ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
the "Average" Scorehero player
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erimgard wrote:
Assuming the GH3 expert overall leaderboard is an accurate (which it isn't) cross section of score hero aptitude, and the fact that there are 20,127 users with submitted scores, then this user is an average score hero'er.

I think you guys are getting your ideas of 'average' based on what people post, and I don't think many people are vocal about their scores until they feel they are at least worthy of posting a topic.

I think in order to really see the SH ranking boards as accurate, then you'd really only want to take the top 2000 into consideration (I could be wrong, that's the first number to pop in my head, and this is based on single system ranks, not overall... And this excludes the PC ranks, since it has like... 300 players -.-)

But.. I know I don't have a lot of posts, but I've been lurking here pretty hardcore. Just from random threads you see people voicing their overall ability. But yeah, I guess to get an accurate view of an average SH player would be kinda impossible... But eh, I guess the best thing we can do is try to be as close to accurate as possible and cut the ranking limit to a decent number (like I said, possibly top 2000... Hell... Actually... Top 5000 sounds better, since we'd need to look at it "globally" and not on just one system) and work from there.

It'd certainly be possible to get a good figure on what's "average", but it'd be time consuming and involve a lot of sorting through scores.
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
Kyuukyuu  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So going by the Top 5000 thing mentioned up there, this guy is the "average". Just about exactly 20mil and 20-odd FCs... matches what I was thinking quite well.
RBurgandy  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erimgard wrote:
Assuming the GH3 expert overall leaderboard is an accurate (which it isn't) cross section of score hero aptitude, and the fact that there are 20,127 users with submitted scores, then this user is an average score hero'er.

I think you guys are getting your ideas of 'average' based on what people post, and I don't think many people are vocal about their scores until they feel they are at least worthy of posting a topic.

So you just took the average of EVERYONE on this webiste with or without scores? Or is the 20,127 users with scores? Or are there 20,127 users that have scores in the Expert database? Also you may want to only take the users that have the entire game beat (on Expert, im assuming we are talking about here), maybe with the exception of TTFAF, then take that and divide by 2 and call that player the 'average'

I would do all this myself but i dont know how to figure that stuff out around this site.
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyuukyuu wrote:
So going by the Top 5000 thing mentioned up there, this guy is the "average". Just about exactly 20mil and 20-odd FCs... matches what I was thinking quite well.

Yeah.. Right now that seems to be the most accurate idea of "average". It certainly lines up with a lot of my ideas on what it would be.. Plus I mean, he seems to have struggled 5*ing songs like Raining Blood, which you do hear about a lot.. But not from anyone. And a solid 4.0 star rating on TTFaF even further adds to this.. Plus the 4.5 star rating on TWIE.. I mean, I dunno, I never really had a problem with it, but it's apparently considered a hard 5* for the average player (and I don't mean I didn't have problem with it as in I'm good or anything, just that it's one of those songs that just kinda clicked for me.. Y'know, we all have those songs we have an easier time and a harder time with than most people)
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
g0dly  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamchris4life is 3964th at gh3... i guess i am better than him then right???

these scores on this site are not accurate representations of our skills. there is no way to find an average based on these scores unless everybody were to input all of their scores.
Matt276  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will never get an exact answer to this question because not everyone enters all their scores. The fact that around 70% of scores entered on Closer are FC's doesn't mean that 70% of Scorehero users are good enough to FC Closer - actually, probably less than 70% of Scorehero users are good enough to FC Closer, since the people who haven't uploaded a score for Closer probably don't play expert or just don't want to post their scores because they don't think they're good enough. How much less than 70% is completely up to speculation.

Basically this entire thread consists of people having some preconceived idea of what an average player is and then making up some method of looking at the leaderboards that will result in an answer close to what they originally expected. This is pretty bogus.

Anyway, I'll leave on this note: At least 90% of Scorehero users would call themselves under average. (this is a guess but I'm pretty sure it's accurate)
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt276 wrote:
You will never get an exact answer to this question because not everyone enters all their scores. The fact that around 70% of scores entered on Closer are FC's doesn't mean that 70% of Scorehero users are good enough to FC Closer - actually, probably less than 70% of Scorehero users are good enough to FC Closer, since the people who haven't uploaded a score for Closer probably don't play expert or just don't want to post their scores because they don't think they're good enough. How much less than 70% is completely up to speculation.

Basically this entire thread consists of people having some preconceived idea of what an average player is and then making up some method of looking at the leaderboards that will result in an answer close to what they originally expected. This is pretty bogus.

Anyway, I'll leave on this note: At least 90% of Scorehero users would call themselves under average. (this is a guess but I'm pretty sure it's accurate)

I don't think it's bogus at all. I guess it's like I said earlier, when you know you can't be 100% accurate, you may as well come up with some method that will get you as close to accurate as possible. It's seriously coincidental that the user posted above that would be considered
"THE average player in SH" reflected what we already thought.

But hey, with this player being the case.. I'd seriously consider 2500th place as average, even if it isn't quite 100% accurate. It is kinda funny that they met up with what we expected.. With it being that said expectations are based upon quite a long time of lurking and listening to a lot of people talk about how well they play.

But yeah, that method was in no way concieved in order to bring us to what we already thought was average. Pure luck, yo.
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
RBurgandy  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt276 wrote:
At least 90% of Scorehero users would call themselves under average. (this is a guess but I'm pretty sure it's accurate)

Wutdafux? Paradox!
Erimgard  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBurgandy wrote:
Matt276 wrote:
At least 90% of Scorehero users would call themselves under average. (this is a guess but I'm pretty sure it's accurate)

Wutdafux? Paradox!

Eh, it's a perception thing. I've seen polls concluding most guys (and gals) think their respective 'sizes' are below average, and think that because our culture has a different view of 'average' than our biology actually produces. Same with sh perception of skill. If everyone is shouting 'mine's THIS BIG' around you, you tend to think yours is... smaller than average
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Erimgard Wii Friend Code: 390958806486
CompactDstrxion  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRL1053 wrote:
There are only two impossible (in terms of being thought to be un-FCable; yes I made that word up) songs though?

TTFAF and Jordan

Devil Went Down to Gergorge boyo...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If everyone is shouting 'mine's THIS BIG' around you, you tend to think yours is... smaller than average

ahahhaahhhhahahhaha
YetiPirate  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erimgard wrote:
RBurgandy wrote:
Matt276 wrote:

Wutdafux? Paradox!

Eh, it's a perception thing. I've seen polls concluding most guys (and gals) think their respective 'sizes' are below average, and think that because our culture has a different view of 'average' than our biology actually produces. Same with sh perception of skill. If everyone is shouting 'mine's THIS BIG' around you, you tend to think yours is... smaller than average

This actually makes ALOT of sense. I would consider myself below average on scorehero, but according to the statistics that football Tom threw at us, I'm way above average.

Thats that kind of stuff I want.
But more an Average Score per song.
that would be the best way to do this.

Because some people have only submitted some scores, well the scores they submitted can potray the average FOR THAT SONG.

so if you line your numbers up by SONG. then you can successfully get the average (mean obviously)

although, to do this we would have to have an easier way, as in, access to the database (looks at JCirri)

GH2X-4 S9
Season Points Winner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: AngryYetiPirate
Sabin83  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Monkeyman can FC Ballroom Blitz and his thread gets like 3 bumps, it makes it seem like other lesser accomplishments are so run of the mill around here that everyone is below average. I just FC'd DnD and still feel like it was 'eh.' This place and the accomplishment forum specifically drastically warps people's perceptions of 'average.'

Also the people that generally post on the forums generally care more and thus are better at the game. Posters also skew what is 'average' because most everyone who posts consistently has a bunch of FC's, so maybe the average FORUM POSTER is at 20ish FC's, but the average scorehero user and forum lurker might be sitting at 5ish Expert FC's

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erimgard wrote:

no, that user would be the median SH'er. there's a big difference between average and median.
p41  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a HUGE difference between the average Guitar Hero player's ability and the average ScoreHero'ers ability.

The average Guitar Hero player doesn't even play on expert.

To get the average player here I'd say take all of GH3 players who have beat all songs in game (excluding TTFAF so you can get a larger, more general pool). Average those scores on each song... add them up, there is your career average.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: