Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The 2012 Political Race Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is simply a fascination with areas of America that are not a part of the mainland. At least in my perception, there is something exciting about visiting places like Hawaii and Alaska, so I think Puerto Rico would have similar effects. I have nothing against Puerto Rico in it's current situation though, if that's what you're implying. :p

Sure, right now I could vacation there if I wanted and I wouldn't need a passport, so there's really nothing from stopping me other than simply having no money for it (which, in the time it would take for it to become a state, maybe I could afford a vacation!). But think of people like youhas, who try to visit every county or every state in America; becoming a state WOULD increase tourism, whether it seems silly to you or not.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
Here's a pretty good recent collection of health violations:
http://familyfoundation.org/2012/09/breaking-news-fetal-remains-blood-found-in-virginia-abortion-center/

Alright, I'm only making two general responses to this

1) The Family Foundation clearly has a vested interest in making these things sound as outrageous and horrible as possible. They are strongly anti-abortion, and they want people who look at their website to think "oh, how horrible! I'd better support The Family Foundation so they can stop things like this from happening"

2) Citations happen all the time in health care, food service, child care, etc. A citation will be issued if something is not perfectly how it's supposed to be, including any sort of missing records - say the employees are actually fully trained, but the admin misfiled the records. That's a citation for not being able to show your employees have the proper training.

Admittedly, seeing this raises my level of concern regarding the standard of care at these facilities (level of concern going from "not concerned" to "slightly concerned a little"). However I don't think it's fair to make a full judgment until I know what the citation histories are for other health-care providers in the area. If the average area hospital gets 15 citations per inspection, then it's not fair to single out the PP clinics.

Anyway, Puerto Rico! I think it'd be pretty cool if they become a state. I talked to my sister about this, and she lives in DC, so she's sorta upset that PR might get to be a state before DC. Hailz is right that it'll look bad for republicans if they block PR statehood; it would likely be a strong Democratic-voting state (though DC would be even more sure, one of the reasons republicans would never approve statehood).

Also, my mom works at AAA and interacts with a lot of people planning vacations. People are dumb, and think that Puerto Rico is another country, or at least that they would need a passport. So statehood would probably make idiots more likely to visit because they'll think it's easier even if it's the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Page 32 of 32

Jump to: