ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Minesweeper help (expert)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qays1991  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Minesweeper help (expert) Reply with quote

hey guys, anybody here play the minesweeper?

I basically need some tips/pointers because I'm stuck on the expert level, although I do occasionally die on easy and intermediate level as well, eventhough there's a lot of empty spaces already...

yeah so anybody can help? especailly on expert level?
0wnd1zzl3d  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take your time. Make sure you're correct, and if you're not, flag it. The process of elimination is your friend.

EDIT: Oops, by "flag it", I meant the question mark... my bad.

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!

Last edited by 0wnd1zzl3d on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expert does, unfortunately, sometimes require you to make a random guess.
Mark 8:36
JediSasquatch  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:

I've run into that situation millions of times. I have yet to beat one expert game...

"Fear is your only God on the radio."
-Rage Against The Machine
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Jedi Sasquatch
jtownwhiteboy92  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediSasquatch wrote:
Matt wrote:

I've run into that situation millions of times. I have yet to beat one expert game...

i beat expert a few times, like 3 or 4
you do have to guess, so when you do, look around that area to make educated guesses, i can't really explain it a lot, but you should also be able to beat easy and intermediate well, so practice those until you get good

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when I have to guess on expert, I am down to 2 squares and 1 mine, and the numbers touching each square is the same (this usually is against the edge of the minefield).
Mark 8:36
KurtCobain  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always flag the squares you know are mines, and double right-click on squares you do not know about. It puts a question mark on the square. Good luck.
Faldion  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a huge Minesweeper addiction a while ago. Set myself a goal to pass Expert in under 2 minutes - got 110 seconds and haven't played since.

It's very helpful to recognize patterns that occur often. I learned most of the ones I can see by taking my time and deducing the locations carefully (use the ?'s when thinking - it makes life easier). Alternatively you can look here to see the most common ones. After getting a decent database of patterns in your mind it's a lot easier because you won't have to think about every single section of the board and can instead just click through many parts "automatically". Once you know a nice bunch, going for fast times becomes more interesting when you won't have to struggle just to pass.

And everybody hates random guessing. Ruins many a good run.
ShinobiAC  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some useful patterns. I'm not a pro player but I've beaten my share of expert games.

o = blank square revealed
@ = unrevealed square
x = Anynumber

Code:

ooooo
x212x
@@@@@

Square in front of the 1 is a bomb, thus the squares in front of the 2's are empty and the squares at the far sides both have bombs. Logic follows that if the bomb is in front of a 2, the other 2 squares in front of the 1 will be empty. This makes the other 2 impossible to solve.

Code:

ooooo
x121x
@@@@@

Squares in front of the 1's are bombs. Similar logic to the above. Other combinations make the 2 unsolvable.

Code:

oooooo
x1221x
@@@@@@

Squares in front of the 2's are bombs. Other placements not possible.

There's a lot of other obvious ones, like a 3 against a flat surface or a 1 in a corner. Also you have to be wary for bombs behind these number combinations that alter what the numbers really are. So if you have some 3s and 2s showing with a bomb behind them, it might actually be one of the patterns above once simplified. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:

I seem to get extremely unlucky, then. I can complete the Intermediate grid every single time with no problems. However, as soon as I move to Expert, the last few squares always seem to need me to guess, and while it's still a 1 in 2 or 3 chance of getting it correct, even if I do get it right, I don't feel like I've completed it properly precisly because I guessed on a square. <_<

I've completed perhaps five Expert grids without requiring a guess, when I've completed well over one hundred Expert grids in total.

My last.fm profile. My musical taste is obviously superior to everybody else's. Even if it does include black metal, classical and synthpop.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Tetrinity
lisamariefan  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:

Eh, sometimes... I'm always more comfortable when I open up a large spot myself.

On some of the longer strings of ones, it's using question marks, as mentioned, and seeing what arrangement would satisfy all that. Of course, this is then the string of ones starts at the edge and goes for a way. Some times this'll lead to guesswork, sometimes it'll sort itself into only one possible configuration.

Of course, it's easy to flag one, and accidentally over-flag...I've done that before.

I HAVE beaten the game though. >__>

If you wanted to cheat, there's a magical code or something that requires editing the registry names or something and then turning on a single pixel or something to beat it. I personally don't find it worth it, as any screen with any sort of pixel count worth a crap will have a pixel too small to see, and it's a lot of effort just to cheat anyways...

Yeah, just keep grinding, open up as big an area as you can, slowly deduce what you can, and hope you get lucky when you have to occasionally guess.

Matt wrote:
I'm going to pistol whip the next person who says Rick Roll'd

Best percentage in RaBl: 91% T__T
qays1991  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the guys that helped, keep them coming (because I still suck ? ) I have one question..so like, minesweeper expert is almost impossible to solve without guesses?
redanteater  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qays1991 wrote:
thanks for all the guys that helped, keep them coming (because I still suck ? ) I have one question..so like, minesweeper expert is almost impossible to solve without guesses?

No it's not impossible. I've had several games that involved no guessing.

I'm suprised at how many people here actually use the question mark. I just see it as something to slow you down. And it gets in the way alot. I always play with the question marks turned off.

After playing alot of minsweeper, you will eventually be able to play it almost robotically. As was said before, learn to recognize certain patterns. It will help.

Good luck passing it. This is probably one of my favorite games ever.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: hobbitard PSN Name: redanteater
powahouse  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, i suck at minesweeper. shit, my old girlfriend killed at that game. she used to make custom boards. the hugest ones ever. weird talent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
ShinobiAC  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redanteater wrote:
qays1991 wrote:

No it's not impossible. I've had several games that involved no guessing.

I'm suprised at how many people here actually use the question mark. I just see it as something to slow you down. And it gets in the way alot. I always play with the question marks turned off.

After playing alot of minsweeper, you will eventually be able to play it almost robotically. As was said before, learn to recognize certain patterns. It will help.

Good luck passing it. This is probably one of my favorite games ever.

Well if he's going for a pass, that might be valid. For speed, you should never use question marks, and it's debatable whether flagging is even useful!

Which brings me to my next hint, Hold Right Click and press Left Click.

What's this nonsense you ask? Well, if you aren't already doing it, it's a great way to make sure you are uncovering all the appropriate squares and cuts down on errors. What it does is for the square that you click on, it reveals all the squares around it. Whoa whoa! No good, what if there's a bomb? Well, the only way that squares are revealed is if the appropriate number of bombs are flagged for that square. For example:

Code:

ox@
x1@
@@@

Let's say you flag a bomb in the lower left corner of the above pattern. Now, all the other squares around the one are guaranteed to be open. A quick way to open them would be to hold right click down and left click on the 1. This will free up those four squares. Eventually, you will be tagging with right click quickly, then on your last tag, holding down the right click and sweeping through revealing with left click. Makes games go faster when you don't have to think quite as much and concentrate about not misclicking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: