ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
MIDItar Hero (use GH/RB controllers as MIDI instruments!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianSpud33  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: MIDItar Hero (use GH/RB controllers as MIDI instruments!) Reply with quote

The official MIDItar Hero website is now up!
http://miditarhero.com

MIDItar Hero is a program designed to let you use your Guitar Hero or Rock Band controller (Strat, Xplorer, or Les Paul) as a MIDI controller. You can use MIDItar Hero to control synthesized sounds within an application that uses MIDI, such as GarageBand or Reason, or through an external device (synthesizer, keyboard, drum machine, etc.) if you have a MIDI interface hooked up to your computer.

Features:
- Runs under Windows XP/Vista, Mac OS X
- Supports all platform/controller combinations (EXCEPT Wii GH instruments)
- Intended for use with applications that support software instrument playback through MIDI input (GarageBand, FL Studio, Reason, Pro Tools, Adobe Audition, Cakewalk Sonar, etc.)
- Can also be used with external MIDI devices (keyboards, drum machines, synthesizers, etc.)
- Normal Mode allows two-and-a-half octave pitch range with default binary button layout, custom fret configurations also available
- Easy Mode lets you select a key and scale to play power, major, minor, diminished, and 7th chords
- Drum Mode for Rock Band and Guitar Hero drum sets
- Sample Mode allows you to play and manipulate .wav and .aiff audio files
- Solo frets on RB Strat allow you to play without strumming (no strum playing can be toggled on other guitars as well)
- Whammy bar works using MIDI pitchbend

To get started using MIDItar Hero, you will need the following:

- Any Digital Audio Workstation (GarageBand, FL Studio, Reason, Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton Live, Cakewalk Sonar, Mixcraft, Darkwave Studio, Adobe Audition) - This provides your MIDI guitar/drum sounds. If you don't have access to any of these, you're stuck with your computer's default piano sound.
- Max/MSP Runtime - just the Runtime, not the full program. It's free.

Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 users:
- LoopBe1 - this lets you route MIDI between MIDItar Hero and your Digital Audio Workstation. OS X has this functionality built-in.

OS X users:
- Tattiebogle Xbox 360 Driver - for Xbox 360 controllers.
- Tattiebogle PS3 Driver - for PS3 controllers.

Have a wireless Xbox 360 controller?
- Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver - you'll need to buy this.

Once you have all of the above installed, download MIDItar Hero.

MIDItar Hero is free to use, but if you enjoy using it please consider making a small donation to support further development - even if it's just a buck or two, that's totally awesome. You can also help out by posting about MIDItar Hero on your blog or website, or by making a YouTube video showing the program in action.

Videos:
MIDItar Hero - Guitar Demonstration - Normal Mode
Using MIDItar Hero with a Digital Audio Workstation
Through The Fire and Flames on MIDItar Hero
MIDItar Hero - Drum Mode with 2 Rock Band Controllers
MIDItar Hero - Drum Mode Demonstration (please read video info!)

RIFFS:
Rock You Like A Hurricane (credit: Wello)
Normal Mode - default

Enter Sandman
Normal Mode - default
Intro:
Main Riff: 3x, then

My Sharona
Normal Mode - default

Smoke on the Water (credit: kdb424)
Normal Mode - default

Iron Man (credit: 4512jth)
Normal Mode - default

Last edited by BrianSpud33 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 106 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: westJB
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if it's any good, i set up the program to allow me to play real guitar-sh sounds with x-plorer...
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: g3arsofwar0wns PSN Name: sacredring
BrianSpud33  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what you'll be able to do. Right now, it'll just play the default General MIDI sound on your computer, which is more than likely a grand piano. Soon enough, though, you'll be able to use it in conjunction with other things to control whatever sound you want.

Bump for v0.31.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this sounds really interesting. But I really don't understand what it's supposed to do, if you could fill me in that would be great. I was also wondering if you could maybe post a screenshot of the program in action.
and I will be trying it out as soon as possible.
Good Job BrianSpud33
BrianSpud33  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a few screenshots.

If you're still confused as to what the program does, it basically lets you plug in your Strat or Xplorer to your computer and play sounds with it. What buttons play what notes is up to you, and can be changed within the program. You can also make 4 different sets of notes that you choose and switch between them with the switch on the Strat, or in the program if you're using the Xplorer. Right now, it just makes piano sounds, but it's still cool nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSpud33 wrote:
I posted a few screenshots.

If you're still confused as to what the program does, it basically lets you plug in your Strat or Xplorer to your computer and play sounds with it. What buttons play what notes is up to you, and can be changed within the program. You can also make 4 different sets of notes that you choose and switch between them with the switch on the Strat, or in the program if you're using the Xplorer. Right now, it just makes piano sounds, but it's still cool nonetheless.

holy crap, i think i understand. You can plug in your guitar from, rockband let's say, and play the notes? or is it just to hear the tunes? is there a record function, so charting is possible while playing the guitar? and thanks for the screenshots.
BrianSpud33  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically (and I HATE to admit this), you COULD set the 5 buttons to play the same MIDI notes as they are in GH/RB .mid files, and record what you're playing as you play along with a song, but the chart that would result would be so awful that it should be beaten with a stick, set on fire, thrown off a bridge, and then smashed with a sledgehammer... and then I'll personally come to your house and kick you if you do that.

Honestly, the best application for this program actually has NOTHING to do with GH or RB. What my program does is ALMOST make the Strat, Xplorer, or LP a legitimate, usable musical instrument. If you took 5 minutes to set up a configuration that you like, you could figure out how to play a song, open up GarageBand, pick a cool electric guitar sound, and be able to record it as if you were ACTUALLY playing guitar.

Of course, it's no substitute for a real guitar... but I find it to be more fun than trying to record MIDI guitar parts on a keyboard.

EDIT: I think you might be getting hung up on the fact that MIDI files are used within GH and RB games, and this uses MIDI in a different sense. If you're interested, check this out to learn more about the MIDI protocol and its applications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSpud33 wrote:
but the chart that would result would be so awful that it should be beaten with a stick, set on fire, thrown off a bridge, and then smashed with a sledgehammer... and then I'll personally come to your house and kick you if you do that.

lmao, too bad. It would be awesome if someone could incorporate or tweak it so the charts would turn out semi good...but im no expert at that.

How do I download the runtime? im using Windows Vista.

EDIT: Crap I don't meet the reguirements. Well my processor doesn't support the Max5. Damn it. Oh well
BrianSpud33  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange. What kind of processor do you have, and what error message does it give you when you try to run or install the runtime?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When installing, I hit the PACE Drivers x64.exe. and got this:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll193/kevster90/Installproblem.jpg

(Sorry usually I wouldn't post a link but I was just having troubles right now for some reason.)

But then I hit the Max5.msi and it seems to be working. And the drivers were installed afterwards I believe.

EDIT: I've figured it out, but i'm really lost as to what I do. I've read the help but i am stuck, can't produce anything with the guitar; even though it's plugged in and recognized.
BrianSpud33  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you don't even need those drivers... they're just for the 64-bit systems, which you don't have.

If you've selected the guitar in the pulldown menu (click it again even if it's listed when you open the program), clicked on the button to choose which OS you're using, and everything seems to be working (IE, the strum light and whammy meter are doing what they should) but there's no sound, your system MIDI volume is probably muted or turned down. Go into your system sound preferences and make sure it's up (the MIDI volume might be in advanced options or something, just look around for it.)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated this to version 0.4. It's MUCH easier to set up and use now, has new features that make it easier to play... and best of all, you can now use it with any MIDI-capable application or external device. That means that you can record guitar parts in a program like Anvil Studio or GarageBand using your Xbox 360 Strat, Xplorer, or Les Paul.

I'll have a video demonstrating this soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I was using Owen's program "Fretbuzz" which makes music on it's own, and that ricks, but this works better with other apps separately. Thanks a lot. I'll be using both, but if you havn't seen the guitar zeros, I suggest you look them up and talk to Owen. He's good with max msp too!
BrianSpud33  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I actually saw the Guitar Zeroes videos way back before I even knew about Max/MSP. As soon as I started working with Max in class and had this idea, I remembered about the Guitar Zeroes, and thought "you know what, I bet they use Max to control their stuff"... sure enough, they do.

But yeah, I checked out FretBuzz, and it's pretty damn awesome. I just started working with Max about two months ago, so there's no way I could ever write anything that intricate. Last time I checked, though, it didn't support the extra functions available on the Strat (toggle switch, solo buttons, etc.) and I really wanted to make use of those, as well as skip past the actual synthesis of guitar sounds and work directly with MIDI (which is the key difference between my patch and FretBuzz, as you pointed out).

The only problem is figuring out where to go from here, since using MIDI has its limits... if only all software guitars followed the same standards, then I could make my patch do so much more, but nooooo, they all have to be different. boo.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will continue to use your patch, but the only things that I did not like are the fact that the whammy does not work with midi output, but I guess I understand that, and other than that, guess it is great! Keep working on it, and I'll keep downloading. Great job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: