ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Good, but cheap, external harddrives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Good, but cheap, external harddrives Reply with quote

Suggestions? I'm looking for a minimum of 500GB. Upwards of 1TB. I've got roughly 194GB left on my hardrive right now, and it won't take too long to fill up since my LP vids run anywhere for 500-750MB. Plus, it would be nice to just have the extra space for music and whatever else.

Anyways, want something that is reliable and at the same time cheap. Not Asia off brand cheap though. I have no idea what to really look for and I don't want to get suckered into buying a harddrive I *think* is a good deal.

f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you live near a fry's or microcenter, it's not unusual for them to have good deals on externals.

if your computer has esata or usb 3.0, i would really recommend getting an external with that interface, as it will be much faster than with usb 2.0. even if you don't have either of those i would still recommend a usb 3.0 drive, because there isn't really a price premium and when you eventually get a new computer you won't be limited by your drive's interface. also it is backward compatible with usb 2.0 so there won't be an issue with older computers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148864

that looks like a pretty good deal, $90 for a 1TB usb 3.0 drive from a reputable manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA1000101/dp/B0045JLPMO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

another good option, if you'd rather have something more portable. the first is a 3.5" (desktop) hard drive the second a 2.5" (laptop) hard drive. the 3.5 could be faster, though, if you're using usb 3.0.

i don't particularly have brand loyalty to seagate, although i have a rather old seagate drive that still runs great, and i had another one that (eventually) crapped out, they covered the warranty even though i didn't buy it from them (i bought it as a factory replaced refurb from a guy on anandtech.com, and eventually the drive had issues)! there are other good brands, of course, these were just at the top of the list of cheap drives from a good manufacturer when i did a quick look on newegg and amazon.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Seagate 1TB harddrive at Office Depot for like 80 bucks a couple of years ago. I haven't had any problems with it.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.frys.com/product/6167259

This is the hard drive I have, 1.5TB and no problems thus far. When I bought it 2 years ago it was around $80, so you can definitely see how much the prices have been jacked up because of the floods in Thailand that crippled the hard drive suppliers. You might have a hard time finding one that's overly cheap because of that... I'm not sure though (I'd be wary of something much cheaper than $80).

But with the kind of work I do, it's imperative to have constant backups of everything I'm doing. Totally worth even a $150 cost for that peace of mind. Hope that helps.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i swear by Western Digital product since 1995 and i still have old 20gb hdd running to this day. they are very reliable and very good product. i only had 1 HDD fail on me because of 7 back-to-back power surge. i know 1tb hdd are relaitvely cheap nowaday in usb 2.0 format, ~90$. 1.5tb are around 110$ and 3tb are 170$. all in canadian price. so in the US it might be even cheaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: