ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Eight Games You Don't Care About (But Totally Should)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MutatedWaffle77  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Eight Games You Don't Care About (But Totally Should) Reply with quote

So, we've all heard of the big games coming out this year or shortly afterward. We've been reading updates on them, watching videos, and putting down money on pre-orders. Meanwhile, many games have managed to slip under most people's radars undeservedly. These are games with so much creativity and originality that are being ignored because they don't have a number at the end of the title or because they weren't marketed effectively. I've decided to take it upon myself to point out some of these titles in hopes of raising awareness. Not all of these are out yet, but the point isn't to give a review, but rather to show why I'm interested and why you should be too. I expect to be horribly inconsistent with regard to how much detail I put into my summaries, but I'll also provide links to screenshots/videos/etc. so you can see the games for yourself.

To start off:

8. Outland
Developed by: Housemarque (Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation)
Published by: Ubisoft
Platforms: XBLA, PSN
Available: Now

I'm starting off with Outland because, well, it's actually somewhat well-known. Outland is a side-scrolling, Metroidvania platformer with a bullet polarity system similar to that of Ikaruga. It has a beautiful art-style that's a mix of minimalist silhouettes and tons of color.

Here's some screenshots - more
Trailer

7. Catherine
Developed by: Atlus Persona Team (Persona Series)
Published by: Atlus
Platforms: PS3, Xbox 360
Available: July 26 - Demo out now

Fu­ck, this game is weird. Catherine is best described as an erotic horror, puzzle platformer, adventure game. Its main character, Vincent, cheats on his girlfriend, Katherine, with another girl, Catherine, then begins having nightmares about falling and being chased by demons (and being in his underwear surrounded by sheep-people, apparently). Shortly afterward, rumors begin spreading about cheating men who have similar dreams who later end up dead in their beds. Gameplay is split into day and nightmare segments, with the day segments involving you managing Vincent's relationships and the nightmare segments involving not dying.
If you like weird games I'd definitely recommend giving the game a try. It's certainly a premise that many will find entirely unappealing and for that I can't blame them. But, the critical reception to the game has been very positive, so if you think you might want to give this game a shot, it looks like it's a shot worth taking.

There's much more info, screens, and videos at this NeoGAF thread (yes, this will be a trend).

6. Radiant Historia
Developed by: Atlus (Megami Tensei series, Etrian Odyssey series)
Published by: Atlus
Platforms: DS

Radiant Historia is a JRPG based on time-travel. Gameplay involves going to various events through time attempting to change the outcome of history. The game presents you with choices which actually do make a difference (unlike Bioware choices). The game itself was developed by one of the best teams in the genre and has music composed by Yoko Shimomura (Legend of Mana, Breath of Fire series, Kingdom Hearts series, Final Fantasy Versus XIII). If you're a JRPG fan who's been starved this whole generation, this game is for you.

NeoGAF thread

5. Shadows of the Damned
Developed by: Grasshopper Manufacture (Killer7, No More Heroes)
Published by: EA

This is the game that inspired the list, for a reason I'll give later. First: the personnel behind the game. Shadows of the Damned is a collaborative effort between Suda51 (Killer7, No More Heroes) and Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil, Resident Evil 4, P.N.03, God Hand, Vanquish). The music is composed by Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series). Interested? You should be.
In Shadows of the Damned, your girlfriend has been kidnapped by demons. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue your girlfriend? Fu­ck yeah you are! You go through Hell (literally) killing the shi­t out everything with your trusty ex-demon sidekick, who transforms into your various guns.
So, why did such a badass game inspire the list? 'Cause it didn't sell shi­t. Why? EA didn't market the game. At all. Seriously, the money you spend buying the game from the bargain bin will be more than EA spent marketing it. That's why, within a week of being on store shelves, the game sold 24,000 copies in America...across both platforms. That's disgusting.

NeoGAF thread

4. From Dust
Developed by: Ubisoft Montpellier (Beyond Good and Evil)
Platforms: XBLA, PC, PSN
Available: XLBA and PC on July 27, PSN version TBA

Once again, I'd like to make mention of this game's director, Eric Chahi. Chahi was the creator of such classic adventure titles as Another World (known as Out of this World in America) and Heart of Darkness. If you haven't heard of either of those games, look them up because they are both landmark achievements in game design.
Anyway, From Dust is actually quite different from Chahi's previous games. It's a God-simulator in the vein of Black and White. You can manipulate the earth, rock, and sea in order to protect and aid a developing civilization. If that sentence sounded boring, here's a better one: It's a God-simulator where you help a magical civilization by turning the ocean into Jello and protecting them from exploding trees.

NeoGAF thread
Giant Bomb 38-minute gameplay demo

3. Bastion
Developed by: Supergiant Games
Published by: Warner Bros.
Platforms: XBLA, PC
Available: XBLA version out now, PC version TBA

Bastion is an action RPG with tons of character. It's a delightful mix of supernatural fantasy and old western, with beautiful aesthetics and fantastic music. It's also very difficult to describe, so definitely be sure to check out the linked thread for screens and vids.

NeoGAF thread

2. Child of Eden
Developed by: Q Entertainment (Lumines, Meteos, Every Extend Extra)
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3
Available: 360 version out now, PS3 version out September 1

Child of Eden is the newest game by Tetsuya Mizuguchi (Space Channel 5, Rez, Lumines) and is the spiritual successor to Rez. If you've played Rez, you should have an idea of what this is and you're probably excited. If you haven't played Rez, Child of Eden is...well, on the surface it's an on-rails shooter. But, as a whole, it's so much more.

NeoGAF thread

1. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Developed by: Ignition Entertainment Japan Studio
Published by: Ignition Entertainment
Available: August 16, Demo out now

El Shaddai is an action/adventure/platformer/hack-and-slash directed by Takeyasu Sawaki (character designer for Okami and Devil May Cry). The game is loosely based on the book of Enoch, an omitted, non-canonical book of the Christian bible. El Shaddai follows a priest named Enoch, who is tasked by God to find the seven fallen angels in order to convince God not to destroy mankind with the flood. He is assisted by Lucifel (which obviously should have been translated as Lucifer), a guardian angel who acts outside the flow of time.
The main draw of El Shaddai, however, is its fantastic art direction. Everything in the game is portrayed in a very abstract fashion that gives the world an ethereal, divine feel. The whole game is br­imming with beauty and variety, all the while remaining mysterious and unfamiliar.
The gameplay also holds a fantastic balance of variety and minimalism. Every aspect of the gameplay feels like they really trimmed the fat; they didn't fill it up with needless features, but rather they switch up the gameplay styles frequently enough that none of them get stale. The game is constantly switching between a satisfying mix of Ninja Gaiden-esque combat, 3d platforming, and 2d platforming, all of which work very well and never seem to interfere with each other.
Eurogamer published a glowing review of the Japanese version of the game (which has been out for a few months already). In it, they had this to say:
Quote:
El Shaddai has everything you could ever want from a Japanese game. It has a transforming robot made out of motorbikes, a moonwalking dance master throwing shapes in front of the screen whilst you try desperately to fend off his minions, doves with boxing gloves for heads that gently but assertively butt you out of the air mid-jump, and so much more.

Eurogamer review
Screenshots
NeoGAF thread

So, there you have it. Hopefully you've found some games that interest you. If you have, please be sure to buy the game(s), so the developers can afford to make more great, creative games like these.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about Child of Eden, been wanting to play that one.

I'll check out Outland tonight.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outland and Child of Eden are fantastic- great additions. Catherine and Bastion, however, I thought were completely underwhelming. I'll give Catherine all the props in the world for going balls-to-the-wall by trying something so different, but in the end I felt like playing the old PS1 game IQ or any other number of JRPGs instead of a game that awkwardly mashed the two together. Bastion, on the other hand, I was expecting to love as a guy who grew up with the likes of Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, but again there just seemed to be something... missing. It wasn't personality (I thought the over-descriptive voice-over guy was hilarious), it wasn't the unique loadout system, and it definitely wasn't the retro art style. It just felt oddly hollow.

Shadows of the Damned and From Dust look great, though. I'll check out the former pronto and am looking forward to the latter once it hits Live.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The El Shaddai demo was very fun, but it's not something I would buy really. It looks like a 1 time playthrough type of game.

From Dust, however, looks really fun, and it's a really neat concept. I will probably pick that up on PC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Outland personally. I played the demo and it was okay, but I wasn't that taken by it.

Shadows of the Damned is brilliant. It sadly sold like shit and is guaranteed to never to get a sequel. It's sad that new IP's struggle so much to sell these days. It's so funny, the gameplay is great, and I felt the only downside of the game was that it has zero replay value. Coming from the guy who made Resident Evil 4, there are no bonus modes, no way to replay with the weapons you leveled up, no extra anything, which I think hurts a game nowadays.
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv actually played all of these except From Dust and you made some fantastic recommendations. Im quite excited for El Shaddai because its art direction is something ive never seen before. I have no idea what the story is about but its gameplay seems to be excellent. Shadows of the Damned is also a personal favorite as someone who really loved the new direction of the resident evil games. Radiant Historia I never finished due to time but I thoroughly enjoyed the story up until I stoped.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a correction from the OP, both Steam and Wikipedia have From Dust coming out August 17, NOT July 27th. Which sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the PC version of From Dust was delayed after I posted this thread. (surprisingly close to release) The XBLA version is still coming out tomorrow, though.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to try Child of Eden... one of the few games I've actually heard described as better to use with Kinect than with a controller. I'll have to pick it up the next time I drop by Gamestop.

Catherine I found very enjoyable, and I'll look into the others. In fact, Catherine is so stressful I might need Child of Eden to relax me afterwards.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
MutatedWaffle77  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't say it's better with the Kinect; more like equally good. Playing with Kinect is less accurate and still has the infamous input lag, but it has the advantage being able to move across the screen much more quickly than with the controller.

What's important, though, is that it's actually a good game for the Kinect. It certainly makes the Kinect worth having, although I still wouldn't buy one just for one game. If you have a Kinect already, though, CoE is definitely a must-buy.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MutatedWaffle77 wrote:
If you have a Kinect already, though, CoE is definitely a must-buy.

That's all I needed to hear

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
ricecake  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Rez, so I've been eagerly awaiting the PS3 release of Child of Eden, which got delayed to September I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought From Dust yesterday and it's pretty damn awesome. It has some crazy stuff happen like one level has the terrain periodically shifting which causes a lake to go back and forth between two locations. Also, of course, the aforementioned exploding trees and Jello.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: