Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Fitness Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get back into running and a bit of exercising, but I don't have a goal at all. I feel like I'm in great shape, but not having a goal results in me having less motivation to actually run and workout. What sort of goals should I set for myself other than "run faster?" I've already ran a marathon, and don't have much of a desire for any ultras or ironmen triathlons. Any ideas?

f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
I've been trying to get back into running and a bit of exercising, but I don't have a goal at all. I feel like I'm in great shape, but not having a goal results in me having less motivation to actually run and workout. What sort of goals should I set for myself other than "run faster?" I've already ran a marathon, and don't have much of a desire for any ultras or ironmen triathlons. Any ideas?

I have several strength goals that keep me motivated. Legit one arm chin ups, human flag, front lever, planche, slow muscle up on a bar, to name a few key goals...I find that, in terms of returns based on time invested, strength training is more efficient than running long distance. It's also less boring.

If you live in an urban area, once you become proficient at advanced bodyweight strength exercises, you can merge the two and do parkour.

As a runner, I would recommend you at least try to get down pistol squats.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys this thread's been pretty dead so i'm gonna give a progress update.

i managed to eek out a slow bar muscle up on July 4...but i haven't been able to repeat it since. so now i'm doing slow ring muscle ups to build strength. besides that, i'm trying to get full range handstand push ups (get a couple of chairs against a wall and dip your head down until your hands are at your shoulders). i do muscle ups and hip push ups one day, then full range handstand push up negatives with isometric holds throughout and pull ups the next day. ideally, this will be a 5 day set where day 3 repeats day 1 and day 4 repeats day 2 and day 5 is rest. then i just do core work (mainly L seats and one arm elbow levers) and leg work (pistol squats) at work 5 nights a week. i think splitting it up like this will allow my muscles to get more rest while allowing me to actually get more workouts in.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
sukergod  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I was wondering if I could get some advice (and help)

I want to lose a few pounds over the summer (at about 220 right now and my ideal weight should be about 185) and have been keeping to a pretty good diet and walking everyday but I wanted to start lifting some weights. I have one of these types of machines in my parents house

http://www.yeebiz.com/upimg/20/7652/home-gym-532.jpg

granted its not that one but it has most of the same stuff.

Basically Ima noob when it comes to this stuff, so what types of exercises should I do and how often, etc. etc.

Any help would be great
KetchuponEggs  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
Hey Guys, I was wondering if I could get some advice (and help)

I want to lose a few pounds over the summer (at about 220 right now and my ideal weight should be about 185) and have been keeping to a pretty good diet and walking everyday but I wanted to start lifting some weights. I have one of these types of machines in my parents house

http://www.yeebiz.com/upimg/20/7652/home-gym-532.jpg

granted its not that one but it has most of the same stuff.

Basically Ima noob when it comes to this stuff, so what types of exercises should I do and how often, etc. etc.

Any help would be great

Saw the machine you have. Not a machine fan. Buy a copy of Starting Strength and get a gym membership. These two things plus a proper diet will transform you in to a beast.

<Fenster> eh
<Fenster> 89 is only 7 less
<Fenster> what's 7 quite bitter beings when you already have 89
* You were kicked from #toys by Echelar (MAGIC PENIS BOX-HO)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Toxin066 PSN Name: Toxin066
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I have realized the monstrous results your diet causes to your body. Over the summer, I lost ~10 lbs, which is just amazing to me. I went from ~168-170 lbs to ~158-160 lbs in about 3 months. I did some exercising, but it was nothing extreme; I exercised for 45 minutes a day at the most, and I didn't do it every day of the week.

I literally revamped my entire diet, and I think that is what caused this to happen. It can be extremely hard to give up things you love; I know some things were very hard for me to stop eating. The only things I drink now are water, juice, and millk, but 90% of the time, I will drink water. This cuts a lot of calories out of your day, which leads to easier weight loss. I've made sure to get at least one serving of fruits and vegetables every day, but I try to get two if I can. I cut fast food out of my life entirely, which was extremely hard for me to do, but I did it. Now if I am faced with a situation where I must eat fast food, I will only eat a grilled chicken sandwich. Nowadays, they are much healthier than they used to be, and they are served on a whole wheat bun. Some places like Chick Fil a are great for me because I can eat one of these sandwiches, and get a side of fruit with it instead of french fries. I still try to eat something from home rather than eat fast food as much as I possibly can. I cut out all junk food, and the only snack I will allow myself to eat is a fruit or a vegetable.

Along with some other healthier choices, I have started limiting the amount of food I will eat. I stayed the same weight from 6th grade all the way to my senior year of high school. I ate like a mad man during that time, but nothing happened. I guess I could chalk it up to good genes. Well, the genes started to run out when I went to college, and I gained ~40 lbs by the end of my freshman year. I would always eat until I absolutely could not force anything down my throat, which made me feel good. Now, I just eat until I start to feel kind of full. If I don't finish all my food, that's okay; I don't want to eat more than I need. I think that is one of the main things of losing weight, just knowing when to stop eating.

tl;dr changed my diet entirely over the summer, got great results from it.

I just wanted to share this to maybe inspire someone who really wants to lose weight. Exercise helps a lot, but if your diet is no good, it will take ages if ever to see any results from your exercising.
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:
Hey everyone! I have realized the monstrous results your diet causes to your body. Over the summer, I lost ~10 lbs, which is just amazing to me. I went from ~168-170 lbs to ~158-160 lbs in about 3 months. I did some exercising, but it was nothing extreme; I exercised for 45 minutes a day at the most, and I didn't do it every day of the week.

awesome, man! glad you are seeing good results! firstly, you don't have to kill yourself exercising. i don't exercise that much. i do an actual workout every other day at the house, which is usually just upper body (say, weighted chin ups and dips, or muscle ups, whatever; as long as it's comprehensive pushing and pulling and challenging enough), then i do legs and core at work (pistol squats and L seats). throughout my shift i will just do a set, i usually do 3~5 sets a night of 8 pistol squats on each leg and hold an L seat for 8 breaths (which is about 2 seconds a breath), so the numbers add up. then, on my "off days" i will often do skill training. these days i am holding handstands for time, working on coming off of the wall and balancing it without support. i also practice my levers fairly frequently. i am getting very close to a clean back lever, and i can now legitimately hold a human flag for several seconds!

Quote:
The only things I drink now are water, juice, and millk, but 90% of the time, I will drink water. This cuts a lot of calories out of your day, which leads to easier weight loss. I've made sure to get at least one serving of fruits and vegetables every day, but I try to get two if I can.

good job with your successful diet! the 2 primary suggestions i have for you relate to this part here. firstly, eat more vegetables. like, a good portion of your diet should be vegetables. in a given meal, probably half of your plate should be vegetables and the other half a lean protein source. fruits and grains are fine, in my opinion (fruits more than grains). the only problem with fruit is the sugars they have, and some people don't like carbs or are gluten sensitive...but basically what you would ideally do is eat 4~6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 bigger meals. this increases your metabolism, and when you eat fewer heavier meals your body will go in a bit of a 'starvation' mode. basically it thinks there's a food shortage and is more prone to store fat. but if you eat several smaller meals then you always have a light amount of food to digest quickly, instead of a large amount to digest slowly. anyway, 4~6 smaller meals, only eat until you're content, 50/50 vegetables protein source. a snack like a piece of fruit and a glass of milk can constitute a meal.

the other thing i want to mention is the juice. juice is fine, and i love juice, but the same points about fruit do apply to it, so be mindful of that. you may want to start drinking tea to break the monotony of water. there are plenty of health benefits that it provides, and many people find that regular tea consumption gives a metabolic boost and helps them lose weight. i would suggest high quality tea, you can find a wide variety of delicious, high quality teas at a reasonable price at www.adagio.com.

Quote:

I just wanted to share this to maybe inspire someone who really wants to lose weight. Exercise helps a lot, but if your diet is no good, it will take ages if ever to see any results from your exercising.

this is so true. if you have a crappy diet, then you are wasting a lot of your exercise efforts.

yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I stopped doing isolation shit and started doing Stronglifts 5x5 about a month ago, which I saw posted in here. Holy fuck I've never seen results so fast. Seriously, it's nice gaining actual full-body strength and not just disjointed muscle size. I also started doing the Milk program thing because I'm really underweight and frankly I'm so fucking lazy that I find it difficult to motivate myself to eat more than 3x a day. So hopefully a gallon of milk a day will help me pack some weight on.

But yeah if you're not seeing results with what you're currently doing, I can't recommend stronglifts more.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
So I stopped doing isolation shit and started doing Stronglifts 5x5 about a month ago, which I saw posted in here. Holy fuck I've never seen results so fast. Seriously, it's nice gaining actual full-body strength and not just disjointed muscle size. I also started doing the Milk program thing because I'm really underweight and frankly I'm so fucking lazy that I find it difficult to motivate myself to eat more than 3x a day. So hopefully a gallon of milk a day will help me pack some weight on.

But yeah if you're not seeing results with what you're currently doing, I can't recommend stronglifts more.

Let us know how this all works out man, I tried that milk thing but I couldn't continue drinking a whole gallon a day for more than a few days. I like milk it's just damn that's a lot of drinking, plus there's never any room in our fridge for more than 2 maybe 3 gallons tops so I had to go to the store several times a week.

If I lifted weights, I would do something like that; highly compound exercises are the most valuable. Squat, deadlift, overhead press, row...great exercises. I've actually considered some dumbbell exercises to supplement my training, but I always rationalize not doing it. I find gymnastic rings and/or a pull up bar, and maybe a few dumbbells (mainly to add resistance to pull ups/dips/pistol squats) offer more than enough challenges and opportunity for strength gains, and it takes up a lot less space at the house (plus easier for travel) than barbells and plates. The main difference is that the weighted exercises keep your body in well leveraged positions (which is smart when lifting tons of weight), and simply add resistance in the form of more weight. You need to decrease leverage to add more resistance to bodyweight exercises. It's still possible to add weight to them, and if you think about it it's still technically "weightlifting", you're just lifting in very disadvantaged planes of leverage so you can't lift that much. For example, imagine doing a hanging knee raise with 20 pounds of ankle weights. Now imagine doing a front lever with 20 pounds of ankle weights. LOL! It's totally ridiculous how hard your entire body would have to work to lift that 20 pounds! The upper body is easy with bodyweight, just look at any Olympic gymnast. Their training surmounts to advanced bodyweight exercises, largely if not almost exclusively. However, because of the relative few high level bodyweight leg exercises (primarily the pistol squat and glute ham raise), these exercises would require the most added weight. For me, at 140 pounds, doing a pistol squat with 70 pounds is like doing a barbell squat with 280 pounds, ass to grass.

NudePanda  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

So I was interested in this Stronglifts thing, so I checked out their website. I read through it all, but is there a fee or anything for a subscription? The article I read on their website made it sound like there was, but I can't find anything on a fee.
KetchuponEggs  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEADLIFTS, BABY. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

<Fenster> eh
<Fenster> 89 is only 7 less
<Fenster> what's 7 quite bitter beings when you already have 89
* You were kicked from #toys by Echelar (MAGIC PENIS BOX-HO)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Toxin066 PSN Name: Toxin066
newuser1234  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

i just looked up stronglifts and im pretty skeptical. honestly, i dont see how you can keep improving at the rate he claims just doing these 3 exercises 3x a week. maybe you can shed some more light on this program

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newuser1234 wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

i just looked up stronglifts and im pretty skeptical. honestly, i dont see how you can keep improving at the rate he claims just doing these 3 exercises 3x a week. maybe you can shed some more light on this program

the idea presumes that you are relatively new to strength training and thus have a lot of untapped potential. it also somewhat assumes that you underestimate your potential. its not uncommon for people to try to go super heavy straight out, but then they tend to use poor form and/or eventually injure themselves and/or burn out. the idea is that you use a more comfortable weight that is still challenging yet will make it more manageable to keep proper form. thus, as you gradually increase weight, you will still be reinforcing the proper neural patterns of using proper form. of course, you can't keep adding weight indefinitely. I've read the site before and it even mentions this. the approach is mainly designed to let you ease into your potential at a fairly progressive pace while making a strong habit of using proper form. its actually pretty straightforward, its just that a lot of people forego common sense with this type of thing.

the same principles apply to bodyweight strength training, only instead of adding weight, you will decrease leverage and eventually move on to a harder exercise all together. for example, you can do tuck back levers, then flat tuck, then straddle, then half lay (hips straight knees bent), then full back lever. after you're comfortable with that, you can really start focusing on the front lever.

f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newuser1234 wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about this "milk" program, but I have been drinking a lot of chocolate milk this semester and have seen noticeable improvements in arm strength despite limited time in the weight room. So I'm not sure what's working...but I'll take it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: