ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
ScoreHero PM Email Notifications (Service Available)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
codemann8  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: ScoreHero PM Email Notifications (Service Available) Reply with quote

I created a nice service for us. I wrote a job that every so often checks to see if you have a PM and it will automatically notify you by email.

Right now I have this checking every half hour, however depending how many people sign up, I may have to space out the timing.

Passwords are 128-bit encrypted so I'm doing my best to keep the data safe in case of a breach.

Enjoy!

Last edited by codemann8 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
codemann8  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...I noticed no one has signed up for this service...I'm guessing its from a lack of anyone seeing this thread but I find it very useful, especially since the game series is getting old and I'm finding myself checking the site less and less...this helps that

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two reasons why this service wouldn't be useful for me.

1. I check SH far more often than I check my email XD

2. I never get PM's anyway. :p

I could see this being very useful for moderators and JC however, so it would be interesting to see if they implement it.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeha like alex said, we check SH more than we think and i barely get any PM. it's a very neat service, i will sub for sure, but dont expect to get 5000 subscriptions, if you get 500, you'll have done a good job promoting it.

share this on RB side as well, you might get more attention.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
yeha like alex said, we check SH more than we think and i barely get any PM. it's a very neat service, i will sub for sure, but dont expect to get 5000 subscriptions, if you get 500, you'll have done a good job promoting it.

share this on RB side as well, you might get more attention.

Oh geez 500? much less 5000? That is way more than I thought, I was just expecting more than 1 (myself) which is what it is. But I figured that since GH is on the decline, less people would check SH, and more people are getting smartphones that connect to email that I thought it would be a more wanted thing.

Overall, I just feel better when people utilize things that take time to build. I could've easily just built this for myself, but I like to spread the wealth a little. If more interest shows, I may consider building an egosearch daily/hourly/etc digest of forums that people are watching. That might be a little more of a sought feature.

singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is a nice idea, but I don't think there's a lot of people using PM's enough to have a real need for it, and people may be reluctant to give out their password on an external site.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
...people may be reluctant to give out their password on an external site.

Yeah, there's that...although I did mention I'm encrypting the passwords...so I was hoping to ease that side of people's discomfort.

tma  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well be encrypting the password, but I presume that it needs to be able to decrypt them then inject them into ScoreHero. And if they can be decrypted by you, then they can be decrypted by someone else too...

Actually that wouldn't concern me overly much, except that it's impossible to change your password on ScoreHero - meaning if that password gets compromised, you're SOL. And there's no way to do an account recovery, because (you guessed it) emails don't work from ScoreHero.

In fact, I remember when emails used to work, and then they broke, and JCirri said he was going to fix it, and never did. That was maybe 3 years ago now. Some things never change. I'm pretty sure I even looked into what was the likely cause of the problem and suggested the fix, but no action was taken, and email notifications are still broken.

... Yes, it still annoys the hell out of me. ;)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
ricecake  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
it's impossible to change your password on ScoreHero

I just changed my password, logged out, logged back in with the new password to verify that it worked, changed it back, logged back out, then back in again with the old password, and I had no issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricecake wrote:
tma wrote:
it's impossible to change your password on ScoreHero

I just changed my password, logged out, logged back in with the new password to verify that it worked, changed it back, logged back out, then back in again with the old password, and I had no issues.

Hmm, ok maybe I'm getting that mixed up.

You definitely can't recover your account if you lose your password, without direct admin intervention, because the forum never sends out emails. It also broke the "notify me when a reply is posted" option on threads.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
it's impossible to change your password on ScoreHero - meaning if that password gets compromised, you're SOL. And there's no way to do an account recovery, because (you guessed it) emails don't work from ScoreHero.
No, sorry, that's incorrect. Password changing does work (see above) and even if that doesn't work for you, there is still password recovery even without automatic emails. If you lose access to your account go to http://www.scorehero.com/forum/profile.php?mode=sendpassword . I process those requests every day. The one current flaw is that there isn't a link to the password recovery on the main site login, only on the forum login page...so if you always login on the main site page you might not have never seen that.

tma wrote:
In fact, I remember when emails used to work, and then they broke, and JCirri said he was going to fix it, and never did. That was maybe 3 years ago now. Some things never change. I'm pretty sure I even looked into what was the likely cause of the problem and suggested the fix, but no action was taken, and email notifications are still broken.
They're not actually broken, I don't think they ever were. The problem is that someone reported the domain as spamming causing all kinds of problems. JC has voluntarily disabled the emailing function to avoid that problem. From what he's told me there's really no way for it to work in the current incarnation of the site but we hope that to change whenever the new one comes about.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
You may well be encrypting the password, but I presume that it needs to be able to decrypt them then inject them into ScoreHero. And if they can be decrypted by you, then they can be decrypted by someone else too...

You are definitely correct...however, that is also why I went out of my way to separate the encrypted passwords from the decryption key as far as I can think of so that in case of a break-in...the likelyhood of them finding both is not very.

singemfrc wrote:
They're not actually broken, I don't think they ever were. The problem is that someone reported the domain as spamming causing all kinds of problems. JC has voluntarily disabled the emailing function to avoid that problem. From what he's told me there's really no way for it to work in the current incarnation of the site but we hope that to change whenever the new one comes about.

This is what I've heard also

tma  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
tma wrote:
it's impossible to change your password on ScoreHero - meaning if that password gets compromised, you're SOL. And there's no way to do an account recovery, because (you guessed it) emails don't work from ScoreHero.
No, sorry, that's incorrect. Password changing does work (see above) and even if that doesn't work for you, there is still password recovery even without automatic emails. If you lose access to your account go to http://www.scorehero.com/forum/profile.php?mode=sendpassword . I process those requests every day. The one current flaw is that there isn't a link to the password recovery on the main site login, only on the forum login page...so if you always login on the main site page you might not have never seen that.

You're right, as I said above. I must have got that mixed up (there was definitely another site I was involved with that had a broken password change system and you could never change your password, ever), however automatic password recovery is still broken - it requires manual intervention, as I said and as you've confirmed. I understand this might not be a big deal, but I'm just pointing it out as one of those long term issues that shouldn't have ever been an issue and should have been relatively straightforward to fix at the time, but wasn't for whatever reason.

singemfrc wrote:
tma wrote:

I'm pretty sure they were actually broken at one point, beyond any spamming issues. From memory: the site was reported for spamming (I think it was because of the number of emails being sent about updates to threads at the time, or perhaps some other automatic notifications). This was resolved, but in the meantime I think JCirri updated the forum software, which changed some of the email code. When JCirri turned email notifications back on, they simply didn't work. I recall looking into it and there were options withing PHPBB to either use a local mail commend and let the OS handle delivery, or hand off to an SMTP server directly. I suggested at the time to try the other option, but I think by the email had been put into the too hard basket and it's been the same ever since.

Even IF the email volume was too high, surely you could disable PART of the system (say, topic notification emails) and leave important stuff like PM notifications and password recovery notifications active. I find it pretty hard to believe that it's impossible to change those parts of the system - I've run my own sites for years, and even run PHPBB based forums, and it's just not that hard.

Given the decrease in activity since the sites heyday, I struggle to believe that enabling the email notifications at this point would cause any spam checkers to blink. Surely, given that it's probably nothing more than a tick box in the settings, this could be re-enabled now to see if it causes a problem? Why does the entire site structure need to change in order to re-enable a checkbox in the forum software?

Anyway, I'm sorry, I didn't really want to go into a re-hash of my issues with JCirri's approach to problems again - it's re-opening some old wounds for me now.

Edit: just did a little digging, and here's where I reported the issue: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15499

If you follow the thread, it indicates that notifications should be working, as the spam issue was actually resolved.

My guess regarding the spam issue itself? Read this thread: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10844

My guess is that because there was a huge backlog of notifications that suddenly got sent out in a flood, some providers and recipients marked it as spam even though it wasn't, and this caused some headaches. This was eventually resolved.

So, basically, email notifications have been broken for 5 years and it's nothing to do with spam issues.

I also recall contacting JCirri directly and offering the use of my mail server as an interim measure to work around some of the issues, and for troubleshooting problems. He was interested in that, but never took me up on it, and then the email issue kind of got lost in the other noise of the site's development.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: