Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Emulator?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyanCrayon86948  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Emulator? Reply with quote

I've had a few people ask whether you can submit emulator scores or not. I told them no, but I wanted to know what the official stance was.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: CyanCrayon86948

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting thing that I've never considered until this came up. I would think no partially because there's no way to know without video if someone slowed down the track as they played and also emulation for PS2 and up isn't the best accuracy wise. The modded question doesn't really come into play imo since GH3PC has had modding for a while as well as being able to make customs in general since GH2.

thewinnerisgeeg: like feed the dogs and eat minipockets and ice cream
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: a2003041 PSN Name: a2003041
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no and for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do FGFC's still count if they're done on emulator?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're going by the logic train established then no because any emualtor scores wouldn't count.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: a2003041 PSN Name: a2003041
iAMhorribl3  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured also!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, they should be counted for full series as long as playing in the emulator doesn't change the engine (ex. rb3 on rpsc3 being different to real hardware) and there's sufficient enough proof that it was run at full speed.
Harder to moderate, sure, but I feel people shouldn't be denied the title just because they don't own 17-22 year old hardware.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: aRealMeow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thardwardy wrote:
The way I see it, they should be counted for full series as long as playing in the emulator doesn't change the engine (ex. rb3 on rpsc3 being different to real hardware) and there's sufficient enough proof that it was run at full speed.
Harder to moderate, sure, but I feel people shouldn't be denied the title just because they don't own 17-22 year old hardware.

You already need decade old plus hardware to play the games anyways because of the controllers. Plus you can always get PS2s for cheap and they have every game except WoR.

LocalH  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like there needs to be an overhaul of the rules for what is considered "legitimate", anyway. The biggest consideration in whether a run should be legit falls into two factors:

1) Is the game running at the original framerate?
2) Is the core engine unchanged? Would the same input always result in the same score?

I think we should allow cosmetic or quality-of-life mods to games as still "counting" competitively. For example, out of all of the mods we added to Guitar Hero II Deluxe, there's only one I can actually think of that would be a total non-starter - the strum limit removal. Everything else we did (that didn't involve chart bugfixes or changes) was a pure quality-of-life improvement (adjustable hyperspeed, focus mode, note streak popups, support for displaying song author, note streak counter, fixed the hopo restart bug) or is clearly called out when in use (for example, song speed modifier that only allows speedups in quickplay, with an appropriately proportional note window - this only adds challenge, as the note window gets tighter as the speed increases, GH3 speedmod style).

If a version of GH2DX were made *without* the strum limit fix, and with confirmed original charts (we could, in fact, with some limitations in the song list presentation, also include the 360 exclusive songs, and the 360 versions of PS2 charts where there are differences), I'd actually push for it to count the same as the vanilla game in terms of legitimacy. There exists precedent in other competitive scenes where specific modified ROMs are either allowed, or enforced, due to benefits that it provides.

80s could work the same. A version could be provided with both Wrathchild versions, the same QoL improvements from GH2DX, and be the "definitive" competitive version. We could even put both on the same disc and have a one stop shop for GH2/80s gameplay.

Nobody seems to care about distributing modified ISOs of old games like this anyway. We don't really fuck with anything newer than RB3 anyway in terms of mods, and our RB mods are all distributed as patches to the base game. GH2 is more practical to distribute a mod as a full ISO, though - GH2 never received an update with a patch ARK on 360, and GH2 PS2 never had that mechanism to begin with.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not getting top 10 scores on competitive games/difficulties, or feel like you're getting things easier than you should, then I don't think it should really be any problem. At least, from a perspective from someone who has mainly used SH as a nice permanent place to keep track of stuff (in the past couple years anyway). If you aren't intentionally using it to make the chart/gameplay itself easier, then no harm done.
In a case you get any contentious big accomplishment or high score, being honest in the comment would be a good idea, and or possibly just documenting the accomplishment in a YouTube vid instead.

To tag on what LocalH was saying, since DLC is no longer available for purchase, and not everyone can get into modified consoles, if it's the only way for people to access the DLC/games, I don't see what the big deal is.
Also, stuff like modified ISOs with different hyperspeed are a bit iffy, but again as long as you're clear about any modifications/possible discrepancies, a good amount of people won't care.
(I'm still curious how much HS in GH1 would help me. Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is the line is so fine between all of this, that it'd be near impossible to verify or authenticate such thing. I believe it's more of a keep it simple rule than anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are imperfect methods that could help verify runs as being on such a "legitimate" build. We have decent control over UI placement nowadays, we could have some sort of in-game display of some kinda to help determine that it is indeed our build. We can't, unfortunately, prevent people from editing the dta scripts (but few people have advanced dta scripting knowledge at this point). Other competitive scenes have ways to make similar things work, depending on what's relevant to their game.

It also goes without saying that mods are perfectly acceptable to use for practice. Countless games have practice-focused modded versions that the top players use all the time.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
problem is the line is so fine between all of this, that it'd be near impossible to verify or authenticate such thing. I believe it's more of a keep it simple rule than anything.

That's a good point.

Yeah realistically, by now, if you're committed enough to start using this site 12+ years past its prime, then authenticity isn't really asking too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I mean, if you're dumb enough to cheat the game or use anything other than the original version of the game and post score that you clearly know is frowned upon, shame on you. also, don't claim it's been done legit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not for submitting scores to the site, then emulators to me seem perfectly fine. I don't see the big deal about it. I trust any high-level player, heck, any decently-proven player, to be honest and legitimate about a GH/RB emulator if they're going for FGFCs. If you're submitting scores to this site though, emulators are 100% a no-go.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: