Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Cards Against Humanity
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Cards Against Humanity Reply with quote

Out of idle curiosity: have any people here played Cards Against Humanity? It's sort of been spreading through my local social network like so many fire ants recently. A cursory search suggests that bclare and I have both played it, but I haven't seen any other references to it, and I was just wondering how widespread it was at this point.

The general gist of the game is "like Apples to Apples, but for terrible human beings". Everyone has a hand full of white "response" cards. Each person takes turns serving as judge, reading one of the black "prompt" cards, which will be either a question or a fill-in-the-blank situation; you play the response that you think is most likely to be selected as a winner by the judge. A reasonably standard and straightforward affair, save for the caliber of the responses on the white cards. A couple of example rounds from recent games I've played:

Prompt: What did the U.S. airdrop to the children of Afghanistan?
Responses:
- Fiery poops.
- A sad birthday party.
- Fancy Feast(tm).
- Soup that is too hot.
- Smallpox blankets.
- Neil Patrick Harris.

Prompt: "_____: kid tested; mother approved."
- Catapults.
- Incest.
- Being a dick to children.
- Stranger danger.
- Pac-Man uncontrollably guzzling cum, forever.
- Coat-hanger abortions.

Somewhat obviously, the sorts of responses above suggest that no well-adjusted human being should play this game, ever. Which naturally means that I've been spending my time getting roped into marathon sessions of it at the tail ends of all sorts of social gatherings. (Though at least it's proved a learning experience for some people. Sometimes it's highbrow "what is heteronormativity?" learning; sometimes it's... er, less-highbrow "what is pixelated bukkake?" learning. But at least we're slowly expanding everyone's horizons all the same.) It is definitely not a game for the easily-offended of any stripe, though, given the sheer scope that cards name-checking awful things - Auschwitz! white privilege! the Three-Fifths Compromise! passable transvestites! - touch upon. But if you're of a certain constitution, it's buckets of fun.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had actually played this, or had any amusing anecdotes of their own to relay, or if this was still confined to some sort of alpha-dork subset of humanity at this point.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of this, but this sounds like the sort of thing I would really enjoy.
Silly  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about it a few months ago. I love Apples to Apples, and I'm a reasonably terrible human being, so this is right up my alley. Sadly, no-one I know near me shares both of those traits, so I have no real opportunity to play.

however... I did just find this. Add in Skype, Vent or other choice of VoIP and some brewskies, and we might be onto something here...

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cards Against Humanity Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
Prompt: "_____: kid tested; mother approved."

The correct answer is Panda Sex. Anyway yes this game is great.
anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this game, but I've only ever played it online. I'd love to play it with people, if my IRL social circle wasn't close to non-existent.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
I love this game, but I've only ever played it online. I'd love to play it with people, if my IRL social circle wasn't close to non-existent.

Come to PAX, asshole.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, this is the right game for my IRL friend. haha very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What do old people smell like?" "Racism."
"What's there a lot of in Heaven?" "Kamikaze pilots."

PiemanLK wrote:

As for the first part: how does playing it online work? Has some clever person scripted up some sort of interactive app, or is it played in an IRC channel on the honor policy, or what? Just wondering.

As for the second part: if your real-life social network is looking threadbare - that is how my 2010 rolled - trawling through meetup.com can sometimes do wonders. (Though it's kind of spotty by region; I have no idea how active participants in... uh, Brava Centauri are on the site.) For me, there are approximately four hojillion local groups, covering every interest and subset of humanity imaginable. Hikers! Bikers! Amateur photographers! Geeks! Board game enthusiasts! Karaoke nuts! Guitar Hero / Rock Band players! (Seriously, on that last one. I met a small-but-important sector of my social network via showing up to GH/RB meetups.)

blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played it once last year. I was a bit too good at it :-P.
Kubuh  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
"What do old people smell like?" "Racism."
"What's there a lot of in Heaven?" "Kamikaze pilots."

PiemanLK wrote:

As for the first part: how does playing it online work? Has some clever person scripted up some sort of interactive app, or is it played in an IRC channel on the honor policy, or what? Just wondering.

We had quite fun with it a couple of months ago in IRC with an IRC script, some games were asbolutely insanely hilarious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
I have no idea how active participants in... uh, Brava Centauri are on the site.

Well, they promised us hover cars and space colonies, so ideally it would be easy to meet new people, but....well, EPCOT wasn't right about everything.

Kubuh wrote:
We had quite fun with it a couple of months ago in IRC with an IRC script, some games were asbolutely insanely hilarious

I think we need a concerted effort to get people to play it again. I mean, we're all always on #Triviahero, it just seems no one wants to start a game anymore. And we can drag youhas along to IRC, too.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
youhas  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Played it once last year. I was a bit too good at it :-P.

I actually finish last in many games that I play, simply because instead of methodically playing to the judge or whatever, my goal is to play the single most soul-searing card during the game. I may lose the game in spades, but if my actions spawn an anecdote or inside joke that perseveres for eons thereafter... well, then who's the real winner here?

PiemanLK wrote:
Kubuh wrote:
We had quite fun with it a couple of months ago in IRC with an IRC script, some games were absolutely insanely hilarious

I think we need a concerted effort to get people to play it again. I mean, we're all always on #Triviahero, it just seems no one wants to start a game anymore. And we can drag youhas along to IRC, too.

I freely admit, of all the random-pants options one might try to employ to finally drag me into IRC, "hey: Cards Against Humanity gameplay!" would probably be pretty high up on that there list.

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, "Assholes to Assholes." The game you wanted Apples to Apples to be. I'd love to play this more, but my real life social group is late-20s-or-30-somethings and most of them have kids, so we'd need to find a place to play out of earshot for sure. :P And the ones that don't would rather go out drinking or relive their lost college years than stay home and play a silly card game, so I'll have to do some fancy convincing to get like-minded terrible people to stay in and play it with us.

Also, I'd be down for an online game one of these days especially if youhas was involved. Lord knows I need to pop back in IRC more often. Just say when and where!

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is Cards Against Humanity available in my inferior country?"
^best line from the website FAQ

In other news, this does seem like the kind of thing I would enjoy (and dragging youhas into IRC sounds like a great deal of fun). We could always use that old SH_Debate channel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: