ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Disc Trouble.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Disc Trouble. Reply with quote

Ok, I tried playing my Guitar Hero game again today. (For those of you that don't know, my game has been broken for....forever.) The error I got today was interesting. I hadn't played my game since I had resurfaced it, since I assumed that it'd be fine. Oh boy was I wrong.

I start up the game and it starts fine. The intro movie pops up, the main screen starts, and I'm able to pick my band. I start to think that maybe I'll be able to play Guitar Hero again. I go to Career mode after picking my band...and the screen goes black.

Frustrated, I decided to see if it was a one-time thing. I loaded it all over again, went to Career...and the same thing happened. I thought it might've just been Career acting up, so I tried going through all of the options except Multiplayer (I only have one controller). Every time I did anything past the main menu it did it. My disc has no noticeable scratches on it, so I know it's not just a jacked up game.

Do any of you guys know how to fix a problem like this beyond buying an entirely new game? It'd be nice if I didn't have to spend at least another $50 after getting the game resurfaced....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try turning your ps2 on its side or upside down
i think it has somthing to do with aligning the lasers in the ps2 or something
worked on my old ps2 for a few games tha were having problems
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was incredibly scared of turning my PS2 upside down...since I've actually ruined a few of my consoles that way, but I ran back and tried it.

Sadly, it didn't work. The screen went black, but it didn't get any farther than that.

If it helps at all, the sound effects in the background are loading, excluding the snippet of one of the bonus songs they'll play every once in a while. (The car horn, the crowd, etc.) It's just that the actual selection screen itself doesn't load.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the disk being scratched up or is it the PS2's lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then it may be the connection of the cables from the back of your ps2
try putting the cable in a different video output (or input, im just throwin out suggestions)
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would have to be the disc, since I actually had to replace my old PS2 after the game broke. Here's the story of how it broke if it helps at all.

I was playing Fire it Up (yes, the same song I lost my whammy bar's springiness on). I was rocking out pretty well (it would've been my best score by far) when my sister accidentally kicks over my PS2. At that time, I had it in the vertical position. However, I did not think that it could fall over very easily without the stand. The PS2 crashes and lands upside down. I freak out, yell at my sister, pause the game to save my score from being completely killed, and put it back to normally.

The game seems to be fine still, so I hit the green fret to unpause it. It makes the sound it makes when you unpause it and I see the board moving and the notes coming at me again. However...the pause menu is still up. I can't strum, since it still thinks I'm on the menu. I can hold down the fret buttons in the background though. Frustrated at a fantastic run killed, I restart the game. And it never loads again.

I knew from the minute I saw it that the PS2 was done for, so I went ahead and replaced that. Same game disc though, only it's been resurfaced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popemobile wrote:
then it may be the connection of the cables from the back of your ps2
try putting the cable in a different video output (or input, im just throwin out suggestions)

I'm pretty sure it's not that, since everything else loads except for the song selection screen. I can see the main menu, and then after that (every single time after that), it goes black. The song snippet doesn't load at all either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing is happening to me.

My ps2 has been having disc read errors (DRES) for ages but I did nothing because it was only games which had to read a lot of data which were effected.

Anyway it starts DREing on GH so I smack my ps2 up a bit, which usually sorts it. However this time it died. Lots of crap then followed trying to fix it but to cut it short I got a new laser and it works fine now.

HOWEVER Guitar Hero doesn't. Sometimes it wont read, others it freezes on the opening movies. Sometimes I can load the game and play a few songs, butit always ends up not loading something, I get a black screen and can hear some sort of noise but nothing else.

Checking the bottom of my disc I can see smudges on it. Now these arn't greasy smudge, or fingerprints, these are smudges etched into the disc. I reckon these are stopping the disc from being read correctly and GH then just fails. I also reckon it was caused by smacking my ps2, which would be a similar effect to having your sister knock it over. So check the bottom of your disc.

My copy is pretty new (2 weeks old) but as I customized the guitar I cannot take it back. I have e-mail customer support and am hoping they can exchange the disc, or put me in touch with somewhere which sells the game only. I advise you try to do the same
Genga  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

providing your PS2 can do so, get a backup of the game and play it that way, you may have to back it up off another disc

its not illegal if you own the original copy of the game
cat  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ps2 isn't modded sadly.
Genga  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, you can get a CD for your PS2 which lets you play imports, it may work

do you have the big PS2 or the flip top?
cat  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's version 9
Genga  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the flip type?
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, so is there any way to actually fix the main disc? Or are we essentially replacing the thing anyways, the only difference being that one way is slightly more legal than the other?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Javman158 is looking for a new controller, is the both of you can sychronize your efforts you could buy the bundle and split it, you get the game and he gets the controller. Check this link to see Javman's plight:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=806
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: