ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Hardest Games Ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samson007 wrote:
Strykerx wrote:
bjwdestroyer wrote:
The same can be said for games like Jumper, etc.[/img]

Hey beating Jumper is my proudest moment I'll ever have, don't belittle it

Yeah, I pretty much specialize in games that are meant to be un-fairly hard. IWBTG and the Jumper series are the only 2 that ever really made me work.

Getting 100% completion on Jumper 2 was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Same can be said for my IWBTG impossible mode runs............saying these games don't count is bull shit. Why would you say they need to stop being mentioned? Because they are designed to be ridiculously hard? Well this is the hardest game ever thread, not the "really hard, but not too hard" thread. so yeah......

First of all, I'm not belittling any of your accomplishments.

Think of it like this: if I were to design a game where beating the boss is impossible due to him having infinite life, would this be the hardest game ever? If I design a game where level design is based solely on silly traps that require you to invest a ridiculous amount of time in discovering each one in order to get to the next level, is this the hardest game ever? One should be able to gain skill in a game outside the simple idea of memorizing everything that it has to offer. If such is not the case, then Minesweeper should be on the list when the grid and mines are maxed out. Not to mention, there are many other "clearly impossible," or rather, "difficulty silly" games out there that would clearly triumph over pretty much all games in that stupid Kotaku list--even titles like IWBTG and Jumper would be dominated by the ferocity of such games.

Obviously, the definition of difficulty is very subjective, but if we allow it to include virtually anything, then all lists would have a pile of garbage, and primarily, user-created bullshit. Might as well chart a 20 minute long GHTune where it's constant 4,000 NPS strumming with no Star Power. Hardest chart ever.

Rawrspoon wrote:
Well then, bjw, I'm thinking the Guitar Hero series shouldn't be on there because TTFAF was added just to fuck with people with its (then considered) impossible song.

Two responses to this:

1) As ridiculous as TtFaF was, it was still charted based on a real guitar song that has been played by a real guitarist, so it's still very much in the realm of human possibility. When the communities did claim it as being impossible though (well, the FC that is), we didn't have enough time to understand just how silly the timing window really was in that game. Of course, where do we draw this fine line? Well, I would respond with the fact that in GH you can learn more about the game and gain skill; you become a better player. One could further respond with, well, how is muscle memory any different than memory itself of such games like IWBTG? Well, let's say we have a great IWBTG player and a great GH player. If I give the IWBTG player a brand new stage that he has never seen before, and if I give the GH player a brand new chart that he has never seen before, well, the former will struggle due to lacking any knowledge of the stage while the latter will probably be fine due to experience with the games.

2) Once again, it depends on what criteria our list is based on. Are we talking simply passing the game, or full on perfecting everything that it has to offer. This list is clearly not based on the latter, but if it were, then we would have one hell of a different list.

Anyway, this is all just my opinion, no need to punch me because of it.

Last edited by bjwdestroyer on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjwdestroyer wrote:
Obviously, the definition of difficulty is very subjective, but if we allow it to include virtually anything, then all lists would have a pile of garbage, and primarily, user-created bullshit. Might as well chart a 20 minute long GHTune where it's constant 4,000 NPS strumming with no Star Power. Hardest chart ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMBUm7hWudo

There you go, hardest song ever; to emphasize your point.

Your example with IWBTG players compared to GH players was good. A new stage will kill any IWBTG players because your survival is based on whether or not you know what's coming. Games like GH, on the other hand, will prepare you for what's ahead, and build your skill overall.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
bjwdestroyer wrote:

Your example with IWBTG players compared to GH players was good. A new stage will kill any IWBTG players because your survival is based on whether or not you know what's coming. Games like GH, on the other hand, will prepare you for what's ahead, and build your skill overall.

Yes, but using that one song as ammo somebody could argue that GH was the hardest game ever.

When user-created content gets thrown into the mix, that completely redefines what we're talking about and shouldn't be considered at all. I could make any game "the hardest game ever" if I wanted to. Infinite health on an enemy, an impossible obstacle, whatever. THAT'S the point bjw was trying to make. Nobody is arguing that beating these crazy-hard games isn't impressive, but including hacks in a "hardest games list" doesn't make sense, because they could do that shit to any game to make it impossible.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even so, Mushi shouldn't be considered in that case because the bosses were designed to be theoretically impossible. Of course, players proved them wrong.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Qarx wrote:
bjwdestroyer wrote:

Yes, but using that one song as ammo somebody could argue that GH was the hardest game ever.

When user-created content gets thrown into the mix, that completely redefines what we're talking about and shouldn't be considered at all. I could make any game "the hardest game ever" if I wanted to. Infinite health on an enemy, an impossible obstacle, whatever. THAT'S the point bjw was trying to make. Nobody is arguing that beating these crazy-hard games isn't impressive, but including hacks in a "hardest games list" doesn't make sense, because they could do that shit to any game to make it impossible.

Exactly. I was posting the "hardest" chart I could find just to show that user-created content shouldn't count. It's far too easy to make the "hardest" anything, and thus only professional (such as Harmonix, Neversoft, Game Freak, Square Enix, etc.) content should count.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawrspoon wrote:
Even so, Mushi shouldn't be considered in that case because the bosses were designed to be theoretically impossible. Of course, players proved them wrong.

The bosses weren't designed with the intention of making them theoretically impossible, not to mention, only the last boss can be argued as being impossible. I don't really understand what you mean by "players proved them wrong" though. There was nothing to prove.
reikonkeiri  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone here played Vortex for the SNES? It may just be because I played it when I was very young, but I couldn't get past the first level of that game without cheats XD.
toymachine  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syobon isn't that hard
I mean even I passed it
same with Lost Levels.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
Syobon isn't that hard
I mean even I passed it
same with Lost Levels.

(you mean Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, right?)
I beat Mario: The Lost Levels, too, but I did it on the SNES release: Super Mario All-Stars, and I died quite a lot. So much so, the save system actually came in handy; guess I'm not really all that good .

I still find it hard to believe Fantasy Zone and Gradius series didn't make the list. They both have that annoying feature of touching just about anything and dying, as well as dying in one hit (well, Fantasy Zone, as well as Super Fantasy Zone let you touch the floors, and there were no walls, but dying and losing all your items basically meant you were screwed fighting the boss, and getting touched by anything still kills you. I have yet to beat the game >_>).

I spent a few days (not continuously =p) on Gradius, and I couldn't even beat the first level, not to mention a friend told me that there was this boss in Gradius III that shot so many bullets that you basically had to have a huge number of upgrades and fire enough bullets and such that the game experienced slowdown and you could more easily dodge the bullets.

My Backloggery
Davers  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake's Revenge for the NES is pretty freakin' rough. The boss in the Train is so hard to beat. I finally just gave up and that's not something I do with video games when I'm trying to beat them.

Btw, this is basically Metal Gear 2 for the NES just under the name "Snake's Revenge".
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
Snake's Revenge for the NES is pretty freakin' rough. The boss in the Train is so hard to beat. I finally just gave up and that's not something I do with video games when I'm trying to beat them.

Btw, this is basically Metal Gear 2 for the NES just under the name "Snake's Revenge".

Yup. I learned a lot from this nerd about the Metal Gear series. Did you know Hideo Kojima didn't make the NES release of Metal Gear?

My Backloggery
freakinalex  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
Davers wrote:

Yup. I learned a lot from this nerd about the Metal Gear series. Did you know Hideo Kojima didn't make the NES release of Metal Gear?

I FEEL ASLEEP!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakinalex wrote:
Qarx wrote:
Davers wrote:

I FEEL ASLEEP!

UH-OH! THE TRUCK HAVE STARTED TO MOVE!!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarroker wrote:

UH-OH! THE TRUCK HAVE STARTED TO MOVE!!

Lol.....Metal Gear for the NES was just plain awesome. Hard too but once you beat it and know where everything is, you can basically go through it without dying.
StevenStewberry  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who just purchased the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, I must say, the games become rage-inducing once you get to the Dr. Wily Levels. Haven't even played 3-8 yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: