Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Band Hero drum kit
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: The Band Hero drum kit Reply with quote

First review:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/102/1029743p1.html

So it looks like the new drumset will be a wii exclusive for a while, while XBOX and PS3 Band Hero is being shipped with the old drumset. ewww

Quote:
"When the game launches this November, the drum kit will be available as part of the Band Hero Super Bundle for the Nintendo Wii and will remain exclusive to the Wii until Xbox 360 and PlayStation variations are released later this year. In the meantime, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Band Hero Super Bundles will include the Guitar Hero World Tour drum set."

Sounds like those bundles aren't so "super" after all.

(Original design for comparison)

http://kotaku.com/5315787/guitar-hero-5-gets-new-drums-24-new-tracks

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/06/guitar-hero-5s-drums-getting-a-rock-band-makeover/
Ross Miller from Engadget wrote:
Looks like that bulky Guitar Hero World Tour drumset might be getting itself an extreme makeover in time for the launch of Guitar Hero 5. According to our source, the blurred render above is the newest plastic percussion peripheral, and while functionality remains the same, it's moved the control console to the forefront, given the cymbals a more well-rounded existence, and done away with some of that body, particularly on the top and on the stand -- all in a all, a much more Rock Band look, if we do say so ourselves. The back of the unit contains three mini ports -- two for kick pedals, and one ever mysterious black mini jack. Yeah, Rock Band's drums have that mysterious unused port, too, and who knows what nefarious needs either will serve. What's suspicious is that it's two months before GH5's release and we still haven't seen this officially, whereas the previous set was ceremoniously unveiled almost six months prior to GHWT's launch -- not that we wouldn't put it past Activision to keep it under lock and key for now, but why not let its newfound beauty shine?

While keeping with the same basic layout, a number of changes are apparant. Other than the ones listed in the article, I also noticed a cross bar near the pedal which could be used to stop the pedal from sliding around. I don't think I like the big square control box in front, but with the current layout, it would be hard to put it anywhere else I guess.

Here's a few more shots of the drum stick holders and underneath the pad.

Last edited by BriGuy on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:50 pm; edited 9 times in total
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad that the freaking pedal doesn't move around anymore (the bass pedal just refuses to stay velcroed to my carpet which is made of a very odd material). That should be a lot easier for Expert+, anyway

I'm not thrilled about the idea of shelling out so much money for another drumset, though. I'll have to see what happens with it... Looks pretty nice, though. Reminds me of IONs, and that's good

Oh, and the stand looks sturdier, too. I hope so... my WT kit wobbles around a lot

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs

Last edited by yksi-kaksi-kolme on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm skeptical, because Neversoft made a point to mention that it would be less likely that you'd hit the control box on the WT kit because it was up top, and then they move it down? I don't think so. I think it's better up there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No MIDI port according to the report as well. That would be a huge drawback. Good thing I got a WT kit...
ThunderPower  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No MIDI port? Bottom bar that ultimately causes the entire set to move if the pedal is on it? Controls at the bottom? Sliding drumstick holders?

I'll stick with my WT kit.
Thirdkoopa  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts: (Considering this is real)
-Depending on the pads, could be a huge plus to it.
-Wireless Foot Pedals, a plus, but I already eat up a huge ammount of batteries with two guitars and a drumset. IMAGINE How much would be eaten up using batteries foot pedals, a drumset, and two guitars...Meh.
-A bar? Could be good, I mean, It stopped the RB Problems, but I can just have a rugmat to keep it in place.
-Full Cymbals? Oh that's a plus now. My WT Drums just feel so awkward, I wish I could officially make them full cymbals, personally.
-The selection stuff in the front? Good, but for casual players who are not so bright with there drumset's...Idk.
-MIDI Support lost? Eh...Not so bright. At least I got me WT Kit.

It overall may look like It's a better drumset for any just playing this for Guitar Hero, but for overall for using it as an electronic one, meh, most of the improvements can already be done VIA Modding.

I just wish I could get full cymbals officially, and maybe a bit more skinnier like RB's, or at least some easy way, but W/E. It'll be better than WT's probably, but I don't justify it as enough for me to buy (Even If I can just use my regular foot pedals) Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt that the foot pedal is wireless.

1. More Batteries =
2. There are 2 drum pedals ports on the set. If it came with a wireless pedal, wouldn't it just need one for double bass?
3. OH MY GOD THE LAG. Could you imagine having a defective bass pedal that lags itself? Drumming becomes impossible.
4. Manufacturing costs. All of that work on a wireless pedal would raise the price of the drumset, which is already large.
5. Logic. Using wireless communication for just one piezo sensor is very wasteful and just plain illogical.

The pedal only looks like it doesn't have a cord because it is very blurry and it is on a black background.

Also, I see Red Octane using some similar design elements in this kit. Such as the "brain in a box" idea for the WT drums. All WT drums for all consoles were similar. The only part that made them different was the brain. This cuts down on costs, as they don't have to make a specific Wii version of the drum shell. Theoretically, the black box at the bottom could come off just as easily.

With the control box being in the middle, it seems that the box is under the blue pad, rather than in front of it. I don't think accidental control-box hits will be happening, unless you jab under the blue pad. Although I believe drumming with a wired headset is nearly impossible already, drumming with a wired headset on the WT kit WAS impossible. The headset port had no business being up there, and no wired headset reaches that far. At least with this kit, you have the option to use it. (Although, if you want to talk on drums, you might as well go wireless.)

Branching the base of in more of an X shape gives the stand some more stability. WT sets have been known to wobble, and this fixes the problem. However, with the base pedal now appearing to lock onto the lowered support bar, this might bring a common problem of Rock Band kits - Moving the drums with kicking. Which one is the lesser of two evils? I though WT's pedal fared well on hard surfaces, whereas RB's pedal slides the kit around. Likewise, WT's pedal doesn't stick too well with the velcro, and it slides more on carpet, whereas the Rock Band kit is more stable for carpet. Both kits can be aided with a plastic floor mats or carpet rugs.

I think it is a 50/50 tossup on the MIDI port. On one hand, only the hardcore used it (except for the tuning kit) for e-drums. On the other, it allowed the GH:WT controller to be "tuned" to perfection, and it gave people endless possibilities for their kit.

On the official GH forums, one member pointed out that it looks like cymbal stands can rotate, meaning you could theoretically set it up in a YRBOG, RYBGO, or YRBGO setup. Then again, that seems unlikely, as moving parts would be costly, and a YRBOG setup would be awkward to play on a RYBOG lane (If the options menu let you switch it, then it might work)

All of these words over some blurry photo that some jackass might have just made in photoshop in 15 minutes. Who knows? Although, official word would be nice right about now.
ND1310  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks okay, but i'll just stick with the ion kit i'm getting for my birthday (19 days!)
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, unless the 2 round cymbols & the foot pedal attached to the frame, isnt anything else different ?

its an upped version of the WT Kit with fixed mistake. sounds good to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Cabanon
purplee  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice, a huge improvement (based on the cymbals + food pedal thingy). However, why would they take away midi support? And I still don't understand why any part of the drums needs to be wireless! I don't know of anyone drumming 20m away from the tv/xbox or moving around while drumming! It seems pointless, and can only cause (some) lag, a waste of batteries, and connectivity issues.

Aw well.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Some_Guy4607 Wii Friend Code: 395252611158
richjohnny  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Midi port? Thats utter dissapointment.

I just hope to god my kit doesn't break down then. I prefer the real deal over the plastic crap.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Big JAG 2004 PSN Name: BigJAG2004 Wii Friend Code: 2005404297973581 ICQ Number
Blackadder18  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they've taken away MIDI support, I believe 1 of 2 scenarios may have happened.

1) Their source doesn't know what a MIDI port looks like and therefore believes it's mysterious.

2) Pre-Release kits don't have a MIDI port on them.

Also remember this isn't confirmed, it could just be a fake made to rouse up communities like ours.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Blackadder18
Blackadder18  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to double post, but I think it's worth it.

(Moderator edit: Pictures lovingly stolen for the OP. Thank you! -BriGuy)

Looking very good.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Blackadder18
BucketBlue  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, new drum kit is looking pretty awesome. Only thing I hope for it is that the height adjusting thing will actually stay in place and not slip.

Chaosxreigns  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who instantly thought "Hey, those look like IONs" when I saw the first pics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: