ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
misirlou strumming.....Christ help me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outbreak1330  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: misirlou strumming.....Christ help me Reply with quote

This will be pretty short and simple....I cannot under ANY circumstance 5 star//keep a combo through any of the strumming. Considering I've 5 starred all songs except this and TWIE and have missed -1 on KoC outside of the strumming, when I play this god forsaken garbage of a song I want to shoot myself in the face.....

Does anyone have anything on how to make me even maybe 4 star this song...
DoctorCheese  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with GH2 (IMO) is that it isn't obvious if you are strumming to fast or too slow. Try watching videos of other people playing so you can hear the right speed. (This one has very loud stumming.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently having trouble 5* this song, I have Six and PBFO left to 5* and I'm done.
Because of GH2 note windows, strumming is haaaard.
The only advice I can actually give you for this song..
The strumming isn't as fast as it looks, and try to use an SG if you have one or GH3 LP if you have a 360.
War Ensemble XFC [ ]
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice. This song is a bitch to five star and will probably take you forever. If your having problems with stamina, play another fast strumming, but easier song. If you have problems with just the whole rift, then you should probably just go section by section in Practice mode. Also, that video should help you get a general idea on how fast you should be strumming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misirlou 5* Expert Guide
How to 5* Misirlou on Expert

Enjoy
MrPink  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your most likely over strumming, i personally think its as fast as the strumming in one if that helps you at all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misrlou was actually my LAST on-disc 5*. Yes, after TTFAF, after TWiE, after Six, Psycho Freakout, Texas Flood, Cowboys From Hell... And, even more surprisingly, I had Misrlou 3*ed when I got my second-to-last 5*. I know exactly what you're going through.

Let me guess, you play GH3 kind of a lot? I played GH3 almost constantly, so then moving to GH2, with its different engine, made Misrlou all but impossible.

And, I regret to inform you, oh-so-unlike almost every other song in the game(s), there is no secret for this song. There's a magic key to 5* almost every song out there, but this song just doesn't have that.

The strumming is constantly changing speeds, and it's in weird grouping. I will never quite understand how there are so many FCs of this song. For me to get the 5*, I just played it over. and over. and over. and over. and OVER again, each time a miserable failure. Just don't get frustrated. This song has "FAIL" written on it even more than TTFAF does. Just chip away. Sure, it won't seem like you make any progress each time (your score might even be LOWER than ever) but that doesn't mean anything. You're getting experience, and that's what you need.

Now, the closest thing to a magic key to this song is the outro. You have this:

...That is HUGE with a x8 multiplier under SP. Once you have the general hang of the song, and can keep short combos (x3, x4, maybe) then you can go for the 4 or 5*. Make damn sure you have SP for the outro there, and let it loose. This boosts your score up more than you can imagine if you get all those chords right.

In my 5* run, I hit enough SP to get in... I think it was 3 activations, each one with a decent combo under my belt. An FC is nowhere near necessary to 5* (you can sqeeze out with ~91-92%) but you need to keep a combo under SP, that's pretty much all that matters.

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
oddlyuneven  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHAddict gives great advice, and I would add only a few other thing. I don't know how anyone could 5 star this song without hyperspeed activated. Granted, you cannot select from 5 different speeds of hyperspeed like you can in GH3, but it does separate the notes and make it TONS easier to tell if you're over- or under-strumming.

I remember when 5-starring this song, I had to force myself to slow down constantly b/c I was overstrumming terribly. Experiment with different strumming speeds until you get that multiplier climbing. And listen to the song closely. You can get your ears and strums in tune and it just feels right sometimes. I could always tell when I was going to break combo on this song because my strums were off pace with what I was hearing. I don't know if that sounds funny, but it's true. Not saying you can hear each strum, but you can hear where each "group" of strums will begin and end.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I get the off beat predictions of when I lose my combo.
And under any circumstances, don't try and use the HOPO in the strumming.
My friend was using the strumming HOPO, but he was missing every HOPO..
I told him to stop doing it, his score increased by somewhere around 25-30k
War Ensemble XFC [ ]
THEGH  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... yes, I remember when this song was the worst possible thing ever. I played it over and over and over and over and over again. But enough about me, the key to this song is getting the right speed, and even more importantly, maintaining it. Endurance is key, patience is key. 200k is necessary if you want to 5* this. Use SP wisely, and persevere ma man.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently going for this right now, its also my last song to 5* (other than six and Jordan) my current high-score is 193,000, so I'm less than 10,00 away. Those 2 guides posted seems to help alot, thxs for all the info.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find with Misirlou, that if your calibration is the slightest hint off the mark, your score will go to shit. When I was playing it on my SG, I was regularly pulling scores of 210K, and even a few 230K scores - more often than not, I would crack the 5-star barrier. When that guitar bit the bullet, and I moved over to the wireless Kramer (which has a small amount of lag) my median score plummeted to around 150-160K (for the record, my median score on KoC increased by about 30K). To this day, I've only pulled two 5* scores on that guitar, and they were both in the 201-202K range. But it's really really difficult to find the right calibration on GH2.
jamesw  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPink wrote:
your most likely over strumming, i personally think its as fast as the strumming in one if that helps you at all

It's actually nearly impossible to overstrum due to the apparent strum limit. If you include extra strums, the game for some reason doesn't register some of the notes, and so you will miss notes but not overstrum. I once strummed the second half of the intro of misirlou as fast as I could and FC'd it without breaking combo once, so it is unlikely he is overstrumming.

Harmonix games are just too good not to play them for 8 years. Officially back in action.
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesw wrote:
MrPink wrote:

It's actually nearly impossible to overstrum due to the apparent strum limit. If you include extra strums, the game for some reason doesn't register some of the notes, and so you will miss notes but not overstrum. I once strummed the second half of the intro of misirlou as fast as I could and FC'd it without breaking combo once, so it is unlikely he is overstrumming.

I think you meant to finish your post with "understrumming?"

Either way, yeah, you probably aren't overstrumming, at least during the streaks. Don't fall behind. Not a whole lot else I can say there, except go to the Misirlou guide and listen to the video of the loud strumming.

Fretting between each streak is also important to be accurate on. Do NOT fret late; you WILL overstrum.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
GHAddict  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesw wrote:
MrPink wrote:

That may be so, but what I think he's referring to by "overstrum" is playing it 1 1/3 times (or so) faster than he needs to. The odd strumming and mixed HO/POs in it leave there plenty of room to overstrum.

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: