ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How much posting is too much?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayfatha  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: How much posting is too much? Reply with quote

I've got alot of stuff I want to post in the Music Disscusion Forum, but i'm not sure how long I should wait between threads to make another one. What would you say is the proper time length?

YOU AND ME BABEH AINT NOTHIN BUT MAMMALS SO LETS DU IT LIEK THEY DU ON DA DISCOVERY CHANNEL *insert epic trombone*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website PSN Name: jayfatha
SpoonMan  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are all legitimate discussion topics then whatever. post away.

if (and i'm sure we all know which one it is) it's just a bunch of random crap, then keep it to yourself.
All Guitar-Only Games
WINNING.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and refrain from making too many topics, unless they bring valuable discussion. I mean, only so many bands can have their own topic before they just turn into Ya I like them or No I don't threads. There are also plenty of "Umbrella" threads that can fit most any band you have. Just remember to make sure your topics have actual discussion value.
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no succinct definition for too much posting. As long as it isn't spamming, trolling or post-whoring, you're in the proverbial clear.
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
Try and refrain from making too many topics, unless they bring valuable discussion. I mean, only so many bands can have their own topic before they just turn into Ya I like them or No I don't threads. There are also plenty of "Umbrella" threads that can fit most any band you have. Just remember to make sure your topics have actual discussion value.
Yes, a good poster will be able to stretch out to all the things they want to say in just one post.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
POKE-JJ  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: How much posting is too much? Reply with quote

Jayfatha wrote:
I've got alot of stuff I want to post in the Music Disscusion Forum, but i'm not sure how long I should wait between threads to make another one. What would you say is the proper time length?

Anything over 6 PPD is really unnecessary/postwhoring unless you are actually contributing something new or insightful to the topic. I can think of a few examples of postwhores (on the RB side) that could probably show you how it's NOT done.

That being said, there are several users have high PPD but contribute a lot of thought and insight in their posts.

Ultimately it's up to your discretion though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also try searching to see if a certain topic is already posted. 9/10 times it seems like people post a "new" topic without searching to see if it already existed. Unless of course you are coming at the topic with a completely new angle.
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no ceiling set for maximum posts in a given interval of time. However, there is a ceiling for maximum stupidity. And if you break that ceiling, then, well, you're really stupid.

Posts per day doesn't really say much. If a PPD value is high, than all it does is raise a flag signaling a moderator to check out your post history to make sure you aren't spamming crap on the forum. If your posts are actually relevant to the thread such that they further the discussion within, then it's fine. Remember, just because you extend a post to a whopping 2 or 3 sentences doesn't necessarily make it better than a 1-word post. It's all about content. Content content content. Of course, this is only the case if you do plan to post a lot. If you don't, as many here on SH do, then you can get away with some rather low quality posts. If you plan to post a lot, then you better have both the intelligence and the dedication to back it up.

(Edit: Let me elaborate on the whole "low quality post" thing. I'm not saying that if you don't post often, you're allowed to post shit. Rather, if you don't post often and you happen to make bad posts, you're not as likely to suffer from punishment as someone who both posts often and makes bad posts. Whether you are a frequent poster or mainly a lurker, please, utilize that brain of yours and make this forum a better place with good posts. And if you can't do that, then don't post. It's easy!)

In the end, just use your head. Common sense. Etiquette. That sort of thing.

If you plan on making a mass of threads though, definitely plan to space them out. Furthermore, attempt to find a common link between them in a way such that you can cut down just how many threads you want to make. If you somehow can't think of anything and you really want to inject 20 threads into Music Discussion, don't. Space them out. Posts are one thing, but threads are... well, they're different. And use the search button first to make sure you aren't making a repeat thread. Clones aren't cool. Well, that's not true, but clones of threads aren't cool.

(Edit: Oh, and definitely take note of what the above posters have said about making threads. One general tip I can give is that, before making a new thread, ask yourself the following: "what type of responses can I expect?" If the posts are generally boring and lack any discussion value (e.g. "I like/dislike them"), contain flames (e.g. "daevlol has shit taste"), attract morons (e.g. "This makes me a sahhhhhhhhhd nekomimi"), etc. then please refrain or rethink your opening post. It's not too difficult trying to predict this type of stuff, especially if you're accustomed to the forum scene in general.)
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a lot to say in Music Discussion, fair bet it's going to be individual bands. In that case, there's a general discussion topic for most genres, so you're better off discussing the bands in there rather than having a new topic for each one.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How much posting is too much? Reply with quote

Jayfatha wrote:

I kind of want to expand on what Cap'n said - if it's individual bands you want to post, be aware that not every band needs its own thread and, while you may have visions of dozens of happy posters flocking to your thread to suggest albums and similar artists for your and others' consumption, the reality after page 1 is far more likely to be three people saying "yh i like them theyre ok". There are broad threads such as the infamous Metal Thread where you can post about your favourite metal musicians - or, if you're absolutely sure there isn't an identical thread, why not create a thread for a specific genre? If half the bands you want to post about are post-grunge, for example, and there isn't a post-grunge thread anywhere in the forum, why not create one? You're more likely to create discussion value and your threads are therefore less likely to be locked.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Jayfatha  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
You might also try searching to see if a certain topic is already posted. 9/10 times it seems like people post a "new" topic without searching to see if it already existed.

I actually have searched through the forum, and i've got some stuff that hasnt yet been posted

YOU AND ME BABEH AINT NOTHIN BUT MAMMALS SO LETS DU IT LIEK THEY DU ON DA DISCOVERY CHANNEL *insert epic trombone*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website PSN Name: jayfatha
Jayfatha  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb, you have some VERY good ideas.

RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayfatha wrote:
Yewb, you have some VERY good ideas.

This is a prime example of too much posting (or some kind of variant, at least). What you said in this post could have been easily edited into the one before it.

(If this topic was still in GC when those posts were made, apologies and disregard.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: