Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Wooffus (vox) - FebMP vids+analysis; seeya on the blue side
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosfreak07  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you're not "under pressure" anymore.

Solid FC right there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks on that I still think I am pressured, albeit in a different way *coughsuperstitioncough*, but I'm always happy for more feedback.

Anyway, this thread is bumped with the latest updates.

Lonely is the morning, when I find myself alone, my parents have gone shopping, and my mind is not my own...

I bet today's big feature is blatantly obvious.

---

Update: Januray 2nd 2010

Video Feature Double: 21st Century Schizoid Man | Woman from Tokyo ('99 Remix)

Here we've got the next chronological upload, paired up with something that's actually pretty fun to sing (plus to my knowledge I couldn't find ANYONE singing the latter on Youtube without having to do an audioswap). I swear, I'll make a more serious attempt on the first one later, but for now, enjoy guys.

GH5 Progress Report: So, I was too unfit to do anything yesterday. Much like Peter Frampton was confused over where he went to dine the night before, I'm confused over whose cold I caught when I woke up on New Year's Day morning. Alas, all my FCs today had the sniffles on them but I'm still perfectly fine with them. Let's make the rundown, as is the usual.

Capping through all these real quick:
"Gratitude" was originally intended for the lulz, but I came close to finding a decent star power path in there. I may need to refine the second chorus a little, and I'm gold.
"Demon(s)", like all screaming tracks in the series, was about one thing and one thing only - my Pink Monkey impersonation. I could've been a bit tighter with the ending though, but it was still something good to get off my chest.
"Incinerate" took a while to get going due to some of the tighter phrases here, but it was still cleared in less than 8 minutes excluding practice. Whew.
"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" is what I want to call the "Rebel Yell" of this game - not fun for us altos without having to tighten the octave we sing with. So when I do show the video, I'm probably gonna sound more like crap than I intended to, but I really don't care.
Alas, "Ex-Girlfriend" was pretty fun, provided you know how to deal with some of the vocal liberties from the second chorus beyond. Same can be said for "All the Pretty Faces" and the bridge variations, and they both took just as long to figure out.
After doing the initial sightread with cammokyle on Monday, "Plug In Baby" was cleared in one take without any additional practice. Anyone who's listened to a lot of Muse in their youth should clearly know the song inside out.
And then there's "Jailbreak". I was anticipating it to be much harder than it was, and it surprised me that after getting some practice done, I had it on film in my first take. Easier than "Judith" - for real?

And of course, I can't leave without a big highlight. Alas, it's one of the easier intensity 9 songs if not THE easiest, but it's still awesome anyway:

It didn't help that at that point my throat just wanted to pack in, and I was lucky I manged to get the FC down in the space of 15 minutes. It's a pretty song too - not a clue why it was included in GH5 though after being initially shown in GH:80s (and if that's the case it would've been more likely a candidate for the GH:SH roster).

Still, that's 9 songs out of the way and a little more recovery time for me. All the better really, because with the points I've accumulated so far, I'm now officially the #1 ranked Wii vocalist in terms of accumulated score!... which probably doesn't say much since I'm not even 75% done.

Not only that, but adding on all the other FCs I've done, I am now part of the 100 Expert Vocals FCs club now - woohoo!

Anyway, time to take it easy for a while, hopefully.

[This update has been archived here for the sake of the first post.]

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!

Last edited by Wooffus on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
tidus  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, 9 new FC's even with such conditions!

The way you've dealt with "Jailbreak" is mind-blowing. Even being wussy in comparison to the dreaded "The Boys Are Back in Town" on GH:Metallica, it's really tricky. Very nice on "Lonely Is the Night" too. For some reason, I apparently suck at the bridge no matter how much I try.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I heard that "The Boys are Back in Town" is nightmarish. It's probably the *only* song I'd dare attempt in Metallica because it's one of few I know off the bat, but then again this IS Phil Lynott we're on about so what do we expect? @_@

Also, don't be so hard on yourself. You cleared "Lonely is the Night" about 24 hours since, so I am really sure you'll keep up the pace. If there was a hugging emoticon for use here, I'd so use it right now.

Either way, I have 9 new FCs afoot... and a dying voice. Let me leave you on a little thought.

When you believe in singing things,
that you've left out too long,
then you'll suffer...

Premonition is the way.

Yeah. Easy clue there.

---

Update: January 4th 2010

Video Feature Double: Disconnected | All the Pretty Faces

Of all my FC videos, one is the next one chronologically and a fun reference for a fun song, while the other is a demonstration on how I can handle FCs with a cold. Alas, this actually sounds pretty mild in comparison to what I did today. You'll see.

GH5 Progress Report: So I took some time out yesterday to try and recover. Just as well, because tomorrow I'm back at work and barely have any time during the week to work on anything. Here's what I managed to push forth.

Actually, I wasn't intending for "Done with Everything, Die for Nothing" to be done today, but after a very croaky run on "All Along the Watchtower", that ended up being my last FC of the day and should be video proof of my dying voice when I get around to hosting that. XD
So it's a good thing that the others were done considerably earlier in the day, especially "American Girl" and its long notes right at the end.
"You and Me" just came by very quickly, and the last lines of the choruses often were chokable points for me; still, it was done in 3 takes when getting round to getting it on film. Genius!
A similar thing can be said about "L.A." - the only chokables are some of the verse variations, and I'm glad I managed to get everything in there.
"Gamma Ray" and "Six Days a Week" were both the points in which my throat was really dying. It probably didn't help that I did the former an octave higher as well, which left me struggling to get decent points in the latter. I'll redo it one of these days, I assure you.
I was also expecting "Saturday Night's Alright" to consume a heck of a lot of time, especially considering the ENTIRE SONG is choke city. But I'm glad I managed to nail that FC very early on too - not many consonants though, but I really don't care.

And last but not least... today's big attraction, and thank God I got it out of the way in time:

This must've taken me about 2-3 hours to work on, and the crazy slides don't help much either. The big chokable parts for me were usually in the second verse of all places, but after that all I had to do was maintain focus for the final verse and get it set.

And I'm glad I did, because right now I can't even *speak*, let alone sing. It's gonna take more than just a single night to recover from all this, I assure you. Note to self - cough medicine on the way into work tomorrow. >_>

But still, there's not many obstacles left. When I'm fully recovered I'll take serious considerations to "The Rock Show" and "Play That Funky Music", but otherwise I'll take the remaining 14 FCs however they come by.

Last edited by Wooffus on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
tidus  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O______O

Indeed, inb4FGFC. Sucks about your throat though, hopefully you'll have enough time to recover yourself before the next move! "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)" is also mindblowing, don't know if I had even a on it yet. For some reason, "American Girl" seems another dreaded song FC-wise. The "Uh huh huh" phrases seem to be extremely strict.

In my opinion, aside those negative circumstances, only these two songs you mentioned can be roadblocks for you. Can't see another song barring you.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
werelord  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you'll have the vocal FGFC soon. Also welcome to my club! Also being 1st always means something even if the others haven't really tried I'm still proud of my BH wii first even though its laughable...http://www.scorehero.com/rankings.php?group=14&game=42&platform=4&size=1&inst1=5&inst=5&tier=38&diff=4&page=1 Anyway basicly there is nothing stopping you continue dominating vox!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two detailed comments; let's go one by one:

Tidus: Yeah, I do agree about the strict nature of the "uh huh huh" phrases there, but otherwise this is Tom Petty - his songs are meant to be fun to sing. But thanks again for the kind support - you've pretty much been here every step of the way, and after all this, I really gotta do you a favor somehow, heh.

werelord: Well, if anything, these firsts actually mean "where are all the other Wii vocalists out there" if anything. I mean, in the PAL territories I play GH5 on, I haven't seen any other expert vocalists out there whenever I play online. *shrug*

But yeah, they do mean something about our progression and the like. And to think, the people that I knew on Youtube think I'm not any good at it at all - it's comments like that that actually spur me to get better. >_>

~~~

Still, I managed to obtain the medication and I'm getting on the mend gradually. But it also didn't help that today had snow so bad the traffic around town came to a standstill, so I stayed at home.

Surprisingly, I did some FCs. Details are on the first post - I may have had myself taken out of the rock, but can you take the rock - and the funk - out of me?

I'll lay down the boogie and sing that funky music til I drop... or so we hear.

---

Update: January 5th 2010

Video Feature Double: Hungry Like the Wolf | What I Got

Both FCs were taken on the same day - one of them was a very giddy sightread on a great yet mid-tiered song, and the other is me attempting one of the harder songs in the game (though note that I DO mumble the pitched rapping... yep.). Both were great results nonetheless.

GH5 Progress Report: Apparently there was a change of plan. The weather out here was so bad that pretty much the entire town came to a standstill, so I ultimately took the day off. Still feeling frail (but a lot better than I was after attempting "All Along the Watchtower" yesterday, I assure you), I tried at various points throughout the day to FC some songs... with elements of success, surprisingly. Here's how I run them down.

"Comedown" was intended to be a nice gentle song to sing before leaving for the office and a sightread FC too, luckily enough; but not long after that I got the call from my mother about the traffic around town and how impossible travel would be. I never would've guessed I'd do more in the space of one day.
"Never Miss a Beat" was just plain annoying - so many short phrases and so little margin for error. But I still love the song and how British it is in lyrical context ("What do you want for tea? I want crisps"... seriously, hehe.)
"Looks That Kill" was a little more fun though - can't remember where the chokables were, but I do know that the shifts from B natural to B flat throughout the song made that a little challenging. It was still done in 3 takes, yeehaw.
"Why Bother?" had 3 good takes that went horrendously wrong on the last two phrases or so, but I eventually got there too. Thank goodness that's pretty short.
"Deadbolt" was done after a nap, and in 2 takes. Goes to show how simple that one is - or maybe it's because it's another song I like doing expert guitar/bass to.
And after practicing the lines, "Make It Wit Chu" was down on film in 1 take. Strangely, even though it has a higher intensity than "No One Knows", I'm still sure the latter is still the harder song. What the heck had happened to Queens of the Stone Age between the two songs? o_O

Anyway, sandwiched between the latter two FCs, this happened:

So I played with Kyle for a few games again, and ended up doing more sightreads (including "The Rock Show" - 95% on my first try, and I guess that's not bad). Then right at the end of our session, this just had to come blasting through (yay phone quality):

I'll see if I can FC it by myself sometime, but if I've been able to do a successful sightread online, it probably speaks volumes on how I'm recovering, heh.

And finally, there's the big one. I never thought I'd do it today, but... dun dun dun!!!

Watching Airshock22's run on Youtube - and seeing how it took him nearly 3 days for himself to FC it - kind of inspired me on this one. So I practiced the lines (the real stumbling blocks for me were the eighth lines on every verse, the freestyling just before the keychange, and the keychange itself). And it was all done in less than an hour - who knew I'd be able to manage it after all? O_o

So yeah, 7 (technically 6) FCs remain. I bet I'd be done by the weekend at this rate, probably faster if I make a quicker recovery, but we'll see.

Last edited by Wooffus on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
arvain  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is some FAST progress right here Awesome job on getting rid of the hardest songs at this rate !! Gogo fgfc in a day or two ^^

Also, welcome to the cold club
tidus  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching too many vids, ma'am? *points at Comedown SIGHTREAD FC*

Seriously though, "Play That Funky Music" is another of those mindblowing FC's. Glad you got this one and are recovering from the cold. I *sorta* got out of this club a few days ago, at least I got out of the sore throat club. But heck, even with a good throat I can't do even half of what you did with a bad throat, quality-wise!

But yeah, just that Blink-182 song and you can kinda call it a "Game Over" for GH5, like it happened with me after the FC on "Never Too Late" meaning "Game Over" for GHWT.

Gogo!

P.S.: I get you about the thing about the tiers of 2 given songs by the same band. Although I still find "Make It Wit Chu" way harder than "No One Knows", for being kinda slurry and tough to comprehend, at least for me, I got another serious case, on the No Doubt songs on Band Hero. "Don't Speak" is Intensity 3, while "Just a Girl" is Intensity 5. That was just downright wrong. The former is not only a chokefest and much harder than the latter, but it's also the hardest No Doubt song singable on the GH engine. So yeah...

Wooffus  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? The only "Comedown" vids I ever came across on Youtube are from Airshock and dogfood, and I don't think either of them mentioned any sightreads. Is there something awry in the YT search engine?

I'll make a more detailed response tomorrow, trust me >_>

tidus  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooffus wrote:
Eh? The only "Comedown" vids I ever came across on Youtube are from Airshock and dogfood, and I don't think either of them mentioned any sightreads. Is there something awry in the YT search engine?

I'll make a more detailed response tomorrow, trust me >_>

Nah, I was joking! Of course I'd think that in fact you know the song by heart prior to the game.

chaosfreak07  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You smell like you sound...we're lost and you're found...and you're hungry like wolf.

Indeed you are. Hungry for some FGFC much? Rock on.

Also speaking of the above, fun fact: Comedown was a song I totally knew but never knew what it was called or who it was by until GH5 came out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, time to be more serious about the responses now.

arvain - Mwaha, thanks. But in all seriousness, I still dreaded "The Rock Show" solo after the online sightread, even in this condition. Luckily I'm recovering now - nowhere near as bad as I was on Friday

Tidus - You got most of the stuff from me last night, but anyway... while the wording may be a little slurrier on "Make It Wit Chu", there's not exactly a right load of pitch timings to learn in comparison to "No One Knows" and that's why I think it's the easier song. But I may be different like that anyway. *shrug* I'll believe the No Doubt songs when I approach 'em though.

chaosfreak07 - Yeah, even I've had my situations like that - knowing some melodic riffs in some songs but unable to put a name to 'em.
For example, when approaching "Disconnected" for the first time I was expecting a fun mid-tiered song to learn. But when we got to the chorus and listened to it, I thought "Hey, this song was on the demo for MTV Sports Snowboarding - loved it back then!" and felt relieved to finally put a name (and an artist) to the song. Huttah!

Anyway, update coming soon with two new FCs. Here's a thought to go by while I get it set:

We're coming to your town, girls at the rock show bound, we are a Lancashire band!

...yeah. I need to get out more.

---

Update: January 6th 2010

Video Feature Double: In My Place | Superstition

Tonight's featured pair takes me to one feature in which I sing at my lowest... and some Coldplay. :P
Naw, in all seriousness, I'm surprised I managed to nail the former in the original octave, and normally I can't even go that low. "Superstition" on the other hand was another one of my cold-prone FCs, but still a strong product of nearly 3 hours of labor, I'm sure of it.

GH5 Progress Report: With the traffic back on the move and business going again, I didn't have much time in the day to do any FCs at all. However, I found some time before and after work to nail an FC at either side. Here's how it went:

"We're an American Band" is actually very fun to sing to. Then again I'd been playing it so much on the drums just to get the Diamond challenge on it that it's pretty much stuck in my head anyway, so call that an epic start to the day.
"The Rock Show", however, was what I want to call homicide on a plate; 2 hours of trying to FC that one, and when I did the resulting take, a huge majority of the song were incomprehensible mumbles. That's how tough the margin for error on this one is. >_>
(Yeah, it goes to show I have a terrible history with songs from Blink 182.)

But still, with the final dreaded obstacle out of the way, the road to the FGFC awaits. I just need to be more familiarised with "Nearly Lost You" and I should be gold!

But don't expect me to finish it tomorrow - my first priority is for a vocal tourney on the GH Hub, which will run on that day (GH:SH - The Rock Box, Expert Vocals division). Therefore, my freeforms for "Psychobilly Freakout" - and my atrociousness at which - come first.

I'll meet you next time

Last edited by Wooffus on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
chaosfreak07  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you believe in things that you don't understand...then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.

Damn right. That is a very impressive FC.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooffus wrote:
Yeah, it goes to show I have a terrible history with songs from Blink 182.

I hear you, 'cause I remember the "Dammit" stuff. Still, "The Rock Show" = death. All I can say. Very happy for you though

About "We're an American Band", I heard that the ending can be lethal. It's one of the few songs I still didn't sightread, if not the only. "Nearly Lost You" should be hella easy, as well as the entire rest.

But first, best of luck on the tourney! You will win, I'm sure of it!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 5 of 49

Jump to: