ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero is dead? (No more DLC, no game in 2011)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the News, all I had to say was this....

http://nooooooooooooooo.com

I might just do a Let's Play on the entire series(not counting DLC) during the month of March as a memorial/tribute to the series and then post it on Youtube.

Regarding the future of music gaming, if there is one, I also think it would be a heaping plate of winsauce if some of the people who charted for Beenox or Neversoft applied for a job at Harmonix.

Anyone here wish this was just Acti's early April Fool's joke?

ArcticPhoenix  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this is getting me back into the series. It's sad to see it go but at least the series ended on a good note. As someone here said, the developers did a great job with the games despite people demonizing them with the Activision folks. When I see interviews they sound like dedicated people who love their work. Even though it may have been a "fad" GH left a huge impact on videogames, much like Pokemon (and Pokemon is still selling like hotcakes to this day with a new major title out in Japan and on its way to the west.)

What's really pissing me off though is the plastic instrument hatedom is coming out of the woodworks and rejoicing that GH is no longer saturating the market. Yeah like other genres don't do the same thing. Some even wish RB would die and bash Harmonix for no reason other than being music game developers. For some reason music games gathered quite a hatedom despite other genres comitting the same "oversaturation" crimes.

All series have their ups and downs, and GH was no different. Through good and bad I supported this series. It may be over but I have yet to fully tap into all the content. I no longer feel pressured to keep up.

Anyways a big round of applause to Harmonix (for the early GH games,) NS, VV, and all the other developers who worked to make this series possible and dear to my heart.

*applauds*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Brosephina2930
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticPhoenix wrote:

What's really pissing me off though is the plastic instrument hatedom is coming out of the woodworks and rejoicing that GH is no longer saturating the market. Yeah like other genres don't do the same thing. Some even wish RB would die and bash Harmonix for no reason other than being music game developers. For some reason music games gathered quite a hatedom despite other genres comitting the same "oversaturation" crimes.

I think the perceived difference between this and other genres is that there are relatively few companies in the music game genre. Take for example, First Person Shooters. Is the genre totally oversaturated? In my opinion, yes, and it has been for years. But it's all the different companies making it. You don't see 9 Call of Duty titles in the same year; It's a bunch of different developers jumping into the fray. It's not like they have the choice to stop the saturation, whereas with Activision and the "Hero" titles, since they issued all of them to be made, they theoretically could've stopped the oversaturation by cutting back.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to bash Activision or anything, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate.
Blashyrkh  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I guess I'll go back to playing real guitar.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any raeson why they didnt even try to sell the "Guitar Hero" name ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fucking hate fanboyism in this thread. Even though both games are actually the exact fucking same (Except with different glitches on both side and a retarded engine at higher level play for rock band), stupid hate on WT and onward is, well... retarded. IMO, the only reason these games were ever bashed at all is the visuals. With better visuals, I'm sure WT would have been regarded as a great game. Hell, it had 2 ozzy songs, Metallica, overkill, 2 Jimmy Hendrix songs, Beat it, The eye of the tiger, so many great sounding and fun to play stuff. But the visual dropped from "manly" to a serious lack of taste.

Rock band games have always been competitive failures, and it's not like the difference were earth shattering for the casuals either. Again, the main difference is the visuals (Making the whole screen shake when a bass pedal comes in was genius). The problem wasn't so much oversaturation (2 games per years, not 10), but the memes that resulted and perceived oversaturation. This last point sealing the coffin of the GH franchise. Them closing isn't much of a deal to me, but the bias that I saw in this thread made me furious, and I had to reply.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
I just fucking hate fanboyism in this thread. Even though both games are actually the exact fucking same (Except with different glitches on both side and a retarded engine at higher level play for rock band), stupid hate on WT and onward is, well... retarded. IMO, the only reason these games were ever bashed at all is the visuals. With better visuals, I'm sure WT would have been regarded as a great game. Hell, it had 2 ozzy songs, Metallica, overkill, 2 Jimmy Hendrix songs, Beat it, The eye of the tiger, so many great sounding and fun to play stuff. But the visual dropped from "manly" to a serious lack of taste.

Rock band games have always been competitive failures, and it's not like the difference were earth shattering for the casuals either. Again, the main difference is the visuals (Making the whole screen shake when a bass pedal comes in was genius). The problem wasn't so much oversaturation (2 games per years, not 10), but the memes that resulted and perceived oversaturation. This last point sealing the coffin of the GH franchise. Them closing isn't much of a deal to me, but the bias that I saw in this thread made me furious, and I had to reply.

I see your point and what you are trying to say, but I do not think that the visuals is what differentiate the games. For me and many others it's the gameplay of the note charts that divided the games. Some liked GH's charts. Some liked RB's charts, and some liked both games charts.
Also, it sucks that they'll probably mute the "FIST FUCK" part of Wish by Nine Inch Nails, the most iconic part of the song. :/
We didn't edit it out. In fact, not only did we boost the volume of that vocal phrase, but we replaced the vocals of every song in the game with the phrase "FIST FUCK" repeating over and over.
You can still...
FIST FUCK Ahh-merrr-I-Caaahh
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it was the note charts that turned me off of GH. They were charted WAY to literally IMO. I still got every game up to GH:M though.

3926 0220 0199 1364
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
DeusExProcella wrote:
It's like going to someone's funeral and saying "Well, this sucks for you, but at least your cousin is doing well for himself!"

Except it's not, really. That would just be outright acting like a prick. If you want to use the death of a person as an analogy, it's more like reading in the newspaper about a Hollywood star who's died, and thinking "ah, I liked a couple of their movies but didn't care for the rest of them".

I think a more accurate comparison to a dead person would be what happened when Michael Jackson died. Everyone liked his music in the old days, but in the years before his death there was a lot of "controversy" (not unlike people's souring opinion of the later days of Guitar Hero).

When MJ died, people looked at him with rose-tinted glasses and more or less paid their respects to him while ignoring his controversial moments. I think that's what most people are trying to do here.

However, I would say the Rock Band fanboys rejoicing in this thread are akin to Kanye West naming himself the new King of Pop after Michael died. It's just... too soon to tell, and pretty disrespectful (and tacky) as well. I just think people are awfully heartless to say "about time" to GH dying, seemingly forgetting the hundreds of people out of work because of it and the thousands of sad fans. Have a little respect, people.

Obviously the music of a pop idol, charges of molestation and other controversies and his untimely death aren't literally comparable to the fate of a video game, but the reaction of the public is more or less the same. And I would argue that relatively the death of Guitar Hero to SH is just as bad as the death of MJ to fans of pop music everywhere. I think the comparison illustrates whats going on pretty well and why people are frustrated with the fanboys, especially now.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
codemann8  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, practically speaking, I'm glad I dumped their stock about a month ago...but this news doesn't come to me as a shock, I think we all saw it happening:
1) With RB coming in with keyboards and PRO instruments, GH falls quite short of that and would always be one step behind.
2) Their mishap with the GH Community, that made a bunch of people really angry, people like me who really never went back after that
3) And overall their lack of new, yeah they had different gameplay types, but all were played the same with the same instruments

GH had a fantastic series, we had our "up" moments (GH3/GHWoR) and our "down" moments (GHWT/80s)...its been a pleasure being part of it...I've enjoyed playing in leagues, learning to squeeze, learning to path, making a site so others can path...

It's been a great run...and a fantastic 5 years of my life...I don't see a downfall to the community, because we rock, and we won't stop rocking...

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
codemann8  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
is there any raeson why they didnt even try to sell the "Guitar Hero" name ?

Probably so they still get revenue from future DLC purchases

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
Pas26  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wattershed"]

I see your point and what you are trying to say, but I do not think that the visuals is what differentiate the games. For me and many others it's the gameplay of the note charts that divided the games. Some liked GH's charts. Some liked RB's charts, and some liked both games charts.[/quote

Except aside from 3 note chords, the large majority of people cannot tell the difference. Both company had their share of horrible charts, but anyway since charts aren't made by an individual noticing what is by who gets much harder than one could think. People thought of GH5 has a better game, even though it had less "hits" than WT, less fun songs and more obscure shit. The difference? Visuals closer to GH3, a bigger explosion when you hit a note, more colors. I'm sure if you threw the GHWT charts into either RB2 or GH3, people would've though it was a fantastic game.

Also, Harmonix charting really gets in the way of their ridiculous engine. Sure, at causal play the hopos and note have a tming window that is barely noticeable as tighter (Except infinite holding front-ends, which GH got rid of post GH3). However, during random strums (Which I define as a HOPO followed by a strum of the same color, followed by hopos), the timing window gets EXTREMELY smaller. The actual reduction is easy to calculate: the window gets reduced to half the length between the note before and the strum, and to the following note after.

This mean that a 16NPS burst containing a random strum (common) see his timing window more than halved (200 to 93 ms) and a 22 NPS random strum falls to a third (68ms) of the timing window of a lonely chord.

This is why me, and most insane players really hate RB3 as far as guitar goes. For the guy who can play on expert, his timing window recquire him to be a tad more precise, and press a fret on time.

I'm gonna end my rant on timing window here. If we were to do a blind test to most players, they would fail to tell between a Neversoft chart and an Harmonix chart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys see this?

I know this isn't completely related (being over here on the GH side and all), but I figured it was relevant given the subject matter. I'm beginning to think that that 12 month estimate might not be that far off...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InsolentWill wrote:
Did you guys see this?

I know this isn't completely related (being over here on the GH side and all), but I figured it was relevant given the subject matter. I'm beginning to think that that 12 month estimate might not be that far off...

From the RB side version of this thread:

nextlevel88 wrote:
Also, keep in mind that developers laying off after the release of a big game doesn't always mean the sky is falling. It's not uncommon for studios to hire help when ramping up for a major release, then leaving some of them go after. I can't say for sure that the people that were laid off were temporary freelance programmers or anything, so don't hold me to that. But to say that "HMX had to let them go cuz Viacom isn't paying the bills anymore and they're broke!" is just as plausible as saying "HMX hired several programmers to finish RB3 on time, and now that the major bug-fixing patch is finished and released, they don't need them anymore."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Hero was the catalyst to a really great time in my life. I jokingly made a video of me rocking out (and then falling over), decided to put it on the internet, got a bunch of requests from strangers to do more, got into film editing as a hobby, won tournaments (and took my wife on our 2nd honeymoon because of a particularly profitable win), partied with people from all over the country, and made a lot of new friends...all because of this game.

Considering I'm a father now and don't have much free time anymore, I have a feeling that I'll be looking back on these days fondly for a long time.

And I don't care how nerdy that sounds. It's who I am. And that's fine with me.

THOSE WERE THE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYS!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 14 of 27

Jump to: