post for anyone" and "this is too lame for me to dedicate a thread to it" that The Rant Thread is perfect for - like the world's slowest semi-dedicated IRC channel. I like hearing about people's problems, and the internal struggles within their lives, and the personal hurdles they're overcoming. It makes this feel more like a community, if nothing else. I know there's a ton of random stuff I've dumped into the The Rant Thread - e.g., the nature of my divorce - where I would've felt like a totally decadent asshole if I railed about it elsewhere in a dedicated thread or something. So I'm glad it exists.

(That said: if you have the wherewithal and fortitude to bust out spontaneous Rant Thread topics into their own topics? Omigod, please: do that. I feel terrible when some super-relevant topic for discussion gets buried under three feet of random banter and latecomers either don't see it or decide the topic should be left to rot on the vine.)

And on a final note: I really do appreciate y'all asking for user input rather than just passing down a set of rules from on high and hoping for the best. I think that speaks measures about the quality of the site and the respect for its users, and I'm super-pleased to see this meta-site-discussion go down.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
sukergod  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so how do you guys want your GenChat? Reply with quote

f4phantom2500 wrote:
blingdomepiece wrote:
Some of the same people who say the quality of mods have gone down aren't exactly Shakespearean in their own posting.

funny, i have had (what i would rationally consider) a few ridiculous dealings with mods on this site in the past, but not for the last couple of years. i would say the quality of mods has gone up, if anything.

I would have to agree as well simply because with more and more experienced members we have less e-drama (with exceptions obviously) and with less active staff, we know what is acceptable to which mods are going to be looking over the forum. Things are more lenient because the members are more sensible. Goes hand in hand.

In saying this, I think people say that the standard has gone down simply because of how much of the staff are still around everyday. I still think it's a blemish on the site when we have so many mods yet only 2 or 3 are always around. Until the mods that are no longer around are put into a different category (retired or something) people will think it's poor. I mean that people will have a tougher time following what a mod that hasn’t been around for 2 years has to say over bling or sing has to say. I know that isn't right but it's still the reality of it. Hell I still follow what hailz has to say until I remember she stepped down. It's just nice to know that the staff are committed to the site and its members just as much as the members are. Having tan aura of where a good chunk of the staff is no longer here can create a negative atmosphere. I'm not saying I think its right (far from it) but it can be true. Granted I do believe that bling and sing are great mods so keep that up

More on topic, I think the rant thread is fine as long as it's used the way it was intended. Over the past while a lot of people here got the impression that unless it's in the rant thread nobody reads it. The rant thread should have its own guidelines for what should be in it and leave the rest to other threads. Unless it's conservation worthy, then post in the rant thread. A lot of you are right; it is essentially a +1 thread but like most has said who really cares about post count anymore. If JC got rid of that do you think anyone would really care? Post count was something back in pre 2010 so I don't think that’s a big deal anymore. Any ways, telling us about how your mom sucks cause she won't let you have the car tonight for your date, yeah that’s rant worthy but if you are discussing say an earthquake that took place in Chile, then make a new post.

Whatever may be, its nice to see everyone working together trying to find a solution. Brings me back to watching endless episodes of "The Littlest Hobo"

tl/dr: Keep the rant thread, just have guidelines to what should go in it and what is worthy of its own post and section.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. It's really helpful to understand where you guys are coming from. I think there's general agreement there should be a rant thread; I'd prefer starting with a new one. There's also a number of suggestions about how it should be moderated that I think make a lot of sense.

I think it's important to have good non-rant topics too, so if a tighter approach from us in those topics would help keep them on track then we can do that. So maybe it would be more lenient in the rant thread (barring personal attacks and things like that) and more by-the-book outside. I am personally not for the "attempted witty comment + lock" thing myself... not saying I haven't done it at some point because I probably have, but I prefer to sacrifice the promise of my stand-up career in return for being clear about what I'm doing and why.

About the quote tunnel issue, for me it's not really about post count. I don't really care if someone is a Freebird or a Guitar God. This might have mattered at some point to some people but I am indifferent to someone's forum rank (if anything, I'd hope a higher rank would mean you are more solid as a poster). It's more about how big the thread gets to manage, and that the four-pages-of-+1 usually correlates with another violation of rules (often starts off as a flame of someone that everyone piles onto).

One thing I am fairly sensitive to here is the idea of cliques, bullying, and ostracization. I don't like to see ten people piling on one person, just because that one person might be a bit socially clueless, or trying too hard to fit in, or whatever. I think we've all seen enough of bullying and where it can lead to have any of it go on here. Just think of them as an annoying younger sibling, vent about them in IRC if you have to, and move on. You don't lose anything by letting someone stand when you could have smacked them down. I kind of think you gain something by showing restraint. So, uh, kumbaya.

That's enough out of me. If someone wants to start the new thread I'm cool with it. If anyone else has thoughts on this topic, I'm fine with it being open a bit longer and will probably lock it if we just run out of things to say or start circling over the same ground. But I think it's good for you guys to have a role in the direction of the forum because when it's going well, it's because of you.
sukergod  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
That's enough out of me. If someone wants to start the new thread I'm cool with it. If anyone else has thoughts on this topic, I'm fine with it being open a bit longer and will probably lock it if we just run out of things to say or start circling over the same ground. But I think it's good for you guys to have a role in the direction of the forum because when it's going well, it's because of you.

My suggestion would be that either you or sing start the thread up (or hobo since he created it in the first place), leave it stickied and have some barebones rules in the OP.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so how do you guys want your GenChat? Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
I think people say that the standard has gone down simply because of how much of the staff are still around everyday. I still think it's a blemish on the site when we have so many mods yet only 2 or 3 are always around. Until the mods that are no longer around are put into a different category (retired or something) people will think it's poor. I mean that people will have a tougher time following what a mod that hasn’t been around for 2 years has to say over bling or singE has to say. I know that isn't right but it's still the reality of it. Hell I still follow what hailz has to say until I remember she stepped down. It's just nice to know that the staff are committed to the site and its members just as much as the members are. Having tan aura of where a good chunk of the staff is no longer here can create a negative atmosphere. I'm not saying I think its right (far from it) but it can be true. Granted I do believe that bling and sing are great mods so keep that up
Well thanks for saying that about me.

There are quite a few staff that are still staff but not recently active..some like kristen are still "active" but are just busy right now but are still with us, others are basically "retired" but still pop in once in a while..but anyone who falls into that retired category falls there for a reason, I havent seen anyone come back from years of inactivity to start telling people what to do.

There are a couple staff members that are definitely active that you may just not see. Ouzo is always around, but you probably wouldn't know it unless you got banned psx and socrstopr are here just about every day too, but stick mostly to IRC.

I cant speak for JC but I know that some staff members who cant be here every day anymore still pop in once in a while to handle reports and stuff, and really, even if theyre not here every day that doesn't change who they are. They were still made staff for a reason, they're all good people, so an extra set of eyes is still a good thing. Any policy decisions are ultimately up to JC anyway regardless of who is posting it.
sukergod  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so how do you guys want your GenChat? Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
sukergod wrote:
I think people say that the standard has gone down simply because of how much of the staff are still around everyday. I still think it's a blemish on the site when we have so many mods yet only 2 or 3 are always around. Until the mods that are no longer around are put into a different category (retired or something) people will think it's poor. I mean that people will have a tougher time following what a mod that hasn’t been around for 2 years has to say over bling or singE has to say. I know that isn't right but it's still the reality of it. Hell I still follow what hailz has to say until I remember she stepped down. It's just nice to know that the staff are committed to the site and its members just as much as the members are. Having tan aura of where a good chunk of the staff is no longer here can create a negative atmosphere. I'm not saying I think its right (far from it) but it can be true. Granted I do believe that bling and sing are great mods so keep that up
Well thanks for saying that about me.

There are quite a few staff that are still staff but not recently active..some like kristen are still "active" but are just busy right now but are still with us, others are basically "retired" but still pop in once in a while..but anyone who falls into that retired category falls there for a reason, I havent seen anyone come back from years of inactivity to start telling people what to do.

There are a couple staff members that are definitely active that you may just not see. Ouzo is always around, but you probably wouldn't know it unless you got banned psx and socrstopr are here just about every day too, but stick mostly to IRC.

I cant speak for JC but I know that some staff members who cant be here every day anymore still pop in once in a while to handle reports and stuff, and really, even if theyre not here every day that doesn't change who they are. They were still made staff for a reason, they're all good people, so an extra set of eyes is still a good thing. Any policy decisions are ultimately up to JC anyway regardless of who is posting it.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. I know there are a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that us normal members don't know about, I'm talking 100% solely on the perception of what "others" might believe. If Mod A hasnt posted in 3 years, is he really around. Again i have no problem with how things are run except I would love a section for active and unactive staff just to have a division there, but thats solely my wish as I am picky like that

Anyways, I think this thread has been successful.

Yey Scorehero "waves flag with black sg on it"
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
who really cares about post count anymore

I do, I'm trying to beat inv4der's post count!
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I intended to put this in my earlier post, but a big thanks to the active mods. I know it's a job in which you are very often only seen if you need to be the "bad guy," but I really appreciate the work you do. It is rare that I catch some spam or bad post before a mod does, and even when I do, it's gone soon after that. You are a big part of what keeps this community as good as it continues to be.

I also want to thank you for this thread. I like the fact that you not only explained your perspective and why you change and delete what you do, but took our input into account as important as well. It's also good to hear that more of the mods are still around than we think. I saw a thread last night where Phr34k posted, and that was good to know that he still lurks around here among others, even if we don't see them as much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promote a member to the brand new position: Rant Thread Moderator. All of our problems will be solved.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
youhas  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I like that idea, but it may not be easily caught by moderators. I would support the use of the report button for this reason. Just report one of the posts with a comment like "Topic going on, should be split" or something would be fine.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I feel the need to ask: does the report button work as expected for everyone else? I think the last umpteen times I tried to use it, I got some staid "the server has rejected your request" browser message. As I recall, the last time I tried anything that I thought might work - delete your cookies! log out and back in! wave a dead chicken over your laptop while you do it! - it had no effect. But I'm willing to give things another try if anyone has a strategy to offer.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: