SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bad grammar in music industry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kainiac  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarroker wrote:
No, "I" only works if you are the topic of the sentence, not the object. Plus, "I" and "me" are the exact same amount of syllables: one. No excuse, and I don't think it "flows better" or anything.

Ok. So rewrite the lines

Time is going by
so much faster than I

with "me"instead of I and still have it rhyme and make sense with the style of the song.........no excuse my ass.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most lonliest day of my liiiiiiiiiiiiiife

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
styxmaniac  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kainiac wrote:
guitarroker wrote:
No, "I" only works if you are the topic of the sentence, not the object. Plus, "I" and "me" are the exact same amount of syllables: one. No excuse, and I don't think it "flows better" or anything.

Ok. So rewrite the lines

Time is going by
so much faster than I

with "me"instead of I and still have it rhyme and make sense with the style of the song.........no excuse my ass.

"I" is the correct word for proper grammar. It really means "Time is going by so much faster than I (am going). "Than I" is an adverb clause modifying the adjective "faster." All clauses, whether subordinate or independent, must have both a subject and a verb, so by saying "than me," you are saying "than me am going." These are also known as elliptical clauses.

Oh, and poetic license dictates that none of what is written above this matters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who noticed this?

The title of the thread wrote:
Bad grammar in music industry

Seems a bit hypocritical, don't you think?
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why must you guys insist on swallowing the OP? It's not like he was saying what he said with any malice, he was just wondering why people wrote songs they way they did. Nothing to get upset over.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummet3 wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't mention any rap songs.

I heard some song the other day with the lyrics "Buy you a drank", Now, That's just bad grammar. Because, buy you a drink flows just as well, correct?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
Twang  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS RIVER'S RUNNING VIOLENCE
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
TheJackpotter  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
bummet3 wrote:

I heard some song the other day with the lyrics "Buy you a drank", Now, That's just bad grammar. Because, buy you a drink flows just as well, correct?

Are you sure it wasn't just the Afro-American accent? I know, this made me look racist.
BNghfreak12  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
Why must you guys insist on swallowing the OP? It's not like he was saying what he said with any malice, he was just wondering why people wrote songs they way they did. Nothing to get upset over.

Agreed. No need to antagonize. The OP was just asking a simple question.
Danez0rz  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, wouldn't it just be used to rhyme and make the song sound better. Cause if you think about it if people always used correct grammer in there songs it would sound kinda horrible. And most rap songs are a perfect example.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a general decline in grammar in lyrics; that's true. And it does bother me. I don't mind it at all if it helps the song flow better, but sometimes I think it's done to add "character" to the song. But usually this does NOT work. I mean, seriously. Timbaland... "Can you handle me the way I are?" That's just so bad that it's distracting. I feel like it actually disrupts the flow of the song, and that's not even the worse example I can think of off the top of my head.

Then again, some of the decline in grammar could be attributed to people just generally not caring as much about grammar as they have in the past. The lack of subject-verb agreement, the replacement of you're with your, and the disappearance of the subjunctive mood all seem to indicate that grammar isn't stressed in schools like it once was. Alas...

By the way, "faster than I" is correct. I know someone else said that, but just so that he doesn't seem like the only person who says so, I thought I'd throw that in.
FC 40 Expert GH3X songs [X] #40, Monsters
FC 50 Expert GH3X songs [ ] 49, Pride And Joy
FC 20 GH1X Songs [X] #20, Sharp Dressed Man
FC 25 GH1X Songs [ ] 23, The Breaking Wheel
My Accomplishment Thread
^^Please, please tell me what you think I should go for next! =)

guitarroker  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kainiac wrote:
guitarroker wrote:

Ok. So rewrite the lines

Time is going by
so much faster than I

I haven't actually heard the song so I didn't realize that was supposed to rhyme, I kinda interpreted it as a single sentence not broken up like that.

laupow17 wrote:
By the way, "faster than I" is correct. I know someone else said that, but just so that he doesn't seem like the only person who says so, I thought I'd throw that in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it need to be "faster than I am" to be correct? You don't usually say "I'm better than he", you say "I'm better than he is".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
bummet3 wrote:

In rap, "drank" works in all forms, including as a noun. "He gon' drank the most drank" is accepted, I think. It's like using "is" with the first person. (I've never heard it with "are" until this point, so I'm not sure about that.) It's done intentionally, and it does disrupt the flow of the song if you're not used to it. But then again, there's a shitload of stuff that throws people off in music, e.g. 7/8 time. I kinda like it in rap.
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kainiac wrote:
ready2rock wrote:

The one I will call Nickelback on is the song "believe it or Not" where Chad somehow thought that "everyone have" and "everyone believe" is correct.

If they are commands this is correct.

They're not. They are all declarative sentences, not imperative.

Quote:
"Than I" is an adverb clause modifying the adjective "faster." All clauses, whether subordinate or independent, must have both a subject and a verb, so by saying "than me," you are saying "than me am going." These are also known as elliptical clauses.

...and I'm sure that's EXACTLY what Chad had in mind when he wrote those lyrics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheJackpotter wrote:
cobainage1994 wrote:
bummet3 wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't just the Afro-American accent? I know, this made me look racist.

No...

The song is called "Buy U a Drank" by T-Pain.

Honestly, nobody really cares about poor (not bad as the OP has it) grammar in the music industry. If you don't want to listen to songs that don't have perfect grammar, then go listen to instrumentals.

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: