ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
youhas is: in one of the Headliner Contender bands for Umloud!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: youhas is: in one of the Headliner Contender bands for Umlou Reply with quote

I know I've mentioned Umloud on multiple previous occasions. It's a Rock Band stage-performance event up in San Francisco that happens every December. Donate some cash to get a time slot on stage; get up there with costumes a-blazing and melt some faces with plastic instrument rock; all proceeds go to charity, into the coffers of the Child's Play network.

Every year, Umloud has a Headliner Band. The Headliner Band gets a ton of awesome perks: top billing at the show and a two song setlist, along with a band logo designed for them, T-shirts printed up with that logo, a Behind The Music-style mockumentary shot about the band's history - all sorts of cool stuff. In the past, there was simply an auction for the Headliner slot, where the biggest donor won. This year, Umloud is going with a multi-phase approach. Apply to be one of the Headliner bands with a write-up of what awesome things you have planned. The top three awesome applications will be dubbed as Contenders. And then the Contender band that raises the most money for charity before the deadline will become the Headliner, with all the awesomeness associated with it.

And I am part of a Contender band this year - "Forever Alone, Together" - alongside other ScoreHero people! Check us out, yo:
http://umloud.org/bands/headliner/contenders/62

Pictured, left to right: BreakManX, BreakManX's wife, pmswedge, Hitoshura, youhas. Not pictured: BreakManX's sister and our non-SH friend Phing.

We also have a Facebook page, if that's more your cup of tea. Trying to clear some hurdles to get more of our band pictures into our feed, but the back-story write-up of our band is in place, at least:
http://www.facebook.com/somebodytolove.us

We've got mutiple fundraising events on the horizon, including one or two in-person jam sessions (for SF Bay Area locals) and hopefully an online streaming session wherein we'll take pledges and requests. It's gonna be awesome. I know there are umpteen scrillion causes fighting for your time and money... but if you saw fit to follow the link above and chip a couple bucks into the "help 'Forever Alone, Together' become awesome!" hopper, that would really be super-appreciated.

Thanks a ton, party people! We will now open the floor to questions and comments.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing video games for charity? Yep, I'm sold.

I fully support your cause and threw in a Jackson for you towards Child's Play. You'll have to send video of your performance if you make it. And please, for the love of Morbo, smash a guitar onstage. Everyone will go nuts, I guarantee it.

I'm assuming you're "Honest Tex." You guys definitely need to write a fake bio. Include all of your former members, bad break ups, ODs, groupies, comebacks, "greatest hits" all the fun stuff that comes with a world recognized band.

Youhas away!

HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg say hi to everyone for me, youhas! I wish I was still in the Bay Area so I could meet up with all of you guys again, but I'll be supporting you from Sacramento for now

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this? Hylian's posting outside of the NFL Thread?! =P

Anyway, this looks like a fantastic idea and I honestly wish I could get involved in it. Good luck in the meantime though!
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
youhas  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinnywhitecomic: Much obliged, sir! Fortunately, if last year is anything to go by, there should be a live stream of the event as it's happening, plus recordings of the performances that get stowed away for future reference. So with any luck, ScoreHero folks of all stripes should be able to see me hamming it up on stage until the end of days.

And yep, I'm "Honest Tex". One of the priorities from last weekend's band meeting was figuring out where all our characters were from and how they all fit together into our awesome band tapestry. Accordingly to our back-story, "Forever Alone, Together" is the media front-end of an international mail-order bride concern that was started up only a couple of years ago, so we don't have a ton of band history. (It's sort of assumed that as our talented ladies marry off, they leave the troupe, and are replaced by new talented ladies brought into the fold.) But the ladies themselves, do they ever have back-stories to tell, as do Jenkins and Tex, the front-men of the group. We are, indeed, quietly penning all those to be shared on our band website shortly, such that folks might know the true underpinnings of the band's shenanigans.

Fun fact: I think we're all of $16 ahead of the second-place band at the moment. So the margin of victory is something less than the amount of spare change in my car. :p If you feel like chipping in a couple bucks, or just "liking" us on Facebook and screaming our praises to the heavens, dude, we would appreciate it. Links in the OP and in my sig as of this writing.

HylianHero wrote:
omg say hi to everyone for me, youhas! I wish I was still in the Bay Area so I could meet up with all of you guys again, but I'll be supporting you from Sacramento for now

Heh - can do! Although honestly, almost half my band is up in Suisun City. You are undoubtedly closer to them than I am, doubly so in rush-hour traffic. We're doing a Halloween party fundraiser up there on the evening of 10/26. Drop me a line somewhere if you want an invite. Mr. Green

youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I am entirely certain that anyone cares, but in any event, an update:

The Good News: We've managed to raise over $1,600 for Child's Play! That's more than any band has been able to pull in during any prior year! Bully for us! There's just one catch:
The Bad News: The competing band has been just as productive as well, and in fact is a full $200 ahead of us as of this writing. (God only knows what the lead will be when you read this. There are anonymous folks dumping big money in on both sides. It's nuts.) It's not an insurmountable amount - we've had random crazy donations trickling in for weeks - but we're running out of time.

So I'll toss up the request one last time: can you help me and my ScoreHero band over the hump, toss a couple bucks our way, and help us secure our rightful place as the band who should be headlining this whole shindig? That donation link:
http://umloud.org/bands/headliner/contenders/forever_alone_together

Honestly, if I had a $5 donation from every person who told me "oh, your Twitter feed is so awesome!" or "dude, you make the funniest posts!" or the like, this wouldn't even be a competition; we would be curb-stomping the other band and gliding to victory in a walk. If you think I've managed to be at least as entertaining as a single $5 Footlong over the years, chipping a fiver in towards my cause would be a fantastic way to express that sentiment, for which I would certainly be thankful.

And if you start making your way up to the $20+ donation level? Hell, that opens up a flood of possibilities. I've got a bucket of unused rollover minutes on my cell; you (assuming you live in the U.S.) can have an exceedingly random phone chat with me sometime! Local to the SF Bay Area? I'll spring for lunch or dinner with you using one of my many, many Groupons! The possibilities are endless, really.

The window for band donations closes at midnight tonight, Pacific Time - 3am for you east coast folks. Anything you can give - all of which goes straight to the Child's Play charity - would be awesome beyond words. So give a little if you can, please? Here, I'll even re-post the link, to save your scrolling finger unwarranted duress:
http://umloud.org/bands/headliner/contenders/forever_alone_together

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas is definitely worth more than what I donated, but times are a little tight until the next payday. I hope y'all manage to win! It looks like you're closing the gap now. Hopefully ScoreHero will come through.

Good luck Tex!

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Hailz! Honestly, every last little bit helps. I can't even count how much of our band's total has come from folks, online and off, tossing $5 or $10 our way. And win or lose, it all goes to an awesome cause at the end of the day.

And yeah, we're clawing our way back into contention. When I started penning my post last night, we were down by $100; by the time I finished, I had to edit it to $200; a half-hour I posted, it was back down to $150; it's since been melting away to the current ~$100 deficit. It's a hill to climb, but we're still in this thing!

alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on becoming part of the headliner band! 3000 bucks is an insane amount, especially since what, half of that came from the last few hours of the contest? Great job, hope you put on an amazing show, I'm sure you will
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was just a blisteringly insane evening. $1300+ came in for us during the last 3.5 hours. Admittedly, some of that I knew was coming - we'd raised $400 in cash at an earlier party and I was just waiting for the opportunity to dump it all in - but much of the rest came from Points Unknown, including a $500 colony-drop of a donation when we were behind the 8-ball and pretty much on the cusp of throwing in the towel. And then you had the part where it was two minutes to midnight, and the bands were tied - OK, technically we had a 33 cent lead, LOLOLOL - and 25 donations all got shoveled in at once, so it took a while for everything to get sorted out....

Screwy as hell. And an unprecedented amount for Umloud to have their bands raise. Last year, the Headliner Band brought in $1,600; this year, between the two competing bands (and the one that had to withdraw early on), we brought in over $6K for charity. Either way, so glad that we won. Now, back to the emails with me, where we're trying to make sure that we can put together an experience rockstar enough that our legions of loving donors totally deserve! Mr. Green

youhas  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well, yes, Youhas," you note, "attempting to become the chief charitable band for this endeavor is a noble cause. But I desire something... more. Like you in costume? Spitting out a lukewarm Texan accent? Whilst folks speaking in faux-French accents berate you? OK, then I might listen to what you have to say."

OK, then: fine. FINE. Here's the awesome YouTube video of both bands in character, trash-talking one another, band captains experiencing a Romeo-and-Juliet-style star-crossed-lovers shindig. I hope you're happy now. Show your support by making your way out to San Francisco on Thursday, or throwing $5 into the kitty at random, or otherwise making your appreciation for such madcap amateur goodness readily known....

skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I am disappointed in your Texas accent.

Second, I WANT MORE. You played this past Thursday (supposedly), but my schedule prevented me from seeing this (assuming you live streamed the event). SHOW ME EVIDENCE, please.

youhas  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
Firstly, I am disappointed in your Texas accent.

As am I! Honestly, if I'd just been acting, I would've actually researched matters to get the cadences and vernacular down right. Instead, I was directing, authoring, coordinating, doing some wardrobing, occasionally catering, and otherwise occupied, yielding "sloppy and too-fast-by-a-third muddled Southerner" instead.

Fortunately, it had been made canon at some point that Honest Tex was not actually born in Texas, but had moved there at some unspecified point. He is aggressively coy about his origins, but a common guess was that he was some sketchy dude from Connecticut or somewhere, saw some random car salesmen yammering away in commercials from a couple of Southern states, and just decided to adopt that as a new "Texan" persona. Accent justified! Mr. Green

(Yes, of course my fake band has canon. You can read the bios of every last lovely lady, if you'd like. It is... uh, possible that I occasionally spent a half-hour on Wikipedia, picking out just the right home province that would make sense with their back-story or whatnot, for the precisely zero people who would ever notice or care. Including the lady herself, in at least one case.)

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
Second, I WANT MORE. You played this past Thursday (supposedly), but my schedule prevented me from seeing this (assuming you live streamed the event). SHOW ME EVIDENCE, please.

There is, indeed, a recorded version of the live stream available through twitch.tv. I guess they're working on chopping the bits up into actual per-band performances that will end up on YouTube... but for now, everything is just sort of chopped into awkwards blocks of performance. The second half of our set starts in [url=http://www.twitch.tv/umloud/b/345947938]this clip here[/i], and continues along through follow-up songs by our other friends, among myriad other things.

Caveats:
- Man, someone needs to talk to whoever did the audio mixing. The microphones come in at 100x louder than anything else, so you can't hear things like "crowd noise" or "instruments" worth a damn.
- Meanwhile, when you are actually on stage, you can't hear yourself singing in the slightest, so you're just going by some combination of screen-reading and tone-memory. Which is just awesome when you're trying to bust out Queen harmonies, my bandmates assure me.

So do not expect glorious resonant quadrophonic glory or anything. But proof that we existed on stage and Rock Banded for charity: that we got.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: