Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Magic The Gathering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamer9254  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Magic The Gathering Reply with quote

Okay, this is a game I have heard a LOT about. I used to play it before but never really got into it. I want to get into this more but have no where to start. Any ideas?

Also, Magic The Gathering general.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: LightSwitchTTM
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, I love Magic. I just recently found some friends to play against, so I actually use my decks again.

I <3 my Reanimate deck. I used to do type 2 but it just got too damn expensive... what kind of themed deck did you plan on running?
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm vaguely aware of this game. Every week or so my husband goes to his buddies house for a "Magic Night" (you know you're nerdy when you go to a friend's house to play cards and you don't mean Poker). I've come to the last few times with him, and proceeded nerd it up with his friends and their equally nerdy wives/girlfriends, but he won't let me play anymore because the last 3 times I played I swept everybody.

Why? I always use the res deck that our friend Tim has in reserve, and I always have fantastic luck with drawing all the right cards at all the right times. So no I'm not a genius at the game and I didn't have to spend any cash to have a great deck. I just have a friend who likes to see my husband beat and incredible luck in cards. Admittedly it's quite fun!

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
he won't let me play anymore because the last 3 times I played I swept everybody.

Is that because you have 5 magic dicks?

More on topic: Kind of looking to get into Magic, I've played a few times with the decks of friends and enjoyed it, but where do I start? Maybe I can just use online software and not bother actually buying cards.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
he won't let me play anymore because the last 3 times I played I swept everybody.

Is that because you have 5 magic dicks?

Yes.

(To ScoreHero, this is from a humorous IRC typo re: Magic once long ago. Fear my magic dicks. All of them.)

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played from 94-97, approximately, sold my cards in 2001. I had a Type 1 deck that was geared towards multi-player, e.g. fun stuff, more deliberately paced, gets stronger as you go. I also built a few tournament-style decks for 1-on-1 play that were less fun to deal with. I got close to $3K when I sold them off which I used to fund a cross-country move. I still have one deck for nostalgia reasons, an all-black that is decent for any style, but I haven't played in 10 years.

It was a fun game but to be competitive you needed to spend money, which was of course the point. (Type 2 etc. was invented to periodically obsolete the strongest decks).
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Magic The Gathering Reply with quote

Gamer9254 wrote:
Okay, this is a game I have heard a LOT about. I used to play it before but never really got into it. I want to get into this more but have no where to start. Any ideas?

Also, Magic The Gathering general.

If you have friends who play but are not super serious about building decks with expensive rare cards, I'd recommend the real life version. There's a new set or series or cycle or whatever you call it that just started, I think it's called 2012. If there are people around to play with you, it's probably going to be the more enjoyable route. If you don't know people who play, the online version is probably the way to go (and I can't speak much to that because I like playing with people and thus never got into the online version).

A lot of comic shops do tournaments on Friday nights, but from what I hear of those a lot of people are pretty competitive at those, so maybe not ideal for starting out.

There's also prerelease tournaments in a lot of places when new sets are coming out and those can be pretty friendly to new players because everyone comes in and builds a deck from scratch out of cards they get randomly and probably are not familiar with. As long as you understand the basics of the game, you can go in and do pretty well at one of those.

I started playing in fall of 2005; it was my sanity and reward as I was studying for my PhD exams. Some friends of mine who worked at the movie theater started teaching me and I played with them and a few other friends pretty regularly for a couple of years and went to a few prerelease tournaments in Atlanta. Then the friends who played either moved away or sold their cards, so I hadn't played much between 07 and going to PAX East in March 2010. That got me back interested and I just found out that a friend from church used to play a lot, so looks like I'll get to start playing again.

I definitely recommend the game. I kind of liken it to chess, but if there were more than six types of piece and you had to draw them out of a bag at random instead of having them all at the start. Every game is different and getting to build your own decks to your own preferences makes it even more interesting.

My favorites of my own decks: a black Spirit deck and a red-black-white deck that is an alteration of Charge of the Boros from the Ravnica set (quickness of playing red-white plus Dark Confidant to get basically two cards per turn makes for a vicious deck. If you can get the right lands early on. When it's good, it's really good, but sometimes it is really bad...)

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Magic The Gathering Reply with quote

woozerkristen wrote:
A lot of comic shops do tournaments on Friday nights, but from what I hear of those a lot of people are pretty competitive at those, so maybe not ideal for starting out.

I'm not a Magic player but in my experience Friday Night Magic is one of the more sociable, friendly environments you can get yourself into when starting up. That could of course just be my own store, but it's worth checking out I think.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic The Gathering Reply with quote

NavyCherub wrote:
woozerkristen wrote:

I'm not a Magic player but in my experience Friday Night Magic is one of the more sociable, friendly environments you can get yourself into when starting up. That could of course just be my own store, but it's worth checking out I think.

It all depends on the store. Where I played FNM at, they were super competitive. Back in Ravnica days, At least 2 people had the super expensive Zoo deck. I ran Red/Green beat, and had to keep up, unfortunately with money too. When you had to dump a couple hundred bucks into cards every 6 months... no thanks.
sukergod  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic was/is always a game thats close to me heart. I started playing in 96 around the time the Mirage bloc was out so I really like my cards from that era. I would still play today if I could unortunately every one of the people I played with stopped playing and I can't find anyone around to play even one game with, and I hate the online game so yeah it leaves me thousands of cards and no one around to play a game with

As for me, my favorite deck is a control/discard black and blue. Megrim/Bottomless Pit is my favorite combo, throw some spectors and hymn to tourachs along with clones/ vesuv. doppelgangers and counterspells in there and you got a nasty deck to play against. Those were the days
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few friends in middle school who got really into MTG, so I played for a while. I probably still have a couple decks at home somewhere. It's a fun game, but I don't really feel like buying more stuff, I already buy too many video games and books. My local game store (Compleat Strategist) does do FNM though, so maybe I'll check it out sometime.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
Magic was/is always a game thats close to me heart. I started playing in 96 around the time the Mirage bloc was out

When I started it was Revised / Antiquities, which is about the earliest you can start and NOT get all the really valuable stuff cheap .
blakstang98  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
As for me, my favorite deck is a control/discard black and blue. Megrim/Bottomless Pit is my favorite combo, throw some spectors and hymn to tourachs along with clones/ vesuv. doppelgangers and counterspells in there and you got a nasty deck to play against. Those were the days

Awww yeah, now we're talkin'! I used an all black hand destruction deck. Rituals, Spectre's, Hymn's, Racks and for good measure, an Underworld Dreams. I never realized how good of a deck idea it was until I stomped this dude who had really good cards. He was very impressed by that deck. Then when Mirage and Visions came out, I added some Stupors and Coercions. I was using Abyssal Spectre's with Hypnotics at some point, but they added cost was a little too much, even if it was only one more generic mana. I eventually added some black weenies to buff up on damage dealing and defense a bit. Then when Megrims and Bottomless Pits came, I had many sources for damage. I forget what expansion those came in though, but I stopped playing not too long after that. They had also restricted Hymns at that time too.

blingdomepiece wrote:
When I started it was Revised / Antiquities, which is about the earliest you can start and NOT get all the really valuable stuff cheap .

Same. At the time, dual lands were worth $10. Good luck trying to find them for probably $25 now. But I hear ya, getting the beastly cards was impossible without spending a fortune. As a junior high/high schooler, I couldn't come close to affording them. Sadly enough a fairly basic deck idea can still wreck a Moxite deck, so it was okay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started in between you all, I started at Ice Age. I wish they had kept the looks of the old cards, I don't like how they look nowadays at all. When I can I like to get the older style, if they existed.

I was really excited when they released Cold Snap, if they had released those cards when Ice Age was out, when they were supposed to, it would have wrecked the game.
sukergod  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakstang98 wrote:
Then when Megrims and Bottomless Pits came, I had many sources for damage. I forget what expansion those came in though, but I stopped playing not too long after that. They had also restricted Hymns at that time too.

Both came from Stronghold, part of the Tempest Block. I love that combo and then a simple small creature with this a Hatred also part of the tempest block.......yes it was my favorite block.....and last one I played.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: