ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
No Love for the Guitar Hero Vocalists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
munkyzero  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
Also I think that the GH Vocals are so misunderstood. The instant people realized it wasn't like RB we go a while slew of:

"THESE VOCALS ARE BROKEN"
"THESE VOCALS SUCK"
"TOO HARD NEVERSOFT FAILS"

Even though on their first try at vocals, Neversoft made talkies that WORK (and even One Way or Another in RB2 has a crap talky).
GamingAwesome1  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Band was first so anything that's different to the tried and true vocal formula is met with hate. I mean there was a topic on pretty the exact same thing except for drummers on GH:WT and the same answer is prevelant there too.

Rock Band got in there first, so more people are used to it. Not that GH:WT is worse it's just harder which is what turns alot of people off.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
ok I understand we have a bunch of vocal keys and scales listed but that doesn't really mean anything to me.

I want to see a VIDEO.

That's all I'm saying.

I know this may seem pretty off-topic, but I just want to add to this. Perhaps more people would be more likely to play and respect GH vocals if the top players made all of the tools to succeed available to everyone.

Yes, we have threads in the vocals forums with all the known SH information. But riddle me this: If there's over 50K difference between my FC and the person ahead of me, then there's obviously something more to know about freeforms that people simply aren't sharing. A margin like that is simply too big to just be a pathing fail, unless I activated every star power in the middle of nothing. I guess what I'm saying is that there shouldn't be that huge of a score difference, especially when I clearly have a grasp on what most freeforms want (correct pitches and such).

I just think sharing this info with the community will only increase the amount of competitiveness on GH vocals, which is what we all want right?

I'd like it if the GH players worked out more like Rock Band: People share their methods for hitting the stupid talky, they share their paths, they're a community. I don't see much of a vocal "community" for Guitar Hero. If there is one, I would call it more of a secret society than anything else. There's some SH vocalists, and then some other group of vocalists that obviously kick major ass but don't interact with the rest of us. It seems like a rift, for lack of a better word. Maybe that's part of the problem? I'd just like all of the GH vocalists come together more. Lets put ourselves out there. Even if the community stays small, I'd like to be a community...

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Y2Grae  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm making a nice shiny one

(video that is)
Y2Grae  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the double post, but i thought another post would bump it nicely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qICn5R-X-1w

currently processing, but there is a vid for you
Y2Grae  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
toymachine wrote:
ok I understand we have a bunch of vocal keys and scales listed but that doesn't really mean anything to me.

I want to see a VIDEO.

That's all I'm saying.

I know this may seem pretty off-topic, but I just want to add to this. Perhaps more people would be more likely to play and respect GH vocals if the top players made all of the tools to succeed available to everyone.

Yes, we have threads in the vocals forums with all the known SH information. But riddle me this: If there's over 50K difference between my FC and the person ahead of me, then there's obviously something more to know about freeforms that people simply aren't sharing. A margin like that is simply too big to just be a pathing fail, unless I activated every star power in the middle of nothing. I guess what I'm saying is that there shouldn't be that huge of a score difference, especially when I clearly have a grasp on what most freeforms want (correct pitches and such).

I just think sharing this info with the community will only increase the amount of competitiveness on GH vocals, which is what we all want right?

I'd like it if the GH players worked out more like Rock Band: People share their methods for hitting the stupid talky, they share their paths, they're a community. I don't see much of a vocal "community" for Guitar Hero. If there is one, I would call it more of a secret society than anything else. There's some SH vocalists, and then some other group of vocalists that obviously kick major ass but don't interact with the rest of us. It seems like a rift, for lack of a better word. Maybe that's part of the problem? I'd just like all of the GH vocalists come together more. Lets put ourselves out there. Even if the community stays small, I'd like to be a community...

i've said enough times to come talk to me.... not very community not to.

there is no "right or wrong" way to do ff's. will depend on voice and range.

all i am saying is if asked i can help.

And for a community there are ways and means of making people feel welcome.....
Bananenbrot  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job on that vid! couldnt have done it any better!
BOYOBOYY  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Grae. Hopefully the theory that there is some kind of collusion between top vocalists is now put to bed.
CrsrC  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GamingAwesome1 wrote:
Rock Band was first so anything that's different to the tried and true vocal formula is met with hate. I mean there was a topic on pretty the exact same thing except for drummers on GH:WT and the same answer is prevelant there too.

Rock Band got in there first, so more people are used to it. Not that GH:WT is worse it's just harder which is what turns alot of people off.

A few of you guys have mentioned how Rock Band came first with the singing and drumming and that's why people prefer it over Guitar Hero.But to be honest I don't think this has anything to do with it(well for me at least,I can only speak for myself).
I mean don't you think it's possible that people(like me)just think that the RockBand system is better.Like even if they came out exactly on the same day I think I would just prefer the RB system more.

I mean GH came out first and had a system for playing guitar that everyone was use to.Then along came RB and changed alot of those things.For example overlapping starpower,solo bonuses,BRE,different shaped notes, to name a few.And yet there are plenty of guitar players that play RB and enjoy that system.So I really don't think it's about which one came out first,but which system do the majority of players prefer.

I started playing guitar in GH,but now would much rather play guitar in RB than GH.I also started singing and drumming with RB and again would much rather play them in RB than GH.The point really for me is it's just a better system for all instruments and that's why I play it.It has nothing to do with which one came first.

Also about the difficulty.RB guitar has a smaller timing window than GH and because of this makes the guitar parts harder to play than in GH.Especially fast strumming,yet as I said before there are plenty of guitar players playing RB.So just because the GH system may be harder for vocalist i don't think that has anything to do with why many people don't like it.Well at least for me...
toymachine  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrsrC wrote:

I mean don't you think it's possible that people(like me)just think that the RockBand system is better.

<jerk>

I mean if you want to be constantly beaten by the same 50 people on every song because they can say "Woo" later than you. Yeah RB2 Vocals are awesome.

</jerk>
Dahaloman  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an adequate vocalist, I would play vocals alot more if I could actually get my microphone in perfect sync; as it stands, the sound comes out about half a second to a second after I actually sing, meaning I have to sing before the words come up, meaning it kills the fun for me. I've tried absolutely everything to get it in sync, and have come up with the conclusion that it's a fault of the software, not the hardware, as it's fine with RB2.
beingmused  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
CrsrC wrote:

I mean don't you think it's possible that people(like me)just think that the RockBand system is better.

<jerk>

I mean if you want to be constantly beaten by the same 50 people on every song because they can say "Woo" later than you. Yeah RB2 Vocals are awesome.

</jerk>

Just because you can FC a song once doesn't mean that it is easy to do so on a regular basis. Gradations between vocalists really stand out in multiplayer; when you have a vocalist who can CONSISTENTLY hit a wide variety of songs over repeated runs...well, the gradations between those who just grind away at it and get a FC once and those who are consistently great really stand out. Scorehero has no good way of sorting these people out on a singleplayer basis, since if you've hit it once there's your high score...but there are still plenty of ways that being a BETTER vocalist is rewarded, even if it isn't in the standard career rankings way people are used to. Multiplayer and youtube and whatnot are just a better means of evaluating people's vocal qualities than scorehero is. Doesn't mean the RB2 system is bad.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y2Grae wrote:
i've said enough times to come talk to me.... not very community not to.

there is no "right or wrong" way to do ff's. will depend on voice and range.

all i am saying is if asked i can help.

And for a community there are ways and means of making people feel welcome.....

I appreciate your help, great video . I didn't mean my post to come off attacking anyone in particular with what I was saying. I just sensed that there are some things people aren't sharing with one another, and I guess I just jumped to conclusions as to why the GH vocal community is so different from RB.

That all being said, I won't drive this thread off topic any longer. Bottom line: GH vocalists are awesome, and the RB vocalists definitely have it in them to come over here and kick some ass. So come on guys, lets do it!

beingmused wrote:
Just because you can FC a song once doesn't mean that it is easy to do so on a regular basis. Gradations between vocalists really stand out in multiplayer; when you have a vocalist who can CONSISTENTLY hit a wide variety of songs over repeated runs...well, the gradations between those who just grind away at it and get a FC once and those who are consistently great really stand out. Scorehero has no good way of sorting these people out on a singleplayer basis, since if you've hit it once there's your high score...but there are still plenty of ways that being a BETTER vocalist is rewarded, even if it isn't in the standard career rankings way people are used to. Multiplayer and youtube and whatnot are just a better means of evaluating people's vocal qualities than scorehero is. Doesn't mean the RB2 system is bad.

This is a really good point. I stopped working on squeezing after I got RB2, and now I'm only barely top 50 with a FGFC. However, in co-op bandplay with my fiance, I have a FGFC as well. Not to say I'm better because of it, but its definitely a different skillset to be able to FC consistently versus being able to FC once, or to squeeze really well. Some people can do all of these things, some can't. I suppose it depends on what your goals are. You need to be able to FC consistently to be good at squeezing, or else you'll be hitting the restart button a LOT. But yeah, good point.

I see where toy is coming from though. For personal satisfaction, most people want to try and achieve a high rank on their instrument of choice. Admittedly I have no motivation to work on RB2 squeezing when it takes SO MUCH effort to get an extra 100 points. If I have an hour or so to devote to "upping my averages," I guess I'd prefer the challenge of trying to grind out an FC of a song in Guitar Hero, rather than re-FC something in RB2 20 times trying to get a good squeeze. But that's my personal preference, doesn't make the system bad.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
toymachine  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahaloman wrote:
As an adequate vocalist, I would play vocals alot more if I could actually get my microphone in perfect sync; as it stands, the sound comes out about half a second to a second after I actually sing, meaning I have to sing before the words come up, meaning it kills the fun for me. I've tried absolutely everything to get it in sync, and have come up with the conclusion that it's a fault of the software, not the hardware, as it's fine with RB2.

try adjusting to 27ms or 45ms of VIDEO lag

I find that works the best
SpellcasterX  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually...the only reason I don't watch GH vocalists is because I didn't know any existed Personally, RB vox videos are so boring since anyone can do it...there's so much skill involved in a GH FC, I could watch that all day!

Subscribed to y2grae and everyone else <__<
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: