Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Cross Country Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Cross Country Thread Reply with quote

Well, a few weeks ago SAW4135 suggested to me that I should (or one of us) make a Cross Country thread, since it seems that Cross Country runners are abundant on ScoreHero, moreso than most other popular sports combined (except soccer/futbol, probably).

Anyways, I have not been running very long, this is only my second year of running and although last year, when I was embarrasingly bad, didn't go over too well, I've trained throughout the year and I've improved a ton (I'm looking for a 6 minute improvement on a 3 mile race this week) so I'm looking forward to being a big part of a solid Frosh-Soph team this fall.

What about everyone else?

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
blackhawk12  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time somebody made a thread for this

I've also only been running Cross for two years, but this will be my fourth year of Track, running distance, so I'm not a total stranger to it.

My PR last year was 18:27 for a 5k. Not as low of a time as I wanted, but pretty good for being my first year in CC. Also, I plateau'd waaaaayyyy too early on in the season, so when our coach cut our mileage, I didn't improve very much. As for our team, as a whole, I was 8th runner (just out of varsity racing position) and we swept our Conference and Sections, boys and girls, varsity and JV. Also, guys went to State for the first time in school history and took 8th, very good all things considered.

This year looks like an entirely different story, for me. We're knocking down tons of miles like it's nothing (last week I only ran five days and managed more than 60 miles) We're just starting our speed workouts, and our first 10-man meet is this coming Friday. We have been running workouts, for our 4-7th ranked runners, at about a 17 minute 5k pace, so it'll be interesting to see what happens as the season progresses, and if we'll be able to hold together the amazing things that started last year.

My GH Acc. Thread |
TheThirdDay wrote:
Personally, I can't wait for March 20th: Blowjob, steak, and shut the fuck up day.
SAW4135  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually considered making this thread, but I was gonna wait for after my meet tomorrow

It's a friendly meet, its all our conference teams, many of which we won't actually see until conference due to there being 3 Class 3A schools, 2 2A schools, and a 1A school.

Not sure what my goals are for this year yet, I had a big setback this summer with surgery on my appendix, but I have hopefully recovered enough to be our 3rd man on the team until we bring back a runner from injury.

I'll post tomorrow with my results from the meet. It's a 3x 1 mile loops, first time anyone has ever run this course. I'm hoping to open up with a low 17:00, we'll just see what happens though

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I've noticed there are tons of runners on this site. I wonder why?

Anyway, I should probably start running again... haven't really seriously ran since high school, which was over 2 years ago. XD My best times were around 18:25 for 3 mile, 11:05 for 2 mile, and 5:05 for the mile. I was one of the slowest guys on the team, lmao. Still was a lot of fun, and met my best friends there. Good times.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
FDXCpinballwiz  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ran xc back in highschool, which I graduated last year and haven't run since lol.

My best 5k was an 18:27, best 2 mile was 11:02 and my best mile was a nice little 4:55. I love being a sub 5:00 miler lol. I also ran indoor and outdoor track...well that was until I got kicked off for saran wrapping a freshman >_> (apparently iniation isnt what it used to be)

My accomplishments page (530/567 fc's)

Add me on facebook
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FDXCp1nballw1z
GenericName  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is.

WTF!?

All of you people would be really good at my school, and you are all like "lul 17:00 three mile, I suk". The best people on our team are running like 18:00s and at the most one guy is maybe getting less than 16:00... And we are in line to win state this year. Of course, Louisiana is apparently the second worst state at Cross country, and it's a 1A school, but... still.

My best time last year, my first year, was a 29:58. And that was a major accomplishment for me. My worst time was like 40:30. >____________> But that my was first race ever. So ehh. :/

FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started running Cross Country during 9th grade last year. I was terrible I got like a 28:xx on my first 5k but near the end of the season had about 22:xx (somewhere near 22:05 or something). This year I am lokking forward to breaking that 22:00 milestone and aim somewhere around 21:30.

Also, blackhawk, you live in Minnesota correct? Is the meet by any chance in Rosemount?

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was 10 I had to run a mile. It took me 11 minutes. I hate running
blackhawk12  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FingerQuick wrote:
Also, blackhawk, you live in Minnesota correct? Is the meet by any chance in Rosemount?

Yes, I do live in Minnesota. The meet is at St. Olaf, where they held State last year. Such a difficult course, I'll probably die. Not really, but still... It was picked for the state meet for a reason, and having a huge hill 200 meters from the end is not very cool at all.

My GH Acc. Thread |
TheThirdDay wrote:
Personally, I can't wait for March 20th: Blowjob, steak, and shut the fuck up day.
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackhawk12 wrote:
FingerQuick wrote:

Yes, I do live in Minnesota. The meet is at St. Olaf, where they held State last year. Such a difficult course, I'll probably die. Not really, but still... It was picked for the state meet for a reason, and having a huge hill 200 meters from the end is not very cool at all.

haha, our team went to St. Olaf too. Not sure if it was state or not, but I think it was state.

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenericName wrote:
All I have to say is.

WTF!?

Well I do live in CA, which I'd assume is the best state in the country in terms of runners. My school was pretty good, though we never made it to state. I remember one guy ran sub-15 minute 3 mile his junior year. It was pretty intense. But for the most part our varsity team would pretty much all be under 16 minutes. Like I said, I was one of the slowest people on the team. XD

Oh, and at this one race, I think it was at Mt. SAC (hill course, I think it's the biggest meet in the country?) Some guy ran 13:40 or so. On a hill course, no less. (lots of downhills, but still) So yeah, lots more competition in CA than LA, lol.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
blackhawk12  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FingerQuick wrote:
blackhawk12 wrote:
FingerQuick wrote:

haha, our team went to St. Olaf too. Not sure if it was state or not, but I think it was state.

It'll be interesting to see if the course is the same as last year. I've heard from some of the guys that have been in CC longer that they changed it from three years ago. Apparently back then, they didn't have the two annoying laps through the woods around that very smelly, swampy pond. Instead, they kind of went out into the cornfields that were near the end of the course last year. All I know is that the second lap around the pond was hell, absolute hell. And then running full-tilt across the open soccer fields once you got out of there... Kill me now, it was sooooo fast!

Still nothing could ever possibly be as bad as the final mile at the Griak meet. I ran the first 2 miles in 11:00, and I finished at 19:30. I nearly died. My friend ran the first two miles with me, and finished at 21:30. THAT was very funny.

My GH Acc. Thread |
TheThirdDay wrote:
augthebomb  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started running around 5th grade. I joined the XC team and I loved it. Placed 15th out of 200+ students in my second year (our first year meet was cancelled due to this big snow storm in October). I dislocated my knee at the beginning of 7th grade, and had to stop running - we found out that I had a knee problem, passed down from my mom's side. Time goes by, and my friend kicks me in the back of the knee (go figure). He broke a piece of my femur off and dislocated my knee. I just recently had surgery to fix the problem, and plan to start running again. This year will be my freshman year, and the competition gets tougher in HS. My endurance has decreased over the years where I was unable to run. Does anyone have any good tips to getting back your endurance?

tl;dr: I need tips for gaining endurance.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Kamen Islands
blackhawk12  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
GenericName wrote:
All I have to say is.

WTF!?

Well I do live in CA, which I'd assume is the best state in the country in terms of runners. My school was pretty good, though we never made it to state. I remember one guy ran sub-15 minute 3 mile his junior year. It was pretty intense. But for the most part our varsity team would pretty much all be under 16 minutes. Like I said, I was one of the slowest people on the team. XD

Oh, and at this one race, I think it was at Mt. SAC (hill course, I think it's the biggest meet in the country?) Some guy ran 13:40 or so. On a hill course, no less. (lots of downhills, but still) So yeah, lots more competition in CA than LA, lol.

I couldn't even imagine competing against some of the people that run in CA. I mean, I love CC, but I don't want it to dominate my life like that. It's kind of more a hobby for me, something that I like to do, not something that I'll give every minute and every thought to.

augthebomb wrote:
Does anyone have any good tips to getting back your endurance?

The most helpful, immediate advice I would give would be to talk to your coach. If he's (she's) any good, he'll give you plently of good tips.

As for anything else, just start slowly and don't expect too much of yourself. For the first three or four weeks, run the same workouts on the same days of the week, gradually increasing pace but not mileage. After that first month, you can start building miles and doing isolated speed workouts. An important thing to remember is that it's not always about running fast and hard until you drop. Doing repeat 1k's is good, but they're even better if you throw 5 minutes of rest in between them. Rather than letting you recover, that time just builds the lactic acid in your legs, making it harder to keep the same pace. Increasing your lactic acid threshold is key to running fast races. Also remember that rest is just as important as working out. Don't burn yourself out with too much mileage, get plenty of sleep, keep well hydrated and eat plenty of simple and complex carbs and tons of fruits.

Hope it helps.

My GH Acc. Thread |
TheThirdDay wrote:
diddin  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't run cross country (I'm horribly out of shape and running is one of my least favorite things), but my school was state champions last year and with nobody on the team graduating, we're bound for a repeat. We are also ranked 11th in the nation. So yeah, cross country is kind of a big deal where I live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: