SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Megadeth question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Also, I don't own the 3 examples you gave, so no comment. I just find myself enjoying original CD's more so than remasters because I don't care for added on bonus tracks, re-mixes, demos and alternate versions tacked onto the end of the track list.

I only own one of the 3 examples I gave (KIMB) but I was informed of the other 2 after reading a book on Death Metal and Grindcore's history.

In your defense, Incubus' (the Incubus from Louisiana) Serpent Temptation was reissued with completely new vocal tracks. The original vocals are better. I'll have to dig for more examples on both sides but we seem to be on the same page here.

And it's ok to not buy into bonus material. I was under the impression you preferred original pressings due to something being wrong with a remastered album's sound and in that case you would be mostly wrong (exceptions apply as seen above.)

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
mninp  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first bought KiMB, and SFSGSW remasters, and I heard them for the first time, I thought they sucked with the exception of a few songs. Now SFSGSW is my 3rd favorite deth album, and KiMY is like #6 or something. They grew on me because I learned to appreciate the songs. I still think those two have the worst production out of all the albums though. Does the original KiMB sound anything like the Demo recordings on the KiMB remasters bonus tracks? Because they sound horrible.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mninp wrote:
When I first bought KiMB, and SFSGSW remasters, and I heard them for the first time, I thought they sucked with the exception of a few songs. Now SFSGSW is my 3rd favorite deth album, and KiMY is like #6 or something. They grew on me because I learned to appreciate the songs. I still think those two have the worst production out of all the albums though. Does the original KiMB sound anything like the Demo recordings on the KiMB remasters bonus tracks? Because they sound horrible.

owning the 2 original versions (one with These Boots & one without it), they sound like they intended to be in 1984. the sound is harsh but original. sure the remaster did a good job, but if you want to hear what it was back then, just listen to the original. i actually like it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have originals and remasters for all applicable albums except Killing is My Business (have the remaster). Overall I like the originals better than the remasters if only because I did have them first.

There were a couple tracks, however, that were radically changed for the worse in my not-so humble opinion on the re-masters. The intros were changed and spoiled these songs:

Sweating Bullets (They put the newer version in GH5...bleh. I don't like it nearly as well.)
Train of Consequences (The scratching at the beginning that sounded like a train? Gone!)
Insomnia (No violin? WTF)

If you can find the originals at reasonable prices, go for them. Otherwise, the remasters are OK.

Concering "These Boots" on the re-master: Granted, I've not heard the original, but the new version cracked me up. Mustaine explains why he left it on the CD in the liner notes.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the remasters were way better in terms of quality. Sure the old stuff is fine, except for maybe SFSGSW, but I just like better sounding music and that is what the remasters bring. I own them all. Nothing wrong with either really.
polishedbullet  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that the side casing of the Rust in Peace is part of a 5(or 6, can't remember) collection. If you collect all 5-6 CD's and put them in order, you will see Vic's face from the album cover.

Badass

RIP Piper. I love you. 3/26/10
lazor  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a review of the remasters: http://remasterhell.blogspot.com/2006/08/megadeth-remasters-2004.html

I'd say it's worth it. The originals will have far more dynamic range than the remasters.
Simpsonfreak17  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy from YouTube said that they're gonna sell back the original CDs again. He heard the news on the Megadeth forums.

I highly doubt it though.

Graciously documenting our future retards
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: simpsonfreak17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: