ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Are radio stations playing more GH tracks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSnatch  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Ruby a couple months ago on the radio, I thought that was a bit strage.
Well, no, not really. See, with the banana, you have the choice to eat it soon after buying it, avoiding the rotting situation and enjoying some tasty food while it's fresh. The situation with Bat Country, on the other hand, is venting over an inevitability. It's more like "Death, taxes, and 12-year-olds overplaying Avenged Sevenfold songs online."
schism  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends on the wide variety of disc jokeys out there, and since Guitar Hero has come to so many households, it wouldn't surprise me if they did play more music from it.
Light  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this to a certain degree on my local radio stations. Though by far the strangest thing for me is how many GH songs they play on the intercom or whatever at the Grocery Store where I work at. The other day they started playing Cult of Personality while I was at work and I couldn't help but start air fretting the song.
Guitar Hero 80s Log!
Jordan Passed!
John the Fisherman FC =\
Heart Shaped Box FC LOL
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I was in the car, listening to the radio, and none other than Crazy on You came on. I then changed the station, and lo and fucking behold, o0o0o0o0h Barracuda. I change the station again, and it's JESSICA.

I AM NOT LYING.

It stopped there though (this was all on XM stations).

BigSnatch wrote:
I heard Ruby a couple months ago on the radio, I thought that was a bit strage.

It's a pretty popular song (especially in England)
stumper93  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Train Kept A-Rollin the other day, , been hearing a lot of Jessica, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, in fact just today I heard Possum Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...Winnipeg's #1 rock station just played Through the Fire and Flames. The announcer was totally making fun of it, saying they were only playing it because 12 fans of Guitar Hero kept requesting it and said Dragonforce were a new version of Stryper.

http://power97.com/station/playlist.aspx

Scroll down to 6:22 PM
Strykerx  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica and Can't You Hear me Knockin' have been played as background on the weather channel multiple times.

Personally, after GH2 came out, I heard War Pigs a lot for some reason or another.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Much Loud last night and 3's and 7's and Monsters both played within 10 minutes of each other. Coincidence, or conspiracy? You decide.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is an increase I think it's barely noticeable. The songs just happen to catch your ear on the radio after you've played them a hundred times in the game.

You people can't honestly tell me that Free Bird / Sharp Dressed Man / Radar Love / etc. haven't been played likely hundreds of times on your radio before they came out in the GH games, can you?
Kuzmits  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely noticed GH/RB songs being played on radio far more than before, and I'm positive it's not just me noticing them more.

If a song is in GH, it is automatically going to gain popularity, that's common sense. Radio stations just want to capitalize on that.
Anaesthesia  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Check this out. It could be a few things.

1. The GH series and Rock Band are full of what you could call classic staples. I heard songs like La Grange, WTTJ. Smoke on the Water, Tom Sawyer and suchlike 100 times a day on the radio before I played GH, and I still do. And, yeah, the classic rock station here seems to like Heart a lot, but again, always has. (I almost punched myself in the face when I saw Barracuda AND Crazy on You were in GH)

2. Yes, you may notice it a lot now, but that's just because before you played you didn't identify any songs as "being in Guitar Hero."

3. If you're a longtime player, remember there are five games now. Counting the career setlist songs as ones you're likely to hear on the radio, that's still 190 songs. Chances are you will hear ten or more of them daily on generic classic rock radio.

4. The planets have aligned in a disagreeable fashion and reality is trying to piss you off. This happened to a friend of mine once, when he complained he hadn't heard any songs other than "Heartbreaker" in more than a day...he'd walk past someone's car and hear it on the radio, turn on the TV and they were doing some thing about Zeppelin, and all sorts of progressively-less-believable-if-I-hadn't-been-there-for-most-of-it things. This may have happened to you as well.

If you've read the thread about the guy breaking his wrist, yes, this is also the guy who cut off his own cast. He also told me he's seen a UFO once. Maybe the aliens were trying to get him to listen to more Zeppelin?

FC progress (GH-GH2-80s-GH3-GHA-WT)
M: 47-64-30-70-41-86(G)-84(B): 422/422
H: 41-55-25-62-36-65(G)-72(B): 356/422
X: 22-20-11-33-20-51(G)-68(B): 225/422

"Forgive yourself, for no one else will die for your crimes."
Nuke39  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of noticeable for me. I listen to two rock stations, 99.3 and 98.5, and they usually have a knack for playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs in succession. It varies at times during the day, but who knows. In one sitting though with about...100 minutes of driving I heard about 7 songs from the games. For example, during a song six pack, I heard Cult of Personality, Don't Fear The Reaper, and Epic in a row. (The 4th song was an older Green Day song, but I had reached my house anyway) There's got to be a correlation. Or another time, I heard One leading to Foreplay/Long Time. Two songs over 7 minutes.

I do believe there are some songs that are generally played alot, the most common for me being: Sharp Dressed Man, No One Like You, La Grange, The Pretender, Welcome to the Jungle.

I believe this trend is coming from GH3 and RB due to their overwhelming success. But I think it's the right move since it does make people listen and they are good songs for the record. It's kind of nice though, because everytime I drive, I'll hear a song that makes me go, "Hey, that song is on _____" and I smile.

But here's probably the weirdest/freakiest moment with this topic. On New Years' Day, they released the singles for Rock Band. And I watch Sully's vid on youtube. Then when I go out to drive to get lunch, I hear one of the announced songs from the pack. (Limelight by Rush) And I haven't heard it again sense, so there are some people getting the message.
duck  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY TIME im at work we listen to the radio and EVER TIME my friends tell me to shut up because im always saying "ZOMG THIS SONG IS IN GUITAR HERO!"
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: I Duckzorz I
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anaesthesia wrote:
OK. Check this out. It could be a few things.

1. The GH series and Rock Band are full of what you could call classic staples. I heard songs like La Grange, WTTJ. Smoke on the Water, Tom Sawyer and suchlike 100 times a day on the radio before I played GH, and I still do. And, yeah, the classic rock station here seems to like Heart a lot, but again, always has. (I almost punched myself in the face when I saw Barracuda AND Crazy on You were in GH)

2. Yes, you may notice it a lot now, but that's just because before you played you didn't identify any songs as "being in Guitar Hero."

3. If you're a longtime player, remember there are five games now. Counting the career setlist songs as ones you're likely to hear on the radio, that's still 190 songs. Chances are you will hear ten or more of them daily on generic classic rock radio.

QFT.

A lot of the songs in the GH series have always been commonly played on the radio (especially the classic rock songs - I mean, before playing it in GH, I used to loathe "Carry on Wayward Son", so I hated that it got played all the time, and this was 10 years ago), but before they appeared in the game, most people wouldn't have made the association. Now that we're all perhaps too intimately familiar with the songs, we're especially attuned to picking them out if they get played on the radio, in a store, in a passing car, etc. We've developed a special radar for them.

At the same time, there may be some truth to the fact that the success of Guitar Hero could have inspired a resurgence of popularity in certain songs. I know that TTFAF has enjoyed quite a bit of success lately, which be quite directly tied to the fact that it's featured as "the hardest song in GH". But the more classic songs have always been played a ton in my experience.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
SomeonesAngel  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punism3nt wrote:
Its a random fact but "Through the Fire and Flames" got to top 50 on Itunes about a week after Guitar Hero 3 came out.

yeah but not to mention thats the only reason its on there. don't get me wrong i like the song(sorta). but i think it is SOOO over played. and ppl go crazy about dragon force. UGH

as my second job i deliver pizzas and on the radio i swear there is a station that dedicates all their music to GH RB listeners... oh how i love that station.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: