Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Windows 7 pricing available
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickles  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Windows 7 pricing available Reply with quote

http://pc.ign.com/articles/998/998439p1.html

I know right ign? wierd.
Quote:

June 25, 2009 - Microsoft announced pricing for Windows 7 today, its upcoming operating system that is scheduled to be released on October 22. The news was released on The Windows Blog, and Microsoft provided the pricing scheme for all three versions of Windows, including full and upgrade prices. The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium package in the United States is $199.99; Windows 7 Professional is $299.99; Windows 7 Ultimate is $319.99. If you currently own Windows Vista or XP and are looking to upgrade, there are reduced upgrade prices: Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade is $119.99; Windows 7 Professional upgrade is $199.99; and Windows 7 Ultimate is $219.99. This upgrade price is approximately 10-percent cheaper upgrades for earlier versions of Windows.

Microsoft also announced a special preorder for US, Canadian, and Japanese customers which allows them the opportunity to pre-order Windows 7 at a significant discount. Starting tomorrow, customers in these three countries will be able to pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99 or Windows 7 Professional for $99.99. This pre-order program will run from June 26 to July 5 in Japan and June 26 to July 11 in the United States and Canada. UK, French, and German customers will have to wait until July 15 through August 14 to take advantage of the deals, although there was no pricing listed for those countries.

Additionally, there was an announcement for customers who purchase new computers before Windows 7 is released. Similar to the upgrade option program that existed for Vista, Microsoft announced that starting on June 26, anyone who purchases a computer with Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate will receive an upgrade to the corresponding Windows 7 version at little or no cost. This upgrade program is a global program that will run until January 31, 2010.

Finally, the timetable for Windows 7 to be released in 35 separate languages has been shortened to almost a week, as October 22 will see a release in 14 languages, with a further 21 to be released nine days later on October 31.

I am gonna preorder it for the discount. I don't even have a computer to install it too I just know I oughta save the $150 bucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a rip off. Just download linux for free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger PSN Name: iamalwayssto
Kelsin  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 pricing available Reply with quote

Quote:

Finally, the timetable for Windows 7 to be released in 35 separate languages has been shortened to almost a week, as October 22 will see a release in 14 languages, with a further 21 to be released nine days later on October 31.

And we, Releash Candidate users have it for free nutil march 2010!? Schweet!
Besides, that's a hell of a discount O_O
fUNC  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle99 wrote:
Wow, what a rip off. Just download linux for free.

If it isn't a) something the general public already knows about or b) as simple as a big, giant button, the public will rarely go for it. I believe there is a well-researched study on this somewhere.

Re: pricing- seems pretty typical. They're not adding an extra $50 to the cost, which is the only thing that really would've deterred people from getting it. Judging from the beta, I think we'll see in-store copies of Vista disappear pretty fast.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm proud to still operate Windows XP. It's the best so far. However, that is a very, very good deal.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was on Slickdeals earlier this morning, but that thread gave the impression that the $49.99 deal was for existing upgrades only. It was hashed out pretty well in that thread that you need an existing XP or Vista OS for that preorder to work...but if not, hell, I'm not complaining. I'm getting a new computer in a few weeks and a $49.99 price tag for my OS would be pretty sweet (once the RC expires, of course).

If anybody can shed some light on this...that'd be awesome.
joerod  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope RC1 users can use this. >_>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 Full Retail

Home Premium $199.99
Professional $299.99
Ultimate $319.99

Windows 7 Upgrade (XP or Vista previously installed)

Home Premium $119.99 (Pre-order: $49.99)
Professional $199.99 (Pre-order: $99.99)
Ultimate $219.99

There's your breakdown. The Upgrade doesn't work for Windows 7 RC. You have to have a licensed copy of XP or Vista installed from what I've read.

OEM pricing hasn't been announced, but expect them to be a little more than the Upgrade versions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wild, who would be willing to pay for another Windows operating system after what they did with Vista? They should fix that before trying to force users to pay for a working operating system. Talk about a scam if I ever saw one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone please explain why upgrading to this operating system from XP justifies that price? If it is really that much better, I might get it when I get a new laptop for college. Currently, I'm looking at XP Professional as my top pick.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the upgrade price is a answer to the new mac os, i think it'll be sold aroun 30-50$. thats cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximusDM wrote:
This is wild, who would be willing to pay for another Windows operating system after what they did with Vista? They should fix that before trying to force users to pay for a working operating system. Talk about a scam if I ever saw one.

Well, nobody is forcing you to buy it, but I can assure you that Windows 7 is by far the best OS I've used, it's simple, clear, easy to use, fast, reliable, almost bug/glitch free and fully compatible.
So yeah if I were you, I'd consider putting 49.99 in an update pack.
burnfastordie  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think its worth upgrading from vista 64 bit to windows 7? And whats the difference between home and professional?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: A7xmetal182
muna  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnfastordie wrote:
Do you think its worth upgrading from vista 64 bit to windows 7? And whats the difference between home and professional?

I don't know about the difference between home and proffesional, but a little research should find you that answer quickly.

From what I have heard, Windows 7, is significantly better than Vista. I haven't downloaded the RC and probably won't, but everybody who has used it is very happy with it, and we can probably expect improvements from the RC to the final version. For the relatively cheap pre-order price, I would say it'w worth it. I am running Vista and will probably upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 prices were supposed to inspire me to want to get the next version, but why would I pay $120 when my current OS works just fine for games? That's the only reason I keep Windows on my machine anyways, Ubuntu serves me fine for everything else. When I spend that much money it's got to be something I'm excited to own, not just a step up from what I have now.

(I say "$120" because I'm not going to pre-order this thing, I want to see how it reacts in the wild before I would get it.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: