ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Never played GH, which one should I get first?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recommendation threads seem to turn toward fanboyism quick..

anyway, if you want more recent songs, go for band hero/GH5. however, if you want more of a challenge, go for GH2/GH3 (GH2 has some insane stuff, and a pretty difficult engine, and GH3 has more overall harder charts).
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanceBriggs55 wrote:
Thanks alot for your warm welcome and suggestions. I own a PS3, not one that is backwards compatible though, so GH2 is out of the question. Probably leaning towards GH3, GH5 or GH:SH. Not sold yet on Rock Band or Band Hero. There's so many fricken Guitar/Rock/Band games out now, it gets confusing.

There are problems with the PS3 Les Paul so I hear, so I'd 100% recommend getting GH5 with the guitar bundle. The new guitar is pretty good, I haven't heard of any problems with it.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
dmaster13  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smash Hits or 5 is probably your best bet then. If you end up getting 5, my PSN name is NLG21, I'll play with you if you want. I don't have Smash Hits at the moment but i'll be getting it at one point.

Goals:

Top 5 on RB2 PS3 hard drums [ ]
GET A GH5 BAND STARTED [ ]
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say look at the setlist for each game and decide which one has themore songs you'll enjoy.

Engine wise : GH5 is spot on, while GH3 is a vry close second. GH/GH2 are exremely tight engines while GH3 and everythiing above is far more friendly.

But watch out for PS3 Les Pauls, they are faulty.

Good luck !!
Gamer9254  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Paul:

Wii: Excellent

360: Excellent

PS3: CMPLET SUXORZ LOLOLO

Seriously, don't buy the PS3 Les Paul controller. It fails hard. I tried it, and I missed half the notes that I did on my normal guitar (PS2 Kramer used with TAC Adapter). I played a part of Caprici DI DIable (extremely hard DLC song on RB2). I played it with the Kramer: 80%. Les Paul = 40%. Repeated several times only to get the same result. DOn't get the PS3 Les Paul. Period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: LightSwitchTTM
MercyfulFate  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
cdylan13 wrote:
I would suggest to you that the best game out of the series to me has been Rock Band 2. An excellent setlist, about 70/84 are from MAJOR bands. It has the cleanest engine and least amount of game-changing glitches or problems. It also has over 800 DLC now, if you can't find something there then wow haha. If you like The Beatles I'd go with that first (The Beatles: Rock Band), but you really should like the Beatles to enjoy that one fully. If you are purely looking for a poppy setlist, I'd go with Band Hero, as nearly the entire game is based around chart-topping rock and pop. GH5's setlist has a lot of indie and bands that I've never heard of, so if the setlist you are looking for is the one you wanted in your OP, go Band Hero over GH5.

Okay, I'll split that post in two for the sake of responding.

The bolded bit: yup, I absolutely agree with that.

The unbolded bit: there was actually quite a lot of songs in Band Hero that I'd never heard before I played it, so the 'chart-topping' comment probably depends on whether or not you live in America.

Overall, for anyone just getting into plastic guitar games, my first suggestion would be Rock Band 2, based on the engine and immense DLC library, as well as exportable songs from RB1 and Lego RB. If it's specifically the Guitar Hero franchise you're looking at... I'm possibly not the best equipped to judge but, based solely on the forgivingness of the engine, I'll say GH3.

Interesting that nobody's said GHWT, though possibly not surprising.

I'd have to disagree, the awful timing window, square gems and visuals of RB are a turn off.

http://dlcquickplay.com/user/battlestarfire
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MercyfulFate wrote:
thecaptainof wrote:
snip

I'd have to disagree, the awful timing window, square gems and visuals of RB are a turn off.

Ah, y'see, that's where it all gets a bit lolopinion. I prefer the square gems and visuals. As for the timing window, RB2 is far more suited to my calibration needs so it wins by default. No matter what I try, I can't get any of the GH games to calibrate perfectly.

It sort of goes without saying that every post in this topic should come with a disclaimer along the lines of "your mileage may vary".

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Van Halen. It is incredibly fun and hard and the songs are catchy and good. If it's quantity you're looking for I would suggest GH5 for guitar hero and RB2 for rock band. The DLC can top over 900 and near 1000 songs (that is of course if you have like $2000 ) GH5 can top around 300. But i would suggest either of those two since they vary on DLC so you'll maybe/always get what you want

EDIT: 300th posts bizotches

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
Yeloow  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a hard choice to make cuz there are many GHs nowadays lool I'd say get GH3 Cuz it has the best charts and songs xD and the DLC is mint i have all GH and ill never play any of them for as long as i've played 3

O_O in fact i dont think ill ever play any game as much as 3 xD

Although u have to be careful with the PS3 les paul as people have said, i mean i had no problems with mine but i dont know anyone else who hasnt even on 360 O_O
mjharper  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best game for someone just starting out would be Rock Band 2. It has a fun single player, a great, diverse songlist, and the multiplayer is the best out there. And you can beat Rock Band's library for downloadable songs. In the end, though, the difference between game engines is pretty subtle, especially for someone just starting out. I'd say just go with the game that has the best songlist.

I will add, though, that I much prefer the Guitar Hero guitars to those for Rock Band. I can go either way on the drum sets, but avoid the Rock Band guitar if possible.

</opinion>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 3229904674934577
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a PS2 for cheap, then buy a used cherry SG, and buy the GH1/2 double pack (if they are still out there).

But if you don't want to do that then RB2 probably. And if you don't want a RB game then go with GH5. But RB2 is IMO the best rhythm game on the market. Good setlist with a shitload of DLC if you want to dabble into that.

And I strongly suggest not getting Band Hero, but eh, you said you aren't really into metal/rock, so maybe some Tay Swift and some other non-exciting pop songs are good to you.

Also Band Hero is in with the GH franchise. You didn't seem to understand that. It's GH5 with a bunch of pop songs. And I guess you could go with GH3. It's pretty good too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with GH: Smash Hits. It has a great mix of songs that are good to start out on and then builds up to stuff more challenging. Could spend alot of time there.

I wouldn't go back to anything before World Tour. There's been alot of gameplay changes since then and World Tour on up is the better timing and gameplay.

After Smash Hits, if your managing stuff on hard to expert, then I'd recommend GH5. After that, I highly recommend GH:Metallica and GH: Van Halen. Tons of great songs.

You could do Rock Band 2 also, but it can be tough to go back between both. The timing windows are so different. I stay on top of GH, but not playing RB alot means I go back and playing the solo's end up being awful cause the timing window is so strict lol
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
You could do Rock Band 2 also, but it can be tough to go back between both. The timing windows are so different. I stay on top of GH, but not playing RB alot means I go back and playing the solo's end up being awful cause the timing window is so strict lol

I just discovered why I have such a hard time choosing which game to play, play three songs, and stop.

THE TIMING WINDOW O_O
LanceBriggs55  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 month old bump.

I caved in and bought GH3 & GH5. Down here in Australia, there's like no bundles left for any of the GH or RB games on any console besides the Wii. So I had to buy one of those black Logitech guitars. It worked out ok, they've dropped substantially in price ($400 at release, $100 now) and I'm quite happy with the feel of it.

I've started out on medium, I'm not 100% comfortable yet, my fingers still lose their position at times, or my mind forgets which button to push. I've tried hard on some of the easy songs, and I'm finding it difficult to adjust to the addition of the orange fret button. When using 2 hands for games (ie. DJH) I can cope ok, but my individual finger dexerity is terrible. I think I might be better off sticking to the drums when I buy some.

So my next question is, are the stock RB drums any good? Or is there a 3rd party kit out there that is "premium quality"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanceBriggs55 wrote:
7 month old bump.

I caved in and bought GH3 & GH5. Down here in Australia, there's like no bundles left for any of the GH or RB games on any console besides the Wii. So I had to buy one of those black Logitech guitars. It worked out ok, they've dropped substantially in price ($400 at release, $100 now) and I'm quite happy with the feel of it.

I've started out on medium, I'm not 100% comfortable yet, my fingers still lose their position at times, or my mind forgets which button to push. I've tried hard on some of the easy songs, and I'm finding it difficult to adjust to the addition of the orange fret button. When using 2 hands for games (ie. DJH) I can cope ok, but my individual finger dexerity is terrible. I think I might be better off sticking to the drums when I buy some.

So my next question is, are the stock RB drums any good? Or is there a 3rd party kit out there that is "premium quality"?

It's pretty natural to be feeling the stuff you're feeling while playing GH for the first few times, give it more time before deciding to go drums, you'll be surprised

The transition to the orange fret is a nightmare for 99% of the players, don't feel discouraged and keep going at it, it'll feel amazing when you finally get the hang of it!

That's pretty much all the advice one can give, along with not ignoring some of the more advanced stuff like HOPOs and alt strumming. If you completely ignore them, it'll SUCK when you actually have to learn to use them to pass songs, I'd know since that's what I did T_T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: