ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
No Love for the Guitar Hero Vocalists
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Y2Grae  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: No Love for the Guitar Hero Vocalists Reply with quote

I'm getting sick and tired really.

After latest "you would own at rock band" comment on my youtube vids, i've nearly reached breaking point.

When i got GH:WT there was one name at the top:

16.4million - Bananenbrot. Clear by a long long way.
He was top of overall band for quite some time.

I looked up to him, said if i could get 2nd close to him, i'd be proud. So i worked my socks off learning the nuances to the game, the activating late, the freeforms, the gaining sp from each phrase etc.

I climbed to 2nd, and with some encouraging help from other vocalists around me, was able to pass him. Till Kixxer (BOYOBOYY ) came along and really challenged me for every song. We'd battle and songs would go back and forth, usually with him trumping me by a bit.

Now take into account Matt GuitarHero (top 5 on WT and 1st on Metallica), Madlocustrising, and teddybear all broke 14million.
(this is xbox alone, i know there are good vocalists on the other systems too)

In recent tussle MisguidedGirl beat me on WT expert vocals, and Guitar Hailz is 2nd(at time of print) on Metallica. BrianBAM and Airshock too are very strong vocalists.

I've seen some of the RB vocal "superstars" on the GH scoreboards and i have to say i am unimpressed by the results. Yet they are treated in the vocal equivalent of GuitarPhenom, jameslikecrazy or ShonSuperStar.

dramacomic wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with you Hailz. I am no singing virtuoso at all and while there are a few songs that are on the higher end of the difficulty scale, there really shouldn't be any reason why I have the only full game vox FCs on scorehero for GHWT and GHM, given the immense amount of vocal talent displayed on the RB leaderboards. (Granted, there aren't as many vocalists on the GH side since most people prefer the RB system... at least the RB2 system since the talkies aren't as harsh and the pie is easier to decipher than the colored flashes, but that's not what this topic is about).

well i have a near full game FC on ghwt (career score 17million) and have 22 FCs so far on Metallica.
I take offense to the "given the immense amount of talent on the RB leaderboards"

I dont want to play a vocals system where the top people all have the same score (non Freeform songs in Metallica will lead to this )
I dont want to play a vocals system where i can activate star power when it says i can, i LIKE being in control of it.
I want a scoring system more like WT where someone who hit 99% of a phrase would get more points than someone hitting 92%

But most importantly, (and not just me, cos i'm not THE best)

but let's give the Guitar Hero Singers credit.

Quote me "comparing RB to GH vocals is like comparing snap to omaha hi/lo"
richjohnny  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the games is like comparing Coke to Pepsi. They are both very good and everyone has their preference to which is better.

If people prefer Rock Band's Vocals, then they should just keep it that way, and not force people into Guitar Hero, and vice versa.

Rock Band's vocals is just easier, thats why people prefer it really.

It is really such a task to get 100% on the Guitar Hero games, you don't have anything that tells you how you're going in each of the phrases.

But I agree, give the Guitar Hero Vocallists some credit, the songs are really tough.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Big JAG 2004 PSN Name: BigJAG2004 Wii Friend Code: 2005404297973581 ICQ Number
Y2Grae  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At no point am i forcing anyone into Guitar Hero,

and thank you for your comments about the songs being tough.

Its just dissapointing to find the people getting more credit are those that do well at the generally concieved easier game than the harder one.
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a case much like drums. Since Rock Band came out first, just about anybody interested in singing or drumming flocked to it. When World Tour came out with very different systems (of singing and drumming), many of these people who had were already plaing RB didn't make the switch.

I personally like Rock Band's drumming and singing better than GH's. However, I was far more impressed when I heard someone had gotten a FGFC in GH since I know how incredibly difficult that would be to do (whereas hundreds have done it in Rock Band). I can also see how being able to activate SP whenever you want to be a more ideal situation. I don't however, like freeform sections because in order to maximize points you're doing something that no singer would do in a live performance (right in the middle of an instrumental break you're going to slowly sing scales?).

Bottom line, the ability to do well in GH is more impressive than doing it in Rock Band (although that to is very impressive), but since there are more people into Rock Band vocals, it gets more notice. Rock Band drummers and bassists get more notice too.
Bananenbrot  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i like about world tour is that it s much more about singing the right pitch than perfect sp activation. unfortunately this changed with metallica. they kept the freeforms but abandoned the motivating system that singing 91% of a pitch actually nets you 91% of the possible score. it s simply lame when the top 7 scores on beautiful mourning are all the same: 141k. there is no reason for me to sing this song ever again after reaching the optimal score... well, at least there is less reason as the song is actually fun to sing to.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: uR Bananenbrot
DeusExProcella  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH5 doesn't have freestyles. Woo or Noo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No Love for the Guitar Hero Vocalists Reply with quote

Y2Grae wrote:
lots of stuff

Dude, I definitely feel your pain.

First, a disclaimer:

I love Rock Band and playing Rock Band vocals. It was obviously my first vocal game and I worked VERY hard to FC songs on RB1. RB2 came as much less of a challenge, which frankly disappointed me.

NO I don't think RB2 is easy. But the SH view of vocalists is so warped its downright frustrating. On the RB side, if you don't have a FGFC, you suck (which is utter bullshit). And on the GH side, nobody gives a shit. Why is this? Is it because all of the RB vocalists tried GH once, said "too hard" and gave up? Or is it the different skillset required to excell at it? Why are GH vocalists looked down upon because freeforms exist in the game?

I'll admit I've had trouble getting into GHWT vocals in a competitive way because it was just so many songs, and I just got tired of trying. I have an immense amount of respect for people who have discovered the strategies and secrets to destroy that game (and even more respect for people who share them with the intentions to better the community).

Metallica was different for me, though. It may be harder to FC songs in Metallica, but it's that much more rewarding. I'm 6 songs away from a FGFC on that game, and replaying some of the songs I say to myself almost every time "how did I ever FC this..." If more of the RB talent (I'm not putting down the RB vocalists, because I know many of them do really have excellent singing voices) came over to GH, we'd have a more diverse playing field. I know Brian and others can catch me on SH, but it hasn't happened yet and that's really too bad. At least on the XBL leaderboards I'm having a fun little back and forth with MattGuitarHero. ;P

Lets just suffice to say that excelling at Rock Band and excelling at Guitar Hero are 2 very different skills. It was no cake walk to achieve top 10 on RB1. I worked on my squeezing a LOT. I eventually made it to 9th, and I haven't lost that rank yet (which is telling of how hard it was to get...).

But to say that people at the top of the RB leaderboards are the greatest singers? That, I don't know. Guitar Hero added in freeforms, which still takes a knowledge of correct notes and such, so really I believe that the best singers really ARE at the top, because you simply couldn't just "squeak by" and be top 10.

But yeah, I really wish that GH vocalists were given a little more credit. I'm hoping this will change with Smash Hits, since everybody knows the songs there's no excuse not to sing them! And with GH5, where freeforms don't exist..... the RB vocalists can't use the "freeforms break the leaderboards!" excuse. ;)

No disrespect meant to either game/vocalist, so I hope nothing in this post is taken as such.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a shorthand version of this because I first didn't feel like posting this long version...but meh, here's what I was trying to say at first.

Prong makes good points. I think people who got into drumming, singing, and playing bass in rhythm games went to RB, simply because that came first(by over a year), and they grew to like RB so much that they just prefer it over GH. From what I've seen around SH, this side of the forums is still very guitar-centered(not surprisingly), and I rarely see any accomplishments posted about bass, drums, or vocals. The RB side has a good mix of all of the instruments getting attention.

As for the vocals, well, again, because RB came first by over a year with singing, nearly all of the singers(myself included) went to RB. RB's just grown to be the more popular engine and game for singers, hence why they would get more recognition. It just gets more attention. I'd be willing to bet if GH was the more popular game for vocalists, then things would be reversed.

Why do people prefer RB so much over GH? Again, I think it's because RB came first by a long while, people grew to love that, and it's just more preferred. I've also seen a lot of negative response to freeform sections, and as richjohnny said, RB has an easier engine, it's far more forgiving than GH. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people who have tried GH's engine just simply got frustrated with it, and in turn stopped playing on it, because it's so strict. Also, just because GH's engine is stricter doesn't mean RB is a cakewalk. RB has a ton of hard songs as well, both on-disc(Alive, TUiB, Spoonman, UU, OWOA, etc.) and DLC(All Right Now, They're Red Hot, AC/DC songs, Doin' That Rag).

I guess I've said enough as to why people don't prefer GH, I guess I should say why people would prefer GH. Why did I start playing Metallica vocals? I got tired of RB vocals, honestly. I didn't feel like there was anything else left in RB and RB2 that I wanted to do. I had 57 FC's on RB1, but I didn't feel like messing with the "ow" in Next to You, because it feels impossible to me. I FGFC'd RB2 on vocals, so all that was left for me to do was start squeezing vocals, which I can't stand. I prefer the strictness of GH vocals, but I like the challenge it presents. I don't care for freeforms myself, and I'm glad to hear they won't be around in GH5(if what I've heard is right). I started with WT, but I disliked the vocal system there. I got into Metallica because a) Metallica is one of my favorite bands, and the setlist is awesome, and b) the vocal engine appeals to me more than WT's did. Basically, to me there's pros and cons to both engines, and I like singing on both.

Lastly, there's plenty of singing talent on both sides of SH, the talent just happens to be in fewer numbers on this side, sadly. Just because there's a lot of talent on the RB side doesn't mean that there's no talent here, because I'm sure there's plenty.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaand Hailz basically beat me to the punch on all of my points.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.

Last edited by BrianBAM19 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
Thirdkoopa  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianBAM19 wrote:
*Long post here* Just because there's a lot of talent on the RB side doesn't mean that there's no talent here, because I'm sure there's plenty.

Hi I came.

I'm basically thinking with this and prong, but I'll sum my views up shortly:
This thread was about vocalists not getting noticed right? Well, I guess It's mainly because with guitar hero, it started on guitar, and rock band well...Already did the vocal thing. If per say it was Vocal Hero and guitar got added in, the same questions would whereabout on that.

That and the vocal engine for various reasons steers away a lot of people.

Kinda came out odd, but yeah. GH Just isn't quite popular (At least yet) With vocalists.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think singing in RB is less about competition but more about fun. I'm a occasional singer and I prefer RB's system. I like making noise in the Overdrive sections, I like the tambourine/cowball/clapping sections. In GH:WT you have to yell unnaturally in different scales in those strange freefill sections instead, doesn't make fun/sense in my opinion (and you can cheat on that system by playing on a keyboard).
Bananenbrot  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can cheat on that system by playing on a keyboard as much as you can cheat by playing the whole vocals with it. i dont think it gives you much of an advantage as ive never used it and im still holding up well on the leaderboards though havent played for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: uR Bananenbrot
toymachine  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think GHWT/GHM vocalists are very underrated and I still can't believe my friend FCd Alabatross (on 360) ahahaha.

Also I think that the GH Vocals are so misunderstood. The instant people realized it wasn't like RB we go a while slew of:

"THESE VOCALS ARE BROKEN"
"THESE VOCALS SUCK"
"TOO HARD NEVERSOFT FAILS"

So now in GH5 it looks like it's RB vocals except the fact that to get an excellent the bar doesn't fill up all the way?

Guess we will have to wait and see.

Sorry but I don't have much to say besides what Hailz and BrianBAM already stated but I would like to point out- it would be nice if top vocalists shared their FF section techniques on certain songs (on video).
dramacomic  
Neversoft QA
Neversoft QA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: No Love for the Guitar Hero Vocalists Reply with quote

Well just to clarify...

Y2Grae wrote:
dramacomic wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with you Hailz. I am no singing virtuoso at all and while there are a few songs that are on the higher end of the difficulty scale, there really shouldn't be any reason why I have the only full game vox FCs on scorehero for GHWT and GHM, given the immense amount of vocal talent displayed on the RB leaderboards. (Granted, there aren't as many vocalists on the GH side since most people prefer the RB system... at least the RB2 system since the talkies aren't as harsh and the pie is easier to decipher than the colored flashes, but that's not what this topic is about).

well i have a near full game FC on ghwt (career score 17million) and have 22 FCs so far on Metallica.
I take offense to the "given the immense amount of talent on the RB leaderboards"

I did not intend for that to mean that the GH leaderboards are without talent, and you are certainly more than sufficient proof of this (17 million on WT?? you are insane, and I mean that in a good way). I just found it surprising that there are hundreds of full game FCs out there for the RB games and barely a handful of those people even attempted to go for it on the GH games. Hailz and many others have kinda tried to tease out the idea that this might be due to PS2/Wii being inexplicably easier than 360/PS3 vox for WT and GHM, but also mostly it's probably due to FCs in WT not giving people 100%'s, but with GHM obviously this is starting to change, and with future games I can definitely see an increasing vox trend on this side of the site (at least until the Beatles game ).

Anyways, if my comment did offend you in any way please accept my apologies, as I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of the people currently on scorehero's top 10 GHvox standings, and I think they should all be praised way more than they currently are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dramacomic - thank you for the apology. It wasnt so much the comment itself being major, more the straw that broke the camel's back.

As for sharing the "secrets". We already have, there are 2 pages full of notes to hit in freeforms covering both games expansively.

Hit as many of them and hold em til the multiplyer goes up.

Its what i've been doing since i discovered certain notes gained points in the freeforms.

I've also stated on previous thread here once that "come talk to me/us" yet not one person has pm'd or messaged anyother way. I'll willingly discuss, and maybe find a way to see what you are doing and where i can offer what i would deem help.

Am 2nd on world tour vocals(17mil), 2nd on world tour overall band (200million) and currently on gh:M i've broken 10million and am 89% through career with some sightreads and 22FCs to my name.

Sorry to sound out of order, but surely doing what i did and either asking people, reading and working out how to do it and testing your theories is going to be more condusive than just saying "they dont share"

i get xbox messages saying "wow" and "you're good" from random people who then never follow anything up.
toymachine  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I understand we have a bunch of vocal keys and scales listed but that doesn't really mean anything to me.

I want to see a VIDEO.

That's all I'm saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: