Lou Reed/Metallica - First song released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
FL4RE wrote:
BloodyFistHole wrote:
Album leaked. Got to 2:00 through Mistress Dread and just shut it off. I literally can't take any more.

You got further than me...38 seconds for the win.
I don't even want to check out the previews for the rest of the album.

Megadeth won this by a light year. Not only because Lulu is bloody awful, but because Megadeth have produced a brilliant album (better than Endgame that's for sure >_>)

Damn straight (Though I liked Endgame ;D)

I second this, although i've only heard 3 songs off of the new album, but it certainly looks promising.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
FL4RE wrote:
BloodyFistHole wrote:
Album leaked. Got to 2:00 through Mistress Dread and just shut it off. I literally can't take any more.

You got further than me...38 seconds for the win.
I don't even want to check out the previews for the rest of the album.

Megadeth won this by a light year. Not only because Lulu is bloody awful, but because Megadeth have produced a brilliant album (better than Endgame that's for sure >_>)

Damn straight (Though I liked Endgame ;D)

Meh Endgame had too many solos for my liking. And they were all like based around the B/high E string from fret 15 upwards I swear.
The only really good song on there was This Day We Fight...United Abominations sounded so much better. It just didn't sound like Megadeth.

Also...I showed my sister "The View", I mean she likes Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground, but even she said she couldn't listen to any more after about a minute of it.

I think that truly says how terrible this album is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album is horrible. There are barely ANY redeeming factors in this album aside from maybe the instrumentation on a few songs. The vocals are just...there is no word to describe how horrid and unfitting they are. I mean it makes Load (IMO) look like a good album, and I can't stand to listen to it. I don't know what possessed them to do this. The only thing I can think of is money, but even then they should've realized that this wasn't going to do that well. I've only heard maybe one or two reviews out of hundreds give this album a good review, and I agree with the ones that said it tanks. Hopefully the next album they put out will at least be on par with Death Magnetic, which honestly is a pretty solid album.
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You act like this is Metallica putting out an album. It's Lou Reed & Metallica. Just like Velvet Underground & Nico wasn't a Nico album. Lou Reed more than likely had all the creative power here. He's a man who clearly does not give a fuck about any popular response to his music (see Metal Machine Music). The album obviously sucks balls. Nobody in their right mind would deny that. But to hear people say "OH NO METALLICA SUCKS NOW DEATH MAGNETIC WAS BETTER."

Yeah. Because that was a Metallica album. This is not. Metallica is making another overproduced album with zero dynamic range to satisfy you as we speak. But lay off Lou Reed. He doesn't want you to like his music, so it's useless to complain. In fact, given how Metal Machine Music was probably just to troll his record label I don't think it'd be much of a stretch to say he did this just to piss off ignorant Metallica fans.

It worked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtresso wrote:
You act like this is Metallica putting out an album. It's Lou Reed & Metallica. Just like Velvet Underground & Nico wasn't a Nico album. Lou Reed more than likely had all the creative power here. He's a man who clearly does not give a fuck about any popular response to his music (see Metal Machine Music). The album obviously sucks balls. Nobody in their right mind would deny that. But to hear people say "OH NO METALLICA SUCKS NOW DEATH MAGNETIC WAS BETTER."

Yeah. Because that was a Metallica album. This is not. Metallica is making another overproduced album with zero dynamic range to satisfy you as we speak. But lay off Lou Reed. He doesn't want you to like his music, so it's useless to complain. In fact, given how Metal Machine Music was probably just to troll his record label I don't think it'd be much of a stretch to say he did this just to piss off ignorant Metallica fans.

It worked.

Metallica obviously agreed at one point to do this with him, and even said that this album was solid work. But Death Magnetic was NOT a bad album to begin with. I liked the album, and for what it is it definitely shows roots from their older days. No one can deny that. Also, what's the point of making an entire album to piss of tons and tons of people? To be a troll? Seriously that is a horrible reason to create an album that's going to hurt both Lou Reed and Metallica's fanbase. And calling those of us who enjoy their earlier work "ignorant" is an ignorant statement in itself.
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is it's not meant to be a follow-up to Death Magnetic as so many Metallica fans seem to think. It's a totally separate deal. Kanye West put out some god-awful verses featured on other peoples' work (see: Forever by Drake) between his actual albums but that didn't stop his fans from creaming their pants when My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy came out. So Metallica contributed to a complete atrocity. Whatever. Like I said, Death Magnetic 2.0 will be here soon enough.

I guess I do have to acknowledge that Metallica is somewhat at fault in the crime against humanity that is Lulu. But Metallica fans seem to think this is the end of Metallica, saying 'its even worse than [insert least favourite Metallica album]'. Realistically it should be compared to Lou Reed/Velvet Underground albums, as it's the brainchild of Lou Reed and has more in common musically with his work.

Comparing it with his catalog, it again comes in near the bottom.

Obviously this is a bit of a stain on Metallica's track record, but it's not a Metallica album.

Lastly, try listening to metal machine music from start to finish on vinyl. You can't because 1) it's just weird white noise for an hour and a half and 2) it ends on an infinite loop. After you try that, maybe you'll realize that Lou Reed lives to make weird shit that nobody likes. Some hipsters just pretend to like some of it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the fifth time I've tried to write this post and I'm going to keep it short, because I can't explain it properly. What I've been trying to say here is basically, I'm listening to this album again (first time since it was released), with a completely open mind and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe I'm just in that special zone you sometimes get into when you're hyper-focused on music and feeling a certain way, but my mind is managing to comprehend the music, something that I just couldn't do on release day.

Of course, starting the album on release day hearing the first lyrics "I would cut my legs and tits off when I think of Boris Karloff..." is a great way to throw you off. It completely shattered my expectations of what the album would sound like. Maybe now I just know what to expect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can pull any any bit of value out of that slop, then good for you lol
GuitarHeroFan101  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BloodyFistHole wrote:
"I would cut my legs and tits off when I think of Boris Karloff..."

What the...?
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHeroFan101 wrote:
BloodyFistHole wrote:

What the...?

to quote one review "Imagine your drunken uncle pretending to be a woman for karaoke night as your cousin's metallica cover garage band chugs sloppily in the background".

As someone who enjoys drone metal and avant-garde/ambient from time to time, I just felt the album was extremely poorly written/performed (mostly Lars drumming and Lou's sing talking); kudos to Metallica for trying something different though.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
GuitarHeroFan101  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
GuitarHeroFan101 wrote:
BloodyFistHole wrote:

What the...?

to quote one review "Imagine your drunken uncle pretending to be a woman for karaoke night as your cousin's metallica cover garage band chugs sloppily in the background".

As someone who enjoys drone metal and avant-garde/ambient from time to time, I just felt the album was extremely poorly written/performed (mostly Lars drumming and Lou's sing talking); kudos to Metallica for trying something different though.

Yes, they did try something different...Everybody has their own opinion, so some people enjoy it..I love Metallica's older music, such as the Master of Puppets album
JNCarvalho  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Lou Reed and I can hardly stand Metallica. People who like Lou Reed say it's an awful album. People who like Metallica say it's an awful album. It's hard to get in the mood to actually listen like this.
..Guitar hero Portugal WCG champion 08 / 09 / 10..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: