ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Metal Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSnatch  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aloneinthedark wrote:
toddles822 wrote:
I'm just starting to look at new bands, and I came across Norther. All you Norther fans out there, what would be a good album to start with? Thanks for the help
Mirror of Madness for sure.

You will also like Children of Bodom and Kalmah if you don't know about them already.

Also, try Ensiferum's 2007 album, 'Victoy Songs' Petri Lindoos was the lead singer of Norther and now he is the singer for Ensiferum.

I'll just break this down in simple terms instead of paragraph form:

Petri Lindoos = Former lead of Norther and current Lead of Ensiferum
Norther & New Ensiferum = Awesome
Old Ensiferum = Does not have Petri Lindoos
Old Ensiferum = Jari Maenpaa
Old Ensiferum = Awesome
Jari Maenpaa = IS Wintersun
Wintersun = Awesome

There is more to this little geneology.
Well, no, not really. See, with the banana, you have the choice to eat it soon after buying it, avoiding the rotting situation and enjoying some tasty food while it's fresh. The situation with Bat Country, on the other hand, is venting over an inevitability. It's more like "Death, taxes, and 12-year-olds overplaying Avenged Sevenfold songs online."
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that was a cool little story, I enjoyed that very much. It reminds me of when a few of my brother's friends came over (they're 14) and one of them said he liked metal and I replied I did as well. He then asked me if I like Dimmu Borgir, to which I replied "they're alright, but Darkthrone are better" and he had never heard of them before, so I made him listen to it, but I don't think he liked it.

rofl @ Jack Daniels & Pizza. It's the first song on Retaliation and is 55 seconds of someone throwing up. Carnivore sound like an amalgam of early Type O, Misfits, and Voivod. The crossover sound is mixed with doom and NWOBHM making for an interesting listen, but the lyrics are the absolute best part.

And send your strongest effort, although lyrics don't really matter outside of prog and doom

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
D0m0omod  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
Heh, that was a cool little story, I enjoyed that very much. It reminds me of when a few of my brother's friends came over (they're 14) and one of them said he liked metal and I replied I did as well. He then asked me if I like Dimmu Borgir, to which I replied "they're alright, but Darkthrone are better" and he had never heard of them before, so I made him listen to it, but I don't think he liked it.

rofl @ Jack Daniels & Pizza. It's the first song on Retaliation and is 55 seconds of someone throwing up. Carnivore sound like an amalgam of early Type O, Misfits, and Voivod. The crossover sound is mixed with doom and NWOBHM making for an interesting listen, but the lyrics are the absolute best part.

And send your strongest effort, although lyrics don't really matter outside of prog and doom

I figured a song called Jack Daniels & Pizza would be either ridiculous, or not a song at all. I'll have to hear them first before buying, because what you described doesn't have me all too excited (but I will give them a chance.)

As for my songs, they are still works in progress and I'm just looking for feedback. I have no one in my band right now, so I have no one else's input or influence but I like the way some of these are turning out. I wrote them as I was discovering bands like Death, Sodom, and Possessed, so they have a dark after-taste but I'm aiming for a traditional metal sound. It's too hard to explain, so I'll just shut up and send the songs.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... My mom just sent me the album Helstar - The King of Hell

I'd check it out, it is really good.
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo wrote:
So... My mom just sent me the album Helstar - The King of Hell

I'd check it out, it is really good.

How did you get that, it doesn't come out til the 26th.

/me is jealous

Found this great little Bay Area thrash band called Ulysses Siren who only released 2 demos in the 80's, but the label reissued them on one CD in 2003. Check them out, they're incredible.

Lake Of Fire
No Trace Of Shame (best riffs on the album)

Warnar wrote:
migthegreek  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw in my opinion, I love the 80's. It was all just the best. I like thrash to even hair metal. The whole decade was just made for guitar.
DarkDucky  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if they've been mentioned here before, but I just found out about a band called Anata. They're a sorta technical death metal band, and they're fucking AMAZING. I love their album 'The Conductor's Departure' SOO MUCH.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ OMG I love Anata. My favourite album was Under A Stone With No Inscription. Too bad their guitarist left the band, but they are recording a new album, so I assume the singer/guitarist is capable of playing as well as Andreas did.

Warnar wrote:
D0m0omod  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just saw some of the videos for the Peace Sells album available on Rock Band 2 and felt:
1. Angry that the Rock Band series has been getting all the good songs I want to play (Clouds Over California, Painkiller, Peace Sells album.)
2. Upset that I'm limited to whatever they decide to put in these games (or so I thought.)

I have decided to pick up guitar. I was planning on playing bass but that's only because I didn't think I could play guitar. I'm currently watching a black-metallic Kramer Vanguard on ebay and I plan on buying it within 2 weeks. I looked around for other guitars before choosing the Vanguard but couldn't find any I liked as much. I checked all the BC Rich guitars everyone shits over but the radical shapes were cool for about a minute. I've never been fond of the classic styles either like the Les Paul, Strat. or Explorer.

Anyway, last night, as I was arranging my cds in chronological order (don't like it, bad idea), I checked the wikipedia article for release dates from Atheist. To my surprise I see that an untitled new album is set for a 2009 release date. So let's recap: Possessed is back, Exumer's back, and now Atheist? What's next, is Chuck Schuldiner going to rise from the dead? I think Destruction has a new album coming out soon too. It's as if all these old metal giants are being forced back into the metal scene to clean up the mess the 2000's made. My only complaint is that there will be too many cds to buy.

*Slightly off-topic* The future of my cd collection thread is looking grim. In addition to purchasing the Kramer Vanguard I have also decided to finally buy a pair of the Nike Hyperdunks with the McFly colorway. Only 350 pairs were made with that colorway, making the price ridiculous (for shoes, anyway.) I'm planning on buying a size 10 for close to $650. These are more than shoes to me. In '91 I promised myself I'd have those shoes (that was before they existed) and now they're staring me in the face, so the price is small compared to how I'll feel actually having them (they won't be for casual wear either.) After I buy the shoes and guitar I plan on strictly saving my money for a car (a Delorean you can probably tell I REALLY like Back to the Future), thus enabling me to go back to college. No one thinks I can get that car and no one thinks I can start a band either. It's about fucking time I start proving people wrong.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
reikonkeiri  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, check out this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktuWC9ZXdkY

This is my favorite metalcore (shut up haters) song ever. Nothing I have ever heard in the history of music compares to that chorus.

For all you lazys out there, its "A Threnody for Modern Romance" by It Dies Today.
DarkDucky  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody here heard of a band called Epicurean?

They're a pretty unique melodic death metal band. They're one of the bands that mixes harsh vocals with clean. The harsh vocal parts are pretty average melodeath (which is never a bad thing), but their clean vocals are really unique. They have a sorta poppy sound to them, which I've never heard used in metal before. At first it was kinda annoying, but I grew accustomed to it, and now I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0m0omod wrote:
Anyway, last night, as I was arranging my cds in chronological order (don't like it, bad idea), I checked the wikipedia article for release dates from Atheist. To my surprise I see that an untitled new album is set for a 2009 release date. So let's recap: Possessed is back, Exumer's back, and now Atheist? What's next, is Chuck Schuldiner going to rise from the dead? I think Destruction has a new album coming out soon too. It's as if all these old metal giants are being forced back into the metal scene to clean up the mess the 2000's made. My only complaint is that there will be too many cds to buy.

Don't forget Cynic, Helstar, and wtf, Pestilence are back too? I just was looking up their MA site since both Cynic and Atheist are back, and it said Patrick Mameli was reforming them. Got this from their myspace

Quote:
Patrick Mameli is currently working on new material which he has described as a modern mixture of "Testimony of the Ancients" (1991) and "Consuming Impulse" (1989), more technical and brutal than all previous albums. The group will enter Jacob Hansen Studio in October to record the new album entitled "Resurrection Macabre". The album is set to be released in the beginning of 2009!

Pestilence will also be touring in 2009! Playing new material as well as the older stuff!

and this: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=402821294&blogID=433161342

Warnar wrote:

Last edited by tornintwo on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any Dimmu fans here so far ive listened to some of their songs and for some reason Puritania sounds heavier than all of them is ther such thing as Norwegian Black Metal Prog LOL?! almost all of there songs are 5 mins

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
aloneinthedark  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
D0m0omod wrote:

Don't forget Cynic, Helstar, and wtf, Pestilence are back too? I just was looking up their MA site since both Cynic and Atheist are back, and it said Patrick Mameli was reforming them. Got this from their myspace

Quote:
Patrick Mameli is currently working on new material which he has described as a modern mixture of "Testimony of the Ancients" (1991) and "Consuming Impulse" (1989), more technical and brutal than all previous albums. The group will enter Jacob Hansen Studio in October to record the new album entitled "Resurrection Macabre". The album is set to be released in the beginning of 2009!

Pestilence will also be touring in 2009! Playing new material as well as the older stuff!

and this: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=402821294&blogID=433161342
Speaking of Cynic, I'm extremely close to downloading Traced in Air, but I know I have to wait until it's released. I don't think I can last a month.

IMO, Possessed has all new members except the vocalist, they really aren't "back" for me.
skutieos  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love metal. I like everything from Black Sabbath to 1349. 1349 is the best black/death metal band ever. Also, I like Atheist, System of a Down, and many other bands.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 42 of 101

Jump to: