ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
In the Belly of a Guide - How to FC the Beast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkDucky  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: In the Belly of a Guide - How to FC the Beast Reply with quote

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
2. Downloads
3. The Song

I. Intro + Chorus 1
II. Verse 1A
III. Verse 1B
IV. Riff 1 + 2
V. Bass Break
VI. Chorus 2
VII. Solo A + B
VIII. B Section
IX. B Section – Lead
X. Outro

4. Star Power
5. Terms
6. Credits

1. Introduction

Alright, so this is a guide on how to FC the beast known as In the Belly of a Shark. Now, this is by no means an extremely difficult song, but it has a few challenging parts, and most of the song can be very confusing and hard to coordinate. This is why I’m making this guide, to help all of you who are struggling to get an FC of this song.

First things first, I am by no means an amazing player. I have 35 GH3X FCs, ItBoaS being one of my most recent and most difficult out of all of them. None of the strategies I’m giving in this are necessary, but they helped me a lot to get the FC, and they will likely help you as well.

2. Downloads

Actually, there’s only one download. Download and unzip this file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/132732251/In_the_Belly_of_a_Guide.zip.html
It contains a bunch of midis to help you guys with some of the strumming rhythms in the parts of this song, because those are the hardest part.

THE SONG

I. Intro + Chorus 1

This part is moderately challenging, the rhythm can throw you off a little bit, because there are what seem to be random strums, but really they’re not. The strumming follows a very distinct pattern, and to help you out in hearing and being able to play this rhythm, I made a series of clicks in Guitar Pro along to the rhythm you should be strumming. Open up the file itboasintro.mid

Listen to that rhythm, memorize it, and strum along to it whenever you get the chance. Keep practicing it until it becomes almost subconscious, and just finger the notes as they come down, while strumming to that rhythm. Now, there’s one important thing that applies to a majority of this song, and that is that the accent of each bar is on the AND OF 4, not on the 1 like in most songs. For people who don’t understand that, it’s on the last 8th note in each bar. If you STILL don’t get it, listen to the file itboasrhythm.mid, the BASS DRUM is the accented note of each bar.

Now for the fingering. This is relatively simple. You can do it in 1st or 2nd position, whichever you prefer. I like to use 2nd position, but it’s up to you.
1234 = regular note
1234 = strummed note

1st position no slide:

1_1324321_1324_11_1324321_1324_1

1st position pinky slide:

1_1324431_1324_11_1324431_1324_1

2nd position:

1_1214321_1213_11_1214321_1213_1

Simple enough.

Now, there’s another little part that comes up often throughout the song, and it can be pretty challenging if you don’t know how to do it. Basically, it goes like this:

1112_1_1
2224_3_2

Downstrum all those, and you should have no problem. Now, for the first time this happens, it also happens to be a SP phrase, which means WHAMMYING! Now, these holds move by really fast, so of course you’re gonna need to whammy them really fast. Basically what you have to do is quickly strum, and then push down once on the whammy bar as fast as you can. Try to do both of them in one hand motion, for best results. Some good songs to practice this on are Closer and Radio Song, so check those out.

II. Verse 1A

This next part is pretty tricky. Much like the intro, it has a definitive strumming pattern, along with a few hammerons. The strumming pattern can be found in the file itboasverse.mid. Again, listen to it and memorize it. Now here’s the fingering for this part:

1234 = regular fingers
1234 = anchored fingers

21314221314231_ 12131422131421___22
_____________________________3___44

III. Verse 1B

This is an easy part. Filled with chords, so fingering might be an issue, but overall this part is easy. Since I’m too lazy to chart out the rhythm and holds for this part, I’m just gonna put the fingerings for the chords in the order they come:

1 1 1 1 1
3 3 _ 2 3
_ 4 _ 3 4

There’s lots of sliding required, but I find this way to be the easiest way to consistently hit this part.

IV. Riff 1 + 2

This next part is really tricky. First things first, the strumming rhythm can be found in the file itboasverse2.mid. And here’s the fingering (ugh, this is gonna take a long time to make):

1234 = ho/po note
1234 = strummed note

1__214321_4213211_32132112222_3_1__214323_4213211_32143212222_2_1__324321_4213211_32143212222_3_1__324323_2324231_32143212222_2_1
2_______2_______3________3334_4_2_______4_______3________3334_3_2_______2_______3________3334_4_2_______4_______3________3334_3_2

Phew, that was long. Alright, so after this you’ll get a short break.

V. Bass Break

N/A

VI. Chorus 2

Now we’re back into the intro riff. There’s just one small thing different this time around, and it’s important, because you’ll miss a note if you don’t know about it. So here’s the transition from the break into the intro riff:
1234 = ho/po note
1234 = strummed note

1112_1_1_3214321
2224_3_2

The difference here is that the sequence is strummed, when it’s usually a hammeron.

VII. Solo A + B

Now, this solo is pretty tough in that it has a LOT of random strums all over the place. So, I’m gonna give you the fingering for the solo, along with which notes are strummed, although this will probably not help much. Once again, this is all in 2nd position sliding from R to G. This is the easiest way to do solos for most people, but if you’re more comfortable in 1st position, then go ahead and stay in 1st.

(not to scale at ALL)
1234 = ho/po note
1234 = strummed note
1234 = anchored note

34_34_34_34_34_34_3212_1_112_112_11334_34_11112_12_12334_34_4_223_2

23_4_32_1_2121223_4_3212_3223223223223223232334

Just pay attention to which notes are strummed and which aren’t, practice the solo a lot, and you should be able to nail it.

Probably the toughest part of this solo is the part where it goes like this:
]
This part is hard because it starts off as triplets, and turns into 8th notes. The triplets are also hard to coordinate, as the ho/pos and strummed notes can get confusing. Basically what you have to do is strum as loudly as you can, and smack your ring finger on the blue button as hard as you can, so that you can hear exactly when you press them. Press them along with the pattern found in itboassolo.mid. The clicks are strums, and the dings are blue notes. Yes, the first note is both of them at the same time (strum AND hit the blue note), and the noise at the end is the BO thing after. That midi also shows you how the transition from triplets to 8th notes should sound, in case you don’t already know.

NovaXD wrote:
1. For the triplets at the end of the solo, make sure you're grouping them like this in your head:

||| etc.

And NOT like this:

|| etc.

With the former, the pattern begins with the strum, instead of ending with it. I do this with Number of the Beast too, and it's never failed me. Just a way to get the strumming pattern down.

VIII. B Section

This part is REALLY REALLY easy, if you’re having any trouble at all with this part, then frankly, you shouldn’t be going for an FC of this song. Just make sure you don’t overstrum at the beginning when there are breaks between the notes.

IX. B Section – Lead

Again, a REALLY easy part that you should be able to do with no trouble at all. Basically, downstrum everything, and finger it as follows:

And here's an alternate method brought up by ThunderAlex:

Try out both of those in practice mode, and use whichever one you feel more comfortable with.

X. Outro

This part is pretty simple. Basically it repeats this pattern:

d_d__dud__d_d__dud

DON’T be a hero. Don’t try to downstrum the triplets. This is right near the end of the song, you don’t want to risk the possibility of choking here.

Next, there’s a short solo type thing with a ton of 3 note chords, and a small transition that can be moderately tricky. Because of GH3 hammerons, it’s possible to overstrum if you try to strum the notes, so the best way to do it is to use the hammerons. The strumming rhythm is in itboasoutro.mid, and here is the up/downstrumming pattern (with a small amount of chords, not all of them)

dududhddhddudud

To prepare for the transition, you can count the downstrums (while alt strumming) to know when it’s coming up. In total, you should downstrum EIGHT times. After the transition, downstrum 27 times (if you want to strum the , because otherwise you’d be ending on an upstrum, which can be unnatural sometimes).

END SONG

4. Star Power

Just follow the path right here:
http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/gh3-ps2/expert/bellyofashark.no-squeeze.best.png
Don’t try to squeeze anything unless you’ve already FC’d it, and are going for a higher score.

The only activation in that chart that you have to watch out for is the one in the solo (3rd activation). For that one, activate it at different times depending on how well you whammied, because the SP phrases before it are VERY hard to whammy properly. If you think you got it absolutely perfect, then activate it where the chart tells you to. If you think you did decent, but not perfect, then either squeeze the red note, or activate on the yellow hold. If you did really bad, then either squeeze the yellow hold, or activate later on during the hold. Also, don’t quote me on this, but if you don’t whammy at all, you MIGHT be able to activate right at the end of the yellow hold.

5. Terms

If you may be new to this game, or don’t know what any of these terms mean, here they are:

1 – index finger

2 – middle finger

3 – ring finger

4 – pinky finger

1st Position – index finger on green, pinky on blue, other fingers in between

2nd Position – index finger on red, pinky finger on orange, other fingers in between

Activation – activating star power (select OR tilt)

Alt strum – strumming both ways (up and down)

Downstrum – strumming downwards with your thumb

FC – Full Combo, 100% with no overstrums

HO/PO – hammeron/pull-off, a.k.a. a note you don’t have to strum.

ItBoaS – In the Belly of a Shark (obviously you should know this one if you’re reading this guide)

Path – where to activate star power to get the most amount of points possible

SP – Star Power

Squeeze – abusing the timing window to hit extra notes under SP. More thorough explanation here: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6393

6. Credits

Everything: DarkDucky
SP Path: debr
Extra Info for Solo B: NovaXD
Alternate Method for B Section - Lead: ThunderAlex

If anybody uses this guide, just post your thanks in this thread! As well, if anybody has any comments or suggestions on how to make this guide better, let me know in here.

Last edited by DarkDucky on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 7 times in total
Netnabi4  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say I needed this so bad and I want to thank you. You have no clue how much this is gonna help me.
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this would be a good guide right from the photoshopped title. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

Two things to add:

1. For the triplets at the end of the solo, make sure you're grouping them like this in your head:

||| etc.

And NOT like this:

|| etc.

With the former, the pattern begins with the strum, instead of ending with it. I do this with Number of the Beast too, and it's never failed me. Just a way to get the strumming pattern down.

2. Keep in mind that In the Belly of a Shark is, totally and completely, without a doubt, the theme of this dude:

This really, um, helps.

Anyways, great guide.

EDIT: One more thing: I have to respectfully disagree about your advice on the hammer-on in the three note chord section at the end. Personally, I FC it every time and just strum right through with no problems at all. In fact, the only time I've ever had problems with strumming hammer-ons is in Go That Far.

Last edited by NovaXD on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:00 am; edited 2 times in total
ThirstyMonkey  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice guide!

Those sustains look sexy...
DarkDucky  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NovaXD wrote:
I knew this would be a good guide right from the photoshopped title. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

Two things to add:

:Y||| etc.

And NOT like this:

|| etc.

2. Keep in mind that In the Belly of a Shark is, totally and completely, without a doubt, the theme of this dude:

*PICHER*

This really, um, helps.

Anyways, great guide.

EDIT: One more thing: I have to respectfully disagree about your advice on the hammer-on in the three note chord section at the end. Personally, I FC it every time and just strum right through with no problems at all. In fact, the only time I've ever had problems with strumming hammer-ons is in Go That Far.

Alright, I'll add in that first part about the triplets.

And as for the hammeron part, I've had troubles with Go That Far, Cherub Rock, and all sorts of songs, so when I first started going for the ItBoaS FC, I didn't bother trying to strum them. The hamerons are really easy to coordinate once you practice them a bit, and they're generally more reliable than strumming them in GH3.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this was very well done. I never was able to FC this song, hopefully this guide will help.

Here are my suggestions: You should take the pink and yellow out of the Table of Contents; it's kind of obnoxious. Also, none of the links to sound files work, if that's what they were supposed to be.

EDIT: Oh, they weren't links. Gotcha.

BTW, where did you get the freticons with sustain? Could I possibly use those in the future? I'm a guide maker, too.

EDIT 2: Just started practicing the intro, and I FC'ed it almost instantly with help from those midi files. That works amazingly well and was an ingenious idea.

EDIT 3: After about 20 minutes of practice, I tried a real run; 100% with a choke overstrum in the outro, and then FC it 3 runs later. I never thought I would FC this song, but this guide help me immensely. Thank you so much for writing this.

Last edited by TheThirdDay on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:46 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: TheThirdDaySH
Kyuukyuu  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I found those sustain freticons to be much sex. Good guide.
nickolson77  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i fced this song a while back when i played gh3 a lot and this guide is spot on man. good job.
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
BTW, where did you get the freticons with sustain? Could I possibly use those in the future? I'm a guide maker, too.

I checked out his code; those are image files which he uploaded from his Photobucket page. I believe he has a separate image for every chord he needed.

OP, this guide looks absolutely great (except I agree with TheThirdDay about the Table of Contents color), and judging by the results you're already getting, seems to be extremely helpful as well. Including the sound files was an excellent idea; one of the reasons I hate to play this song was that I never could get a handle on the rhythm (especially that Verse 1A). I'll be sure to give this a try.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
northtxhurricane  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always downstrummed the triplets. I always downstrum gallups unless they're too fast in the case of Raining Blood. Alt-strumming them causes me to overstrum 10x more often than downstrumming them causes me to miss.
ThunderAlex  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, great guide, probably one of the best guides here on SH, very helpful. But, there are some things you might correct:
1)
DarkDucky wrote:
DON’T be a hero. Don’t try to downstrum the triplets

In the Outro, aren't triplets, they are gallops. You should fix that.

2)B section-lead:
I fret it like this:
:

You could put that up too, maybe some people will feel more comfortable moving their whole arm like I do

Great guide

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 438237975587
DarkDucky  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderAlex wrote:
Ok, great guide, probably one of the best guides here on SH, very helpful. But, there are some things you might correct:
1)
DarkDucky wrote:
DON’T be a hero. Don’t try to downstrum the triplets

In the Outro, aren't triplets, they are gallops. You should fix that.

2)B section-lead:
I fret it like this:
:

You could put that up too, maybe some people will feel more comfortable moving their whole arm like I do

Great guide

Yeah, I know they're not triplets. I just wrote them as triplets because that's the way most people think about that. Most people will just see 3 notes and automatically assume they're triplets, so I just made it more accessible to people like that (not everybody knows what a gallop is).

Also, I'll add that in as an alternate method for that part.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try some things in this out later.
Thanks.
ShadowDude27  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I sat down, brought up the ItBoaS practice screen, ready to write this guide, and then I saw this topic That's the 3rd guide that's been stolen from me.

I will complement you, however, this is quality work that will help many people out (I didn't get this 5-star until about #55)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the guide. This is really great! I'm going for this song next. I had a -1 run today. The only problem is riffs 1 and 2. I swear those are the hardest parts of the song. The fingering is so fast and weird, especially at the end of riff 2. The rest I can FC pretty consistently, but I almsot never get riffs 1 and 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: