ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Smoking and Anti Smoking Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
krisdaschwab912 wrote:
I hate assholes who smoke in large public spaces, such as a concert. Pisses me the fuck off. Can't these people put down their death sticks for an hour?

I'll agree with the "large public places" part, but concerts are kind of a given (at least outdoor shows). It's like going to a frat party and hoping people won't be drinking, they just go hand-in-hand. If you go to concerts hoping not to deal with smokers, you're gonna have a bad time. As for my own personal annoyance, I hate it more when people smoke weed at concerts excessively. I think it's just the smell or something, I can get used to cigarettes, but with weed I feel like I'm gonna be sick when EVERYONE is doing it. I expect it each time, but that doesn't make it any more fun for the rest of us, that's for sure...

can you smoke at an indoor/outdoor football, baseball or basketball stadium/arena ? if no, why is it different with concerts ? about every big concerts are in there. shouldnt they just get kicked out after a few warning ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
For that matter, has anyone here successfully quit? I heard the patch doesn't really do much, as you don't get that oral fixation. I'm pretty sure my mom just quit cold turkey, so I can't say what the best method of quitting is.

Legend has it that my Grampa used to smoke like a horse, but as soon as news came out that they were bad for you, quit cold turkey. I wasn't alive at the time, so I don't know how easy it was for him. He's turning 85 this year and isn't doing too bad. The only smoking related problems I think was he had some throat problems/surgery maybe 15 years back so he can't talk too loudly or much.

My brother used to smoke from high school age to, maybe 2-3 years after. I know he tried using e-cigs, not sure how much they specifically helped, but him and his girlfriend quit and have been off them for at least 3 years (It was definitely before she got pregnant, and the kid is almost a year and a half now)

My friend in college now is 27 and has been smoking for a long time, keeps trying to quit, and does pretty well until he either drinks or gets stressed out. I don't believe he's tried anything other than (normal) gum.

So, it seems like it comes down to how badly you want to quit as well as why you smoke in the first place. Obviously, habitual and social smoking would be easier to quit than direct stress relief smoking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyGrey wrote:
So, it seems like it comes down to how badly you want to quit as well as why you smoke in the first place. Obviously, habitual and social smoking would be easier to quit than direct stress relief smoking.
From what I've seen, it's the exact opposite. My uncle's quitting right now (he figured it might be an idea after he got taken into hospital with near pneumonia) and he's said the toughest part to ditch is the habit cigarettes; the one when he first wakes up, the one after dinner, the one with his cup of tea, etc. (That said, he does seem to be winning - he had e-cigs for a while and then just went cold. Now it's just the other three smokers in the house who need to quit.)

Stress relievers seem to either have an easier job of displacing stress relief into other things, or they were lying and it was never the act and actuality of smoking that helped (so you've had an argument with someone at work and you're going outside for a cigarette to calm yourself down? Nothing to do with the fact that you've just gone away from the situation for a couple of minutes, not at all...).

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: You win.
Threw away my cigs and my lighter. I hadn't had one in at least 2 weeks and I had one today. I feel so ill. I feel worse than when I had my first one.

I honestly feel utterly nauseous.

Congrats guys, you made a quitter out of me.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
sukergod  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
Threw away my cigs and my lighter. I hadn't had one in at least 2 weeks and I had one today. I feel so ill. I feel worse than when I had my first one.

Great Job Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
JOE2210 wrote:

Great Job Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, really. It's really not easy to quit, and you should be proud of yourself.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratz man, it's not easy task and you did it. you'll probably see some healthy advantage in the long run. im proud of you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Good thing this thread kinda helped you =P
iDylan1357  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hookah anyone?
CoolMotion  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is, if people know that cigarettes are bad for you, and that they are very addictive, then why even start in the first place?
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolMotion wrote:
My question is, if people know that cigarettes are bad for you, and that they are very addictive, then why even start in the first place?

For some it's a social thing, others start it to "give it a try" or give in to peer pressure (which somewhat fits into the social idea).

As for older people, they had no clue it was bad for your health. Back then, if you didn't smoke you were the weird one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolMotion wrote:

Today, people sometimes smoke cigar when they've been drinking. Cigars are not really addictive, but it's an easy opening for cigarettes. Someday, these people find themselves cigar-less, and accept a cigarette under the influence of alcohol. Then another one. And again.

A few of my friends started to smoke this way, luckily they mostly stopped less than a year after the habit kicked in. The pressure to quit is so much stronger nowaday...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for everyone. How is smoking in public legal but drinking alcohol isn't? A person smoking affects everyone within (at least) a 10 foot radius, but a person sitting down or walking down the street sipping a beer isn't affecting anyone else. Same with at the beach. Smoking is perfectly legal, but no alcohol is allowed. I'm not talking about a person getting shitfaced as they drink 10+ beers while acting violent, just drinking a beer while outside the home. Never really understood this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
Question for everyone. How is smoking in public legal but drinking alcohol isn't? A person smoking affects everyone within (at least) a 10 foot radius, but a person sitting down or walking down the street sipping a beer isn't affecting anyone else. Same with at the beach. Smoking is perfectly legal, but no alcohol is allowed. I'm not talking about a person getting shitfaced as they drink 10+ beers while acting violent, just drinking a beer while outside the home. Never really understood this.

The only logical answer I can think of is that the guy drinking in public might offer the beer/vodka/whatever to someone underage. Then again, the same can be said for cigs.
youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:

Brainstorming random ideas, which are of varying levels of cynicism and plausibility:

- Some areas have puritanical backgrounds, where drinking was seen as immoral and wrong, and people were to be shamed for doing so; they created actual on-the-books laws to prevent folks from doing so. On some level, the community wants to preserve this sense of shaming as one of their core values, so arresting folks for any public consumption is valid in their eyes.

- In some areas, public alcohol consumption is simply a "violation" rather than any sort of misdeameanor-grade crime. It doesn't show up in your criminal record or anything; you just have to pay the fine, like it was a parking ticket or something. It gives the city an opportunity to raise extra funds with minimal effort by hunting down the occasional beach party and writing some citations.

- It's a "nip it in the bud" approach to handling things: sure, folks who drink in public may just be doing so socially... but a big chunk of them have grander and more drunken ambitions. Same way that a group of tough-looking heavily-tattooed teens who own muscle cars may just be a bad-ass knitting club... but a chunk of them are gang members and other idiot ne'er-do-wells spoiling for trouble. You have "loitering" laws to give a ticky-tacky reason to break up the latter; you have "public consumption" laws to give an equally mealy-mouthed reason to break up the former.

- In many people's eyes, "consuming any alcoholic beverage in public = you are a booze-crazy wino", no matter how not rooted in fact that might be. This means that public alcohol consumers make citizens feel unsafe, drive down local property values, and so on. Best to have a law on the books to eliminate the element causing those unsavory responses.

- It's a tactic used to futher harass the homeless. If you'd like to enjoy the occasional ice cold beer but have no home to enjoy it in, too bad for: either get yourself to a shelter (where you will be out-of-sight, out-of-mind) or move along to some other municipality where we won't have to deal with you anymore.

That's a core dump of the first five semi-non-idiotic ideas that sprung to mind. Creating more concepts along these general lines will be left as an example to the reader.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: