Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The State of ScoreHero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toymachine  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously believe that Guitar Hero/Rock Band kicks people in the balls before they log on here sometimes.

The Internet is not serious. Every forum has their memes. People are idiots. Everyone Lies. Other life summarizing catchphrases.

Also while Ewiggen's post was about as useful as trying to get strangers to be civil to each other on an internet forum- tomatoes are disgusting.
Graf  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to argue or anything, and I mean no malice by what this post says. It's just a statement of my opinion, and by no means do I intend any harm

CleverTangent wrote:
2) Posts and threads in the accomplishment forum receive more posts and attention than threads in other forums. I believe that the accomplishments forum is out of control; people artificially inflate their post counts by simply congratulating every person who creates a thread; the thread creator is encouraged by this type of post, and updates more often, hoping to attract more people, and they post in other people's accomplishment threads, and the cycle continues. While I have nothing wrong with making friends and posting in each other's threads, I don't see why people post so much in the accomplishments forum.

As someone who spends a lot of time in the forum, I take offense to this.

Everyone loves ScoreHero or utilizes it in a different way. When I play Guitar Hero, I usually don't play unless I am trying for a new goal or FC, which usually results in an update to my accomplishments thread. I look forward to the positive influx of comments that my achievements may receive, not to mention the self-esteem boost and motivation to be gained from these comments, which can help motivate players to try harder and work towards bigger goals. It can be said that the accomplishments forum is a big waste, but it can also be said that it is a major catalyst in some of the greatest Guitar Hero milestones ever achieved. I have nearly 4,000 posts, and a lot of my time is spent in the forum, but I also spend a lot of time in other parts of the forums as well. Misc. GH Discussion is a mess. It regularly has silly posts that are asking a quick question that has been addressed before, and when it doesn't, it has a lot of speculation threads. While you can look at the accomplishment forums and see a lot of "Wow! Congratulations!" posts as a +1 or useless post with no discussion value; you can also look at threads like "Guitar Hero: Metallica INFO from GameInformer" in the same light. A lot of posts in that thread consist of users talking about what songs they want in the game, or how they are excited for the game. Someone saying, "Wow! This is gonna be awesome!" is posting in a very similar way to players who post, "Congratulations!" in an accomplishment thread. While it can be looked at as a +1, sometimes it really is just the discussion value of that thread
CleverTangent wrote:
With regards to the "big" or "famous" players, a majority of the posts in their threads are "Wow!", or "You're awesome, do (song name) next!" posts, and really are pointless. The result is an atmosphere of back-patting and tit-for-tat posting in accomplishment threads which is largely pointless.

What else can be said? Some of these posts are ridiculous and can be looked at as being a +1 with and exclamation point, but sometimes that's honestly what people are feeling. When HellAshes FC'd Jordan, I couldn't believe it. A lot of people couldn't, so when they posted in his thread, a lot of people just said, "Holy Shit" or "Good job!" or "Do this song next!" because it is the first thing that came to their head. Yes, the general rule of thumb, "Post because you have something to say, not to say something" can be applied here, but it can also be said with equal relevance that these posts simply are the discussion value of such an achievement. People see accomplishments that are amazing to them, and they are speechless. Perhaps when they post in the thread to congratulate someone, they want to portray that speechlessness, and show the player who achieved the ridiculous accomplishment how awe-struck they are by the accomplishment itself.

EDIT:
ajanata wrote:
TSorbera wrote:
SilverSwift wrote:
...in regards to the post count issue (and I hate to say this, as I like my Mascot banner), maybe a total abolition of the posting banners is the only way.
Post banners or no post banners, people will post useless stuff to inflate their count. I actually kinda prefer having banners, because if somebody is obviously just inflating their count/banner, we can revert it to Rocker. The same doesn't really work as well with post numbers. I think that how it is right now is fine.

The obvious solution is to get rid of both post banners and post counts (or at least hide them to non-mods).

I disagree. While it is easy to assume that post-whoring will stop if there is nothing to gain from a higher post count if no banner or post count display exists, I think that the banners reflect a little on who you are as a user. I felt privileged to get my Free Bird banner, because when I see a Free Bird on the forum, I think of them as a veteran of ScoreHero; someone who has been around long enough to have that many posts, and to do it without being Rocker'd or banned means something to me. I don't think that having a high post count matters in the least. Do I think HellAshes is a post-whore because he has over 5,000 posts? No. I've met HellAshes and from what I can see he is just someone who loves the games and loves the site. I have ScoreHero set as my home page in FireFox, and I never log out of the site. I don't post everyday to raise my count, I post everyday because I love the site and I love discussing different things on the site. To put it simply, I don't think that post count displays or banners will matter if a user is posting just to get a new banner or higher number, as they won't last very long if they post in a manner that is inappropriate

Last edited by Graf on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: APeX Graf
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
The Internet is not serious.

People have found it serious enough to threaten the lives of both me and my family because of what I have participated in on the Internet. Perhaps you need to step back and realize what really happens to people on the Internet before you say that.

Graf wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to argue or anything, and I mean no malice by what this post says. It's just a statement of my opinion, and by no means do I intend any harm

Same goes for me, I'm hoping nobody took anything personally in this thread. I've got to go take the SAT right now, so when I get back I'll read the entirety of Graf's post instead of just the top.
guitarroker  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
Sorry to get a little off-topic, but as embarassing as it sounds, could anyone give me the correct definition of a "troll" (please don't link me to a page like this) I never knew exactly what the definition was; I just always kind of had an idea. (Just as simple answer would suffice. Going more off topic would definitely not be favorable in this situation).

I think the standard definition for an internet troll is someone who acts like an idiot and posts highly controversial stuff in hopes of dragging someone into a very emotional response.

Example:

"hey rofllolflofl guys rofl gh is for losers XD roflfol"

and then someone answers with:

"GH is not for losers you fucking idiot go die you loser I hope you die bitch."

Bad example, but this is more often than not the response they get (if only subtletly) and it amuses them a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is going to look at someones post count then judge them by the contents of their post then i think he should re-evaluate himself.

Post count means nothing, and if someone is gonna look at someone elses and be mad about what they post, then it's their problem, not the person with the large post counts. Congratulating people is not post whoring/ inflating your post. Infact how can you be Pro community and anti congratulatory? That is quite ridiculous i think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
toymachine wrote:

People have found it serious enough to threaten the lives of both me and my family because of what I have participated in on the Internet. Perhaps you need to step back and realize what really happens to people on the Internet before you say that.

I'm very much inclined to agree with this part. Yeah, the internet -shouldn't- be serious, but like it or not it's becoming just as much of a common way we communicate as calling friends or going out to the movies. We may not personally know everyone we interact with on the internet, but if the internet is such a big joke, why have people been threatened or hated over trivial issues from elitist internet groups? The internet is all fun and games until you're in a position of management and authority.

I know what you're thinking. "lol, don't take those threats seriously." Really? If I communicate on the internet as much if not more than I communicate face to face, I should really not take a threat against my existence seriously? If somebody called me up and said that shit, I would do something about it. But clearly, everything ever said on the internet is a joke and doesn't matter. Why do we bother banning anyone, then? I mean, we should learn to take a joke right?

The internet has driven people to kill themselves on a live stream, sell their virginity and other ridiculous items to strangers by means of an auction, violently insult others with racist or sexist comments, the list goes on. I sure am not laughing if the internet is supposed to be taken so lightly.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
inkjt510  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
CleverTangent wrote:
toymachine wrote:

I know what you're thinking. "lol, don't take those threats seriously." Really? If I communicate on the internet as much if not more than I communicate face to face, I should really not take a threat against my existence seriously? If somebody called me up and said that shit, I would do something about it. But clearly, everything ever said on the internet is a joke and doesn't matter. Why do we bother banning anyone, then? I mean, we should learn to take a joke right?

Yes, correct, we shouldn't, and yes.
Psalm 104:14 : He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man
GH3 Goals: Enlightened Guitarist [ ] 13
FG5*: TTFAF, TWIE
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
What can be done about this? I truly believe that if every poster begins to discuss instead of simply posting, the atmosphere of ScoreHero will change dramatically. Gone will the "What's the hardest DLC song?" posts be; gone will the "Favorite song?" threads be; instead, legitimate discussion will replace them, forming an atmosphere of friendliness and intelligence that fosters a positive board image.

This requires concessions for some people. If you want to be silly and stupid, please go somewhere else. If you don't want to discuss things, don't come to forums. I have many friends on this website, and I gained them through discussion, not by posting in their accomplishments thread, or by posting once in every thread I see. My post count is independent of the value of my ideas.

For your first paragraph, I NEVER see those posts. That's because they're stated in the rules as poll threads and if some dolt posts something like that because they DIDN'T read the rules, they get the thread deleted. And I think this board is very friendly already, you must be on a different SH.

As far as being silly and stupid, well...you can do that here. You just have to be serious and intelligent as well. Look at bjw's RaBl guide; it's REALLY funny and has the famous "If I were in a room with Adolf Hitler..." quote. Which is definitely silly and stupid, but bjw is also a really great member and a good GH player. My point is, as long as you contribute, I think you're allowed to be stupid once in a while. The people that are rockers failed to see this and didn't create enough discussion to balance the stupid and useless posts.

Graf wrote:
I disagree. While it is easy to assume that post-whoring will stop if there is nothing to gain from a higher post count if no banner or post count display exists, I think that the banners reflect a little on who you are as a user. I felt privileged to get my Free Bird banner, because when I see a Free Bird on the forum, I think of them as a veteran of ScoreHero; someone who has been around long enough to have that many posts, and to do it without being Rocker'd or banned means something to me. I don't think that having a high post count matters in the least. Do I think HellAshes is a post-whore because he has over 5,000 posts? No. I've met HellAshes and from what I can see he is just someone who loves the games and loves the site. I have ScoreHero set as my home page in FireFox, and I never log out of the site. I don't post everyday to raise my count, I post everyday because I love the site and I love discussing different things on the site. To put it simply, I don't think that post count displays or banners will matter if a user is posting just to get a new banner or higher number, as they won't last very long if they post in a manner that is inappropriate

*starts clapping for Graf*

Have my children. This is how I've always felt. If you manage to gain 2,000 posts and NOT get rockered you're a pretty damn awesome poster and someone who is valuable to the forums.

As far as the subject matter of the thread goes, I don't see the whole "SHIT THE FORUM IS DEGRADING" problem people have commented on MANY times. I mean, yeah, forums are going to have stupid posters, but we also have a ton of awesome posters and awesome moderation to keep the forum as high quality as it is. I post on GameFAQs and ScoreHero both, but the difference is, when I post on SH I don't think to myself "I wonder how good the trolls will be today and how many obvious trolls will go unmarked." I can actually hold an intelligent discussion here with people for the most part and have people that I actually LIKE seeing on a day to day basis instead of people that you know will ruin a thread as soon as they show up.

Also, does ANYONE notice that General Chat is not supposed to have ScoreHero or video game discussion...and this is in General Chat?
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
CleverTangent wrote:
toymachine wrote:

I'm very much inclined to agree with this part. Yeah, the internet -shouldn't- be serious, but like it or not it's becoming just as much of a common way we communicate as calling friends or going out to the movies. We may not personally know everyone we interact with on the internet, but if the internet is such a big joke, why have people been threatened or hated over trivial issues from elitist internet groups? The internet is all fun and games until you're in a position of management and authority.

The internet has driven people to kill themselves on a live stream, sell their virginity and other ridiculous items to strangers by means of an auction, violently insult others with racist or sexist comments, the list goes on. I sure am not laughing if the internet is supposed to be taken so lightly.

Alright, I agree that any threat to anyone, anywhere isn't a good thing. However, I just want to say one thing....what exactly is someone who threatens you over the internet going to do? Look, the people that threaten other people on the internet are probably some of the most one-sided, strongly opinionated people you'll ever hear of. No consideration for anything unless it came from their mouth. Consequently these people probably aren't that bright. Even if they were to attempt to do anything, you think they could? And god help me if you're including Xbox Live in "the internet". We all know the majority of XBL is morons and prepubescents. I've been threatened countless times, each time I've insulted them to the point of silence or them leaving the game I'm playing.

As for those people that commit suicide and sell their virginity, you're looking at either one or both of two things...a)lack of attention or b)a mental issue. You can't blame the internet for these problems, the internet itself is not a person, it can't tell you what to do. That kid who committed suicide was known to be drug user beforehand. It doesn't help that he followed through with killing himself in a live stream. Even some of the people watching it starting saying things like "Oh my god...I think he might be dead...". Oh, and the girl selling her virginity...give me a break.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBMrider86 wrote:
As for those people that commit suicide and sell their virginity, you're looking at either one or both of two things...a)lack of attention or b)a mental issue. You can't blame the internet for these problems, the internet itself is not a person, it can't tell you what to do. That kid who committed suicide was known to be drug user beforehand. It doesn't help that he followed through with killing himself in a live stream. Even some of the people watching it starting saying things like "Oh my god...I think he might be dead...". Oh, and the girl selling her virginity...give me a break.

The first paragraph itself was pretty good, but while the internet is not a person, it is a group of people. So someone posting on the internet using their personality is still a person threatening someone, no matter if they don't know each other in person. So even if they aren't talking like they do in person, someone else can take it like they are, which is what drove the guy to commit suicide.

(tell me if that makes sense)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
jamesw  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post isn't as much about stating my opinion (which I already have early in this thread) as much as it is giving props to Rickles and Graf.

Rickles stated my opinion exactly. Although there have not been as many interesting topic lately, complaining will do NOTHING. We need to act as a community to improve ourselves, contributing discussion-worthy topics and being as friendly and helpful as we can. Also, I have never seen a more civilized forum, don't take what we have for granted guys.

Graf, I completely agree with your accomplishment thread rant. I don't believe we would have nearly as much competition without accomplishment threads. Personally, what motivates me is getting posts from people I recognize congratulating me or challenging me to FC something very difficult. There are no problems with the accomplishment threads in my mind. Honestly, what is there to discuss other than to congratulate and motivate? That is why I disagree with people saying there is no discussion value in the accomplishment threads. They are not meant to bring up discussion, but to brag about what you've done. This is a Guitar Hero forum, what would it be without regular updates from top players with what they have accomplished?

Excellent posts Rickles and Graf.

Harmonix games are just too good not to play them for 8 years. Officially back in action.
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering I've only been here for about 5 months, I don't really know Scorehero as well as most of you do, but I really wholeheartedly agree with NfskMjmMal2 on his rant about how the process on how people should be banned. As you can see, I've been perma-rockered, but I also never received a message on why, so I don't know how to fix what I was doing. Other than that, I really have no complaint with Scorehero, and think it's one of the best and civilized forums I've been to.
iimeanyii  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:

I think you're allowed to be stupid once in a while. The people that are rockers failed to see this and didn't create enough discussion to balance the stupid and useless posts.

I take personal offense from that. All it takes is one stupid post to get perma-rockered.
toymachine  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
toymachine wrote:

I don't consider internet threats serious- If I did I'd have stopped going on youtube 2 years ago.

Some people make the internet out to be serious but there really is no underlying evidence to prove it is or life in general is (that's a whole other discussion though).

Also the whole online suicide, racist bigotry, and girl selling her virginity just falls under"Morons with better technology" for me.
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graf wrote:
What else can be said? Some of these posts are ridiculous and can be looked at as being a +1 with and exclamation point, but sometimes that's honestly what people are feeling. When HellAshes FC'd Jordan, I couldn't believe it. A lot of people couldn't, so when they posted in his thread, a lot of people just said, "Holy Shit" or "Good job!" or "Do this song next!" because it is the first thing that came to their head. Yes, the general rule of thumb, "Post because you have something to say, not to say something" can be applied here, but it can also be said with equal relevance that these posts simply are the discussion value of such an achievement. People see accomplishments that are amazing to them, and they are speechless. Perhaps when they post in the thread to congratulate someone, they want to portray that speechlessness, and show the player who achieved the ridiculous accomplishment how awe-struck they are by the accomplishment itself.

You have a point. I have problems with the people who do nothing but post "good jobs" and "holy shits", and say nothing else of value on the forums. There is a happy medium between what you're talking about and what I am. Maybe my scenario doesn't even exist anymore.

Maybe I'm just cynical, in which case we'll just have to agree to disagree. I stay out of the accomplishments forum for the most part anyway.

PiemanLK wrote:
Also, does ANYONE notice that General Chat is not supposed to have ScoreHero or video game discussion...and this is in General Chat?

I aimed a majority of my rant at General Chat, so I put it there. I chose to put it here instead of Website Discussion.

FBMrider86 wrote:
However, I just want to say one thing....what exactly is someone who threatens you over the internet going to do?

Harassment is in many ways more scary than somebody showing up on my front step and shooting me dead. The constant barrage of messages I received at one point drove me to the point where I wasn't mentally sound for a (thankfully very brief) time.

FBMrider86 wrote:
Consequently these people probably aren't that bright.

One of the stalkers I've met is one of the most brilliant people I've ever seen.

FBMrider86 wrote:
I've been threatened countless times, each time I've insulted them to the point of silence or them leaving the game I'm playing.

Your definition of "threaten" and mine are very different.

toymachine wrote:
Some people make the internet out to be serious but there really is no underlying evidence to prove it is or life in general is (that's a whole other discussion though).

Yes there is evidence, but you're right, that is another discussion. Moving on.

Shoot, that was way off topic. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: