Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The (new?) SH Debate Club - introductory business
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: The (new?) SH Debate Club - introductory business Reply with quote

Hello. I'm sorta spinning this off from this thread.

The idea of SH Debate Club is, well, I'll just quote youhas

youhas wrote:
Honestly, if you put the spurs to me, I'd almost prefer that two awesome people I respect had an email conversation without outside influences, chatted at length about the topic at hand, and ultimately posted the conversation in one big ol' block for public consumption. Kind of like Grantland does things, only with something less sports-oriented. (I mean, if nothing else, I'm sure woozerkristen and I could find half-a-dozen subjects where polite, respectful, and amiable conversation could take place, where we find ourselves entrenched on opposite sides of an issue. )

Now I can't promise any awesome people that you respect, but how about SH members? Close enough, right?

My hope is that we can do a series of these. Topics and participants can be determined in this thread, then the two participants will debate each other via email (or PMs here if they prefer), then the transcript will be posted in a new dedicated thread on this forum, open to discussion from other SH members.

If you'd like to be a part of the SH Debate Club, please post saying so and I'll add your name below. If you'd like to suggest a topic for debate (even if you wouldn't personally want to be a debater), go ahead. I've started us off with a few potential ideas, based on things that have been argued on this forum already.

Ground Rules

1) Be polite. Even if you disagree, it's important to respect the opposite
opinion.

2) Stay on-topic. This applies during the debate and also in discussion afterward (which is why I'd rather each debate get a new thread).

3) Cite sources, but don't overdo it. It's important to give evidence of any claims you make, particularly if your debate partner is skeptical of them. However, you shouldn't overwhelm the debate with a flood of links.

Memberlist

- bclare
- youhas
- The-B.O.D.
- FingerQuick
- DeftrockX3
- ready2rock
- Vampyromaniac

Proposed Topics

- Economy / taxes
- Smoking (tobacco)
- Drugs & legality (non-tobacco)
- Oatmeal
- Does religion have a positive or negative impact on society?
- Overpopulation
- Alternative Medicine
- Abortion
- The role of marriage in society
- Should professional sports leagues have salary caps?
- What is art? (Subtopic: Can video games be considered art?)

Last edited by bclare on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bclare PSN Name: bclare1729
youhas  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My capacity to respond waxes and wanes like crazy, depending on what all is going on in my world... but this shebang was at least partially a function of my off-the-cuff pontificating, so sure: count me in. I primarily enjoy discussing broad-spectrum economic policy and rebutting hardcore libertarian/Objectivist standpoints, but I'm pretty much willing to kibbutz with anyone with opposing viewpoints who's willing to be polite and above board about matters. (I'm a San Francisco Bay Area person since before I was sentient, with many of the cultural trappings you'd assume that'd entail; feel free to slot me in for polite correspondence with those who might find such conversation(s) of interest.)

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be a part of this
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put overpopulation on the list and I may consider

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to be a part of this; I was briefly a member of the first group, but had way too much going on in my personal and academic lives to contribute much to it. I'm aware I can be a little abrasive sometimes, but I always try to keep things on an impersonal level, so it should be fine

I'd also put forward the topic of alternative medicine, faith healing etc.; but I feel we might have trouble finding someone willing to argue the positive side of that one.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.

Last edited by Yewb on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, never thought my thread would start something like this, but OK!

Suggestion: OK, religion is beaten to death on forums, so I won't suggest that, but I will suggest (and participate in) the topic of whether religion has a positive or negative impact on society.

Personally, I probably won't participate in too many of these because I don't feel confident enough in my knowledge in any of these topics to engage in a 1 on 1 debate with someone about it. However, you can bet that I will be watching from the sidelines to gain more information on these topics.

Another suggestion: I think that list could do with more philosophical discussions myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to contribute with talking about drugs/smoking/religion, but I can't guarantee I'll be posting in here like crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cool, responses.

I wasn't sure exactly how to take some of the responses, so let me know if you think you've been categorized incorrectly. The general intended outline of this process is

1) Pick a topic
2) Pick two people to debate each other (preferably who have different opinions)
3) Those two people email or PM each other a few times until they think they've said enough. Doesn't need to be essay length.
4) The transcript is posted on this forum (in a new thread)
5) Everyone else can discuss that topic on that forum, with the "official" debate as a starting point

Note that we don't need to say that one person or another "won" the debate. If nothing else, I hope to convey the idea that most of these discussions have no "right" answer, and different viewpoints should probably be able to agree or disagree.

Anyway, what topic would you guys like to see debated? Still open to more suggestions and signups of course.
PowerM3tal  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The morality of abortion is a debate I'd like to see.

Is this only for serious issues, or can we do something funny and debate a topic like 90's Nickelodeon vs. Present Nickelodeon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powerm3tal
bclare  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerM3tal wrote:
The morality of abortion is a debate I'd like to see.

Is this only for serious issues, or can we do something funny and debate a topic like 90's Nickelodeon vs. Present Nickelodeon?

I think we'll try to keep the "Debate Club" for more serious issues. Feel free to start a Nickelodeon thread though, I'm sure (no sarcasm) that you'd get some participation in that.
youhas  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh - honestly, if you had two people willing to treat a topic with the appropriate analysis and gravity? Where they weren't just looking to jam in cultural references willy-nilly, but were actively interested in holding a serious and frank discussion about the matter at hand? I'd be interested in reading it, even if the topic in question were something as frivolous as "Nickelodeon: '90s vs. Present Day". (I think I stopped watching the channel regularly in '91 or so and petered out completely by '94, and am more or less ignorant about their programming since then, so I don't even have a dog in that fight. I just think it'd be neat to hear about.)

(Although yes, that'd definitely be in the B-tier of Debate Club topics, right up there with "should the NFL have a salary cap?" sorts of lesser-caliber conversations.)

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bclare: sorry if I didn't make it clear, but you can put me on there as a member of this "club."

Also, how are you going to pick the people to participate. Are certain people going to "sign up" for certain topics, or is it going to be random?

Since we've had an economic policy debate thread here in the last few months, lets pick something else. I'll throw out the drug legalization topic since it's an issue that people are talking about more and more this election year and a lot of people on here seem to have strong informed opinions about it.

@PowerM3tal: I was actually going to suggest a topic about music (don't have a specific idea yet), and we can post that debate in the music forum.

Now that I think about it, we COULD try something that would have been locked on sight a couple years ago and do a RB vs GH debate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ready2rock wrote:
@bclare: sorry if I didn't make it clear, but you can put me on there as a member of this "club."

Also, how are you going to pick the people to participate. Are certain people going to "sign up" for certain topics, or is it going to be random?

Alright, wasn't sure if you wanted to be considered as a one-on-one debater, or just interested in posting. To be clear, you of course wouldn't have to volunteer yourself as a "member" to participate in a discussion thread afterward.

I'd like to decide what topic we're interested in first, then see who is interested in debating that topic among the members, and hopefully that narrows it down to a few people. Also it'd be better not to let someone debate consecutive topics, or at least try not to.

Quote:
Since we've had an economic policy debate thread here in the last few months, lets pick something else. I'll throw out the drug legalization topic since it's an issue that people are talking about more and more this election year and a lot of people on here seem to have strong informed opinions about it.

@PowerM3tal: I was actually going to suggest a topic about music (don't have a specific idea yet), and we can post that debate in the music forum.

Now that I think about it, we COULD try something that would have been locked on sight a couple years ago and do a RB vs GH debate

Like I said I was hoping for more serious discussion, but we can do other things too. As long as it's not completely subjective though; "Should the NFL have a salary cap" is a valid debate, "What's better: ___ or ___" is not.

I'd added a few more topic ideas; perhaps the last one is more what you were thinking of for "philosophical"?

edit: @vampyromaniac below, should I add you to the list then? As I said in this post, you don't have to be interested in every topic.

Last edited by bclare on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bclare PSN Name: bclare1729
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some pretty debate worthy opinions on taxation, drugs, and overpopulation, and could probably say a lot about religion also.
I'm not touching those others though (abortion, etc..). Also I agree with ready2rock that some philosophical discussions would be a nice addition.

You could probably add some more politically motivated ones such as capitalism vs. communism, or the merits of royalty by lineage.

EDIT2: Yes, add me please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: